Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

AN: Did you skip a chapter? Chapter 8 (Smoke and Mirrors) was a bit short, so here is the next one as well.

Chapter 9 - Murderous Tendencies

Harry and Bateman stepped out of the tiny lift into a small room. There was hardly any room, especially with the large sports bag Bateman was carrying.

"Harry, this room leads to the changing rooms of a clothes shop which has a front in the next street from where you came in. Apparate directly into this lobby and call the lift. Don't attempt to Apparate directly underground as you will just set of all the alarms."

Harry nodded and Bateman led the way outside. When they got out into the street, Bateman warned, "Don't attempt to come in from the street this way, either. You'll just be intercepted. Remember, we are not the only secret project around here."

After a short while, Harry said, "It was nice to see Hermione's parents. I didn't really get a chance to say goodbye when they left."

Bateman smiled and nodded.

"I'm not sure they entirely approve of the organisation they're servicing, but they've stuck at it. It's good they have decided to keep busy."

"They said they expected to move soon?"

"Yes, they leave this evening. If they weren't, you wouldn't have seen them at all."

"I guessed as much."

They walked on and Harry realised that felt a little awkward in Bateman's company. He was sure it was because he wasn't in any kind of uniform. He was dressed perfectly in a non-descript way with faded jeans, white polo shirt under a worn leather jacket. His trainers looked new but dirtied up.

If Harry hadn't seen Bateman conceal his automatic handgun and a lethal looking knife about himself, he would never have guessed that he was armed.

"I always feel uncomfortable walking around out of uniform," admitted Bateman quietly. "I'm not sure what I miss most, my rifle or a few stripes on my arm."

Harry snorted and glanced across to see Bateman grinning at him.

"I'd go with the stripes," said Harry laughing. "They'd never dare do anything with those on your arms."

"I don't know. They've never cut much ice with Miss Alice."

After a while, Harry voiced something that had been troubling him.

"Bear, I'm sorry if I made trouble for you with Falcon. You were right. It was stupid of me."

"Don't worry about it. Falcon won't be the one who kicks me out; although I accept it will happen sooner rather than later. Maybe I'll find myself a nice retirement home."

Harry suddenly had a vision of Bateman organising a geriatric assault course.

"Do you have any family?"

"No, not now. My second wife divorced me a few years ago. I've no idea what became of the first one."

Harry laughed despite himself, and asked, "How can you not know?"

"I came back from a tour in Germany and she was gone, that's all. I didn't blame her. It couldn't have been much to look forward to, knowing I was coming back off active service. It affects you; although it was years before I admitted it affected me."

"But how were you able to marry a second time without a divorce or something?"

"You sound like my lawyer," Bateman quipped. "Actually, that was just one of the reasons she thought my second marriage might not have been entirely above board."

"You didn't have any children?"

"No, not with either of my wives. It really didn't seem fair, anyway. I wouldn't have described our relationships as stable, even at the best of times. I do have a daughter, though. I haven't spoken to her in years, though."

"Maybe you should think about getting in touch."

Bateman didn't answer and they walked on in silence.

As they approached the crowded pavements where more shops were, Bateman directed Harry to walk ahead. He would walk a couple of steps behind and to the side so he could protect his back. He also gave Harry instructions about what he was to do in the event that they were attacked. Harry nodded, but inwardly had no intention of running to leave Bateman to fend for himself.

Quite soon after that, they arrived at The Leaky Cauldron. Bateman kept going straight past the entrance, but Harry grabbed him and pulled him inside.

The bar was empty when they came in, but Tom quickly appeared to welcome them. Harry introduced Bateman to him and asked if they could book a private room for dinner later on.

*

As Harry held open the door into Fred and George's shop, he muttered with a smile, "Don't say I didn't warn you."

Unlike the rest of Diagon Alley, this shop had several customers, a few of whom looked scandalised that a Muggle should have entered at all.

The shop looked bigger than Harry remembered it. He assumed that they had expanded the sales area to accommodate demand.

Harry looked around, but neither Fred nor George was in sight. Seeing Verity their assistant at a counter at the back of the shop, Harry touched Bateman's arm to signal for him to follow.

Bateman was looking around in wonder, but nodded and followed.

"Excuse me, but we have an appointment to see Fred and George," said Harry when Verity had finished serving a small boy who looked quite delighted with his small bag of exploding sherbet sweets.

His mother grabbed the bag at once saying, "Not indoors, Jeremy, dear."

