Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

AN: Sorry for the delay. Upgrade didn't exactly go to plan, but at least I have internet access again! Nice long chapter to continue with…

Chapter 12 - Mission Plan

Harry felt a little guilty when he bid Kreacher goodnight that he was leaving him and Dobby in the company of the Dursleys again.

In truth though, he couldn't wait to get away from there. As late as the hour was, he was sure he would not sleep a moment with them under the same roof.

Harry Apparated just outside the Burrow kitchen door to find all the lights still on inside but the house was quiet.

He opened the door and stepped in. Only then did he remember the security Claxton that the Ministry had just installed to detect intruders. Then he remembered that the Weasleys had added himself and Hermione to the limited number of welcome guests exempted from the alarm.

Hearing voices, he closed the door and proceeded towards the living room. He didn't wish to call out at such a late hour.

He found Ron and Hermione sitting very close together on the settee having a quiet conversation.

"Hi," he said gently.

"Hi," said Ron casually as Hermione jumped.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. I decided that I wouldn't be able to get any sleep there after all."

"Don't blame you mate," said Ron, now stretching and yawning. "Will you lock up? I'm going to bed."

"Sure," said Harry. "Goodnight."

Hermione was looking at her lap and brushing her hair back when Harry sat down in one of the easy chairs across from her in the small but welcoming room.

"You, um, never got the chance to tell me more about the Kemmynadow," said Hermione.

It was a moment before he answered. Half of him was busy reassuring himself that Hermione had often sat that close to both himself and Ron, and it hadn't meant anything. The other half was all for practicing the bone melting curse on a few of Ron's limbs.

Hermione's words, however, reminded him immediately of Dumbledore. Such thoughts were hardly worthy.

"I suppose," he said slowly, "the thing that excited me most was what happened when Fred and George handed me the book."

"Yes, where did you learn those words from?" asked Hermione. "Did Professor McGonagall tell you the chant when she told you about it?"

"No. Dumbledore's memory spoke to me. The extraordinary thing was the feeling I had. I could he his hand guiding mine. I felt part of his power. It was like at that moment nothing was impossible."

Hermione smiled seeing his expression.

"You always seem so alive when you speak about him," she said. "It's so nice to see a happy you for a moment, even if it's just for a moment."

Harry blushed a little.

"Harry, you said that you thought Dumbledore gave something to Voldemort that was charmed as a Kemmynadow bequest."

"Yes. I remember the letter quite clearly now."

"Yes, but Harry, how ever did Dumbledore do it?"

"I'm guessing that it was Dumbledore's last task for Fawkes. I think he got him to deliver it to Voldemort. I didn't actually see Fawkes, but Dumbledore wouldn't have allowed anyone to risk their lives delivering it."

"Mm, I suppose that could be right. But how did Dumbledore bind Voldemort into carrying out his wishes?"

"The only thing I can think of that might be similar is a binding magical contract. I was bound to compete in the Tri Wizard Tournament because I was bound, and yet I didn't put my name in the cup."

Hermione frowned, thinking for a long moment. Eventually she nodded slowly, but it was the kind of nod Harry had seen before. Hermione was agreeing until she could think of something more plausible.

"Have you any idea what the object is? I remember you said it was small and gold coloured."

Harry smiled and nodded.

"It can only be one thing. I'm sure it is a Phoenix egg."

"How did you know?"

"I realised it was singing to me. I could only hear it sometimes, and only then when nothing was happening. I think I just fell asleep without realising what I was hearing."

"Is it Fawkes?"

"No, I'm sure it isn't. He'll never be back. This is a new Phoenix; never been hatched."

"Will it be safe with Voldemort?"

"Phoenixes are immortal, aren't they? It will keep coming back as an egg until it is hatched."

"Could Voldemort keep it as a pet?"

"I doubt that he could get it to hatch. Even if he did, would he really want such a reminder of Dumbledore around?"

