Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six

Piccolo999

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Pretty long chapter, for me, anyway. This is my version of the events during the Cave chapter of HBP. On another note, I have a question for you all. Would you like me to write some smutty sex scenes (for both Draco/Ginny and Harry/Hermione) or not? If I did, I'd probably post them as separate fics, like one-shots. So, what do you think? Interested? Let me know. Hope you all like. Thanks for the reviews!

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six.

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Harry was on his way to the Entrance Hall, his Invisibility Cloak clutched tightly in his hands. The last few weeks had been hectic, to say the least, and he had had to go through many awkward conversations.

First, Draco had made the biggest mistake of his life and had hurt Ginny Weasley terribly. Harry knew Draco felt bad about it, but there was nothing he could do. Draco had told him how he had tried to apologise to Ginny, and how she had laughed bitterly in his face and told him she could never love a filthy Slytherin like him. Draco was close to tears when he told Harry this, something that Harry had never seen before. Draco was always strong and guarded, hardly ever showing his emotions, and certainly not the ones he felt were weaknesses. But Draco had cried in front of him. Harry didn't know what to say, so he had just left the other boy alone. Harry didn't think Draco could do anything to rectify what he had done.

Secondly, both Hermione and Neville, who demanded to know if he knew what Draco was planning, had approached him. This time, he had to tell them the truth, and pleaded with them that they understood why he had done it. He truly believed that Draco wouldn't go through with it and if he had told them they would have instantly gone to Ginny and told her. Harry admitted he was wrong and asked them to forgive him, which they had done.

Hermione understood his intentions, but said that next time he should trust her more. Neville had just nodded curtly and left. He had been cold to Harry for the past few weeks and Harry didn't press him. He suspected Neville was beginning to develop feelings for the youngest Weasley.

During the second week, Harry had returned to the Slytherin common room to find Draco sitting alone, nursing a black eye and bleeding lip. The other Slytherin's seemed to be giving him a wide berth. Only Blaise Zabini was sitting with him, but judging by the look on Draco's face, he would rather it be otherwise.

Harry sat down and asked Draco what happened and the older boy had admitted that Ron Weasley had beaten him up. Blaise had then piped in that Draco had let him, not even fighting back, and started to rant at Draco. Harry quickly told him to shut up and then motioned for Draco to follow him. They finished the talk privately in Slytherin's chamber, where Draco admitted he felt he deserved everything he got. Harry was once again witness to a Draco he had never seen before. In fact, ever since that day he hadn't seen the real Draco once.

But things were finally starting to look up, as Dumbledore had just contacted him and told him that he had found the location of one of the Horcruxes. He had told Harry to get his Cloak and to meet him in the Entrance Hall.

Harry found Dumbledore waiting for him, wrapped in a long dark cloak of his own. Dumbledore smiled kindly at him and motioned him forward.

"Before we go Harry," Dumbledore said, leaning down slightly to talk quietly, "I need to ask you something. This mission will be potentially dangerous, do you understand?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied.

"And you still wish to join me?" Dumbledore pressed.

"Of course," Harry said.

"Now, one last thing, I want you to give me your word that you will obey my instructions, no matter what. Will you Harry?"

Harry paused, examining Dumbledore's face closely, then nodded. "I will."

"Even if I tell you to run?" Dumbledore expanded.

"I said I will Professor," Harry said, "I know how important this is. You have my word. I'll follow your orders, even if you tell me to run."

"Good," Dumbledore said, smiling kindly again and pulling himself up to his full height. "Then will you please cover yourself with the Cloak and we shall begin."

Harry nodded and did so, throwing the Invisibility Cloak over his head. Dumbledore opened the doors to the Entrance Hall and left the castle and Harry followed.

"We will be going to the Hogs Head Harry," Dumbledore explained, "do you know where that is?"

"Yeah," Harry answered.

"Good," Dumbledore said, "after that, we shall Apparate to the location of the Horcrux. You know how to Apparate now, correct?"

"Yeah," Harry said, "but I don't have my licence yet."

"In that case I will guide you," Dumbledore said, "it's no trouble."

They fell silent the rest of the way, Dumbledore leading and Harry following close by, invisible. They passed the Three Broomsticks and then turned left, down another street to the Hogs Head. Dumbledore stopped just outside the door and turned to face Harry.

"Now then," Dumbledore said, "there will be no need to enter. Ready to go Harry?"

"Yes sir," Harry said, grabbing the old wizards arm.

