Unofficial Portkey Archive

In my secret life by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In my secret life

leedee

Chapter. 10

-.

Like We Never Loved At All

-

You never looked so good as you did last night,
Underneath the city lights.
There walking with your friend, laughing at the moon.
I swear you looked right through me.
But I'm still living with your goodbye,
And you're just going on with your life.Â

How can you just walk on by without one tear in your eye?
Don't you have the slightest feelings left for me?
Maybe that's just your way of dealing with the pain,
Forgetting everything between our rise and fall,
Like we never loved at all.Â

You, I hear you're doing fine;
Seems like you're doing well,
As far as I can tell.
Time, Is leaving us behind
Another week has passed,
And still I haven't laughed yet.
So tell me, what your secret is, baby, yeah.
To letting go, letting go like you did,
Like you did.Â

Did you forget the magic?
Did you forget the passion?
Oh, oh, and did you ever miss me,

Maybe that's just your way of dealing with the pain,
Forgetting everything between our rise and fall,
Like we never loved at all

"Like We Never Loved At All" by Faith Hill

-

Hermione was in her room lying on her bed. The muggle radio was playing music and she was humming along while was making notes on the parchment next to her. Ginny was sitting on the floor, going through the pages of a muggle magazine. She sighed loudly and Hermione looked at her.

"Look, I just don't get it. Are these clothes supposed to look good?" she exclaimed. Hermione leaned over the edge of the bed and saw Ginny looking at the latest fashion.

"What do you care about muggle fashion anyway?" she asked without really caring.

"Well…" Ginny answered in a mysterious tone of voice. This caught Hermione's attention. She put down her quill and curiously looked at Ginny.

"Are you trying to impress a muggle boy?" Hermione naturally thought it had to be about boys when it came to Ginny.

"Kind of… he used to be a muggle, at least he thought so," Ginny raised her eyebrows waiting for Hermione to understand. "I just want Harry to notice me again." Hermione almost lost her breath, it just kept getting better and better.

"But do you really…" Hermione was cut off.

"I know, I know he hasn't noticed me the past two years. But we had something really nice a while back. I'm just hoping that maybe I can make him forget about all those tarts he's been seeing." Hermione had a very strong feeling that Harry would never want to start things up with Ginny again, just as she would never want anything to ever happen between her and Ron again. "Would you talk to him for me?" Ginny asked.

"Am I mistaken? Are we still at Hogwarts?"

"Look you know what it's like to think about someone all the time. Like you and that guy Isaac!"

"What?" Hermione was shocked.

"Oh, Dad has told me how this Isaac guys likes to stop by your office, bringing you muffins and stuff." Hermione felt embarrassed and guilty, she hadn't done anything with Isaac. Sure it was true that he'd stop by from time to time, but that was all! Had Harry also heard these rumours? What would he think of her?

-

Ginny left a couple of hours later, but not before Hermione had promised to talk to Harry. How would she do that? She didn't want Harry to start thinking about Ginny in that way again. Hermione waited until Ron was a sleep, and the she knocked on Harry's door. He looked surprised when he saw her face as she opened the door.

She had only been in his room once, and that was only to borrow a book. She looked around the room, it was so Harry. It was pretty messy; he had clothes lying in an armchair and on top of his trunk. Hedwig stood on a dresser near the window. The door to her cage was opened, but she seemed to be sleeping inside. He had a bookcase with a lot of books, mostly books about the dark arts. His old Gryffindor necktie hung on the edge of bookcase. Hermione went up to it and gently touched it.

"Nice memories," she said more to herself than to Harry.

Harry was lying in bed, already under his large duvet. His nightlight was on because he was reading a book. He put it down and raised himself so he was sitting. The duvet was covering his legs and crotch, but his torso was bare. She gazed a bit dreamily at him. "What's up?" he asked her and she shook herself back into the moment at hand.

She sat down on the bed and faced him. "Look I've got something real juvenile to ask you…" Harry just frowned at her, looking confused. "All right, here it goes. There's this girl who fancies you."

Harry scratched his head. "Are you serious?" he asked.

"Look I hate this, but I promised. She basically asked me to ask you…"

Harry interrupted her, "Look Hermione, I know it's Ginny." She closed her mouth and looked at him, trying to read his expression. "This has been going since we broke up."