"I suppose not. But Harry, what lengths would Voldemort go to, to prevent you from getting hold of it?"

*

Once again Harry found himself in his disembodied dream state and looking up at a plain stone wall. Above him he could see a single wall lantern burning. He waited expectantly in the silence, willing himself not to get bored and drift off to into actual sleep.

To his immediate right there was darkness and it was only after several minutes that he realised that he was actually wedged in a narrow gap between some low piece of furniture and the wall.

"Out of sight, out of mind," Harry thought to himself, hopeful of once again overhearing some item of intelligence that he could tip Kingsley off about.

The amount of information he had gleaned was definitely reducing. Kingsley had told him straight away last time that the name Harry had overheard was fictitious.

An unseen door opened and then closed again.

Harry strained to hear as another door opened.

"My Lord, I thought you'd like to know," began an unfamiliar voice.

"Silence, fool!" hissed Voldemort.

"I'm sorry, my Lord," stuttered the man. "I did ask you commanded, Sir. I threw it against the wall while you were in the North Room."

"Are you sure it was destroyed? That thing is more resilient that it looks."

"Well, I threw it right against that wall. It has gone, as you can see. Every part of the floor is visible in this room. I assumed it had reappeared by your Lordship as before. Shall I go and find it? It may have just rolled under one of the chairs again."

Harry felt a thrill of realisation. They thought the egg he was listening and seeing things through was in another room, but he was actually jammed behind some piece of furniture.

"No, Penridge, don't bother. It is too late now, anyway. What did you wish to inform me?"

"The Wintersby brothers have reported in," said Penridge at once. "They overheard someone booking a private room in the Three Broomsticks."

"So?"

"It was one of the three. The Wintersbys are convinced that the meeting is tonight. I told them to stay there just in case. Should I send additional support, my Lord?"

"I hardly think she would be foolish to meet them in such a public place. I mean, she hasn't stepped foot out of Hogwarts since those fools appointed her, has she?"

"We only need to be lucky once, my Lord."

"You may be right. Wait for confirmation from the Wintersbys before sending anyone else. If she's outside the grounds it might be worth an attempt, even though she will undoubtedly be well protected. Penridge, I've changed my mind. Go and fetch me that object. I've thought of another test we might make."

Penridge snorted and said, "Yes, my Lord."

Harry forced himself to wake. He was sure they were planning to attack Professor McGonagall tonight.

As usual he contacted Kingsley Shacklebolt through the Floo network and told him everything he could remember, including the names of the Death Eaters he had overheard.

"Actually, Harry," said Kingsley grinning at him when he had finished, "for once we are a step ahead of you!"

"How come?"

"Well, we have arrested the Wintersby brothers. I just got the call before yours. The night patrol caught them acting suspiciously."

"That's great! What about Professor McGonagall and the people she was meeting?"

"The meeting was actually just a regular get together with some old school friends of Minerva. They were not meeting in Hogsmeade at all, actually. I've no idea why one of them booked a room, but Minerva has assured me she won't need to venture out of the school grounds tonight."

"Good. I mean, thanks, Kingsley."

"No, I'm just glad we're all looking out for her. I don't think the risk has reduced at all, despite what Minerva says. She's getting a bit tired of having to go around with protection."

"Well, I suppose I can understand that. Still, she should be safer with her friends around."

"I met those three once. I don't think I'll ever quite recover from being disapproved of wearing a red cloak in February. It was like Minerva to the power of four."

Harry laughed. Having been subjected to Professor McGonagall's disapproving look on several occasions, he dreaded the thought of three more at the same time.

"Harry, get some sleep," said Kingsley. "I promise everything is fine. Check back again later if you are worried. I'm on duty until four am, and we're due to meet later anyway."

"Okay. Thanks, Kingsley. Goodnight."

*

Harry tried to get back to sleep again, but remained restless and in the end he dressed quietly and made his way downstairs with half a mind to go for a walk. He knew he was worrying without good reason.

