Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

Chapter 20 - Traitor

Bateman grabbed a green surgical robe from a bench and covered the lower part of the body lying on the table in the middle of the room. From the other side, Harry reached out and pulled a flap of the material so that it better covered the naked torso.

Immediately, blood began soaking through the thin material.

Even the robe could do little to hide what had been done to the Healer's latest "patient". Both legs had been crudely removed leaving the stump wounds open. Most of the bleeding had been stemmed with tight metal bands that had cut into the flesh.

The body was propped up on some kind of iron cradle that tilted so that the head was facing forwards towards the window. This cradle appeared to both restrain the victim from moving as well as support body parts no longer entirely attached.

Harry assumed that some additional grafting had been planned, but he had no idea why the Healer had cut away at the chest like that. The flesh had been pulled away and the rig cage must have been removed because Harry had a clear view of the quivering heart as well as the lungs which were inflating and deflating with shallow breaths.

"How can he still be breathing?" whispered Bateman. "You need chest muscles and a diaphragm in order to breath."

Harry had no idea how his lungs actually worked but managed to say, "They must have been charmed."

"So he might not be alive then," Bateman suggested hopefully, lifting an eyelid to check if there was any eye movement.

As Bateman touched the victim's forehead, the figure lurched suddenly. The cradle creaked under the strain as Falcon fought against it.

Falcon opened his eyes and looked around desperately. He was prevented from moving his head properly by the cradle, and both Bateman and Harry instinctively moved to they were in his field of vision.

Harry felt rather than saw Bateman take out his knife. This would be a mercy killing.

Falcon opened his mouth to reveal broken teeth and a badly lacerated tongue. He looked like he was struggling to articulate something. As he strained, fresh blood trickled freely from his ear and nose.

"What are you trying to say?" asked Bateman, watching Falcon mouth words.

Falcon took a deep breath and tried again.

"Traitor?" said Harry. "He's saying Traitor!"

"Is he confessing?"

Harry shook his head. Falcon had a wild fearful look in his eye.

Falcon was now mouthing different words.

"Hidden journal," said Harry. "You've written a journal?"

"Yes," mouthed Falcon, staring intently at Harry now.

"Did you break into the Secure Stores?" asked Harry clearly.

Falcon appeared to go into some kind of fit but appeared to relax as his eyes became unfocussed. Harry knew he would not speak again. Eventually, Bateman checked his eyes and confirmed that he was dead.

Harry nodded and pointed his wand at the still beating heart and uttered, "Finite."

*

Bateman pulled Harry to one side while the others bid each other goodbye in the warm late August sun. Around them, Ministry wizards were Apparating and then hurrying down into the staircase which had been cunningly disguised as a giant pumpkin. Fortunately, either its remote location or the repelling charms had prevented this unusual sight being noticed.

"Harry, until we find out who Falcon was talking about, I don't want you to pay any more visits to the London facility."

"Okay, I understand."

"I'm also going to ask Kingsley to modify our memories."

"What?" asked Harry incredulously.

"Not everything, but I want to be sure we can't disclose anything that could be used against you personally."

"There must be another way. Besides, if there is a traitor won't they already know everything about me?"

"Actually, no. We've been very careful with what we recorded with regards to you. Don't worry, we'll continue the fight against Voldemort."

"I was more sorry that I might lose your friendship."

"I'd rather lose your friendship than become the cause of your downfall."

"Memory modifications can be broken," said Harry.

"Only by wizards," said Bateman reminded him gently. "Falcon said there was a traitor. That can only mean he suspected someone non-magical."

"I wonder where his journal is?"

"Well, that will be our first priority."

"Maybe Miss Alice can think of something."

"Harry, at this moment in time, nobody is above suspicion. We have the advantage in that hopefully we are the only ones to know about it at present."

"Is it possible he has already given that information up to the Death Eaters?"

"Yes, but he didn't look like he was being tortured for information."

Harry sighed deeply and Bateman gave his shoulder an encouraging squeeze.

"Look at what we've achieved, Harry. Two worlds have fought as allies. We've given the enemy a scare and seriously disrupted their plans. What's more," he added quietly, "we almost got him, didn't we?"

Harry nodded and remembering something, reached into a shoulder pocket.

"I want you to take this," he said, handing Bateman a large gold coin. "It is important that you remember to keep this. Messages will appear on the blank side, although you probably won't remember who is sending them. The messages will have to be quite short, but I'll be able to at least contact you if I need to."

Bateman examined the coin carefully.

"What's this on the other side?"

"That's a Phoenix motif. Hermione made these coins especially so we can communicate, but obviously you'll only be able to read yours. The coin will glow hot when a message appears."

Harry waved his wand over the coin.

"Messages can only show themselves while you are holding the coin. If you lose that hand, there'll be no more messages."