Then Harry felt the pressing sensation of Apparition all around him, suffocating him, before he was released onto cold stone, the smell and sound of the sea ringing in his ears. Harry looked around, getting his bearings, before turning to face the sea. They were on the side of a high cliff overlooking the ocean, which was violent and dark bellow them, the weaves crashing into the rock face under their feet.

"Are you okay Harry?" Dumbledore asked, pulling his cloak tighter around him.

"Fine," Harry said, looking down at the violent ocean below him.

"This way then," Dumbledore said, leading him along the side of the rock face.

Harry followed, keeping close to the cliff. The ledge was very narrow and was just enough room for them to walk single file, following the cliff face. Harry could even feel the spray of the ocean against his face; they were that close to the water.

"You can take the Cloak off now Harry," Dumbledore said, coming to a stop, and pointing to a small cave opening just across from them.

Harry did so, stuffing the Cloak into his pocket. "Is this the cave Riddle tormented those kids from the Orphanage in?" Harry asked, leaning out to get a better look, but keeping one hand on the rock face to steady him.

"Indeed it is," Dumbledore said, turning to face him, "now, I'm assuming you will have no objections to getting a little wet?"

Harry shook his head, consenting, and then watched as Dumbledore turned from him and slipped into the water before him. Harry followed, keeping an eye on Dumbledore just in case. He pushed his way through the water, staring at Dumbledores back, amazed that the old wizard could even move through the piercingly cold water. They entered the cave, where the water was less violent, and finally reached dry land.

Harry heaved himself up and out of the water, finding Dumbledore standing just a way away from him, examining the rock wall before him. The cave was almost as large as the Entrance Hall at Hogwarts, circling them in an almost perfect circle. Harry could feel the magical energy radiating of the place.

"What now Professor?" Harry asked.

Dumbledore didn't answer, but he started to move around, scrutinising the place. Harry followed him with interest, feeling the magical energy grow even stronger with every step they took. It was amazing, but Dumbledore seemed to be able to feel the pull of the magical energy, and followed it to its source. He stopped before a portion of the wall and put his hands against it, then smiled and pulled back. Harry took a step back as well and continued to watch.

Dumbledore pulled out his wand and pointed it at the wall. Harry watched as a concealed doorway appeared, glowing, but then disappeared the next second. Dumbledore frowned slightly in thought and continued to study the wall for almost a full two minutes.

"Hmm," Dumbledore hummed, "it can't be."

"Sir?" Harry asked, confused, and not liking it.

"I think we are required to make a payment to pass," Dumbledore answered.

"A payment?"

"Blood." Dumbledore said, and then pulled out a sharp looking knife.

"Hey," Harry said, stepping forward. Dumbledore turned to face him, an eyebrow raised. "Sir, I should do it. I'm younger and stronger, no offence."

"Oh," Dumbledore laughed, his eyes twinkling, "none taken, but I'm afraid it must be I. Your blood is far too precious." And before Harry could do anything to stop him, he sliced, and a splatter of blood spread across the rock face, which glowed and then faded, exposing the archway they had witnessed before.

Harry scowled, but didn't say anything, just followed Dumbledore through the doorway and into another cavern. If the one they had just been in was roughly the size of the Entrance Hall, this one must have been at least five times the size of the Great Hall. It was so large that Harry couldn't even see the other side, nor could he even see the ceiling. In fact, he could only see a few feet in front of him. The place was oppressively dark, as if the darkness actually had weight.

"What's that sir?" Harry asked, pointing. Before them spread a huge lake, easily rivalling the lake at Hogwarts, and right on the horizon, spearing through the darkness, was a green glow.

"I think that would be the Horcrux Harry," Dumbledore answered, "but before we can reach it, we will have to find a way to cross this lake. Beware not to step into it, I believe it to be infested with Inferi."

"Oh great," Harry said sarcastically, "zombies."

Dumbledore cocked an eyebrow at him in amusement, but otherwise said nothing. He motioned for Harry to follow and they set of around the edge of the lake. They walked for a while before Dumbledore came to a stop again, raising a hand to signal for Harry to stop as well. Then he began examining the air before him, passing his fingers through it, as if searching for something invisible. It turned out he was, as his hand soon closed on something. He raised his wand with the other hand and tapped his fist, which made whatever it was that was in his grasp begin to glow green, like the mysterious light in the lake. The glow spread, falling down into the dark depths of the water. Dumbledore then tapped the chain and it began to thread its way through his hand, pulling whatever was on the other end of the chain up from the bottom of the lake. Harry watched as a boat came into view and then shuddered to a stop by the shore, rocking in the water.

