Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Kemmynadow Betrayal by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

jardyn39

The Kemmynadow Betrayal

by Jardyn39

Chapter 15 - The Veil Lifted

"Do you really think Sirius' mirrors will work?" asked Harry as he stepped out of the fireplace and almost immediately fell heavily into the large comfortable settee that almost filled the Room of Requirement.

"What the?" he cried as he tried to stop himself from bouncing off again and straight back into one of the fireplaces. The settee appeared to be curved to match the room and where he had emerged there was no floor space at all.

"Sorry," he said to Hermione, who was already seated. It took her a moment to stop bouncing from the momentum of his fall, even though they were some way apart.

He struggled to right himself up from the rather undignified position he found himself in, sprawled across the odd shaped settee.

"It is a little big, isn't it?" admitted Hermione with a smile as Harry fought from sinking completely into the plump cushions. "Actually, I do have several doubts. The camera and projector worked only with a very narrow field of view and with everything very close together."

"The mirrors got very hot as well when the projector was on," said Harry, deciding he stood a better chance to control himself if he stopped struggling.

"Yes, that is a worry. I just wish we had some idea what the conditions inside the Archive are like."

They sat quietly for a few moments; Harry wondering how cross Hermione would get if he practised a few reductor curses on the settee she'd wished for.

"Harry, I'm sorry I didn't ask you before taking the mirrors."

"No, I meant to tell you about them. Actually, I don't know why I didn't put them into the vault with the other things."

"Of course you do, Harry," she said, rather insensitively. Hermione got up and carefully placed the wrapped mirrors in a box on one of the shelves.

Harry looked around feeling a little miffed that he wasn't as close to the nice stable floor and realised that the shelves surrounding them were now populated by several new books.

"Hermione, why is this thing such a strange shape?" he asked, referring to the settee that dominated most of the room. "And how come it has to be springy and soft at the same time?"

"Oh, I suppose I wasn't sure what fireplace I'd come out of. I just remember wanting to fall into a large settee as soon as I got here. I wanted plush and bouncy."

"Yes, I kind of gathered that, but surely the room knew what fireplace you would come out of?" he said absently, kicking his shoes off so he could climb off.

Hermione returned and sat down, somehow managing to completely block his escape.

"I found out about the Fidelius Charm, Harry. Professor Flitwick knew a lot about it, but not the actual charm. However, I found it in Dumbledore's book."

Harry nodded and, as one, the fires in all the grates died. The Room of Requirement was now sealed.

"Yes, I found it too," he said quietly.

"When did you perform it?"

"This afternoon, after I brought Dudley home."

"Home?"

Harry shrugged and reached into his pocket. He offered the small folded piece of paper, but Hermione didn't take it.

"I realised there was something up when I was quite unable to tell Ginny where I thought you were. I even tried to tell her without referring directly to the house with no success."

"Yes, I'll need to tell quite a few people now. The secret isn't quite the same as it was before."

"Harry, put that away a moment. I want to try and tell you something first."

He felt a little surprised with this request, but did as she asked. With the paper out of sight, Hermione appeared to relax a little.

She skirted over towards him, but instead of leaning back, he remaining sitting upright on the edge of the absurdly big settee.

"I'm not prepared to continue like this, Harry."

"You're not?" said Harry derisively, turning to her.

"It's okay, Harry. I don't blame you. I understand."

"I don't think I do," he replied, turning away to stare at the now cold ash at the bottom of the nearest fireplace.

"You are regretting splitting up with Ginny, and you're regretting-"

"No, Hermione, that's not true."

"Then why have you become so distant? It seems only days ago that I was fending you off because Ron was around."

"Yes, well. Every time I see you together lately, you and Ron are-," he said, unable to articulate to the end of his sentence.

"We're what, Harry?"

"I saw you in the orchard," he said flatly, "at the Burrow."

"Nothing happened, Harry," she said calmly.

"No? What if I hadn't let you know I was there?"

"Mm, I wondered why you called out from out of view. I can only tell you again that nothing happened, Harry."

"What if I hadn't turned up at all?

"No, nothing would have happened then either. You have to remember that Ron is still hopeful of us getting together. Not only that, he now knows that it is acceptable for him to steal his best friend's girlfriend, because that's what you did."

"No, I didn't!" Harry began vehemently, "You'd already finished with Ron," he continued but stopped when he caught Hermione's small grin.

Absently, Harry rubbed his eyes. He really wasn't in the mood to be ribbed by Hermione; especially over something he'd felt so uncomfortable about.

"What's wrong with your hand, Harry?" she asked sharply.

"Nothing, why?" he answered, a little taken aback.

"Hold your hand out," she demanded.