He began to make himself a cup of tea, but abandoned this half way through and sat in the chair by the fire. As he watched the dying embers in the grating, he finally dozed off again.

Unusually, he found himself in the middle of the floor, out in the open. For a moment he thought the room looked empty, but then he saw that a figure was lumped in a chair just at the edge of his vision.

Was this the Death Eater named Penridge, he wondered?

Harry supposed that Voldemort could have discovered the planned attack on McGonagall had failed before it had started and killed him out of anger. On further considering this, Harry thought it much more likely that Voldemort had discovered they had been overheard.

Suddenly, bright blue flames were dancing all around him.

The surprise of this woke Harry with a start. He was rather glad to be away from Voldemort's presence, especially while he was looking for new ways to destroy his bequest.

Harry frowned.

He couldn't quite place what it was that troubled him. Something about the scene he'd just witnessed just didn't seem quite right. He had been in open view and Voldemort had apparently been waiting for him to appear.

Harry ran towards the back door, grabbing his wand from the kitchen table. He had Disapparated away before he reached the door.

*

Harry tripped and stumbled as soon as he Apparated. The ground was uneven but his faltering was caused by the strange tearing sensation.

From his knees, he looked around desperately, knowing that he had almost splinched himself in his haste. He would need to be more careful in future.

He had Apparated just opposite The Three Broomsticks, and was about to get up when he heard a loud voice ring out.

"Bernard Laurie! What do you think you are doing? Tibbins, don't think I can't see you skulking about in the shadows either! Come out at once."

Professor McGonagall looked furious as two cloaked figured came reluctantly out of the shadows. Only one street lamp appeared to be working and most of the street was shrouded in darkness.

"Honestly, I'm surprised at you," she continued imperiously and obviously quite unafraid for her own safety. "What would your mother say, Tibbins? And Laurie, did your parents bring you up to behave like this?"

The two men were standing with their heads bowed, quite unable to look her in the eyes.

"And what did you hope to accomplish this evening?"

One of them mumbled, "We were ordered to, um, we were just ordered."

"Well, you are certainly old enough to know better," McGonagall continued. "You are also old enough to be responsible for your own actions. I suggest you either do what you came to do or withdraw. This is the last warning I shall give."

They looked at each other, clearly neither of them sure what to do. The decision to either fight McGonagall or face Voldemort's wrath was clearly a dilemma for them.

Suddenly Harry saw movement in the corner of his eye.

"Look out, Professor!" Harry shouted, getting to his feet and running towards the third accomplice.

Professor McGonagall stunned both her two hapless ex-pupils in an instant. At the same time Harry fired a barrage of stunners into the shadows.

Someone cried out and fell, just as another stunner was fired at McGonagall from the shadows Laurie had just come from. Professor McGonagall blocked the stunner easily and returned fire.

Not knowing how many there were, Harry ran back to her as fast as he could.

Cloaked figures were now emerging from the shadows all around them.

Harry fired, felling two at once. By the time he skidded to a halt next to Professor McGonagall, five more had appeared. She blocked three stunners at once and then fired some kind of percussion spell that knocked all three of the remaining attackers off their feet.

Two more stunners came out of the darkness from different directions, one narrowly missing Harry. There were clearly several more out there.

"No!" came a shout from one of the fallen Death Eaters, who could see more clearly than the others. "It's Potter."

After a volley of stunners that was clearly just intended to distract them, the remaining Death Eaters Disapparated away.

McGonagall walked over to one of the attackers still writhing in pain and stunned him.

"Are you alright, Professor?"

"Naturally," she replied, checking on their other captives. "I would take more than a couple of Death Eaters to prevent me from enjoying the evening air."

"There was more than a couple, Professor."

"I'm more interested learn why you are alone out here."

"I was worried about you," he said a little sheepishly. "They went because of me, I think. Voldemort has ordered them no to harm me."

"So your plan is to jump between every Death Eater and their potential victim, is it? Quite ingenious," she added sarcastically.