"Mr Weasley and Mr Weasley are in their office, Sir. Who may I say is calling?"

There was what sounded like a small explosion just inside the main door. Obviously, Jeremy couldn't wait quite long enough.

"Harry Potter and John Bateman. We should be expected."

Verity disappeared out into the back while Bateman examined a display of "Smart Alec Wrist Bands." The label read, "The wearer is guaranteed(*) to respond with a quick witted insult to any affront directed at them. *If the wearer is unable to speak, the insult may not come out of the mouth in all cases."

"Harry!"

"Hello Fred," said Harry. "May I introduce John Bateman? He insisted upon meeting you."

Fred shook Bateman's hand enthusiastically and said, "Come on through."

Harry followed them through the stock room into a large office. George was already introducing himself before Harry had the chance.

Harry was surprised to see that Hermione was there too, arms crossed and wand in hand.

"Is Ron here too?" asked Harry quietly, as George slid out a chair for Bateman.

"No, I sent him home. He was being a bit of a pain," she muttered.

"Are you okay," asked Harry. He thought she looked a little upset.

Bateman leapt up again seeing Hermione. She smiled warmly and kissed him on his cheek.

"Hello, Sergeant Bateman," she said. "Is everybody well?"

"Oh, yes, thanks Hermione," Bateman said, returning to his seat. The others drew up chairs and George closed and sealed the office door. Fred waved his wand and a tray of teas appeared before him.

"As Harry said, I particularly wanted to meet the both of you. Those robes we borrowed worked wonders for us. Spells and curses just bounced off. I'm sure several of us owe you our lives."

"Oh, they were nothing," said George modestly.

"Unfortunately," continued Bateman, "although they were very effective in our early engagements, just recently our casualties have been rising."

Fred nodded sadly and said, "They are no substitute for a conjured shield."

"Have you developed them further?" asked Harry, hearing some faint popping noises in his ears.

Fred, George and Hermione looked blankly at him for a moment before snorting with laughter.

"Alright, what did you do to me?" Harry asked disdainfully.

"Nothing, Harry, honestly," said Fred, now laughing and wiping tears from his eyes.

Harry frowned but George continued, "Not really. You see the Ministry cancelled most of their new orders and forbade us from selling to private individuals for fear of them getting into the hands of Death Eaters."

"Is that likely?" asked Bateman, still staring in wonder at Harry.

"It already has. They caught a Death Eater wearing a set of our robes. We suspect he nicked them from one of his victims, but we couldn't prove it."

"I was going to ask if you would accept a commission from the British Government," said Bateman, unzipping his large sports bag and taking out a mottled dark green and black jacket.

"These are our latest combat clothes. These have bullet proof linings and a moderate degree of infrared suppression. They are also vented to allow comfortable running. We usually wear additional flack jacket protection and helmets, of course, but it would be a great help if we had your extra protection built in."

George took the jacket and examined the material carefully. Fred took the trousers Bateman offered him and did the same.

"I suppose you don't want them to be any heavier?"

"Well, another fabric layer would detract from the efficiency, but yes, I think we could cope with that."

Fred and George looked at each other and considered for a moment.

"There may be some limitations. What if the fabric could only withstand a single direct hit?"

"Well, I suppose I'd have to accept that. Could some spare fabric be charmed to provide a patch repair?"

"That's a good idea," said Fred.

"Okay, that's settled," said George. "So all we have to agree is the price."

"Can't you think of anything else but profit?" Hermione asked angrily.

"Hermione, these will be expensive to produce," said Fred at once. "We assume that they will need to have the strongest charms we can place on them and we need to find a way to bind them to non-natural fabrics. I'm guessing, but I'll bet that these fabrics will actually drain the magical protection away."

Hermione didn't look at all convinced.

"Hermione," said Bateman gently, "if they can make equipment and supplies that will save lives, I see no objection to them making a little money out of this."

"How about you produce a few prototypes at cost?" suggested Harry. "If they work you'll be able to negotiate a better price."

"Very diplomatic, Harry," said Fred with a grin. Harry could hear more popping as he said it.

"How many will you need initially?" asked George above the sniggers.

"One each for Harry, Hermione and Ron. I'll want fourteen sets for my team, with the idea that we test one set each to destruction. If they are okay, we'll take them with us."

George nodded and asked, "When do you need them?"

"Within three weeks and they are to be made to measure. It's important."