He did so, but withdrew it as soon as he realised what she had seen.

"Well?"

"It's nothing. I'm just tired and a little stressed, that's all."

"I've never seen your hands shake like that before, Harry. What are you feeling stressed about?"

"Everything," he replied miserably.

"Tell me," she said gently.

At last he relaxed a little and began to lean back, stopping himself when he realised he would be at the mercy of the settee if he leaned back too far.

Hermione jumped onto the settee, making Harry bounce up. When he landed she was behind him and caught him in her arms, wrapping them both around his chest and leaning her head on his shoulder. She pulled him tightly towards her.

"Tell me," she said again.

Harry bowed his head.

"Ever since," he began shakily. He swallowed and continued.

"Ever since I realised what it was, I've had this feeling of dread. You see, before I went back to Privet Drive like Dumbledore wanted, I had kind of resolved to see this whole thing through to the end. With Dumbledore gone, I knew it would soon be my turn to step up and face Voldemort on my own.

"Once I got there, however, I began to doubt myself. Bear helped, though. He, more than anyone, showed me what shear determination against impossible odds can achieve. With his encouragement, I began to remember all sorts things Dumbledore taught me, without my even knowing he was doing so.

"Going through the memories I could find helped too," he said before trailing off.

"So," prompted Hermione gently, "where did this feeling of dread come from?"

"It's a Phoenix egg, Hermione. A Phoenix egg."

"Go on."

"There is nothing I can think of that better symbolises Dumbledore's goodness, strength and compassion."

"Well, yes, neither can I," agreed Hermione.

"Don't you see?" asked Harry in a quiet, strained voice. "He didn't send it to Voldemort just to taunt him."

"But I don't see-"

"It was a message to me, Hermione. Dumbledore is telling me what he expects of me, and he expects me to go and get the egg. The catch is, I'll have to go with all the attributes that anyone would need to deserve such a prize.

"The problem is, I'm nowhere near ready to face Voldemort and I hardly think I'm worthy to receive such a bequest."

Hermione didn't speak for a moment and she appeared to be choosing her next words very carefully.

"You aren't ready to face Voldemort yet, Harry. I agree with you there, except I think you also know in your heart that you will be ready once we've evened things up a little. Once we have found and destroyed the remaining Horcruxes, you'll have a different outlook, I'm sure.

"For now, Harry, you don't really need concern yourself too much with that. The Kemmynadow curse is supposed to protect you from Voldemort."

"Hermione," interrupted Harry. "There is no way Voldemort is going to just give me that egg."

"Then the curse will attack him, won't it?"

"Actually, I think it will attack us both."

"That may be true, but remember who started all this. Dumbledore wanted you to have the egg, okay, but he must also have wanted something more. Some other motive. Why else would he use Voldemort like that?"

"All I keep thinking," said Harry hoarsely, "is that Dumbledore must have assumed he would be around a lot longer. Long enough to complete our lessons, anyway."

"You think he was planning to teach you more?"

"I assume so; or rather, I hoped so. He didn't really say. I mean, I know he made sure he told me the most important things first. I kept hoping we'd move on to some practical defence training."

"Well, those lessons won't happen now. There's no point in dwelling on what might have been."

"I know."

"You know? I think Dumbledore knew exactly what you'd need to receive his bequest."

He shook his head slowly.

"Of course, he probably assumed you'd just blunder along to collect it without all this thinking and worrying about it first."

Harry snorted.

"Trust Dumbledore, Harry," Hermione whispered.

He nodded and gave a weak resigned looking smile.

"Your hands are cold," he said, reaching up and gently rubbing them.

"Well, if you will insist on putting all the fires out."

"I'm sorry," he said gently. "Not just for the fires, either."

"I'm sorry too. I was sure it would have done more harm than good, but perhaps it was a mistake to act as if we were nothing more than best friends around Ron."

"I'm afraid that is exactly what we will continue to do," asserted Harry. "It isn't just Ron we need to consider. As far as the outside world is concerned, I need to remain alone now and for as long as this continues."

"That isn't the issue, though, is it?" she pressed. "Harry, I need you to trust me to deal with Ron in my own way. I feel I've been walking a tightrope lately. I'm afraid that if I treat Ron too harshly we'll lose him. I decided that you would trust me, but if you have a problem with trusting me, I'd rather you told me now."

"I won't pretend not to be uncomfortable," said Harry, "but I do trust you, Hermione."

"Then trust me when I tell you that Ron is feeling a little insecure just lately."

"He hasn't said anything to me."

"Well, perhaps if you weren't-" she began. Then Hermione paused said more gently, "Just include him a little more in what you're up to."