Harry couldn't believe he was actually being told off for coming to her assistance.

"I thought you told Kingsley that you wouldn't go outside the school tonight?" he countered, a little more aggressively than he intended.

"I made no such promise."

"He was lying, was he?" he asked, feeling the anger rise up inside him.

"He may have been mistaken," she admitted.

Harry sighed and said, "I was just worried. I'm sure Voldemort staged a couple of little scenes this evening to make us believe the attack had been foiled."

"Clearly."

"But what are you doing out here alone, Professor?"

"I'm not," she replied curtly. Then, looking over his shoulder, she said calmly, "No, it's alright Dotty."

The stunner hit Harry square in his back and he fell at once.

*

"Well, how was I supposed to know?"

"Who did you say he was, Minerva, dear?"

"Potter. It's Harry Potter."

"Who?"

"He's coming around, Minerva. Shall I stun him again?"

Harry opened his eyes in alarm to see a rather exasperated Professor McGonagall standing in front of three rather formidable looking women.

She immediately placed her hand on his arm and asked, "Are you feeling better, Harry?"

He nodded uncertainly as the three women skirted around her to get a better look at him as he lay on one of the bench seats in the bar of the Three Broomsticks. The large room was cold and looked strange with no customers present.

Without waiting to be introduced, the three witches set upon him mercilessly. One produced a brush from thin air and began combing through his hair. The second pointed a wand at his middle and began prodding him while the third made for his feet.

"What on earth are these?"

"They are called, trainers, I believe," said Professor McGonagall. "That kind of footwear is rather fashionable with the younger generation at the moment."

"But they're so dirty," the third witch complained. "And there are no bows! Don't worry, I'll fix them up. No trouble at all."

"He's a bit thin," complained the second witch. "Perhaps I should-."

At this, Harry forced his way to his feet. As he did so, Kingsley Shacklebolt Apparated next to Professor McGonagall.

"Evening ladies," he said with a grin, taking in Harry still struggling with the first witch and her hair brush.

All three paused to coo their hellos to Kingsley, giving Harry an opportunity to break free.

"You remember Kingsley, don't you girls?" said Professor McGonagall, deftly stepping between them and Harry. "No doubt he has come to arrest the Death Eaters."

Harry mustered the strength not to utter, "Yeah, and don't forget these three too," out loud.

"Of course we remember Kingsley!"

"Oh, yes! You had that nice cloak, didn't you?"

"Didn't you jump out of the window before we had a change to improve it like we suggested?"

Harry nodded to himself. Yes, jumping out a window would have been a welcome release.

Professor McGonagall drew Harry away and said quietly, "I'm sorry. They can get a little over enthusiastic sometimes."

Harry nodded blankly, marvelling that Kingsley hadn't just turned and ran for the open door by now.

"I appreciate you coming, Harry, but you should not have taken such a risk in coming alone. Promise me you'll not do it again."

"Will you promise me that you won't go wandering around outside the school?"

"Certainly not."

"Well, it looks like I won't be promising either because I'd do it all again."

"I know you would, Harry," she replied with the smallest of smiles. "I was pleased with your spellwork this evening, by the way. Fast and accurate in general, but with room for a little improvement."

"Next time, just concentrate on defending yourself rather than giving me a critique."

"I can assure you that it will take Death Eaters who are considerably more talented before I shall feel threatened."

"For all we know, those considerably more talented Death Eaters could have been here tonight," Harry retorted angrily. "If you won't consider your own safety, then at least consider the pupils you'll leave unprotected by your absence. Of course, from my perspective it doesn't look like you're planning on being around for the start of term, even. Very considerate, giving Voldemort's candidate a clear run from September the first. No point in upsetting the younger years with another funeral, is there?"

Harry stormed outside, ignoring the scandalised faces of McGonagall's school friends.

It took him a moment to compose himself before Disapparating. Just before he did so, he heard, "Such a nice young man. Who did you say he was again?"

