Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six

Piccolo999

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Short Chapter, but I'll get another one up before I go to bed tonight. Hope you guys enjoy. Thanks for the reviews.

Harry Potter and the Alternate Universe: Year Six.

Chapter Seven

Harry met Hermione the following two nights at the same time, seven o'clock, and spent at least two hours with her each day, just enjoying her company and studying. She seemed to grow more confident in herself and comfortable around him as time went on, talking even more than he expected.

Harry had waited almost half an hour the first night, sitting alone at the back of the Library, almost sure that she wasn't going to show up. But she did. He had then noticed that she walked with a slight limp and had wondered why. Not wanting to be too forward, he didn't ask, but filed it away as something he most definitely wanted to know.

The second day was the most interesting, where they spent pretty much the entire time talking to each other, hardly getting any work done. Harry remembered the adorable way Hermione seemed to panic when she realised she had hardly done any of her work. Harry had just smiled at her, making her flush.

Harry had spent a lot of time in Slytherins Chamber thinking about Hermione and why he was so interested in her, when no other girl could hold his interest for more than a few seconds, if that. But there was no need to think about it now. Harry was sure, he was falling for the girl, and he seemed to have no control over the matter. Not that he really cared. If lack of control was what he had to give up to be with Hermione, then so be it. Meet Harry - Fates bitch.

Friday soon came and Harry found himself yet again waiting for Hermione at the back of the Hogwarts Library, surrounded by books and parchment, marvelling at how fast they'd become study friends. Harry groaned to himself. That was definitely not what he was aiming for and he decided that he better make that clear tonight. He'd been beating around the bush for too long. Tonight he'd ask Hermione to go on a date with him.

She arrived not long after Harry had made up his mind, smiling at him in greeting and sitting down next to him, brushing a lock of her bushy hair behind her ear as she did so. Harry turned in his chair to better look at her, catching her eye, and smiling in return.

"Hi," she said, her cheeks reddening slightly.

"Hey," Harry replied, "how'd that charms homework go? Top marks again?"

Hermione giggled and nodded. "Mmm."

"No surprise there."

"You helped," Hermione said, "I probably wouldn't have done that well if you hadn't told me about that special charm."

"You would have found it eventually," Harry defended, "you aren't the smartest witch in our year for nothing you know. Your so smart you should be in Ravenclaw."

"I don't know why I'm not," Hermione said.

"Because your bravery and courage far out ways even your intelligence," Harry told her, "and that's no easy feat."

Hermione turned scarlet at his compliment and dropped her head, hiding behind her hair.

"I'm not..." she murmured, trailing off.

"Yes you are," Harry said with conviction, "I've seen it. Your strength is so hidden than even you don't know its their, but it is. You just need more confidence."

Harry reached out and moved her hair aside, exposing her blushing and down turned face to his eyes. Hermione looked up at him with an indrawn breath, her mouth slightly apart.

"I don't know why you think so little of yourself," Harry continued, "but I swear I'm going to make you see how special you are." Harry smiled ruefully. "I don't know how I didn't notice you before this year. I guess I need to pay more attention to what's going on around me."

Hermione had tears in her eyes now, but was smiling happily at Harry.

"Hermione?" Harry said, catching her eyes. She nodded, imploring him to go on. "I'm sick of studying. Do you want to go for a walk? Get some fresh air?"

"Yes," Hermione replied, "that sounds nice."

"Come on then."

Harry offered her his hand and Hermione took it. He helped her to her feet, pack her bag, along with his, and then they set off, leaving the quiet Library (everyone else was at the huge feast held on Fridays) and setting off towards the lake. Half way there, Harry reached out and took Hermione hand again. She gave a soft gasp of surprise, but made no more to pull free.

The Lake shone before them, lit up brilliantly by the moonlight shining periodically through the cloudy sky. They stopped to watch the tentacles of the giant squid rise every now and then from the lake, sending ripples over the silvery looking water.

"It's so beautiful," Hermione breathed.

"It is." Harry wasn't talking about the lake.