"Going on?" she asked, a little nervous about what he meant.

"Her trying to hint that we should get back together. But it will never happen. There is nothing left on my side. As I said to you that night at the Hog's Head, I had fallen out of love with her." Hermione looked down at Harry's hand lying next to him on the bed. She wanted to touch it, hold it. She wanted to crawl into bed with him. "You have an admirer of yourself I've heard."

"You mean Isaac," she answered.

Harry felt a bit bothered that she so quickly thought of Isaac. "Are you two dating?" he inquired.

"No, not at all."

"You should go out with him," Harry said before he could stop himself. He was so intent on not being jealous, but why did he have to push her towards another guy? Hermione gave him a sad smile. She squeezed his hand for just a second.

"Good night Harry," she got up and as she was walking out of the door, she turned around and said, "I might bring him to Ron's Quidditch match this weekend."

-

It wasn't often Ron's team played at the local Quidditch pitch, but when they did he got everyone tickets. He gave two tickets to each person, so they could bring dates if they wanted to. That day, Harry brought Zoya; she was the first girl Hermione had seen him go on two dates with. Ginny brought Neville, but only as a friend. The twins couldn't make it because they were so busy at the shop, Hermione brought Isaac, Luna went alone, and Bill went with Mr. Weasley since Mrs. Weasley and Fleur stayed home, taking care of Bill and Fleur's two children Violet and Daisy. They all arrived separately but all sat together. Hermione followed Isaac to their seats, but then excused herself. She wanted to wish Ron good look before the game.

"I'll go with you." Ginny announced when she heard where Hermione was going. Hermione walked quickly so she would have time to get before the game started. Ginny had to almost run to keep up with her. "Isaac is hot!" she panted.

"Yeah, he really is," Hermione had to admit. They knocked on the door of the dressing room. A tall boy who resembled Grawp opened the door.

"Ron, it's your cute sister," he winked at Ginny. She gave him a polite smile, and tried to sneak a quick look over his shoulder.

"Ginny!" Hermione rammed her elbow into Ginny's side.

"What? It doesn't hurt to look," she giggled. Ron came out to the corridor.

"Hey pretty ladies," he said and gave them each a hug. "It's great that you came to wish me good luck, I am quite nervous. It's been a while since we played this team, and they are doing really good. I want to win, especially when all of you are in the audience."

"You'll be fine," Ginny sounded rather bored. Hermione took his hand in hers and their fingers intertwined. Ron looked a little startled.

"Just pretend you just drank some Felix Felices, and try not to think about us in the audience." Hermione tried to sound assuring.

They returned to their seats just in time for the game to start. Ron was doing very well and it looked like he was on the top of his game. Hermione's fingers tingled a little every time Isaac bent over to tell her something. She could see girls around her sneaking glances at Isaac, and she felt a little bit proud to be with him. She looked down the row she was sitting and saw Harry watching the game with one hundred percent attention. Zoya had her hand on his thigh and she was moving it up and down. She seemed to not care at all about Quidditch and she had a very smug look on her face, as if she knew that everyone who saw them would be talking about the girl who came to the game with Harry Potter.

-

When the Chudley Cannons had won, everyone continued to Number Twelve Grimmauld Place to celebrate. Ron was happier than Hermione had seen him in years. He was so proud that everyone had seen him, and he couldn't stop smiling. Ron was standing in the living room reliving all the major scenes from the game and Luna was excitedly clapping her hands every time he did. Zoya sat next to Harry on the sofa, every now and then she would try to take his hand but he would always take it back. Ginny was sitting on the other side of him, and she kept flashing flirting smiles at him. Hermione was sick of it; she didn't want to be a member of his fan club anymore. Isaac was sitting in one of the armchairs, and she was sitting on the armrest.

"Did you enjoy the game?" she asked Isaac. They were speaking in a bit hushed voices so not everyone would hear them.

"Yes, I sure did. But I can't help it; I must admit that I still root for the best French team."