"Here we go Harry," Dumbledore said, motioning for him to go first, "step on in."

Harry did and Dumbledore followed. The boat was far too small for them both, but they managed. Harry stared down into the lake, watching the pale faces of the dead flash up at him every now and then as the boat began to move.

"Think they'll attack?" Harry asked.

"Certainly," Dumbledore said, as if this wasn't a problem, "but only once we remove the Horcrux. Do you know how to fend of Inferi Harry?"

"Fire." Harry answered.

Dumbledore nodded and patted his shoulder.

"Then we shall have no problem," Dumbledore said, "when it comes time to leave. Do not forget that weakness Harry, for many do, and it costs them dearly."

"I'm not an idiot Professor," Harry said, a little testily. Did Dumbledore really think he'd be stupid enough to forget something like that, even when under pressure?

"That you most certainly are not," Dumbledore said, ignoring Harry's annoyance.

They finally reached the green glow, which was revealed to be coming from a basin set on top of a plinth, which in turn was situated in the center of a small island in the middle of the lake. The boat hit ground and Harry quickly jumped out, followed more slowly by Dumbledore. Harry went up to the pedestal and examined the basin.

The basin contained a strange emerald coloured potion, which was what was giving of the strange glow they had seen from the shore. Harry extended his hand into the potion, but before he could even touch it, an invisible barrier sprang to life and blocked his path. He pulled back his hand and frowned. Dumbledore appeared next to him and looked down unto the basin as well.

"I tried to reach in," Harry said, "but some sort of invisible barrier blocked me."

"I see," Dumbledore murmured thoughtfully, stretching his own hand out and passing it over the basin. He pulled out his wand and made some complicated looking gestures over it, which Harry recognised as analysis Magic. Dumbledore was checking for any way to break through the barrier. He finally stopped and then waved his wand again, conjuring a fine silver goblet.

"Sir?" Harry asked curiously.

"The only way to get to the Horcrux is to get rid of this potion Harry," Dumbledore said, "and I can see no clear way to do that, except from drinking it."

"But sir," Harry said, "surely that isn't wise."

"Maybe not," Dumbledore said, "but you are forgetting one thing. I am not alone. Voldemort would not have expected two wizards to reach this point. The boat was evidence of that. It was only big enough to carry one magical adult across. Voldemort has once again overlooked youth. This potion may incapacitate me, but you will do everything in your power to make me keep drinking and to get the Horcrux. Then I will be counting on you to get us out of here safely and back to Hogwarts. Understand Harry?"

Harry swallowed, hardened his heart to the task, and then nodded.

"Good," Dumbledore said, and then scooped out a portion of the green liquid and downed it.

Harry watched, tense, waiting for something, anything, to happen. Dumbledore took a deep breath, and then drained another goblet full of the potion, and then again, another. He kept drinking and after the fifth goblet full, the effects started to show. Dumbledore staggered forward and clutched at the basin with his free hand, gasping for breath. Yet, through it all, he raised the goblet and scooped out another load, before drinking. This time he gagged, closing his eyes tight, almost dropping the silver goblet. Harry grabbed it out of his hand before he could and, remembering Dumbledores words, filled the goblet once more.

"Come on Professor," Harry said, attempting to give him the goblet.

Dumbledore shied away, moaning. "No," he croaked.

"Come on," Harry said, "you have to, remember?"

"I can't..." Dumbledore moaned.

"Yes you can," Harry said, and tipped the goblet into his mouth forcefully. "Come on Professor, you're stronger than this."

Harry got another goblet full and repeated himself, like a mantra, as he forced the potion down his mentor's throat. It was a truly horrible scene, and he hatred himself for doing it, much like he had when he had used his Legilimency on Katie Bell, but he knew he had too. This was war, whether anyone realised it or not, and in war you had to do things you didn't like.

Harry forced goblet full after goblet full of the phosphorescent potion down Dumbledores throat until it was all gone. When the final drop had been swallowed, Dumbledore yelled out loud in agony and fell backwards, collapsing to the floor in a tightly curled ball, like an overgrown baby. It was despicable and Harry thought he might vomit. At that moment, he hated Voldemort more than he had ever in his entire life.

"Rennervate!"

