Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

Chapter 17 - Because Mrs Weasley Said So

Carlyle didn't allow his injured arm to slow him up at all, even though he was in considerable pain. After the perils of the large cavern, the relatively narrow fissures that they needed to pass through were welcome.

Hermione's rock sticking charm was particularly useful and, instead of being the most difficult part of the journey, this became the easiest.

Their good progress even improved Bateman's bad mood.

He hadn't at all liked being summoned by Harry. Harry felt it wasn't so much the short flight or the undignified landing that had annoyed him. It was the fact that Harry had done it without asking permission or even warning him.

Worse, Bateman wasn't at all receptive to Harry's repeated apologies either. Thankfully, at least the others had enjoyed their short flight through the cavern.

"We have a problem," said Bateman seriously.

Ron stopped refilling Hagland's water canteen with his wand and listened. They were all resting, waiting for Carlyle to return having gone on to scout ahead with Bateman.

"There has been a cave in," said Carlyle, sitting down heavily. They had been on the move for hours now and they were all tiring. Carlyle looked especially exhausted, though.

"Was it blasted?" asked Careem.

"I can't really tell. It might have been, but I'm sure the rock fall happened years ago."

"Is there a way around?" asked Duke.

"Not to our original destination, no," said Bateman, opening his maps of the cave system again. "We were aiming for this end wall of the old reservoir," he said pointing.

"There's no way through to there," confirmed Carlyle, flexing his fingers.

"Hermione, we think we might be able to get through to here, though," said Bateman pointing down at the map again.

"That's where we assumed the original Archive was," she confirmed.

"Yes. The question is, will the original archive be impossible to break in to? I mean, we were not entirely confident about even getting into the old reservoir."

Hermione thought for a moment and then said, "I think we should still try. It is true that the Archive will be protected, but no less so than the reservoir might be. The only difference is that we don't have a convenient service access door to aim for. I never really believed it would be that easy, anyway."

Bateman snorted and said, "Okay. Let's eat while we have the chance. This will probably be our last rest break, so make the most of it."

They immediately brought out ration packs but were distracted somewhat by the red and white chequer pattern tablecloth that Ron produced.

The laughter continued as he threw it up into the air. Four legs appeared and a large table landed with a thud. Ron opened a deep drawer on one side and immediately plates, cutlery and napkins flew out and arranged themselves neatly on the tablecloth.

"Ron, what are you doing?"

"Mum said we had to have a proper meal if we were going to off with you lot again," he answered, opening the next drawer and pulling out a large earthenware pot. He placed it on the tablecloth and lifted the lid to reveal steaming vegetables.

"She did plenty for everyone," he said, continuing to put more hot food out as Hermione lit the candles she'd found inside another drawer.

The ration packs were soon abandoned as they proceeded to enjoy the most unlikely buffet that Harry could imagine. None of them ate very much, but it broke the mounting tension caused by the knowledge that they would soon reach their objective.

"This is even more surreal than the other things you lot can do," said Terri grinning.

"Yeah," agreed Smith. "Caving and having hot roast chicken is just too impossible."

"Well, maybe we should get used to doing impossible things," said Duke.

When everyone had finished, Ron grasped hold of the tablecloth edge with both hands and tugged quickly. The table and everything else vanished, leaving him to casually fold the cloth away.

"Dad bought this thing years ago," Ron explained conversationally. "Waste of money really. We hardly ever use it."

*

An hour later they were crouched behind some large boulders, the entrance to their destination only a few more feet away.

Bateman had stopped there to assess the situation. Ahead there was a dim, glowing light coming from a passageway entrance. There was also a strange mist hanging around the entrance.

Bateman turned back.

"I think we should be the ones to go first," said Hermione at once before he had a chance to speak.

"Yes," agreed Harry. "The first level of defences are bound to be simple repelling charms. You'll probably all suddenly remember that you have appointments elsewhere in a moment."

Bateman nodded reluctantly and said, "Alright, but please be careful."

"That mist looks familiar," said Harry, looking at the entrance. "The trick is to remember that it isn't real."

"I think we should avoid touching that mist, Harry," said Hermione. "Let's use Lentescopedis to climb around it. That way the others won't have to wait for us. They can follow."

When they were ready Harry led the way, followed by Hermione and then Ron. Bateman and the others followed.

Climbing like a spider would a wall, he easily followed the wall around and entered the passage right at the top of the arched ceiling cut into the rock. Once past the mist, he descended to the floor and removed Hermione's sticky feet charm.

He walked on a few feet and the roughly carved rock walls transformed into smooth marble. It was the marble that was glowing, bathing them in an eerie golden light.

Hermione soon caught up, and they proceeded side by side. They turned a corner and were confronted by the tunnel just ending. There was no end wall, but the darkness was complete. Not even Fred and George's amulets helped their wand lights penetrate the darkness.

Harry knelt down and felt the floor.