*

Harry let go of Hermione and Ron's arms after they had Apparated directly into the dark passage outside the entrance to the underground complex.

Harry hadn't shared with them what had happened the previous evening. He would eventually, but he was still feeling far too angry and ashamed to tell them just yet. He felt terrible at having lost his temper with Professor McGonagall like that.

Of course, Hermione and Ron had known something was wrong since greeting him that morning. As usual, Ron was content to let Harry tell them in his own time but Hermione had been bursting to demand to know everything.

The really strange thing, thought Harry, was how lately Ron and Hermione no longer argued. Well, at least in front of him, anyway. Somehow, Harry found this quite disconcerting.

Perhaps it was his dark mood, but Harry had by now convinced himself that Hermione would be telling him something unwelcome very soon. He wouldn't make things any more difficult than they already were, he decided.

Bateman had told them that as Ron and Hermione were visiting for the first time, they needed to go through security.

They walked along the passageway, but this time the great roller shutter door began to open before they got as far as the sentry's booth.

John Bateman was standing waiting for them, together with a familiar looking security guard who looked none too pleased that more civilians were coming into his establishment.

Bateman smiled and greeted them.

"I thought I'd escort you down myself this time," he said. "Harry has a habit of getting distracted here," he joked, knowing full well that Harry had only visited once before.

They were quickly processed and escorted down into the briefing room. Kingsley was sitting alone in the room before they arrived and explained that the Prime Minister would be unable to attend this time.

While the others helped themselves to coffee, Kingsley took Harry to one side.

"I had a quiet chat with Minerva last night," he said, making sure they were not overheard. "Actually, it wasn't that quiet to be honest."

Harry looked down and admitted, "I feel so ashamed for shouting at her like that."

"Well, hopefully I've managed to get across to her how irresponsible she was. I called off our patrols on the basis of her assurances, you know? She maintains, of course, that it was only a half-hearted attack."

"It was, actually," agreed Harry.

"That is hardly the point. I reminded her that we've all been working hard to protect her, not because she is Hogwarts' new Headmistress but because we all care about her. I think you'll find yourself forgiven for your outburst, but you might want to make things up with her when you get the chance. I think she was more upset with seeing you march out of there more than anything else."

As Miss Alice swept into the room, Harry resolved to go and apologise to Professor McGonagall as soon as he could. He barely had a chance to introduce Ron and Hermione before Miss Alice called the meeting to order. It was clear that Harry wasn't alone in having a bad mood that morning.

"S396, will you bring us up to date on the break in?"

They had been advised of the attempt to break into the underground facility, but knew none of the details yet.

Bateman nodded and said, "The first explosion went off yesterday at just before Midnight. No one was hurt in the blast but afterwards we discovered two security guards that had been killed and concealed. The two victims were not authorised to enter the area, so we believe they were investigating something when they disturbed the intruders.

"I still can't work out why the intruders set the explosives to go off when they did. This is a twenty-four hour facility, but the quietest time is always around four in the morning."

"Could they have wanted to get out amongst a crowd of evacuating people?" asked Hermione.

"No, they would have needed time to find what they were after. All the affected levels were evacuated within minutes," advised Bateman.

Hermione nodded in understanding as Bateman smiled and gave a wink to Miss Alice. Harry was sure she had suggested the very same thing as Hermione just had.

"Two adjacent storage areas were breached. These were secured with outer doors and additional internal cages. The intruders used plastic explosives to blow the doors and a cutter top open the cages. They were clearly going for speed rather than finesse.

"We've had the explosive traces analysed and we are hopeful of identifying the manufacture details. There is usually a chemical fingerprint in the mix so we should get the original purchaser and date, although the trail may well end there. The explosions were too precise for this to have been home made.

"The cameras did not detect any unusual activity in the immediate hours before the explosion. This is a little strange. At the moment we're working on the principle that Miss Alice's guess that the explosive was placed some time ago but disguised to look like a part of the doors, is correct.