Harry cast the rejuvenation spell as he fell to his knees by Dumbledore. It didn't work. Cursing under his breath, Harry looked around, trying to find something that he could use to wake up his mentor. Nothing. Harry stood up, staring at Dumbledore the whole time, lying prone.

Running a hand through his hair, Harry ran back to the basin and scooped out the Horcrux - Slytherin's locket. He rammed it into his pocket and raced back to Dumbledores side, attempting to lift the older wizard up. He wasn't the strongest person, so it was quite a task for him, and as he had just managed to get Dumbledore's arm over his shoulder, he heard the noise. Something was coming out of the water.

"Shit!" Harry muttered, and then let go of Dumbledore and stood, wand raised.

Harry saw the Inferi slowly start to drag their dead bodies from the murky water surrounding the small island and his eyes narrowed. He focused his mind and roared: "Phloxmenti!"

Fire burst from his wand like a flamethrower, burning through the air, heading straight for the Inferi. He heard their screams coming from inside the wall of flame he had erected before him and could even smell their rotting flesh burning, but he ignored it all and turned back to Dumbledore. It took some doing, but he managed to get the heavier wizard standing, with his arm slung over Harrys shoulders. Of course, standing was maybe going a little to far. He was more supporting the old wizard with his own weight. Dumbledore still hadn't moved. He was just dead weight.

Please don't be dead, Harry thought. He dragged Dumbledore over to the boat, erecting more flames to block the Inferi from getting at him. Shoving Dumbledore unceremoniously into the tiny boat, Harry climbed in after him, practically sitting on the old wizard, but being unable to help it. He kicked off from the shore and the boat started towards the other side of the lake, leaving the Inferi behind. At least, Harry had hoped, but alas, he was to be disappointed.

Inferi started erupting from the murky depths, their hands clawing and gaping maws opening wide, revealing rotting teeth. Harry summoned more fire to keep them at bay and was almost overwhelmed, but they somehow managed to reach the shore.

Harry dumped Dumbledore out of the boat and then jumped out after him, casting another Phloxmenti spell behind him for good measure. Then he hauled Dumbledore to his feet again and started towards the cave exit. When the smell of fresh sea air and salt hit his nose, he took a deep breath, not having realised how much the stench of dead flesh had invaded his senses until that very moment. He dropped Dumbledore at the cave exit and turned back, but found the cave empty. The Inferi hadn't followed him. Sighing in relief, he fell to his knees beside Dumbledore and shook the old man.

"Professor?" he asked, but got no response. He pressed his ear over where he knew Dumbledore's heart would be and heard a steady, but somewhat slow heartbeat. Although not dead, Dumbledore was catatonic.

Harry looked around himself again, trying to think of what he should do next. He was stuck here, unless he Apparated them both back himself. He could do it, probably, but then what? Did anyone know he had tagged along with Dumbledore when they left? Hell, did anyone even know Dumbledore had left? Surely they did. Professor Snape, probably, but that thought didn't exactly cheer him up. Then it hit him. Professor McGonagall - she'd know, surely.

Resigned, Harry grabbed Dumbledore's arm and concentrated on his destination. The ever familiar pressing sensation followed and Harry felt the ground beneath him change. He opened his eyes and looked around. Hogsmeade, yes! He hauled Dumbledore back to his feet and set off for Hogwarts.

It took him a while, but he finally reached his destination. Shimmying through the gates, he continued on to the huge double doors leading to the Entrance Hall. When he reached them, he found them locked.

"Great," Harry muttered, collapsing under Dumbledore's weight. He leant the Headmaster against the double doors and stood up again, his back popping in protest. Groaning to himself, he looked around, once again reviewing his options.

It didn't take him long to think of a solution and he was off, heading to Hagrids cabin. He had to leave Dumbledore, but he didn't think the Headmaster was in any danger. He just couldn't carry the man's weight anymore.

"Hagrid?" Harry shouted, once he reached the half giants cabin, banging on his door. He heard Fang bark and something heavy hit the floor, making the earth around the cabin rumble. Then he heard Hagrid grunting in confusion.

"Hagrid!" Harry repeated, shouting again and banging on the door. He heard Hagrid mumbled something groggily, and then heavy footsteps approach the door. It opened and Harry stared up at the giant who had rescued him from the Dursleys.

"'Arry?" Hagrid grumbled. "What's goin' on 'ere? Why aren't you sleepin'?"

"Hagrid," Harry said, ignoring the half giants questions, "Dumbledore's in trouble and I can't get in the castle. Come on!"

