Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

Chapter 5 - Breakfast

Harry closed and locked the front door to Grimmauld Place as quietly as possible. It was now around one o'clock in the morning and the house was very still.

He had remained at Hogwarts far longer than he anticipated, but the time had simply flown by. After she had told him what she knew, and indeed what she suspected was happening to the wards at Grimmauld Place, they had sat and shared fond reminiscences about Dumbledore. It was clear she missed him just as much as Harry did.

Professor McGonagall had suggested that Dumbledore's Fidelius Charm should be expected to fail very shortly. Harry had asked why it was that instead of the house becoming visible to everyone, those given the secret like Hermione could no longer find the property. She had smiled enigmatically and said Dumbledore would have placed more than one charm to protect the property. In effect, he had built in a fail-safe to protect them.

She also suspected that Dumbledore had placed additional protections on the house while it had been vacated by the Order and once he knew that Sirius had wished Harry to inherit the property.

Harry crept down into the basement with the intention of making himself a hot drink before turning in. As he descended the stairs, he began to relax and realised how tired he was. Remembering that he had to be out early the next morning, Harry almost turned about on the stairs to go straight up to bed.

Harry entered the kitchen to find Hermione asleep at the table with her head resting on folded arms. A single candle was still burning low next to her.

He went over and gently stroked her arm. Almost immediately her head shot up and Harry was a little taken aback to find her wand being pointed at him.

"Oh, it's you, Harry," she said sleepily brushing back her hair.

"You needn't have waited up, Hermione."

She gave a small shrug followed by a wide yawn.

"Wouldn't you be more comfortable in bed?"

"Probably, but I wanted to know how you got on with Professor McGonagall."

Harry snorted and said, "Perhaps both of us need to be more awake when I tell you properly. Dumbledore's Will has been published and he left me a couple of things. Actually, I only know what one of them is because he entrusted them with other people. He left most of his things to Hogwarts."

"That was thoughtful. I suppose the one you know about was given to Professor McGonagall?"

"Yes. I was a," he began before hesitating, "a kind of book."

"A book?" she said interestedly. "Do you have it with you?"

"No, Professor McGonagall thought it was too dangerous to risk my losing it. I've left it in the Room of Requirement for now."

"Dangerous?"

"Yes. She wasn't at all keen on my having it really. You see, it's a collection of the Dark Magic that Dumbledore encountered. There are instructions on both using and countering the spells, as well as his thoughts on the Unforgivable Curses."

"Goodness," Hermione breathed.

"I'd like to show you the book, Hermione. It isn't quite like any other book I've seen. Anyway, I'd also like you to learn from the book at the same time as me. You are just as good at Defence Against the Dark Arts as me, except perhaps you take too long deciding what spell is needed."

"Of course, Harry, although you may regret that last remark," she said with a smirk. "You'll need a sparing partner, won't you?"

"Yes, but it's more than that. I'll explain when you see the book, but this is very dark magic. I'm not sure that I can trust myself to not use some of it."

Hermione frowned slightly, but nodded.

"Oh, yes," Harry said brightly, "I just remembered. I spoke to Dumbledore's portrait this evening."

"Already? I thought they slept for months!"

"Well, he was pretty sleepy. It was just nice to see him, you know? He'd forgotten almost everything, so he didn't have anything to worry about."

Hermione returned his smile.

"They'll miss his knowledge," she said. "I wonder how long it will be before he remembers everything?"

"Well, apparently the portraits never remember their own deaths, which is probably a good thing. As far as his memories are concerned, he confided most things to the other portraits."

The kitchen clock chimed loudly and Harry said simply, "Bed."

Hermione nodded and walked to the door. Harry blew the candle out and followed.

As they climbed the stairs to their bedrooms, Harry asked, "Did they eat anything before turning in?"

Hermione stopped abruptly and turned.

"Ah," she said. "Well, yes they did eat a little, but I'm afraid we had another little argument after you left this evening."

"A little argument," he repeated suspiciously. "Hang on. You didn't do anything to them, did you?"

"I had to prevent them from leaving, but I didn't resort to transforming them or anything like that."

Harry yawned.

"Just tell me they will be fine until the morning," he said yawning again. "I think I need some sleep before I can cope with them anyway."

"They will be fine until the morning," she reassured him with a mischievous smile.

Harry nodded, reaching for his bedroom door handle.

Hermione reach up and kissed him gently before saying, "Goodnight, Harry."

He was too slow to bring his arms together behind her and she was gone before he had hardly uttered, "Goodnight, Hermione."

Harry staggered into his room and collapsed, fully dressed, onto the bed.

*

Harry entered the kitchen the next morning knowing exactly what he was about to face. Vernon Dursley's shouting had reached him from the moment he had opened his bedroom door.

Uncle Vernon paused to draw breath upon seeing Harry.

"Good morning," said Harry, skirting around him and sitting at the table.

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY GOOD MORNING TO ME IN THAT TONE, BOY!"

Harry, well used to Uncle Vernon's volume, simply shrugged and reached for some toast.

"Sleep well?" he asked Aunt Petunia pleasantly, reaching for the butter.

"Vernon, come and sit down. You'll wake Dudley."

Uncle Vernon let go the great breath he'd just taken and sat down next to her. Harry looked up to see a slightly unnerved but still defiant Hermione by the sink, wand in hand.

He smiled and rolled his eyes at her.

Clearly, Hermione wasn't used to early morning rows as much as Harry. She pocketed her wand and joined Harry at the table, pouring them two strong cups of tea before sitting down.

"Thanks," said Harry, taking a sip.

"So, what's the problem now?" he asked Uncle Vernon.