"Which is?" she asked, not really interested in any Quidditch team,

"Quiberon Quafflepunchers, of course," he said and grinned widely. She smiled sweetly at him and he put his arm around her so his hand was on her waist. It felt like the whole room noticed this and the first one to stare was Ron, but he quickly got his composure back and continued the story. Ginny just found it very exciting, and Hermione guessed she wished she had a guy giving her attention. Hermione didn't want to look at Harry. If Harry didn't care it would make her sad, and if he did care it would spoil this great moment with Isaac.

When it started to get dark outside, the group went their separate ways. Hermione followed Isaac to the door. She leaned against the railing of the stairs, and watched him put his coat on.

"I had a great time," she continued, "maybe we can do it again?"

"You can count on it," he walked closer to her and Hermione knew he was going to kiss her, she felt a little bit relieved when Neville interrupted them, making Isaac take a few steps back.

"Oh gosh, so sorry Hermione…" He quickly turned around and went back into the living room.

"Well I guess that moment is spoiled," Isaac laughed a little bit and left.

Harry was helping Ron move all the cushions off the floor when Neville entered bright red in the face. He slumped down in the sofa.

"Why does it always have to be me?" he covered his face with his hands.

"What did you do now? Walk in on one of the girls in the bathroom?" Ron asked, Harry laughed and threw another pillow on the sofa.

"I interrupted Hermione's snogging session with that Isaac guy," Neville sighed.

Harry stopped throwing pillows and Ron frowned.


"What are you talking about?" Ron asked heatedly. "They've been on one date and he's already making moves on her? Well he sure doesn't waste anytime, does he?"


Neville looked pleadingly at Harry. Harry nodded in agreement, Neville was allowed to leave the room, and they soon heard the door close. Ron sat down in one of the armchairs and muttered something under his breath. "You all right?" Harry asked while sitting down on another chair.

"Oh, I'm just fine," Ron said and looked at the window.

"I thought you were over her, what's going on?" Harry felt all his energy disappear. He would never have a chance with Hermione if Ron still had feelings for her. What if Ron asks her out, and I had to see them snogging every night on the sofa. I wouldn't stand it, I'd have to kick them out of the house, Harry thought.

"I am over her. It's just that, well she's been so sweet since she moved back. It has made me realize how much I missed her, you know."

"Yeah I do know," Harry agreed.

"I hadn't even seen her since we broke up, and that kind of makes it confusing. I am having some problems sorting out what are friendship feelings, and what are ex-girlfriend feelings. Sometimes I almost think that she is sending me signals…"

"Oh?" this really caught Harry's attention.

"But then I realize that it's just Hermione being nice, as she always is. She is looking rather nice these days isn't she?" he looked over at Harry, who just nodded in agreement.

Ron continued: "I just need to go on a date soon; it's not good for a lonely boy to live in a house with his beautiful ex-girlfriend. I wish I could see Hermione like you do. I mean you two have no history, there is no tension there. I'd like that." Harry swallowed hard, and closed his eyes. No history, he thought, I wish. He could see Hermione naked in his bed, laughing at some stupid joke he had made. He could remember the taste of the mash potatoes she had fed him. It took all his willpower not see her like that all the time.

Hermione had trouble sleeping that night. This was kind of exciting; she hadn't had any interest in a man since Harry. This was of course nothing at all compared to how she had felt for Harry, but it could maybe be something like what she had felt for Ron. Her thoughts were broken when she heard Zoya laughing in the room next door. She turned on her muggle radio and turned up the sound. She collapsed on the floor, kneeling.

You, I hear you're doing fine;
Seems like you're doing well,
As far as I can tell.
Time, is leaving us behind
another week has passed,
and still I haven't laughed yet.
So tell me, what your secret is, baby, yeah.
To letting go, letting go like you did,

It was exactly what she was feeling. Tears started streaming down her face. Why couldn't she just let him go? Why was it so damn easy for Harry to live his life?

Maybe that's just your way of dealing with the pain,
forgetting everything between our rise and fall,
like we never loved at all

She buried her face in her hands and wept even harder, she could hardly breathe. The door swung opened and Harry was standing there with an irritable look on his face. "What's with this bloody music?" But then he looked startled when he saw that she was crying. In two steps he was at her side and didn't know what to do. "Hermione, what's wrong?"

"My life," she gasped.

-->