"I've never seen the lake like this before," Hermione admitted. "I normally don't go walking around the grounds...or the castle, either, for that matter. I guess you think I'm boring, but I tend to just stay in my common room or the Library."

"I don't think you're boring," Harry argued, "just different. That's not bad either. I like different. Besides, now I get the pleasure of showing you each and every nook and cranny in Hogwarts. You're going to love it."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Harry said, "I like exploring. I spent a lot of time doing that over the years. I'm pretty sure I've seen everything Hogwarts has to offer."

"I can't wait." Hermione whispered, blushing and glancing at their still joined hands.

Harry gave hers a squeeze and said: "Me either. Come on, let's sit down."

Harry pulled her over towards a large tree that loomed out over the huge lake. Harry let go of her hand, took his cloak off and smoothed it out on the floor before the tree, sitting down and patting by his side. Hermione joined him and they leant back against the bark. Hermione looked up at the cloudy sky through the many branches, the moonlight cast over her face, lighting her up and making her even more beautiful. Harry followed her gaze, watching the moon peak out between clouds.

"I love it like this," Harry told her, "it's my favourite time of the day."

"I can see why," Hermione replied with awe, "it's so beautiful, but a little scary at the same time."

"Don't worry," Harry said, "the shadows like me, I won't let them hurt you." Hermione giggled and Harry grinned at her.

A comfortable silence fell on the two teenagers as they watched the sky above them, only to be broken when Harry spoke up.

"Hermione, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure." Hermione looked away from the sky, studying Harry. "What is it?"

"It's personal," Harry said, "so if you don't want to answer I'll understand. I'm just wondering - why do you have that limp?"

"Oh," Hermione looked down, studying her hands in her lap, before continuing in a whisper, "remember the Troll? In our first year?"

Harry nodded.

"I was in the girls bathroom, because I was...upset. The Troll came in and started smashing the place up with its club, I tried to get away but..." She let out a ragged breath. "When Professor McGonagall and the other teachers found me I was unconscious. The Troll had crushed my leg and my arm and gave me a concussion. They had to re-grow my bones in my arm and leg with Skele-grow, but it was complicated, because technically I still had my bones. When it was done I couldn't walk without limping and my arm won't completely straighten." She held out her arm to show him, but he couldn't tell with her wearing the jumper, so she just let it drop.

"I'm sorry," Harry said, "that sounds horrible."

"It was," Hermione agreed, "I didn't talk to anyone but Neville and my Professor, but even then I hardly said anything. My parents wanted to pull me out of school but I wouldn't let them. I still wanted to be a witch."

Harry didn't know what to say, she he just kept his mouth closed. Hermione took another ragged breath and then smiled at him. "But I'm okay now. I don't mind. Things like that just happen in life...I don't really think about it much."

"Yeah," Harry said, "I can understand why."

"Besides," Hermione began, "I think my limp gives me character, don't you?"

Harry couldn't but smile back when she gave him a rueful, but slightly sad smile. He knew she wasn't completely serious, but she was trying. He could understand the need for her to make it seem less serious. Hermione looked up at the sky again, frowning.

"It's getting late," she said, "I better go."

"Okay," Harry stood up and offered her his hand; "I'll walk you back to Gryffindor tower."

"How do you know where it is?" Hermione asked him, her frown deepening.

"I told you," Harry replied, "I know everything about Hogwarts." He grinned at her and she giggled.

"Okay." Hermione offered him her hand and he took it, before starting back towards Hogwarts.

It didn't take them long to reach the seventh floor, but before Hermione could turn the corner to the corridor on which the Fat Lady was placed strategically over the entrance to Gryffindor tower, Harry stopped. She turned to regard him curiously.

"I better not reveal that I know where your common room is to the Fat Lady," he said, "I'm sure she wouldn't like that."

Hermione smiled, nodding in understanding. Harry reached up and brushed a bit of hair from her cheek, then leant down and placed a quick kiss there. Hermione blushed scarlet, but Harry saw her grinning as well.

"Goodnight Hermione."

"Goodnight Harry."

(----)

Piccolo999