"Are you planning for something?" asked Hermione.

"Yes, but we can't talk about it here, Hermione," said Bateman. "Guys, I need you to be honest with me. If you can't deliver, I need to make alternative arrangements."

"Can we have a week to experiment?" asked Fred.

"Sure you can; but no more than that."

"What else have you been up to?" asked Harry, knowing now that he would hear more popping noises.

"We thought you'd never ask!" exclaimed Fred, who jumped up and dragged out a large cardboard box. "For our first item," he began dramatically, rummaging around in the box.

"George," said Hermione, taking the opportunity to cut in, "can't you do something?"

"I have no idea what you mean, Hermione," said George, grinning widely.

"I can't find it, George," complained Fred from within the box. "Oh, here it is!"

He triumphantly held up what looked like a piece of string.

"What is it?" asked Hermione.

"It's a piece of string!" cried Fred.

"Brilliant," said Hermione sarcastically.

"No, Hermione, it just looks like a piece of string. If you look closer, you'll see that it is actually cloth piping that is designed to be sewn onto your robes."

"What does it do?" asked Harry.

"Well, it was you and Hermione who gave us the idea, actually. If you are wearing this piping, then you won't be able to Disapparate, and neither will anyone else who is trying to use side along Apparition."

"That's how we lost some of our men," admitted Bateman.

"This piping should prevent that," said George. "We are currently trying to change the colour so it blends in."

"You could sew it inside," suggested Hermione.

"True, but then you'd miss the second benefit," said Fred.

"If you tear off a piece of piping, and conceal it about the person of an enemy, then when they Disapparate, they will splinch themselves. Effectively, they will be totally disarmed."

"How much piping do you need?" asked Harry.

"It varies. We recon that less than six inches and the splinching isn't effective enough. More than a couple of feet just prevents them from Disapparating."

Harry took the piping and said, "This stuff could be really useful."

"It certainly could," agreed Bateman. "Does it do any harm if you carry more than you need?"

"No, but obviously you'd be paying for more than you strictly need."

"I want all the new clothing to have this," said Bateman. "Sew some permanently inside for all except those for Harry, Ron and Hermione. All of them are to have tear off strips of these, including the trousers. The outside ones are to be black with Velcro type fastenings."

"Velcro?"

"That's a Muggle fastening," said Hermione. "Actually, I wondered if Madam Malkin couldn't come up with something better."

"Don't tell her what you are making, though," warned Harry, "and can't you do something about all this popping in my ears?"

Fred sniggered and disappeared into his box again. Bateman, Hermione and George managed not to look at him. He assumed this was because they feared laughing at whatever Fred and George had done to him.

"Sergeant Bateman, do you know how to use one of these?" asked Fred, holding up a throwing knife.

"Please, call me John," he insisted, taking the knife. "Yes, although throwing these things is really just for the movies, you know?"

"We'd like you to demonstrate something," said Fred, standing up and crossing the room away from the others.

"John, throw the knife at Fred."

"No," said Bateman at once. "I'm not about to risk injuring you like that."

"Its okay, Bear," said Harry. "I've seen them do this trick before."

Bateman looked like he felt he was making a mistake, but nevertheless held the knife up to examine the blade. His arm movement was so quick, Harry was afraid he'd actually managed to hit Fred with it.

The knife flew across the room. In the last instant there was a flash and a paper aeroplane hit Fred harmlessly in the chest.

"That was closer than it should have been," admitted Fred, sounding a little unnerved.

"I'll say it was," said George. "What we wanted to show was that wizards can quite easily defend themselves from projectiles."

"Yes, we've been learning the same thing," agreed Bateman. "If a skilled wizard knows the threat it is almost impossible to get them at close quarters."

"So," said George, reaching into the box and withdrawing another throwing knife, "we have developed this."

He handed the knife to Bateman.

"Don't throw that one at me yet," warned Fred, dragging over a dressmaker's dummy. "I'll stand behind this and try to defend myself as before. Aim at the target on the dummy's chest, but this time give me clear warning. Don't disguise your throw like last time."

Bateman did as he was asked and said, "I'll throw on three. One. Two. Three."

He threw the knife and Harry could see Fred's spell hit the knife about halfway between them. This time, however, the knife embedded itself deep in the chest of the dummy with a thunk.

"Not bad," said Bateman. "Can you make other projectiles that behave this way?"