Hermione sighed deeply and said, "I was looking forward to showing you how to perform the Fidelius Charm properly."

"You still can," he said smiling.

"Didn't it work properly?"

"I thought it did, but I can't really say I know how to perform it yet. I just followed the directions."

"Which book did you use?" she asked suspiciously.

"The Kemmynadow one. I thought it would be easier. Actually, I'm sure that's why he put it in both books. He knew I might be in a hurry."

"There wasn't anything strange about the charm, was there? I mean, it isn't a dark variation?"

"I don't think so. I checked it against the other book and it was identical as far as I could see."

"Oh, okay."

"You don't like the Kemmynadow book, do you?"

"No, not at all. Look at what it's doing to you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"How often have you used it, other than the few times we looked at it together?"

"A few times," he said evasively.

"A few? And how long was each session?"

"Well, quite long, actually. It's kind of addictive. I keep wanting to know more. You must know what that's like, Hermione."

"Perhaps, but you are paying a high price, Harry."

"What price?"

"You are becoming detached, Harry; emotionally cold."

"That's a little harsh, Hermione."

"I hardly think so. You've been bottling up your concerns about Ron and me."

"That's hardly anything new," he said absently.

"Ever since the funeral, any mention of Dumbledore around you and you clench inside. His loss was almost like a physical pain to you, wasn't it?" Then she added gently, "Even more than with Sirius."

"Well yes."

"Yes! But that is changing, Harry. Now your feelings are becoming dulled."

"Well, time does that."

"Harry, it has only been days! Please believe me, Harry. If you lose your emotions, you'll hardly be better than Voldemort."

"Apart from all the torture and killing, you mean?"

"I meant emotionally, obviously. Harry, please. Let's destroy the book. It's too dark; too dangerous."

"No, Hermione," Harry replied gently. "The Kemmynadow curse would prevent that. Any interference with the book or the bequests will be punished severely somehow. Look how Voldemort has ordered his supporters to withdraw rather than risk attacking me.

"Besides, we are going to need the information in the book, I'm sure of it. I know you think I'm becoming less emotional, but please believe me that inside, every mention of Dumbledore causes me pain."

"I wish I could believe that."

"The book has affected me, Hermione. But my emotions haven't gone, they've just moved a little."

"Where to?"

"It's hard to describe. I'm sure it came from the book but there wasn't any specific spell. It's like the dark magic has enabled me to put up a veil inside myself. My emotions and feelings can retreat behind there sometimes, especially when I'm feeling vulnerable."

"Prove it, Harry."

"How?"

"Lift the veil, or whatever it is. You're safe here with me, aren't you?"

"I'm not sure," he began uncertainly. "Look, it's getting late. We should be going."

Hermione released her arms and gave him a firm shove sideways, making him lie on his back. She then climbed over and wedged herself between him and the back of the settee.

"I want you to feel again, Harry."

"I can't," he said shakily. "I'm afraid."

"Since when have you ever been really afraid before? That's why you must face this. You are afraid that if you allow yourself to feel again, you'll be so overcome with the pain that you'll be unable to function. What's more, you'll never-"

Harry rotated his head away from her but said nothing.

Hermione grabbed his shirt roughly and pulled herself up to lie on top of him. She reached out and forced him to turn his head back to her.

He looked up into her determined eyes for a long moment before finally relenting. The thing he'd always imagined being like a veil inside him didn't actually part or vanish. Instead, the force of his emotions seemed to just blow the veil out of the way.

Tears were forming in his eyes as she gasped.

The full force of the pain that he'd been denying himself tore through him, leaving him wracked with anguish once more.

She knew. He could see everything in her eyes.

Perhaps for the first time, Harry realised that Hermione really had told him the truth. He had accepted what she told him, but probably more accepting that she believed what she said to be the truth.

Hermione's claim that she could read his emotional state seemed incredible and preposterous.

She kissed him and instantly all debate was swept from his mind as they lay together, crying and hugging.

*

They spent most of the next week practising defensive spells at the Burrow in anticipation of the call to join the Regiment ahead of the raid on the Archive.

Harry's agonising self consciousness, after reaching new heights the morning they arrived, was at last beginning to subside. He dreaded to think of what Professor McGonagall made of him that morning. Hermione had ordered him out of the Room of Requirement to go and apologise almost as soon as he'd confided to her what had happened.

They still hadn't really talked properly since; but that no longer mattered to him much.

Hermione had been happy and relaxed the whole time, although Mrs Weasley had insisted that she accompany her to the village that first morning. Hermione later admitted only that Mrs Weasley had wanted, "to have a chat."

The veil protecting his emotions wasn't so much fluttering as much lying in tattered shreds thanks to Hermione.