"Thanks, Harry. I'll make an effort to make sure I lose my other hand first."

Harry snorted.

"These must be pretty useful, especially if they work around places with magic."

"Well, it would have been useful, if I had remembered I was carrying it," admitted Harry sheepishly.

*

They returned to the Burrow later that afternoon. Harry stayed only long enough for a change of clothes and to assure Mrs Weasley that they were fine.

Harry Apparated straight into the basement kitchen at Grimmauld Place. He tapped on the boiler room door and said quietly, "Kreacher?"

There was no response.

Harry opened the door slowly, wondering if the house elf was asleep, but found his nest under the boiler empty.

He closed the door again and turned to look upstairs, when something caught his eye. He reached into the bin and pulled out a twisted silver picture frame. Still in the bin was the backing, bent in two and the torn up remains of the photograph was in there too.

"Pardon Dobby, Sir, but will Harry Potter be requiring anything?"

"Hello Dobby," said Harry. "What happened to Kreacher's photograph?"

"Kreacher did it, Harry Potter," said Dobby sadly. "He seemed upset."

"Where is he?"

"Upstairs, Sir, in the attic. Shall I fetch him?"

"No, I'll go and find him."

"I hope Harry Potter isn't annoyed with Dobby, Sir. Dobby didn't want to stay behind."

"No, Dobby. You did exactly what I wanted."

Harry climbed the staircase right to the very top of the house until he found the entrance to the attic. He opened the narrow door and entered.

It took a moment for his eyes to become accustomed to the darkness. Closing the door behind him, he walked slowly across the bare floorboards.

Kreacher was lying curled up in an old dog basket, apparently fast asleep.

Harry sat down on the floor and leaned back against a large tea crate. Judging by the little he could see of Kreacher, the house elf appeared to be unhurt.

Content, Harry sat in silence; watching over Kreacher and thinking about recent events.

*

Harry found the stillness and quiet in the attic to be rather comforting. He didn't feel inclined to move at all for several minutes. Finally, the hard floor and his tired muscles prompted him to stretch out a little.

"How long have you been awake?" he asked, seeing Kreacher watching him carefully.

Kreacher sat up and said, "Kreacher does not have a watch."

"You okay?" asked Harry. "Hey, what happened to you arm?" he added, seeing Kreacher's bandages.

"Kreacher was hurt at the top of the staircase but managed to raise the alarm."

"Yes, I heard. Thanks for that."

"Did Master find his friends?"

"Yes. They're all okay. Kreacher, what happened to your photograph? I saw what was left in the bin downstairs."

"Master does not like Miss Bellatrix."

"No, I don't much. I wouldn't want you to throw something you liked away just because of that."

The elf did not answer at once.

"Kreacher," he said slowly, "does not like Miss Bellatrix much either now."

"What happened?"

"Kreacher is afraid."

"What, of Bellatrix? I don't think she'll find you here."

"Kreacher is afraid of something Miss Bellatrix said. Miss Bellatrix said Kreacher is cursed; that the Kemmynadow will get Kreacher."

"What?" Harry exclaimed. "First of all, tell me when she said this."

"It was Miss Bellatrix who injured Kreacher. She caught Kreacher at the top of the reservoir stairs. Kreacher was kicked right down to the bottom again. Kreacher only got away because the ghost distracted Miss Bellatrix. It sounded like the Dark Lord wanted all the ghosts captured and they chased it."

Harry took a moment to calm himself.

"Kreacher, why would you think you could be affected by the Kemmynadow curse? That would only happen if Dumbledore gave you something that he intended to bequest to me."

Kreacher looked up at Harry fearfully.

"He did give you something?" said Harry getting to his knees.

Kreacher began to tremble.

"Listen," Harry said gently. "All you have to do is give whatever it is to me. You'd be safe then. Once the Kemmynadow curse is lifted, I promise I'll give whatever it is straight back."

"Miss Bellatrix told Kreacher that he was doomed. It has been too long. Miss Bellatrix laughed, saying the curse would now kill us both if Kreacher gave it up."

"How did she know you had anything to give me?"

"She said the Dark Lord knows everything."

"Rubbish," Harry said at once. "If Voldemort knew everything he'd have ducked instead of getting shot today."

"Why did Master promise to give the item back to Kreacher?"

"I just assumed it was something you wanted to keep."

"Kreacher only kept it to annoy Master."

"Can I see it?" asked Harry, adding with a smile, "I can't really be annoyed unless I know what it is I'm missing."

"Kreacher lost it," the elf said timidly. "Kreacher didn't know about the curse. Kreacher threw it away."

"What was it?"

"Something Master would have treasured. It was a letter from Dumbledore."

Harry looked down. Yes, he would have treasured a letter from Dumbledore.

