Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six

Piccolo999

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Okay, here's the next chapter. I don't think I have anything to say about it, so I'll just say this. Thanks for the reviews and enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six.

Chapter Nine

The Hogwarts Quidditch pitch was flooded with red and gold as the Gryffindor house held Quidditch try-outs. The field had amassed quite a few more players than usual this year; all wanting to get on the team after last year saw the departure of four players. The only ones left where the newly instated Gryffindor Quidditch Captain Ron Weasley, team veteran Katie Bell, and Ron's little sister, the chaser Ginny Weasley.

Draco Malfoy watched the proceedings from the stands, sitting at the far back so as not to be noticed. He watched as Ron directed traffic, trying to sort the collective students into some sort of order. He seemed to be doing pretty well with it, not that Draco would ever admit that. Soon, they had a neat collection of students, waiting in specific groups depending on what position on the team they wanted to try out for.

Draco wasn't paying much attention to that though, he was mainly focusing on the reason he was at the pitch in the first place, his target - Ginny Weasley. Draco had to admit, she wasn't all that bad looking, for a Gryffindor. She had flowing red hair, a pretty enough face, and all the right curves. At least as far as he could tell through her Quidditch uniform. Draco sent a quick thank you to whatever deity was watching out for him. At least she wasn't ugly.

Draco admired her Quidditch skill from afar, watching as she ran rings around the potential keepers, making them all look like complete novices, even though some weren't half bad. She's almost as good a flyer as Harry, Draco thought.

When all was said and done, and the Gryffindor team was whole once more, Ginny started making her way back towards the castle, still wearing her red and gold uniform. Draco stood up and followed her, taking a quick short cut Harry had shown him so that he could reach the castle before her.

Ginny was just entering the castle when Draco appeared, grabbing her from behind and putting his hand over her mouth to muffle her scream, before quickly dashing into an old broom closet. He let go of her, pushing her up against the wall, leaning in closer. She wasn't screaming anymore, but she was glaring at him with fiery passion. Draco found her brown eyes startling, and was momentarily taken aback.

"Hello Weasley," Draco purred, "fancy seeing you here. In a broom closet and all."

"What do you want Malfoy?" Ginny hissed, "And get of me!" She tried to shrug him off, but he managed to keep hold of her.

"Now, now Weasley," Draco said, "that's not very nice."

"What do you know about nice?" Ginny scowled at him.

"I know a bit more than you'd imagine, I assure you." Draco said, leaning in closer to whisper in her ear. "I can be very nice." The way he stressed the word 'very' made it clear exactly what he was talking about, and when Draco pulled back, he was satisfied to see her blushing a little.

"Yeah," Ginny said sarcastically, casting her eyes to the door, "when your not terrorizing people, I'm sure you can be very nice."

"Why don't I show you?" Draco said, leaning in.

Ginny finally had enough and roughly shoved him away, finally getting free. Draco saw her chest was heaving and her face was flushed. Her red hair had fallen across her face, and she brushed it angrily out of the way,

"What are you playing at Malfoy?" Ginny demanded.

"Playing?" Draco said, trying to act confused. "I'm not playing anything. I'm generally interested in you Weasley. So come on, why don't we have some fun?"

"Yeah right," Ginny laughed, "I'm not that gullible. You're up to something."

"Oh come on," Draco said, getting irritated, "You've got to be kidding me Weasley. I know you want me. I've seen you looking. I'm offering it to you right now, come on."

"I'd never touch you if you where the last person on the planet earth Malfoy!" Ginny said vehemently.

"Fuck Weasley!" Draco lost his patience. "Fine! You think I really wanted to go roll in the dirt with you anyway, yeah right! I can get any girl I want. I just thought I'd take pity on you."

"Screw you Malfoy!" Ginny snapped back. "I don't want or need your 'pity'!" With that, she turned away from him and stormed out of the closet, her red hair trailing behind her.

Draco groaned to himself, leaning back against the wall. "Dammit." He cursed, lashing out a stray bucked with his foot and then running a hand through his sleek hair. That didn't exactly go as planned, but his patience only held for so long. Sighing, he left the broom closet; determined to do better next time.

(----)

Hermione was sitting in the Gryffindor common room, helping Neville Longbottom out with some last minute charms homework. The rest of the common room was mostly quiet, though a few packs of students had gathered, talking in hushed tones. Hermione didn't mind.

"I just don't understand this bit Hermione," Neville said, trying to explain what he was having difficulty with, "it doesn't make any sense."

"Yes it does," Hermione said, pointing at the instructions on Neville's parchment, then frowning, "Oh, wait a minute, you're right. It doesn't make sense."

"It doesn't?" Neville asked, shocked that he was right for once.

"No," Hermione said distractedly, pulling out her own parchment, and showing him her notes, "see, you copied the incantation down wrong. Just change that 'i' to an 'e' and you've got it."

"Thanks Hermione," Neville said, blushing at his mistake, "I'm such a klutz, I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd do fine," Hermione said, "You just need to be a bit more confident is all."

