Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

The Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 2 - Cat and Mouse

As Harry escorted the two visitors up to the castle entrance, he noticed that beneath their cloaks each wore a scabbard but were apparently unarmed.

Clura smiled as they passed the students that were milling in front of the castle now, having either seen or heard about their arrival.

Harry got to the main steps, and climbed quickly up towards the entrance doors. Portier and Clura followed on either side of him.

Suddenly each of them gave a short, stifled cry. Harry turned quickly and managed to catch Clura before she was thrown backwards. Harry could do nothing for Portier who was now sprawled on the gravel path at the bottom of the steps.

"Are you okay?" asked Harry, wondering what had just happened.

"Fine thanks," replied Clura a little breathlessly, trying to find her feet again.

"Really nice welcome, Dumbledore, thanks a lot," muttered Portier as he got back to his feet.

The main doors opened and Dumbledore appeared. He paused to survey the scene a moment before descending the steps. Harry noticed he was carrying two long swords.

"You got our calling cards, I see," said Portier smiling widely.

"I also have two holes in my desk, as well," said Dumbledore handing them a sword each. "Really, an owl would have been quite sufficient."

"Thought you might appreciate some excitement," said Portier as they both sheathed their swords.

"How thoughtful," said Dumbledore, with none of his customary warmth. Harry had the distinct impression that these two visitors were not at all welcome. They clearly all knew each other but Harry thought it strange that they didn't shake hands.

Clura grinned at Dumbledore but Portier was staring up at the castle, as if studying its defences.

"To what do we owe this pleasure?"

"We need to talk," said Clura seriously.

"Can we go inside?" asked Portier.

"You can try," said Dumbledore, "but you may find it more comfortable out here. Besides, it's such a lovely day."

Portier shot Dumbledore a dark look but Clura said, "As you wish. How's Nicholas?"

"He's a little under the weather," admitted Dumbledore. "But why the sudden concern?"

"Aedon is coming," said Portier with barely concealed pleasure. He looked eager to see Dumbledore's reaction.

"Really?" Dumbledore said absently. If the news was of concern to him, he wasn't showing it.

"Yes," continued Portier. "He's going to make a challenge."

"His timing is impeccable," commented Dumbledore. He looked deep in thought.

Portier smiled widely.

Harry had no idea who this Aedon was or what this challenge was but he dearly wanted to wipe the smile of Portier's face.

Harry had known that Flamel was unwell. For the past two weeks Perenelle had been dashing between their home in Cornwall and Hogwarts. Perenelle had absolutely refused to give up tutoring History of Magic while she cared for her husband.

Harry and Hermione had suggested that they could continue to practise Defence with the DA for a while. Pansy and Stephen still continued to join in with Harry and Hermione for advanced duelling practise, but had refused to attend any DA meetings. After what happened in the Great Hall, Harry wasn't too surprised that they didn't want to have too high a profile.

History of Magic had quickly become everyone's favourite subject. Perenelle's unique way of bringing historical events and characters to life made an extraordinary difference. For the last three lessons, Harry hadn't even been able to find a seat. Students were actually skiving off lessons in the hope of joining in with a battle.

Indeed, the only time the numbers had become remotely sensible was when Perenelle organised a test. True to her word, the Goblin leader had been the question master. Most people, including Harry, soon realised that the threat of physical violence did wonders for their powers of recall.

Although Harry was sorry that Flamel was feeling unwell, he had accepted Dumbledore's assurances that it was nothing serious. Hermione, though, had been very worried and had reminded Harry that the Flamels might no longer enjoy the long and presumably healthy lives once they had used up their supplies of the Elixir of Youth.

In the short period the Hermione had known Nicholas Flamel, Harry knew she had grown to regard him with great affection. The long letters they had exchanged regularly were now replaced with short get-well soon messages from Hermione.

Dumbledore gave a great sigh.

"Will you be staying here or in the village?"

"Um, I assumed we'd still be banned," said Clura sheepishly.