"Listen. The letter wasn't cursed. Dumbledore asked someone else to give a piece of parchment to me, and that wasn't cursed. Besides, it isn't possible to lose any Kemmynadow object. It would have kept coming back to you.

"More than that though, there is no way that Dumbledore would have allowed a curse to harm you. He knew how much you've suffered at the hands of your Masters. There is no way he would add to that.

"You know what? I bet he even knew you'd lose it. It probably just said, Dear Harry, Just wanted to try out my nice new quill. Please throw this away will you?"

"Master is lying to Kreacher."

"Why would I do that?"

"Kreacher read Master's letter. Dumbledore told Kreacher what was in the letter, but Kreacher did not believe him. Kreacher was sure the letter told lies about him. Dumbledore wrote about Kreacher and Dursleys."

"What did he say?"

"Kreacher is too ashamed to tell. Dumbledore told the truth about Kreacher, but by then Kreacher had opened the envelope and broken the seal."

"What did he say about the Dursleys?"

"Master is angry with Kreacher."

"No, not angry. I won't pretend that I'm not very disappointed not to have Dumbledore's letter. I don't blame you for wanting to annoy me, though. I wasn't exactly pleased to have you, and I know I should have treated you better in the beginning."

"Does Master want Kreacher to punish himself?"

"I thought we were clear on the whole self punishment thing? Living in the same house as the Dursleys is punishment enough for anybody."

Kreacher looked almost disappointed.

"Is it me or does this attic seem over clean to you? I must tell Dobby to go easier on all the house cleaning."

"Dobby didn't clean up here. Master's Aunt has been house cleaning. Kreacher just stays out of her way."

"I don't blame you. So, you ready for dinner?"

"Kreacher will eat when Master orders it," the house elf said with the merest hint of a smile.

Harry rolled his eyes and followed Kreacher downstairs.

"Kreacher, you remember when I gave you my cloak?"

"No! Harry Potter is mistaken. Master did not give Kreacher anything! Nothing at all, and especially not clothes!"

"Okay," said Harry, completely taken aback at how upset the elf suddenly appeared to be. "Okay, I didn't give you anything," he agreed.

*

That evening, the Weasleys, Hermione and her parents jointed Harry and the Dursleys at Grimmauld Place for a celebration dinner. It took Harry quite a while to collect them all since none of them knew how to find the building now that the new Fidelius Charm was in effect.

Guest of honour, of course, was Kreacher who was required to give several blow-by-blow accounts of his adventure.

Out of respect for Harry's wishes, no magic at all was performed in front of the Dursleys. Even Fred and George managed to behave themselves, for the most part.

Late that evening, Harry found himself thumbing uninterestedly through the latest edition of the Evening Prophet.

-

YOU-KNOW-WHO FORCED OUT OF SECRET MINISTRY ARCHIVE

Several low ranking Death Eaters captured.

Minister Scrimgeour assures public that Kent Archive remains secure and no information lost.

Rumours persist that Muggles evicted He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named before Aurors arrived at scene. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named possibly wounded by charmed Muggle projectile. Alarm raised by Harry Potter's house elf. Potter unavailable for comment.

Latest: New Giant sighting in Midlands.

-

Harry threw the paper into the bin as Aunt Petunia entered the kitchen.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you," she began uncertainly. "It concerns Dumbledore."

"Yes?"

"You may recall that he stayed downstairs with us while you packed your things last summer."

Harry nodded.

"Well, he told us something. He asked if we were at all curious about this house. He said that by using the information he had mentioned, and would mention, in front of us he had effectively compromised your security."

Harry frowned and said, "He actually said that?"

"He even wrote the address down for us to read, just so we wouldn't forget."

"Did he say why?"

"Yes. He said that by doing so, he was placing our lives in your care in the event that anything happened to him. Of course, I thought for a long time that he'd done exactly the opposite."

Harry nodded slowly.

"He was right though, Harry. Our lives have been in your care for some time now, even though I can't imagine how we've come to deserve it."

Harry didn't answer. He no longer felt the need to.

*

A few days later, Harry sat alone in the living room at the Burrow trying to decide what his first message to Bateman should be. Beside him was the second gold coin that Hermione had made for him.

Although Harry had been expecting the news that confirmed that their memories had been modified, he was still saddened to think that he had been erased from John Bateman's memory. He was sorry that all of his team would no longer know him, but he would especially miss Bateman's friendship and good advice.

As if seeking some inspiration, Harry took out the small golden egg that he now carried around with him constantly. Every time he looked at it he was sure the intricate patterns in the surface had changed. It was unusually heavy too, feeling like it was made from solid gold.

Hermione came into the room and immediately sat down close to him on the settee.

She reached into her pocket and took out her own Phoenix egg.

"Mine's bigger than yours," boasted Harry with a grin.

