Unofficial Portkey Archive

Can Love survive it all? by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Can Love survive it all?

Rid

A/n-This fiction was written two years ago, and has surfaced again in view of me having free time to myself and not having a novel length fic to write. I hope you enjoy it.

Pairings-DM/GW and HP/HG

Disclaimer-I don't own any of the characters you recognize below. They all belong to J K Rowling and other millionaire's.

My greatest gratitude to fallenwitch my beta reader, who so far is intrigued. Thank-you dear.

ALL FLASHBACKS AND PENSIVE MOMENTS WILL BE IN ITALICS. HOWEVER, ITALICIZED SENTENCES IN BETWEEN DIALOGUES INDICATE A PARTICULAR DETAIL OF IMPORTANCE. I REPEAT, ALL FLASHBACKS ARE IN ITALICS.

"Does this dress look good on me? Red isn't exactly my color - it clashes horribly with my hair," Ginny said studying her reflection in the mirror. Turning to one side and then another, she tried to find a flaw in the absolutely unflattering way the Muggle lady had set her hair. Inspite of her repeated requests to use a charm on her hair, Hermione had insisted that they visit a Muggle beauty salon.

"You're lucky. At least you don't have to wear anything remarkably close to blue that just seems to clash with everything else in your appearance," replied a slightly depressed Hermione Potter.

"Suddenly turning vain, are we?" asked Ginny, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"You would if your husband was the centre of affection of millions of witches," said Hermione, pulling a face and frowning slightly as her hair started curling again. "Honestly, one of these days I'm going to take Harry at his word and go and get my hair bonded," said Hermione, picking up a brown strand and then dropping it back unenthusiastically.

Ginny gave a small smile and turned back to study herself in the full-length mirror before her in the posh Victorian house which now belonged to her. It had been two years of a tender friendship and five months of a fragile yet sweet engagement between herself and Richard Anthony Roberts.

Richard had been a Ravenclaw five years her senior at Hogwarts. They had met at a recent party where Ginny was nurturing a broken heart, and Richard was dating a blonde Muggle. Their friendship had been the only thing that had kept Ginny sane while she went through the worst period of her life.

Ginny, who still nurtured a soft corner for a certain Slytherin, had accepted Richard's offer of marriage immediately, hoping the distraction would keep her mind off her heart's desire. It wasn't as if she didn't like Richard or anything. In fact, she always felt comfortable with him when they were together. Merlin knew he was her best friend and a wealthy businessman. Her family adored him, her nieces thought he was the next best thing to chocolate frogs, and Hermione felt that he was stable. Those things, besides the fact that Richard loved her, were more than enough for Ginny.

She just wasn't sure she was doing the right thing. She didn't even know if she truly loved Richard the same way he loved her.

But as far as she was concerned, she had already experienced the first flushes of reckless attraction. Her brief yet unforgettable liaison with a certain Slytherin in her sixth year had left her emotionally drained and handicapped. Rushing into any sort of relationship was impossible after the heartbreak she suffered at his hands.

Right now Ginny was only looking for someone who was comfortable and reliable; someone who could provide her with a safe and cozy homestead; someone who was responsible enough to father her children; and someone who would always think her beautiful, no matter how much she aged or how many obscurities popped up on her face.

Someone like Richard.

Despite all of this, Ginny was acutely aware of an unsatisfied void, deep in her heart, which only one man could fulfill. Unfortunately, she had already met the man held her heart and knew he could never love her back.

Even now, years later, she was still a gullible fool, remembering her toxic experience with the first signs of love. How could a man, who had never possessed a heart, come to love her? Her heart ached as the memories came flooding back.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Hey Gin," came a voice from behind her. Turning abruptly, she came face to face with her brother and his friends. She gave a smile of pure pleasure at seeing the golden trio and gave Harry a shy wave.

"So how was your Medical?" asked Ron, referring to the Medical NEWT level class that Ginny was taking to become a healer.

"Not so bad, but Madam Frieda couldn't make it. She was busy helping out with the pimple curse," she said, waving her hand vaguely.

A few days before the exams, a bunch of unsuspecting Slytherin girls wound up in the hospital wing, their faces covered in puss and red pimples. Professor Dumbledore immediately set out to find the culprits, and quickly discovered it was the work of a few Hufflepuffs who were still angry about loosing the Quidditch match to the Slytherins a day before.

"I just find it funny that the Hufflepuffs went after innocent Slytherin house members when they could have just as easily have hexed the team members instead." Hermione said as if the entire idea was ridiculous.

"Why, just so that they couldn't play and you wouldn't have to see your house loose The Quidditch Cup to us?" Drawled a voice behind them.

They spun around, coming face to face with their archenemy, Draco Malfoy.

"You wish, Malfoy. We haven't lost The Quidditch Cup unless there has been a Basilik on the prowl or a tournament. What makes you think we would this time?" Ginny crossed her arms.

Malfoy's firm smirk slipped for a moment, but he quickly recovered and shot back a retort. "Well, if you're so sure you'll win, Weasel, why don't we make a bet? If Gryffindor looses the upcoming match to Slytherin, you have to do anything I tell you to."

Draco watched with amusement as Ginny's face drained of some of its color , and she hesitated before responding.

Ron stood by, his face turning redder by the second, and Draco could see Potter's hands reaching for his wand. Feeling more confident, he smiled.

"What, afraid Scarface won't be able to catch the Snitch?"

"Watch your tongue, Malfoy, or I'll hex it off!" Ron warned.

"Lay off him, Ron. I'm not afraid of you, Malfoy. The bet is on."

Draco smirked and nodded his head. "The bet may be on, but the joke is on you, Weasley." He turned on his heel and vanished into the quick paced crowd of seventh years pouring out of the Hogwarts halls and into their classes.

Ginny gulped, avoiding her brother's eyes as she watched the empty space where Malfoy had previously stood.

This was definitely not a good sign.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That was how all her misery began. The events that followed were still too painful to recall.

She shook herself and pushed the past aside. She had a victory party to attend, in honor of her brother's defeat of the Chudley Canons, and she wouldn't let anything spoil the day, especially old memories.

"Ginny ,hurry up! You know how Ron gets when something ruins his perfect plans." Hermione called from the doorway where a sleek limo was waiting.

Ginny smiled at this comment. She knew EXACTLY how Ron got when things didn't go according to his plans. "You go ahead. I just need a moment to myself, okay?"

Knowing Ginny as well as she did, Hermione could feel her apprehension and in a soothing tone she quietly said, "Look, Gin, if this has anything to do with your engagement to Richard and your announcement today, I must tell you this. I think Richard wouldn't ever force you into doing something you don't want to," said Hermione, her faith in Richard surfing again.

Ginny smiled at her friend and gave her a hug. "I know that, Hermione, I'm just feeling a bit nervous, that's all. Why don't you go ahead in the limo without me, I'll take a cab and meet up with you there."

"You sure you're going to be alright?"

"Of-course."

Ginny waited until she was sure Hermione had left before turning back to the mirror from her position on the chair. She saw how beautiful the dress actually was and knew today would be special. She didn't intend on letting anything spoil it. Especially him. She urged herself to forget Draco and move on with her life.

Little did she know fate and destiny were plotting against her, and they certainly weren't through with her yet.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

a/n-Thanks for reading. Review!


-->