Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six

Piccolo999

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Just another short chapter, but I'll be uploading the next as well, so don't worry. Thanks for the reviews. Enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six.

Chapter Twelve

Harry found himself outside Dumbledores office, staring at the gargoyle blocking the way. He didn't know if it would work, but he decided to try the password Dumbledore had given him only a few days ago via the note telling him about their second lesson.

Luckily, it was the right password, and the gargoyle moved aside and allowed him entrance. He moved up the spiral staircase until he came to the door to Dumbledores office. He knocked and after a few moments was told to enter. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, watching Harry with his blue eyes as he moved into the room.

"Ah, Harry," Dumbledore greeted, "and to what do I owe this early pleasure. If I'm not mistaken, our lesson was not for another two days."

"Sir," Harry said, in his own greeting, "I've come from Hogsmeade. I take it you heard about what happened to the girl, Katie Bell."

"Indeed," Dumbledore replied, "I am awaiting an owl from St. Mungo's right now, in fact."

"St. Mungo's?" Harry asked in surprise. "It's that bad?"

"I'm afraid so," Dumbledore said sadly, "now, did you wish to tell me something?"

"Sir," Harry began, "I just wanted to know if you've talked to Professor Snape yet? He was there, he broke up the crowd and told Hagrid to bring the Bell girl back to Hogwarts."

"I have," Dumbledore verified, "may I ask why you ask me this?"

"It's just," Harry said, wondering how to word it without making it sound like an accusation, "I saw him pick up something. I think the Bell girl touched it. I just wanted to make sure you knew about it."

"I do," Dumbledore again confirmed, "but I wonder, why are you asking me this? Do you not trust Professor Snape?"

Harry paused. "I have no evidence," Harry said, "but no, I don't trust him."

"I see," Dumbledore replied, "and again, may I ask why?"

"Like I said," Harry said, "I have no evidence. Just my gut feeling and a few suspicions. If you don't mind me saying sir, I'd be carefully exactly how much you tell Severus Snape, if I was you."

"But you are not," Dumbledore said, "and I trust Severus Snape. Although, I would like to talk to you about this matter more during our lesson, I am very interested in hearing your suspicions."

"And sir," Harry said, making his way towards the door, "I think the necklace is cursed. If that helps at all, you know, in healing the Bell girl."

"I also reached that conclusion." Dumbledore agreed. "But what troubles me most, is why a student would have a cursed necklace in the first place, and what was she doing bringing it back to the castle."

"Me too," Harry said, "maybe I'll have some more information for you by the time Monday comes around. Goodbye Professor."

"Goodbye Harry."

(----)

The next two days passed agonisingly slowly for Harry, who, after hearing what Hermione had to say about the incident with Katie Bell, was desperate to see Dumbledore. When the time finally arrived, Harry rushed to the Headmasters office and said the password, before heading up the spiral staircase and entering, without knocking.

"Harry," Dumbledore said, looking up from a piece of parchment he was bending over, "you're early."

"Sorry sir," Harry said, taking a seat across from Dumbledore, "but I've got some important stuff I want to tell you."

"I see," Dumbledore sat back in his chair and looked at Harry over his half-moon spectacles, "then proceed."

"It's about the Bell girl," Harry went on, "I managed to find out what she was doing before she started back to Hogwarts. She was in the Three Broomsticks. Her friend said she went to the bathroom and when she came back, she had the package and was acting very odd."

Dumbledores eyes widened a fraction and he murmured, "I see," before rolling up the parchment on his desk and placing it in an open drawer. He stood up and started to pace the room. "And you think she was Imperiused I assume?"

"That was the conclusion I got," Harry said, "but it's the why that bugs me."

"Indeed," Dumbledore agreed, "obviously the necklace was intended for someone at Hogwarts and the attacker didn't want it to be traced back to them."

"Any idea who the target was?" Harry asked. "Or who the attacker might be. The Bell girl was Imperiused in the girl's bathroom, so it could be a girl. Then again, it could just be someone taking Polyjuice potion to look like a girl."

"Correct," Dumbledore agreed, "unfortunately, we have too little information to go on to form an accurate accusation. At the moment, it could have been anyone, boy, girl, student, adult."

"I'll keep digging around," Harry said, "maybe I can find something more conclusive."

"Yes," Dumbledore said, "as will I. Though I caution you not to forget about your classes Harry. They are also very important."

"Have I ever Professor?" Harry said, smiling slightly.

Dumbledores eyes twinkled and he smiled as well. "Right," Dumbledore persisted, "now then, on with the lesson, I think."

(----)

As Harry expected, Draco was waiting for him when he retuned to the Slytherin common room after his second lesson with Dumbledore. The young Malfoy was sitting in his usual spot, feet propped up on another chair and idly flicking through a book, though Harry suspected he wasn't really reading it. Harry sat down across from him and leant back, letting out a sigh. It had been one hell of a long day.