"Indeed," agreed Dumbledore. "Come then, I'll show you to your guest quarters. Harry, thank you. I'll speak to you later."

Harry nodded and watched as the three of them climbed unhindered up the stairs.

*

Harry grinned as a very embarrassed looking Hermione spoke to Dumbledore in the entrance lobby. They had been going into the Great Hall for breakfast except that Crookshanks had stopped and insisted upon having his ears scratched.

Now he was the size of a Sabre-tooth tiger, absolutely no-one was in a position to argue with Crookshanks.

If he wanted a scratch, he got one.

If he wanted to come down to breakfast with them, Crookshanks could no longer be carried, pushed, pulled or bribed to go anywhere he didn't want to be. Of course, that was exactly what Harry, Hermione and most of Gryffindor had been trying to do for the last hour.

Dumbledore didn't appear to mind in the least that a Sabre-tooth tiger was now roaming amongst his students. He took obvious delight in scratching the purring beast as he listened to Hermione.

"Honestly, Professor," she was saying, "I don't know what's got into him."

"Oh, I shouldn't worry," Dumbledore replied. "Actually, I think this look rather suits him. I'm sure Hagrid will help out providing a suitable diet."

"I hope he doesn't stay like this. I'm not sure tigers are allowed as pets."

Dumbledore chuckled and said, "Well, cats are certainly permissible and the rules don't stipulate a maximum size, do they?"

"I suppose," agreed Hermione. "Mum and Dad might have something to say about it, though."

Crookshanks suddenly tensed, his full attention drawn to something moving slowly around the entrance lobby.

Harry had often seen Crookshanks behave this way before, when he'd seen a mouse or bird he wanted to catch. Harry watched as the still slightly bandy legged cat moved forward slightly.

Harry realised that it wasn't a mouse that Crookshanks was stalking now. He'd obviously moved on to bigger prey. His new mouse, it appeared, was Malfoy.

Malfoy froze and Crookshanks stopped dead. They looked at each other, but only one had a look of sheer terror on his face.

Suddenly Malfoy ran for it. He dashed for the doors and ran into the Great Hall, throwing the doors closed behind him. There were shouts from inside the Great Hall immediately after.

As Crookshanks sprang forward and Harry and Hermione gave chase, it occurred to Harry what a stupid thing Malfoy had done. Making no attempt to enter the closed doors, Crookshanks simply cantered through one of the still open doors immediately next to them.

Harry entered the Great Hall at a rush and just had time to see the look on Malfoy's face. He, Crabbe and Goyle were still trying to hold other the doors closed.

Malfoy ran again, this time towards the staff table.

Crookshanks leapt onto the Ravenclaw table and ran along its length, sending breakfast things flying. About half-way down he jumped lightly over to the Slytherin table and reached the end just before Malfoy.

The shouts and screams of the Ravenclaws and Slytherins were at this point drowned out by the cheers of the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs, who were clearly not rooting for Malfoy.

Crookshanks bared his teeth menacingly at Malfoy for a moment, apparently trying to decide where to take his first bite.

"Crookshanks, NO!" shouted Hermione from behind Harry.

Harry though, had slowed down to enjoy the moment. He could see what neither Malfoy nor Crookshanks had noticed yet.

Hagrid grabbed Crookshanks around his middle and lightly picked him off the table. Crookshanks struggled for a moment until he realised who it was that had grabbed him.

Laughing, Hagrid placed Crookshanks gently down on the floor.

Crookshanks immediately reared up, placing both forepaws on Hagrid's chest. Harry realised that Crookshanks just wanted another carry.

"Gerroff, you!" shouted Hagrid, grinning and pushing Crookshanks off him.

"Hermione," asked Hagrid loudly, "is it alright if I take this kitten out and get 'im some breakfast. I won't take 'im into the forest, in case he gets scared."

Crookshanks growled as if understanding the slight, but was soon purring as Hagrid scratched his ears.

"Thanks, Hagrid," Hermione said gratefully. "If you're sure he won't be any trouble."

"Wot, this big softy? No trouble."