"The floor extends through the darkness," he said as Hermione confirmed the same was true of the walls.

"Here, hold my hand," said Harry. "I'm going to stick my head inside."

He did so and was immediately disoriented. Hermione pulled him back.

"That was strange," he said, shaking his head. "I bet the tunnel splits up later so you can't tell which is the way in or out."

"How much rope have we got?" asked Ron. "We can fix one end here so we can find the way out again."

"Good idea," agreed Harry.

"Hang on a moment," said Hermione. "Let me try something."

She raised her wand and fired something flame-like into the darkness. Nothing happened. She aimed slightly to the right, aiming at where the tunnel wall would be and fired again.

Her blue flame reappeared harmlessly on the other side where Harry was standing.

Hermione fired six more times and closely observed the angle and position where the flames re-emerged.

"I've got it," she said at last. "I know the way through. Well, at least the first part anyway. If the entire Archive is like this we have no chance."

"The first part will be fine," said Harry confidently. "Ron, got that rope?" Harry tied the end around his middle and then clipped Hermione on behind him. "Hermione, you guide me through. It it's clear, the others can follow the rope."

"Watch out for floor traps," warned Bateman, struggling to hold Smith still. "Quit it, will you? For the last time, you don't need to go back to set your video recorder! Since when did you watch soap operas, anyway?"

Harry knew that he needed to get a move on. As disciplined as Bateman's team were, they all looked like they wanted nothing more than to get away from there.

"Ron, keep calling out us how much rope you are playing out, okay?" asked Hermione.

Hermione stood behind him and placed a hand on each of his shoulders. Harry nodded, and they walked together into the darkness. As soon as they were both inside, they could no longer hear Ron counting.

Harry stretched his arms out and stepped forward, allowing Hermione to steer him. The darkness pressed into his eyes.

Hermione made three turns and then suddenly, Harry could see again. Seeing movement, he immediately pulled back.

"What is it?" whispered Hermione.

"We're at the edge, but I saw something," explained Harry. "I'm fine here. Follow the rope back and get the others to follow."

"Right," she said, releasing him.

Very slowly, Harry leaned forward so that hopefully only his face would emerge on the other side.

In front of him was a wide stone bridge. Opposite, the path appeared to split into two. It was on the far side that Harry had thought he had seen something. There was nothing there now, though.

He stepped forward, out of the darkness. Hermione and the others quickly followed, Ron bringing up the rear.

"Let go, will you," whispered Smith angrily. Seeing that he was no longer fighting the effects of the repelling charms, Bateman released him.

"I'm sure I saw movement on the other side of this bridge," said Harry.

Bateman nodded and unclipped the holster that held his hand gun.

They crossed the bridge but found that it didn't quite reach to the other side. Several stepping stones were provided to complete the passage over the strangely still water lake.

"Whatever happens," Harry found himself saying, "don't touch the water."

He stepped across to the other side.

"Left or right?" asked Ron.

"Right," said Harry at once, walking ahead. "This is the side I saw the movement."

They entered a wide corridor with a high curved ceiling. There were no lanterns but everything gave off the same glow to see by. Along the corridor every few feet there were small alcoves. As they walked on, Harry wondered if that was where they kept the records originally.

Then echoing voices could be heard.

"Take cover!" whispered Bateman from behind.

Harry rushed forward and into an alcove a few feet ahead. The voices were coming closer but he couldn't tell which direction they were coming from.

Out of sight, Harry heard another noise. It was another voice and was definitely coming from ahead of them, further down the corridor.

"Oh, my," said the quiet mournful voice.

Harry stuck his head out to look and saw a fleeting movement again. Something had gone into another alcove further ahead. He looked the other way. The corridor was darker the way he'd just come.

Trusting that the others would be alright for a moment, he crept out and along the corridor until he reached the alcove. Once he was level with it, however, he realised it was actually another smaller passage.

Hearing raised voices echo behind him, followed by a scuffle, he ran back to the others.

He had gone ahead further than he'd realised. In the short time it took him to run back, the others had all gone.

He turned seeing something in one of the alcoves.

Looking closer, he realised it was a legless and headless torso. Harry smiled seeing a familiar short length of cloth piping stuck to their robes, and realised that they had been splinched. He reached out and pulled the wand out from the stricken wizard's hand. The torso immediately writhed.

Harry stood, snapped the wand in two and stunned the torso so it wouldn't make any more noise. He wondered where the head had got to, and whether it was able to give any form of warning.

He listened for any sign of the others, but there was only silence now.

As there was no sign of the others, Harry decided to continue his pursuit of the person ahead. They had passed several other corridors and they could have gone down any one of them.

As he ran, Harry thought. There were wizards in the Archive. Although the splinched man wasn't wearing Death Eater robes, they would have to assume Voldemort's men were here.

Perhaps that is why it had been so easy to enter. Certainly, Hermione was expecting much worse.

*

Harry tore up and down every corridor and passage he could find until he was quite lost. There was no sign of anybody at all.