"The intruders took advantage of the gas fire suppression system. It takes a few minutes before it is safe to enter the area.

"Everything in the first storage area was destroyed by fire. Sensors show this happened after they got in there. Nothing was left at all."

Harry cleared his throat and asked, "Were they the Prophets?"

"Yes," said Miss Alice, turning to him.

"In that case, it was me. I mean, I destroyed them when I burned Dumbledore's parchment. His note told me to do it at once."

Miss Alice frowned to herself and then said, "So, it was a magical fire. It must have gone off while they were still in there."

"The cages were all intact on that side," confirmed Bateman. "At least they didn't get any of that information."

Miss Alice looked deep in thought.

"What was in the other storage area?" Ron asked Bateman quietly.

"Hardly anything of any importance," said Miss Alice at once. "Just old requisitions and personnel records. Nothing pertaining to our current endeavours was in there."

"That isn't entirely true, is it?" said Bateman, turning to Hermione. "Your parent's relocation records were in there. We moved them again as soon as we realised. They remain as safe as we can make them."

Hermione nodded shakily.

"This was an entirely non-magical break in," continued Miss Alice slowly. "It was the fire that was confusing me."

Bateman nodded silently.

"We need to act quickly," Miss Alice announced abruptly. "We have to get into the Ministry Archive as soon as possible. We have no idea whether he was acting independently or under Voldemort's orders."

Ron's sprung seat squeaked as he flinched. For once, Hermione didn't reprimand him.

Harry began to get a sinking feeling about who had been responsible for the break in.

"Yes," confirmed Bateman. "Brigadier Colonel Falcon has vanished and we don't really know when he went. He's been down here for so long he didn't appear on the evacuation rosters. He could have still been down here all the while during the break in."

"He could have acted on his own. He's wanted access to our records for ages. He could have gained access to check the other storage areas we have, but they only contain fake data," said Miss Alice.

"Surely, he must have been acting on his own?" said Hermione. "If Voldemort controlled him, he would have got the locations and got a Death Eater to Apparate directly inside the storage areas."

"I doubt that Voldemort would be very concerned about what we are up to. Judged against our last engagement, I imagine he'll be feeling rather smug," said Miss Alice.

"Suppose Voldemort has gained access to the Ministry Archive," suggested Hermione. "If that were true, he'd also have access to the Ministry reports on Falcon. He also knows that we are collaborating, so he'd be bound to look up everything he could find. He would be expecting Falcon to be intimately involved."

"And he'd expect him to be competent and rational", added Harry. "Perhaps he used the Imperious Curse on him and just told him to get access, relying on Falcon not to mess it up."

Miss Alice considered this before nodding slowly.

"How close are you to operational readiness?" she asked Bateman.

"We can go within twenty-four hours notice," replied Bateman, "but we won't have the Weasley equipment until the end of next week at the very earliest."

Miss Alice pursed her lips. "You'd also like some time to familiarise yourselves with the facility, wouldn't you?"

"Yes," he admitted, "and I'd like to get my team to spend a few more days doing mock raids based upon the old reservoir plans. We've already been taking a small refresher course in potholing."

"Well, there's no point in sending you down there unprepared if we can help it. I'm also conscious that we still don't know how to intercept and read the record data into our computers. That was our original objective."

"It may be more important to establish whether or not Voldemort has infiltrated the Archive."

"No," said Miss Alice firmly. "Let's set a provisional operational start date of Saturday week. I assume that is when the Archive will be quietest in terms of information requests?"

Kingsley nodded and said, "I'll put in to take that weekend off."

"Oh, no, that wouldn't do at all," said Miss Alice. "If you were to be caught, you would be punished as a Ministry Employee. We could not afford for you to be placed on other duties. In fact, I'd be far happier if you didn't even know the exact location of the Archive. Scrimgeour is already complaining about the time you've spent with us to date. He mustn't suspect you are working with us behind his back."

