Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

Chapter 3 - House Guests

A troubled Harry sat at the Grimmauld Place kitchen table staring into the dregs of his now cold coffee. Although there was a good swallow of coffee left in the cup, Harry had taken recently to leaving just enough to stop Dobby from hovering with a fresh pot and eager for him to have a refill.

He had just returned from the Burrow, where Ron and Hermione were staying.

Although he had gone there on the pretext of returning a number of minor items that been left by the Weasleys at one time or another, his real reason had been to speak to Hermione.

Over the course of Harry's self-imposed exile while he ensured that nothing of any use remained at Grimmauld Place, he had come aware of certain uncomfortable realisations. He was quite sure he was imagining things; Hermione was bound to pour scorn on these particular thoughts.

Well, he had been sure until his visit earlier in the day.

"Oh, Harry Dear," Mrs Weasley had exclaimed as she spotted him approaching the kitchen door carrying a large packing crate. He put the almost empty crate down hurriedly to greet her.

"Hi, Mrs Weasley," he replied warmly as she hugged him.

For some time now, Mrs Weasley had greeted him in this fashion every time she saw him. As usual when they broke apart, she was close to tears. Harry knew that the tears would come later, when they parted.

He guided her back into the kitchen and by the time the tea he'd made had finished brewing, she was ready to speak again.

"I just brought a few things back, you know, before we leave Sirius's."

"Oh, you really needn't have bothered," she replied, dabbing her eyes for the last time and putting away her handkerchief.

"Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Oh, they went for a walk earlier. Hermione was a bit down after her parents left this morning. We got a message to say they'd arrived safely, but of course we've no idea where they'll be."

Harry nodded. None of them knew where Mr and Mrs Granger had been in hiding before being called back a few days ago when Hermione had been kidnapped with Harry from the hospital camp.

"Ginny's in the orchard," she added hopefully. "She's thinning the fruit out."

Harry gave an embarrassed nod. He hadn't spoken to her at all about himself and Ginny, and he had no intention of ever doing so if he could help it.

"Mrs Weasley," he said gently. "I really hate to say this, but Ginny and I are not-." He paused awkwardly before saying, "What I'm trying to say is that any kind of speculation about who I may or may not be going out with could be very dangerous."

She nodded, but Harry was sure that wouldn't make her give up. He wondered how much she knew, or even thought she knew.

"You'll come and stay with us at the Burrow, of course, while you can't go back to Grimmauld Place?" she asked warmly.

Harry smiled and said, "I'm not sure yet, but thanks for the offer."

She smiled back and placed a hand on his forearm.

"Oh, but you'll stay for dinner?"

"Actually, I need to get back before Kreacher decides to pick a fight with Dobby again."

"Why don't you just forbid them from fighting?"

"Well, obviously I have. The problem is Kreacher keeps finding new ways to get around my orders. I forbade him from fighting ages ago, but he still pushed Dobby down the stairs. When I ordered him not to that, he tripped him down the stairs."

"Goodness!"

"Dobby refuses to allow me to send him away, of course," Harry said smiling. "Still, it's a lot better than it was."

"Hi, Harry," said Ginny entering the kitchen from the garden.

"Hi, Ginny," he replied warmly. "Have you seen Ron and Hermione?"

"Yes, they're in the orchard," she replied. "I think they are having a competition to shoot fruit off the trees."

Harry nodded and quickly drained his cup.

"Good," he said placing his cup on the draining board and heading for the door. "I'll see you before I leave."

Harry smiled hearing Hermione's loud laughter as he crossed the lawn towards the small orchard. It certainly sounded like she was cheering up.

As Harry entered the small orchard, he realised that they had abandoned thinning out the fruit by magical means.

A grin spread across his face as he first glimpsed Hermione, struggling with the long pole that presumably Ginny had been using to cut the smaller fruit off the high branches. Harry was sure that Hermione would, as usual, have thrashed Ron in any competition to shoot fruit using their wands. He was equally sure that Ron had challenged Hermione to thin the trees using non-magical means, knowing full well that she would struggle to beat him that way.

Hermione was having some difficult holding the pole steady enough. Several feet long, there was a secateur at the high end controlled by a wire actioned by a lever down the bottom. The fact that Hermione was laughing hysterically wasn't helping.

Ron came into view as Harry threaded his way through the fruit trees. He was almost doubled up from laughing.

As Harry approached, he didn't call out, not wishing to spoil the moment.

Ron appeared to take pity on Hermione and reached over to take the pole.

"Honestly, Hermione," he said laughing. "No one can be this bad!"

Then to Harry's growing unease, he continued, "Look, you do it like this."

Ron quickly placed his left hand over Hermione's and lifted the pole upright. He moved around her back to take the bottom of the pole in his other hand, again over hers. He pulled the pole towards them both and it became steady.

"See?" Ron said, raising the pole up expertly. "If you take the weight with your left hand, it leaves your right hand to point the pole and do the cutting."

As the sound of a falling apple reached his ears, Harry's thoughts were fixed on the gap, or rather the complete lack of any gap, between Hermione's back and Ron's front. He was suddenly very uncomfortable about their physical proximity, especially considering that they thought they were unobserved.