"The problem," Vernon said through gritted teeth, "is that I object to being kept in this mad-house against our will. This is nothing short of false imprisonment! What's more, have you any idea what this friend of yours did to us last night?"

Harry dropped his uneaten piece of toast and wiped his fingers.

"If you really want to go, you can," he said evenly. "However there are a couple of things you need to know. Firstly, although this house is unplottable, you can find it. That means that if the Death Eaters find you, you could be forced into coming back here and endangering anyone here. We have pretty much moved everything of value out of here now, but I would hate to abandon this place to our enemies.

"This was Sirius's house. You know, my godfather? He hated this place. It reminded him of the family he tried so hard to get away from. The really weird thing is, this place is a reminder for me, of him."

Hermione reached over and took his hand.

"Once you step out of this place, my enemies can find you. The protections that Dumbledore placed upon Privet Drive have long gone. They can find you now, wherever you go.

"I know this place isn't ideal, but it is the best we have right now. So long as you don't venture outside, you'll be safe."

"I tried to explain this to you last night," said Hermione. "If you decide to leave, Harry can have a new Fidelius Charm placed upon the house. You'll never be able to find the house again, nor explain where it is, even though you'll still be vulnerable from Death Eaters who think you can identify where we are."

Vernon gulped audibly.

"No, Hermione," Harry said gently. "Even if we have to place a new Fidelius Charm on the house, the Dursleys will be told where it is."

"Why?" all three of them asked at the same time.

Harry looked up at Aunt Petunia.

"You didn't want me in you house for all those years, but you took me. You kept me alive. I can hardly not afford you the same degree protection if I'm able to provide it. Rest assured, even if we have to abandon this place, I'll find a way to keep you safe.

"All I ask in return is that you don't take unnecessary risks, try to get used to the magic and maybe keep the volume down a little at breakfast."

Harry looked at his watch and said, "We should get moving."

"Oh, yes," Hermione said jumping up. "Ron will be waiting at the Leaky Cauldron for us."

*

As usual these days, the Leaky Cauldron was almost entirely empty as they exited the fireplace.

Ron was waiting for them, sitting at the bar and chatting to Tom the Innkeeper.

"Can I get you anything?" Tom asked hopefully.

Hermione looked doubtfully at Harry for a moment, but seeing that Ron hadn't bought anything either, he said, "Some coffee would be nice, please Tom. Will you join us?"

"Why thank you, Mr Potter, Sir," he said disappearing into the back.

Harry knew he wouldn't be gone long so he quickly handed Ron and Hermione a generous bag of gold each.

"Put these away quickly," he advised, "and come and sit down."

They all sat at a table from where they could see both the front and rear entrances.

"Now remember, if you talk amongst yourselves, use the code words just in case you are being overheard."

"Will we really need this much gold, Harry?" asked Ron, clearly distracted by the amount Harry had given him.

"I'd be prepared to bet that Flourish & Blotts won't have what you're looking for. I think you'll need to investigate Knockturn Alley as well."

Hermione nodded.

"Just remember to be careful wherever you go," warned Harry. "If one of you is looking through the books, make sure the other is keeping a look out. Also buy some other books as well so it isn't so obvious what you're looking for."

Tom came back at that moment carrying a large silver tray of coffee and biscuits.

"So, how are things with you, Tom?" asked Harry as the Innkeeper poured the drinks from an elaborate silver coffee pot.

"Oh, rather quiet, I'm afraid," he said sitting down and handing Hermione a steaming cup.

"Thanks," she said quietly.

"I was just telling young Mr Weasley here," Tom continued. "We haven't anyone staying at all for the present. I can't see that changing for a while."

Tom handed Harry and Ron their drinks before pouring one for himself.

"Unfortunately, the Ministry pays me to maintain the entrance into Diagon Alley. Otherwise I'd be tempted to close for a short while."

"Only a short while?" Hermione asked.

Tom smiled at her and said, "Oh, yes, Miss. I remember the last time he tried to take power. People were terrified of even venturing outside. Things are different this time. Sure, people don't want to take chances, but they still come through here and go to Diagon Alley."

"What do you mean, Tom?" asked Harry.

"Well, I wouldn't want it known that I'd been saying such things," Ton began.

"We won't say a word," assured Harry as the other two nodded in agreement.

Tom paused before saying quietly, "Last time, everyone was certain it was only a matter of time before he won and we all got killed. This time, most people are quietly optimistic that he'll be finished sooner or later. After all, a miracle happened last time, didn't it? The great hope is that it happens sooner rather than later, of course."

Harry frowned and sat back. He opened his mouth to respond when Tom interrupted him.

"We get all sorts of riffraff through here, you know?" Tom continued conversationally.

"I'm sorry if I've brought down the tone of the place," quipped Harry with a grin.

Tom chuckled and said, "The particular riffraff I'm thinking of haven't troubled to buy me coffee nor enquire about how I'm doing. But you know, it's extraordinary what people say as they come through."

Harry raised his eyebrows interestedly.

"It appears that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named isn't too pleased with more than a few of his servants. He gave strict instructions that you were not to be touched for the present. I would advise, though, that that does not also apply to your friends, Mr Potter," Tom added with a meaningful glance to Ron and Hermione.

"Indeed, it sounded like a few people would be more than willing to attack them just to upset you.

"I'd advise that you do not go into Knockturn Alley today, and certainly not without considerably better protection."

Hermione blanched.

"Thanks, Tom. We appreciate your warning," said Harry.

Someone came in at that moment and Ton jumped up to attend them. Harry dropped some coins onto the coffee tray and said quietly, "Don't take any chances, will you? Forget about Knockturn Alley for today."

Ron looked a little relieved as he nodded.

"We'll see you later, Harry," said Hermione. "We are going to pop in and see Fred and George later as well."