"But the Archive is bound to be powerfully protected," complained Kingsley.

"Perhaps," agreed Miss Alice, "but I doubt it."

"Why would you say that?"

"Who maintains the Archive?"

"That's a secret that few people know. I know it was once the responsibility of the Department of Magical Maintenance, but that was years ago. I only know that because my grandfather's barber was a retired Ministry official who worked in that department. I remember him talking about how it was his job to test it once every month by sending in a complex set of memos and retrieving them. It used to take him a month to check that the memos were all coming back in good order."

"The facility is entirely automated. I'll bet that no one has visited there for years. There'd be no need provided everything worked properly."

"I can't believe it never needs maintaining," Kingsley replied. "My internal memos are always going astray or getting delayed."

"Don't you suspect some of them have been intercepted?"

"No, not at all. I mean, I've often seen small groups of them stopping for a rest together on shelves, just like the owls used to do."

Miss Alice rolled her eyes.

"Do you really know where the Archive is?" asked Harry.

"Oh, yes, thanks to some detective work. The Archive used to be a natural cave at one time, but in the Fifties the Ministry needed to expand so they took over an adjacent underground water reservoir.

"Actually, we have no idea why the Water Authority built an underground facility when there would have been no objection to a traditional above ground reservoir. Perhaps they were able to get a better subsidy or something.

"We were able to find it simply because it vanished from maps and the memories of people in the area. Fortunately, our own archives were secure. I've yet to discover why a simple reservoir should have been classified information, but clearly it never occurred to the Ministry that we would keep such details.

"We assume that the Ministry drained the reservoir. It may have since been expanded, of course, but it originally covered several acres."

"What about houses that were served by the reservoir?" asked Hermione.

"My guess is that at first they installed water generating pipes. However, eventually a new above ground reservoir was constructed."

"Imagine, all those houses being served by magical water!"

Bateman unrolled a large map.

Harry stood to get a better view. He guessed it was an underground map of the caves but could make little sense of it otherwise.

"We believe we can find a way close to the old reservoir through this cave system. It will mean a journey of almost two miles underground, but by doing so we are hoping to avoid the need to blast our way inside."

"Why can't we just Apparate inside?" asked Ron.

"A number of reasons," answered Kingsley. "Firstly, even experienced wizards would have trouble getting through that rock strata. I imagine that is why the Ministry set the Archive up there in the first place. In addition, there will be charms all over the surrounding area to prevent break-ins."

"Oh, right," said Ron.

"But, won't there also be charms to protect the area from Muggles too?" asked Hermione.

"We assume there will be, yes," answered Miss Alice.

"That's why I've invited Harry along," said Bateman. "He was able to detect and disable the alarms in that detention block come hospital at the camp," he added, referring to the building that they had rescued some prisoners from.

"We're coming too, remember," said Hermione.

"Are you an experienced potholer, then?" asked Bateman with an enquiring smile.

"Doesn't matter," said Ron, grinning. "This Archive sounds just like a giant library."

"That's right," agreed Harry, laughing. "No library could ever keep Hermione out!"

Hermione seemed to realise that Bateman was just ribbing her but still only smiled rather than laughed along with the others.

"We won't all be meeting again before the operation begins," said Kingsley seriously. "The Prime Minister asked me to forward his best wishes for the success of this venture. He asks that you put lives ahead of the mission objectives. Please withdraw rather than sustain heavy casualties. For my part, I would again stress that this facility is supposed to have the highest levels of security."

Miss Alice looked rather uncomfortable.

Bateman smiled at her, knowing what she was about to say.

"I'm sorry, but we cannot afford to be sentimental about this. I am convinced that this will be an essential aid in our fight against Voldemort and his supporters. Information is power.

"Your orders will be to achieve success irrespective of casualties. Your three young conscripts here should be in no doubt that you and your men are not there to protect them. I suggest you agree what you will do in the event of suffering casualties."