Neville went back to his work whilst Hermione started to pack her bags. She was already a little late for meeting Harry and she didn't want him to get the wrong impression, so she hastily zipped up her bag and stood.

"Where are you going?" Neville asked, frowning up at her.

"Library." Hermione said.

"Again?" Neville sounded crushed, and Hermione felt ashamed that she'd been ignoring her best friend. "You always go the Library now. How come you don't ever study with me anymore?"

"Sorry Neville," Hermione said, and she really was, "but it's...I'm working on something really difficult and I don't want any distractions. Not that you're a distraction, sorry, I just...I'm sorry Neville."

"Well," Neville said, "could I come with you? I promise I won't distract you."

"Look," Hermione said, "it's kind of personal, okay Neville? Let me think about it?"

"Okay," Neville agreed, "when will you be back?"

"I don't know," Hermione said. "I might be out late. It depends."

"Well, I'll see you then." Neville said. "Thanks for helping me."

"It was my pleasure Neville. Bye."

Hermione quickly left the common room, frowning when Ginny Weasley came storming past her wearing her Quidditch robes, her face flushed. She shrugged and continued on her way, all but running to the Library. When she arrived she was out of breath and limping more than she cared to admit. Her leg was sore and she cursed herself for putting too much excursion on it, embarrassed at how she must look. Harry didn't seem to mind; he just smiled at her and pulled out her chair for her. She dropped into it gratefully.

"Thank you," she gasped.

"You miss me that much?" Harry teased.

She smiled, swatting him lightly on the arm. "Big head." She teased back, forgetting all about her embarrassment.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"Mmm." Hermione murmured. "I'm fine. Just...didn't want to be late."

"It's okay," Harry assured her.

"My friend Neville was asking me what I've been doing in the Library every night," Hermione confessed, "I hate lying to him, and I'm really bad at it as well, I don't think he believed me. He wanted to come with me."

"Oh," Harry appeared to not know what to say, so Hermione continued.

"I didn't tell him," she said, "but...can't I? I mean, he's a really nice person Harry, and he can keep a secret, I swear."

"I don't know," Harry said, looking thoughtful, "I guess it's tough for you to keep it from him. But I don't know."

"Do you trust me Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Of course I do," Harry said.

"Then trust me." Hermione stated. "I promise you, Neville won't tell anyone."

"He wouldn't have to," Harry argued, "some witches and wizards can just tell. Have you heard of Legilimency?"

"That's...I know it," Hermione said, holding up a hand and frowning in thought, "it's the mind reading ability isn't it? Delving into a person mind and memories."

"Yeah," Harry said, "so you see. He wouldn't have to tell anybody."

"But then neither would I?" Hermione countered. "If someone read my mind with Legilimency I would be just as vulnerable as Neville."

"Good point," Harry conceded, "I guess I'm just paranoid. Let me think about it, okay Hermione?"

"Sure," Hermione agreed, smiling. "Thanks Harry."

"I haven't said yes yet, you know."

"I know," Hermione said, "but you will."

"I will, will I?" Harry asked, smiling.

"Yeah," Hermione said, also smiling, "you can't say no to me."

Harry laughed. "Maybe not. You're just way too cute for your own good Hermione."

Hermione blushed. "You're not too bad yourself Harry."

"So," Harry began, "the first Hogsmeade trip is coming up. Do you want to go?"

"To Hogsmeade?" Hermione asked, surprised. "With you? In broad daylight? In public?"

Harry laughed. "Yeah, yeah, and yeah," he said, "I guess you're wondering how huh? I'll tell you, it's really quite simple. See, I invented this charm - "

"You invented a charm?" Hermione gasped, her eyes wide.

"Yes, I invented a charm." Harry clarified. "I got the idea from the Disillusionment Charm and the Metamorphmagi ability. It's like combining the two. With it, everyone who looks at me will just see somebody completely unrecognisable."

"But..." Hermione was flabbergasted. "But creating a charm. Harry, you're only sixteen-years old! You can't have invented a charm."

"You don't believe I could invent a charm?" Harry asked, looking slightly miffed. "I assure you Hermione, I invented this charm. It took me absolutely ages to get it right, but it works, and I invented it."

"Harry," Hermione said breathlessly, "that's amazing. You really invented a charm?"

Harry gave her a look, as if to say, do I have to repeat myself?

"I'm sorry Harry," Hermione said, "but it's a little hard to believe. I believe you, I do, its just...wow."

"So do you?" Harry got back to the point. "Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me?"

"Of course I do!" Hermione practically shouted. "I'd love too." She continued more softly, blushing again at her outburst.

"Great," Harry said, before asking, "Have you ever been before?"

"I've been a few times," Hermione admitted, "the first time we could go. But it was pretty boring, on my own, you know. Neville drags me down sometimes, but mostly, I just avoid it."

"Well Hermione," Harry said, "I promise you, this Hogsmeade trip you aren't ever going to forget."

"I can't wait." Hermione said, grinning at the thought of spending the entire day with Harry, in front of everyone.

(----)

Piccolo999