"What?" Hagrid asked, his beetle black eyes blinking at Harry in confusion. "Dumbledore? Trouble?"

"Yes," Harry said impatiently, "come on!" And he took off, trusting Hagrid would follow.

He did, with Fang at his heels. Harry led Hagrid to Dumbledore, stopping before the unconscious wizard and bending over, hands on his knees, gasping. He was exhausted, mentally and physically.

"Harry," Hagrid said, staring at Dumbledore in shock, "what happened?"

"I don't know if I should tell you," Harry said, honestly, "it was something that Dumbledore told me in confidence."

"Well then," Hagrid said, knowing that if Dumbledore wanted him to know he'd tell him, "let's get this door open."

Hagrid pounded on the door until the squid caretaker Argus Filch appeared, angry and grumpy as usual, especially after having his sleep disturbed. Hagrid brushed past him easily, ignoring the squibs angry protests, carrying Dumbledore with him. Harry followed.

"What are you doing out of bed boy?" Filch asked, but Harry ignored him and followed Hagrid.

Hagrid went straight for Professor McGonagalls office, but before they could get their, Snape appeared.

"What's going on?" Snape demanded, once he spotted Harry and a motionless Dumbledore. Filch, having followed them, echoed him.

"There's bin' some kind o' accident," Hagrid answered, "Harry said he couldn' tell me what."

"Potter?" Snape demanded.

"Sorry Professor," Harry said, "I can't tell you until I have Professor Dumbledores permission. Either way I don't really think that's what we should be worried about, do you? He's been like that for almost half an hour now and he still hasn't moved a muscle. I think someone should at least take him to Madam Pomfrey."

Snapes eyebrow twitched, but he didn't disagree.

"Harry's righ'," Hagrid agreed.

"Yes," Snape said, motioning for Hagrid to lead the way, "get him to Poppy then."

Hagrid left as Snape turned to face Harry and said: "Potter, come with me!"

"Shouldn't I be getting to bed Professor?" Harry asked, fondling Slytherin's locket in his pocket. He really didn't want to reveal that to Snape, of all people.

"No," Snape said, "I want to know what happened."

"I can't tell you anything Professor," Harry said, "I already told you."

"I don't care Potter!" Snape roared with his fists clenched. "I'm taking charge now and you will do as I say!"

"I can't," Harry said, meeting Snapes eyes. "Like I said, I already told you. The only thing I can tell you is that he drank a potion. It was green. That's all."

Harry turned around and started to walk away, but Snape grabbed his arm and yanked him backwards, spinning him around. Their eyes met and at that instant Harry felt Snape probe, but Harry was ready. He flung up his shields and felt power surge thought him. Snape gasped and flew backwards, magical energy lighting up the entire corridor and tracing his trajectory, straight into the wall of the corridor. Snape slumped to the floor, unconscious. Filch was staring at him with a mixture of shock, horror, and fear.

"I'd get him to Madam Pomfrey as well," Harry said mildly, as he passed Filch and headed towards Slytherin's chamber.

He used one of the secret passages to quickly vanish; making sure no one could find him, if they did decide to look. Then he quickly made his way Slytherin's chamber. He reached the large secret room and collapsed onto the green sofa with exhaustion. After getting his breath back, he pulled out Slytherin's locket and examined it.

Harry's eyes narrowed. It wasn't Slytherin's locket he held in his hand. At first glance, it did appear to the same, but on closer scrutiny, Harry was sure. This wasn't that locket. It was a fake. Dumbledore had drunk that potion for nothing but a fake. Harry hurled the locket into the wall, where it smashed and fell to the floor. It didn't make him feel any better, so he buried his head in his hands and groaned in frustration.

"Fuck!" he cursed, kicking the table in front of him and tipping it over, spilling books and pieces of parchment across the floor.

Harry stood and started pacing, something he always did when he was incredibly angry. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed something clashing with the silver of the locket, and turned to examine it again. A piece of paper was sticking out of the locket, where it had broken open. Harry picked it up and opened it. It read:

'To the dark lord

I know I will be dead long before you read this

But I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.

I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.

I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,

You will be mortal once more

R.A.B.'

Harry crumpled up the paper and let it fall to the floor. So someone had gotten to the Horcrux before them and replaced it with this fake - someone who was most likely dead. Sighing, Harry fell to his knees and pounded the floor.

"Great going R.A.B.," Harry said sarcastically, "whoever you are."

(----)

Piccolo999