This, he knew, had both advantages and disadvantages.

Much to Hermione's approval, he was now finding it much harder to learn dark magic from the Kemmynadow book. He also found he had more control over the curses at his disposal, in that he had not resorted to a dark curse without a conscious choice to do so. To his relief, learning counter curses, particularly with Hermione there too was as easy as ever.

The main disadvantage, he knew, was the loss of the thing he wanted to gain from using the veil to conceal his true emotions. This could be a major problem dealing with skilled Legilimens such as Voldemort or Snape.

He was, though, much happier. Not least, because Hermione was much happier.

Neville, Luna and Ginny all joined the three them for practise most days. All of them dropped heavy hints that they wanted to come with them, having worked out that something was about to happen.

Their interest was piqued even more when Fred and George turned up with one of their assistants to fit their brand new battle dress clothes. Rather handily, the assistant had previously been employed by Madam Malkin, and so it was she who did the actual tailoring.

"George, these look nothing like the ones John Bateman left with you," observed Harry.

"We've made a few improvements," admitted George. "They are plain black so they don't stand out so much when you are not hiding in a field. The material is non reflective and will not show up on heat sensors and the like."

"In addition, the colour does vary slightly according to your background. If you stand in a field, you'll go green. It's crude, but should do for now. We didn't have time to get everything right first time."

"What are these things?" asked Ron, trying to pull out a pad from an inside pocket.

"Leave that alone, Ron," warned Fred. "Those are part of the Muggle bullet proof defences. We've left those intact other than reducing the gaps."

While the others were fitted, Harry went for a short run. He returned feeling impressed. The battle dress was comfortable and reasonably light.

"This is great!" he said, returning as Hermione emerged wearing hers.

"Well, it's a start," said Fred. "There are some things we need to address, particularly the fading of our shield charms."

"How about if we wore some of your charmed clothes underneath?" suggested Harry.

"Could work," said George. "We'll send you some."

"Better make it soon," said Harry quietly. "No later than tomorrow."

"Oh, right," said Fred. "We weren't sure when you'd actually be using these."

"We don't have an actual time yet, but we know it will be soon."

"Are you sure we can't come too?" asked George, opening a polished hardwood box and offering it to Harry.

Inside were three identical amulets with jade and gold inlays.

*

They spent Thursday in the garden at the Burrow practising. Even Mrs Weasley got Harry to show her how to perform a stronger shield charm before insisting she had to go and make lunch.

Harry had brought back a floating iron target that the Room of Requirement had provided. The target was a ball shape that was about a foot in diameter, secured to the ground by the long, heavy chain. The ball and chain was rusting and ancient looking, but it served its purpose well.

The ball was solid metal, and this made it almost indestructible against the spells being aimed against it. Because both the target and chain were weightless, every time spell hit the target, it would fly off until the chain pulled it back.

The quicker the target was hit, the faster it bounced around. This made it extremely difficult to hit after the first one.

The only real problem with this set up was that occasionally spells would ricochet off rather than be absorbed by the target. Once, one of Harry's own stunners actually bounced right back at him, making him dive for cover.

Hermione and Ginny were actually rather good at hitting the target. Ginny relied upon quick reflexes and Hermione seemed to anticipate and even plan the target's location when she was ready to fire.

Luna was good, but seemed reluctant to shoot as soon as she attributed the target's attempts to dodge out of the way not to be random results of the spells blasting it but rather that inside the ball there lived a trapped spirit.

Ron was pretty good, Harry thought, but he might have been better if he hadn't kept allowing himself to become so distracted by Luna who was saying, "Sorry!" every time he hit the target.

Neville struggled a little at the beginning, but while the others got some drinks Harry hit the target with a strong impedimenta spell. This slowed the target just enough for Neville to get started. By the time others re-joined them, this time accompanied for the first time by Neville's Grandmother, he was hitting the target every time he fired. The impedimenta spell had long since worn off and the target was moving as fast as Harry had seen it.

Just as the target flew low, one of Neville's spells hit the ground where the chain was pinned and the target flew off.

Everyone behind him cheered as he mouthed, "Oops."

Harry brought the target back with a quick summoning charm and then realised that Neville was standing there looking embarrassed as he realised his Grandmother had joined them. He looked down as if expecting her rebuke for dislodging the target.

"I would never have believed it," she said a little tearfully. "Neville, you can shoot every bit as good as your father."

Neville smiled as she continued, "Mind you, your mother was always much faster than Frank. You'll need to work hard to get as accurate as she was."

Harry re-fixed the chain to the ground.

"Now," said Mrs Longbottom withdrawing her wand, "when can I have a go?"