Stopping to catch his breath, he was alarmed to hear a softly spoken voice say, "Hello, are you from the Ministry?"

Harry started, pointing his wand towards the voice.

"Hello?" said Harry.

A ghost floated out from the wall. He looked rather elderly and was dressed like a monk. Several quills stuck out of his various pockets at odd angles.

"I can see you are not one of them," said the man in a feeble voice. "I just wondered if you were from the Ministry."

Harry recovered enough to say, "Who did you mean by them?"

"The people who broke in."

"When was that?" asked Harry uncertainly.

"About a month ago. I've been so worried."

"Ah, well in that case, no I'm not one of them," said Harry. "I came in with a different group. Have you seen anyone new around here?"

"Goodness, no! I've been hiding. I think I'm the last ghost left here."

"There were other ghosts here?"

"Certainly. We maintain the library for the Ministry, or rather we did."

"Did?"

"For some time, the ancient streams in the rock strata through which the information flowed back and forth from London have been closed off. Then, just over a month ago, the last one failed."

"Didn't you warn the Ministry that there were problems?"

"Nobody answered us, and all the while since, my colleagues have been vanishing."

Harry sighed deeply.

"Listen, we came here partly because we were afraid that Lord Voldemort might gain access here. It looks like he has succeeded, unfortunately."

"Voldemort? A lot of reports have been coming in about his activities."

"Yes."

"May I ask what other reason you had to come here?"

Harry hesitated before answering.

"We wanted to use the Archive to predict Voldemort's next moves. The information you have here could be used both to identify and locate his allies as well as his next victims."

"You have a particular interest in Voldemort then?"

"Well, we all do, don't we? Actually, yes I do have a particular interest."

"May I ask you name?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. My name is Harry Potter."

"Ah, indeed. My name is Scenariste."

"Hello, Scenariste. I'm glad you say Voldemort's name, by the way."

"I'm a librarian, Harry Potter. It's bad enough that we had to re-index all his Riddle entries to the V section. I'll never forgive him for that."

Harry grinned and said, "Scenariste, I need to find my friends and we also need to decide what we're going to do next."

"I wondered what you were doing in the labyrinth," said Scenariste. "This was originally designed as part of the defence system, you know. There are several interesting books on this part alone."

"Labyrinth? No wonder I got so lost! Could you show me out?"

"Yes, alright. Can you see me well enough to follow?"

On the way out, Harry confided the rest of their plan to Scenariste.

"Your friends are Muggles?"

"Yes. What do you think of our plan?"

"Ingenious, audacious even, but flawed. The twinned mirrors won't work in the Archive, I'm afraid. We chose this location precisely because the rocks give magical protection against such devices. Please don't think that wizards in the past have been above attempting exactly what you are."

"Were you involved in building this place too?"

"In life, I was a junior assistant to the Department Head responsible for constructing the original library. In those days, we were a Ministry Department in our own right, of course. It was a stunning success, if I say so myself."

"You should get together with my friend Hermione. She's mad about libraries too!"

"She sounds like an excellent person. A pity she didn't dissuade you from the dangers awaiting you down here."

"I'm afraid Hermione is here too. I just wish I knew that she was safe."

"Nowhere is entirely safe down here, Harry Potter. Let us proceed with haste."

"Yes, let's," agreed Harry. "Have you any idea how many men Voldemort has down here?"

"No, not really. Few venture into the old library. I have not been able to enter the reservoir for some time now. Something is clearly going on in there."

"Is that where the main Archive is kept?"

"Oh no. You see the documents are actually stored inside the rocks. That is why we ghosts are ideal to maintain the library."

"So, what is the underground reservoir used for?"

"Simply for the storage of physical things. At one time we held fabulous art treasures, but lately we have become something of a scrap heap for all the Ministry's rubbish that it cannot be seen to throw away."

"Um, Scenariste, if the mirrors had worked, could we have tapped into the archive?"

Scenariste chuckled and said, "You are not very subtle, Harry Potter."

"Sorry," Harry said smiling.

"When do you plan to tell me that we have to destroy my beautiful library?"

"Well, we can't really leave it in Voldemort's hands, can we?"

"Not even if I told you that he does not yet have true access?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he only has limited access in that so far he has only been able to read incoming and outgoing messages. He has, however, been able to disrupt our outgoings but he can only remove entire pages and scrolls. He cannot actually amend or rewrite the text, something that would be far more useful to him.

"I believe that is why we ghosts have become rather rare down here. He's trying to force us to help him."

"But what could he do to force a ghost to do anything?"

"Harry Potter, have you not heard how ghosts are created? I feared death too much to go on. We are all afraid of something."

"I'm sorry; yes, I was told something similar by another ghost. Is there no way you could get out of here and raise the alarm at the Ministry?"

"I am unable to leave here. None of us has been able to leave, ever since the problems began. Come, let us hurry to your friends."