Hermione snorted and held them up together. Harry's egg was indeed very slightly bigger, being almost an inch at its greatest length.

"So, are you going to explain all this to me yet?" he asked.

"I half hoped you would work it out for yourself, actually."

"Not a clue, Hermione."

Hermione gave a little involuntary squeak. She pulled the neck of her oversized jumper out and peered down inside.

"Hey, behave you! That scratched."

"You shouldn't encourage it, Hermione."

"Well, she likes the warmth."

"It is definitely a she then?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but when I read out the names I'd short-listed for her, she only responded to Phryne and that is traditionally a female name."

"You let it name itself?"

"Of course. How would you like to be practically immortal and be called by a name you didn't like?"

Hermione was fumbling around inside her jumper as she spoke. Eventually, she brought out a tiny chick that was incredibly ugly.

"Poor, Phryne," cooed Hermione as she stroked the bird. "Fancy being all burned up the very second you hatched from your egg."

In truth, Harry was a little miffed that the new-born Phoenix that Dumbledore had bequeathed to him, presently preferred the company of Hermione. Of course, if the bird continued to protect her against killing curses, he wouldn't remain too unhappy.

Besides, Crookshanks, who had taken only mild interest in the new arrival, had recently taken to following Harry around in preference to Hermione.

"Phryne?"

"Yes, after the Greek courtesan not the place, obviously."

"Er," said Harry, wondering how obvious this really was but deciding the sensible thing to do would be just to say, "Fair enough. Phryne it is, then. So where did these eggs come from?"

"I'm not entirely clear on why there were two eggs, to be honest. The standard texts always describe the Phoenix as an immortal creature that is re-born out of fire. Phoenix eggs are incredibly rare and were assumed to hatch in fire as well, but we now know that isn't correct. Or at least, not correct for our Phryne."

She turned to look up directly at him.

"Phryne was hatched out of love, Harry. In Voldemort's hands, she could never have been born."

"But the eggs?"

"I think that when Fawkes was born, another tiny egg was also created. Dumbledore kept it and nurtured it until it grew to the size it was when it was bequeathed to you."

"So, when Phryne hatched, her shell did the same thing as Fawkes' shell?"

"Absolutely. With love, the eggs will grow until, hopefully, they will be ready to hatch. That's why yours is bigger than mine is. You showed caring and compassion to Herita and Kreacher. Don't worry though, I'll soon catch you up."

"So could the eggs get smaller again?"

"Without love? Yes, I see what you mean. I don't really know."

"Don't worry, Hermione. As long as they stay anywhere near you, they'll never stop growing."

Hermione blushed and kissed him tenderly on the cheek.

It occurred to Harry that if she was right about how Phryne hatched, then it actually made sense that there would be two eggs rather than one. Just at the moment before Voldemort performed the killing curse, Harry had felt Hermione's feelings and she had felt his. Perhaps the strength of feeling made the difference.

"Dumbledore was taking an awful risk, wasn't he?" said Hermione. "I mean, having Voldemort give you his bequest."

"Well, not entirely. The Kemmynadow curse protected me, probably even more than we still know. I don't think Voldemort could even take a chance of ordering my death while the Kemmynadow was in effect. Dumbledore gave me a little more time to prepare as well as face Voldemort without fear for myself."

"Was it really worth the risk?"

"Definitely. I've seen how afraid Voldemort is for myself now."

"I'm glad you think so, Harry. He didn't seem very afraid to me."

Hermione sighed and said, "Dumbledore might at least have told you about what he had done."

"I think he might have tried," said Harry, thinking about Kreacher's letter.

They were quiet a moment.

Seeing the gold coin still resting on the arm of the settee, she said, "You'll miss him, won't you?"

"I do already."

"You don't need to decide upon a message today, Harry."

"I have decided, I think."

He picked up the coin and etched his short message using his wand.

"What is that number?"

"It's his daughter's telephone number. Kingsley got hold of it for me."

Harry looked up to see Hermione looking a little misty eyed. He raised up his arms and pulled her towards him. As they kissed, both ignoring the protests from Phryne for more attention, their two Phoenix eggs began to sing.

THE END

AN:

Well, that's (almost) it for this part. Thanks for reading and for your kind reviews. I am planning a third part which will introduce a new perspective to the struggle.

Update: Part Three of this story is called The Final Lesson.

Summary for The Final Lesson:-

While Ron's recent associations become of increasing concern to his friends and family, Harry becomes embroiled in an investigation to identify the traitor responsible for Voldemort's recent successes. Soon Harry and his Muggle friends cross paths again and together they try to solve the mystery before the Ministry becomes overrun by Voldemort's supporters. Harry comes to suspect there is more going on than he's been told. Continuation of The Kemmynadow Betrayal.

The Introduction and Character Profiles are here and the first Chapter is here.