Harry thought he should make his presence known. He skirted around the nearest apple tree and called out, "Ron? Hermione?" so it seemed that he hadn't seen them.

By the time they were back in view, Ron was holding the pole alone. Harry was sure he hadn't moved, but Hermione was a few feet away now and looking a little flustered.

Harry had quickly told them about the locket, and asked Hermione to think about how they might destroy it when they got the chance. He then made his excuses hand left, abandoning his intention of speaking to Hermione alone.

Hermione had speculated animatedly about where they might find the information they would need. The spell would need to be a powerful one, and Harry was keen to avoid the kind of injuries that Dumbledore's withered and blackened hand had sustained when he had destroyed the ring Horcrux.

Throughout, Ron had listened to them in silence, propping himself up casually using the fruit picking pole. Unlike Hermione, he didn't appear at all excited or concerned at the prospect of destroying a genuine Horcrux.

Harry had left them feeling uncomfortable, but that feeling worsened later as he realised that throughout, Ron hadn't taken his eyes off him once. It seemed to Harry that Ron was giving him a coldly appraising look. A smile had played on Ron's lips that, by the time Harry had got back to Grimmauld Place, looked more like a sneer worthy of Draco Malfoy.

He shouldn't have been too surprised. After all, Harry had effectively stolen Hermione away from Ron. All of Ron's suspicions had turned out to be true, despite both his and Hermione's protests. At the time, their assertions had been true, but he knew that from Ron's perspective, this would have been hard to believe.

As much as he felt like going right back to the Burrow and punching Ron again, he knew this would hardly endear Hermione to him. He also knew that if it was okay for Harry to usurp Ron in Hermione's affections; it was also okay for Ron to do the same.

Harry shook his head.

He had no business having such suspicions about either of them. Harry also had to remind himself that Hermione had insisted that Ron needed to get used to the idea that they were over before Hermione's relationship with Harry was pushed in his face.

At the time, Harry had agreed this was the best thing to do; although he hadn't anticipated that Ron wouldn't give up on Hermione quite so easily.

A loud doorbell broke Harry from his reverie.

Harry climbed the stairs from the basement two at a time. He stumbled slightly over the worn carpet and reached the front door slightly out of breath.

He took a deep breath and began opening the door locks with his wand.

*

"Welcome to Grimmauld Place," Harry said a little awkwardly, closing the front door and quickly re-locking it.

He turned back to face his guests.

Uncle Vernon was looking too outraged to speak, Aunt Petunia was clutching her handbag to herself as if it were a shield and Dudley, who was clutching two large suitcases, was looking around fearfully.

"I'm sorry to do magic in front of you," he said putting his wand away. "It's just that I thought it would be safer this way. You're all looking very well," he added with a smile. "Obviously ocean cruises agree with you."

"Some cruise!" boomed Uncle Vernon. "I thought we were going to the Caribbean! What do you mean by sending us a cable telling us to get off at New York and come straight back?"

"I'm sorry, but it seemed for the best. I did suggest that you fly to New York and sail from there, remember? That way you'd have had a few days in the sun at least."

Uncle Vernon bristled with indignation.

"Look," said Harry quickly before he got back to full volume again, "why don't we go down to the kitchen and have some tea. I expect you'd like to know why I called you back."

Vernon's small eyes narrowed but as he didn't actually object verbally, Harry led them down the stairs to the basement.

*

Harry was relieved to find that Dobby had left a large teapot brewing on a tea tray that also held four cups and saucers, a small milk jug and a sugar bowl. As planned, neither Dobby nor Kreacher were in attendance.

"Please, take a seat," said Harry, nervously indicating the chairs around the large table.

Harry busied himself making them teas before sitting down himself. He took a sip of tea and noticed that just as Dudley absently brought his cup to his lips a warning look from his father stopped him from drinking.

Harry sighed with disappointment. If they wouldn't even drink here, he would need to think of something else.

Then Aunt Petunia lifted her cup and sipped her drink through pursed lips. As she lowered her hand, both Uncle Vernon and Dudley were looking at her in shock. Then, rather tentatively, they both drank a little.

Harry smiled at her. Aunt Petunia looked back at him as stonily as ever, so he cleared his throat to begin.

"I'm sorry I interrupted your trip. A few days ago we discovered something that meant there was a chance that Voldemort could gain access to this place. He would have used you to do it, and since the protections that Dumbledore placed on privet Drive have now gone, it would have been a simple matter for his Death Eaters to track you down.

"You were relatively safe while you were at sea. Wizards have problems Apparating to a moving target in the middle of the Atlantic, you see?

"Anyway, I'm glad you made it safely back. What we need to decide now is where the best place for you to stay is."

Just then there was a flapping sound and Hedwig flew expertly into the kitchen from the stairs. Harry realised that Dobby must have let her in through an upstairs window.

Hedwig dropped a scroll in front of Harry, circled the room and headed back up the stairs.

Puzzled, Harry said, "Excuse me," and then opened the unsealed scroll.