"Oh, yes," said Fred. "It works by placing a charm on the knife. I don't see why we would have a problem charming other kinds of knife."

"Actually," said Bateman, "I was thinking of bullets." He drew out his handgun.

"Just a moment," interrupted Hermione. "There are a couple of things to consider. Firstly, you would need to test charmed bullets under more controlled conditions. It could be very dangerous otherwise."

"Hermione," complained Fred.

"No, I agree with Hermione," said Harry. "I've seen what automatic weapons can do. Let's not take any chances."

Bateman nodded and that settled the matter.

"The second thing concerns the charm," continued Hermione. "It's my guess that there is a defence that will work against your new charm. Once they know that, your advantage will be neutralised."

"Well, sure, eventually," agreed George reluctantly.

"That is the normal pattern with all weapon development, Hermione," said Bateman.

"Yes, but I suspect the advantage will be over almost as soon as you use it for the first time. Fred, George, could you think of a counter-curse for these?"

"We already have," admitted Fred. "We discovered it during testing. The thing is, it takes time to perform. Neither of us could beat John's speed."

"How about if your lives depended upon it?" asked Harry before sticking his fingers in his ears. The popping was getting louder and louder.

"Point taken," said George.

"Look, this is all very amusing and everything," said Hermione, pointing at Harry and not sounding at all amused.

"We thought so," said Fred with a laugh but then he faltered seeing George looking seriously at a box laying on the desk. Fred cleared his throat and said, "Well, perhaps this isn't the moment," pointing his wand at Harry.

"What was it?" asked Harry smiling, now that the popping noises had ceased.

"Well," said Bateman. "As you spoke your words appeared over your head, just out of your sight-line."

"Yes," added Hermione. "Sometimes they added additional comments too."

Harry laughed and waited for Fred or George to announce the name they had given this new joke, but they were looking uncharacteristically serious.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Harry, we can't begin to tell you how bad we feel about our Peruvian Darkness Powder being used by the Death Eaters in their attack on Hogwarts. We can't help feeling responsible."

"No," said Harry. "They had already got into the castle. Even without the powder, they would have found another way, I'm sure."

"Well, we've created something that will counter the effects. It is an amulet. Wear it on your wand arm and you will be able to produce a lumos spell that isn't affected by the Darkness Powder. We won't be marketing this to anyone, but we'll make as many as you need Harry. The only people who get them will be those you give them to. We know it's rather late in the day, but we felt it was only right."

Harry smiled sadly and nodded.

"We, er, do have a couple of other things in mind," said George, "but they are still on the drawing board. A couple of them will be rather expensive, but the Ministry made it clear that they wouldn't fund any research. We think Percy told them it was just for joke stuff."

"How much do you need?" asked Harry.

"We could be talking Tens of Thousands of Galleons, but we'll do what we can with the money we've made so far."

"Let me top your funds up," said Harry.

"Harry, you've already been more than generous as it is. There's no guarantee of success."

"Oh, I think you're worth the risk," said Harry smiling.

"There is one other matter," said George, reaching for the box on the desk. "Harry, shortly after we set up shop here, we had a visit from Dumbledore. He was just making sure we had done the right thing in leaving school early."

"Yeah, be bought quite a few things too. He joked that he wanted to get in quick before Filch banned them," added Fred.

"But his main reason for coming was to leave this with us," said George, lifting the lid off the box and lifting out a large, handsomely bound book with two large brass buckles holding it closed. "It is charmed, so we need to tell you about it first."

"This book is Dumbledore's original draft. This is just one of the volumes he wrote," said Fred.

"Professor McGonagall told me about them!" said Harry, quite delighted that he might have the opportunity to read some of Dumbledore's own writings.

"He said we had permission to read the book and use anything we needed. There's loads of great things in here, Harry, and almost none of it dangerous. It was originally destined to become a standard text at Hogwarts, only he never bothered to complete it."

"The really clever stuff," said George, "is in the crossovers between subjects. This book is all about combining Potions, Transfiguration and Charms."

Harry smiled remembering Professor McGonagall's objections to Dumbledore's ad-hoc lesson plans. Clearly, this book represented the potential Dumbledore envisioned.

"Can we see?" asked Hermione, who looked like she was bursting with curiosity. "I mean, Dumbledore was the greatest wizard of his age. I expect his insight would be amazing."

"Hang on, Hermione," said Fred. "Dumbledore charmed it so only we could read it. He was concerned that his writings might be used in Dark Magic."