"Well?" Draco prodded.

"It was pretty much the same as our first lesson," Harry started, "he showed me another memory, this one his own. It was when he went to visit Voldemort at the orphanage he lived in and invite him to Hogwarts. Basically, he wanted me to know that Voldemort had been actively using magic before he even knew he was a wizard, that he hates his name, likes to steal stuff and that he doesn't have any friends."

"Sounds kinda like someone I know," Draco teased.

Harry glared at him, his eyes darkening to a dark green. "Shut up Malfoy, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm nothing like him."

"Woah," Draco held up his hands in a peace sign, "I was kidding. Calm down. I know you're nothing like that bastard...thankfully."

Harry visibly relaxed. "Sorry, I'm a little on edge. I don't like this," Harry said, "everything that's been going on recently. It's not right."

"You mean about that Gryffindor chaser right?" Draco asked.

"Yeah," Harry said, "it's just not right Draco. I found something, come with me." And Harry got up, heading towards the exit, with Draco trailing after him.

They left the common room behind, heading towards Slytherins secret chamber. When they reached the cloaked wizard statue, Harry looked around, checking for signs of life, and when he found none, he hissed 'open' in Parsletongue and entered the chamber. Draco followed.

Draco took a seat on the green couch whilst Harry went into the bedroom and returned with a book, which he passed to Draco. The book was nondescript, hardback and complete black with not even a title. The only thing remarkable about it was the flamboyantly green bookmark sticking out of it, shaped like a snake.

"Open it," Harry said, sitting down on the sofa as well.

Draco opened the book at the bookmark and studied the page, his eyes drawn to the drawing of an opal necklace. He scanned the text, his features slowly changing as realisation dawned upon him.

"This is it, isn't it?" Draco asked, but he didn't really need Harry to confirm it. His eyes met Harry over the top of the book. "This is the necklace that the chaser touched."

"I think so," Harry said, "I knew I'd seen it before, and this is where. That's one of Slytherins Dark Arts books. Specifically, it deals with Dark Objects. That necklace was created years before even Slytherin himself was born. But the only mention of it is in this book; I've tried looking through everything else I own, more up to date stuff, but nothing. It's like it just fell of the face of the earth."

"Wait a minute," Draco said, his eyes scanning the page again, before locking on the picture once more. "I've seen this necklace before! It was in Borgin and Burkes when I went with my father just before our second year, and again when I was there before fourth year."

"It was in a shop?" Harry asked, not able to believe that this legendary cursed necklace was in a shop down Knockturn Alley, especially Borgin and Burkes.

"Yeah," Draco said, and he laughed, "I remember looking at it with Blaise, that seventh year Travis Grimsby and Parkinson. That idiot Burke was trying to sell it as some dangerous muggle killing necklace or something. Really cheep as well. He probably had no idea what he even had."

"Who was with you?" Harry asked, suspicions forming in his mind. "Blaise," Draco began, "Grimsby and Parkinson. Maybe some others, I can't be sure. It was one of those rare times the shop was full - loads of Death Eater families. You know that Grimsby guy's father is one of Voldemorts most loyal followers."

"No one else?" Harry asked, wanting to make sure.

"I don't think so," Draco said, "but I can't be sure. Crabbe and Goyle might have been." Draco threw in the last bit, just to let Harry know he wasn't complete sure and to not take anything he said as fact.

"Right," Harry said, frowning in thought.

"You think one of them did it?" Draco queried.

"Maybe," Harry said, "least we have a starting point."

"Harry," Draco said, "come on. You really think Blaise would have done it? Or Parkinson, I know she's a bitch, but she isn't a Death Eater."

"No," Harry said, "I don't think it was Blaise or Parkinson. I think it was probably one of the kids who have Death Eater parents. Remember what your dad said to you."

"Special assignment," Draco said, catching on, "you think this is it? You think some student has been made a Death Eater and given this assignment, whatever it is."

"Yeah," Harry said, "I do. I think it was Grimsby. Death Eater parents, he's pretty smart, he could probably brew Polyjuice potion and Imperious some Gryffindor. Of course, it's not final, but it makes sense, don't you think?"

"Yeah," Draco consented, "I guess it does. Voldemort certainly wouldn't be against sending some seventeen year old to his death for whatever it is he wants done. It's not like he preaches morals, huh?"

Harry laughed, a little grimly. "Exactly."

"So what now?" Draco asked.

"We find out more about Grimsby," Harry said, "and see if we can figure out who the target is."

Harry and Draco spent the rest of the night mulling it over, but by the time dawn arrived and they left for the Slytherin dormitory, they where still no closer to figuring it out.

(----)

Piccolo999