Harry,

I'm outside trying to get in but there's a problem. The door doesn't appear when I think of the address as usual. Please lift the Apparition wards a moment so I can come in.

Hurry up, it's starting to rain!

Love from,

Hermione

Harry frowned. This was written in Hermione's handwriting, but he had no idea why she couldn't get the door to appear to her. Feeling a little suspicious, he got absently to his feet. He certainly wasn't about to lift the Apparition wards and he was surprised she would even ask him to.

He hurried up to the entrance hall, where he found Dobby.

"I've looked, Sir," he said quietly. "It certainly looks like Miss Hermione outside. She's standing alone in the square. Shall I go and get her?"

"No, Dobby." said Harry. "I'll go. It may be a trick."

He quickly undid the locks but didn't open the door. Putting his invisibility cloak on, he opened the door a crack and looked outside. Hermione was standing alone, looking frustrated and very wet. Her gaze was following the houses along the square, but she kept appearing to skip over Number Twelve entirely.

Harry readied himself. He would need to be quick.

He checked up and down the street once more, then Apparated to right next to her. He grabbed her arm tightly and Disapparated them both back to the lobby.

Harry slammed the door closed again before Hermione could object.

He pulled off his invisibility cloak and pointed his wand at her.

"Hello, Hermione," he said pleasantly. "What's the password?"

"I like homework," she replied sarcastically. Harry's eyes widened for a moment as he remembered that was the phrase the impostor Hermione was supposed to have said.

"Harry, be serious!" she exclaimed, taking the warm towel being offered by Dobby. "Thank you, Dobby, and since when have we had a password?"

Harry allowed himself a roll of his eyes before locking the door again and pocketing his wand.

"Hermione, why did you want me to lift the wards?"

"Well, I thought that was better than you coming outside into the square, but I forgot you were free to Apparate in and out of here."

Hermione emerged from the towel and then pointed her wand at herself. A few flicks later, and Harry might never have guessed she had just been out in the rain. Another flick later and the towel flew back up to the linen basket, folded and dry.

"Um, Hermione, is this important? It's just that they have just arrived."

"Oh, right," she said heading immediately down the stairs. Harry followed with a feeling of trepidation. Just like Mrs Weasley, Hermione's barely concealed feelings towards the Dursleys could hardly help matters right then.

"Professor McGonagall left a message for you," Hermione said over her shoulder as she descended. "She assumed you were at the Burrow."

"What did she want?" he asked but Hermione had already entered the kitchen.

The Dursleys were still sitting at the kitchen table, each looking apprehensively towards the door, perhaps wondering exactly what was coming down the steps to greet them.

As Hermione stood imperiously before them, wand held loosely at her side, Harry could almost feel the enmity radiating from her.

"Um," Harry said nervously, "Hermione, this is my Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and their son Dudley." Turning to the Dursleys, Harry said, "This is Hermione Granger. You probably remember her from when you've picked me up from Kings Cross."

None of them even acknowledged each other.

"Right," said Harry uncertainly. "Would you like some tea, Hermione? Or, perhaps you don't have time?" he added hopefully.

"Tea would be lovely, Harry," she replied at once, taking a seat at the table and placing her wand on the table.

Harry quickly poured her tea and then sat back down again.

"What was Professor McGonagall's message?"

"Oh, she wanted to see you. She didn't go into details but she hinted the wards on this place may have been affected. She asked you to meet her in her office at eight o'clock tonight."

"Okay, thanks," said Harry.

"So," Hermione continued, addressing the Dursleys, "you managed to find this place?"

They nodded in unison.

"It was Hermione that figured out that you'd be able to find us, even if no one else could," said Harry. "You see, this property is protected. It is unplottable, which means that it cannot be located on any map or by any directions. It was also protected by a Fidelius Charm, which means that no one can reveal its location unless personally told where it is by the secret keeper.

"Professor Dumbledore spoke about Grimmauld Place to me in front of you when he came to pick me up last year. Because he was the secret keeper, you were able to find the front door."

"I suppose that explains why the taxi driver was unable to drive us any closer," said Aunt Petunia.

"Yes," agreed Harry.

"But why was it so important that we come directly here, boy?" asked Uncle Vernon aggressively. "It's bad enough that I had to take the time off that I have, but now I'm back I need to get back to work!"

"You know full well that your firm was perfectly happy for you to take an extended break," answered Harry firmly. "You were due to remain on that cruise for a few more weeks. Actually, they'll probably tell you to stay on leave given the number of orders that have come through."

"Ah, well," Uncle Vernon said sheepishly. "I met a lot of influential people on the ship and they expressed some interest."

"Well, I'm glad the first class tickets came in handy," continued Harry, "even if you did manage to advertise where you were. Anyway, as I explained in my letter, it would be best if you didn't go home for a while longer."

"This is intolerable!"

"You aren't the only ones affected, you know?" Hermione said angrily. "I had to say goodbye to my parents again this morning. They're in hiding now, but we didn't hear them complain!"

Harry sat down and wiped his eyes as the argument ensued. They were still arguing heatedly when he left for his appointment with Professor McGonagall at Hogwarts.