"Harry, this book is yours. I mean, Dumbledore bequeathed it to you under the terms of his Will. We are obliged to give this to you and you are required to take it. He said it was important that you understand this. We expect something will happen when we hand it over."

"Yes," agreed Fred, standing and holding the book with George. "We've been afraid that we might forget what we learned from it."

"Would you rather keep it?" asked Harry.

"No. He was quite clear on that point. If we fail to honour his trust, the charm will begin to affect us in some way. He said the effect is not immediate, so we had a little time, but it might be harsh."

"As soon as he died, the book sealed itself shut. We know it won't open for us again."

"I see," said Harry. "Is there anything else I should know?"

"Dumbledore made a joke that we didn't really understand."

"What was it?"

"He said we might want to kill you to get the book back again," said George darkly.

"But that we would have to wait a few hours first," finished Fred.

"Gosh," said Hermione.

Harry frowned to himself and said, "I think that was a message for me. I'm sure he wasn't worried about you trying to kill me. Certainly, I'm not," he added with a smile.

"Well, we wondered if that was the case."

"Shall we do it now?" asked George hopefully.

"Sure, why not?" said Harry, stepping forward and holding out his hands.

As soon as his fingers got close to the leather binding of the book, blue sparks began to scatter all over the cover.

"Relinquo!" said Fred and George together.

The book jumped into his hands and Harry felt a shock right through his body. An instant later, Harry looked down to see the sparks forming a hand that gently pressed down upon his own. Harry knew at once this was a memory of Dumbledore.

Energy surged through him as Dumbledore's voice filled his head.

"You need to accept this bequest properly, Harry. Repeat the works aloud after me. The words simply mean that the bequest is completely offered and accepted. You will ensure they are protected from the effects of the curse."

Harry took a deep breath and spoke.

"Yrfelaf eall geoffrian ond clyppan!"

He felt that his voice seemed somehow different. He spoke much deeper than his usual voice. It was like the words themselves were evoking an older, wiser and more powerful wizard; a wizard that he might one day become.

Magical energy seemed to dance through the air, making their robes fly about as if they were in a high wind. Then it was calm again, and Harry knew that Dumbledore's charm had done its work and gone.

Harry turned the book over and lightly touched the buckles. Immediately, they sprang open and the book opened with purpose revealing the first page. It flipped over too quickly for him to read the dedication, but settled on the extensive contents page.

"Wow," said Harry, looking up.

Fred and George were still standing there looking rather shocked.

"You guys okay?" asked Harry with concern, closing the book again. "Any murderous tendencies yet?" he added with a grin.

They both shook their heads shakily.

"How about a drink in The Leaky Cauldron then? We're a little early for dinner, but I'm sure Tom won't mind," suggested Harry.

"I'd better warn your assistants that you'll be, er, recovering out of the office for the rest of the afternoon," said Hermione with a smile.

Harry and Bateman approached to make sure they were really alright. After a few moments of mute immobility, the twins were soon back to their normal selves.

"Listen," said Harry quietly, "I need to ask a favour."

"Sure, Harry. Anything," said Fred at once.

"I want you to give Ron a job here. It will only be part time though."

George suddenly looked rather less than keen.

"Look, I want him to have some money that he's earned himself," said Harry. "Most of the time he'll be off doing things for us, anyway. He'll also have a good excuse to be hanging around Diagon Alley. I'll pay you for his wages, but don't tell him or Hermione."

Hermione came back into the room and Harry raised his eyebrows meaningfully out of her sight.

"We were thinking about offering Ron a job here, Harry," announced George. "Provided you can spare him, that is. We know he'll be off with you for much of the time."

"Quite a lot of the time, we expect," said Fred, pointedly.

"That's a great idea," said Harry, smiling. "You'll pay him a decent wage, of course?"

"But he's family," objected Fred. "We didn't pay ourselves for ages!"

"We'll pay him what we think he's worth," said George, "but he won't get a staff discount."

"Why not?" asked Hermione, starting a good natured argument that didn't end until they were sat in the private room in The Leaky Cauldron where they all had dinner.

At around eleven o'clock that night, they all went outside to bid Bateman goodbye. Fortunately, he managed to flag down a taxi cab almost at once.

Fred and George returned to the dining table to finish off the wine with Verity and another of their assistants who had joined the party after the shop had closed for the evening.

Harry and Hermione bid them all goodnight before Flooing to the Room of Requirement.