Unofficial Portkey Archive

In my secret life by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In my secret life

leedee

Chapter Two

-

Nine Crimes

-

Leave me out with the waste

This is not what I do

It's the wrong kind of place

To be thinking of you

It's the wrong time

For somebody new

It's a small crime

And I've got no excuse

Is that alright?

Give my gun away when it's loaded

Is that alright?

If you don't shoot it

How am I supposed to hold it?

Is that alright?

Give my gun away when it's loaded

Is that alright

Is that alright with you?

Leave me out with the waste

This is not what I do

It's the wrong kind of place

To be cheating on you

It's the wrong time

But she's pulling me through

It's a small crime

And I've got no excuse

"9 Crimes" - Damien Rice

-

Harry stared down at his scrambled eggs. He had no appetite, all he could think about was what had happened the night before. He knew that these feelings had not come out of the blue, he had thought about Hermione a few times before, but now it was different. Now he felt a mad jealousy inside of him and he no longer recognized himself. He jammed his fork into a sausage angrily.

"Hey, what did that poor sausage ever do to you?" Harry looked up and saw Ron approaching hand in hand with Hermione.

"I'm not that hungry," Harry said. Hermione sat down next to Harry and leaned over him to reach for the sugar. Harry took a deep breath and smelled her again. When Hermione realized her arm was too short to reach the sugar, she placed her hand on Harry's leg to lean over farther. Harry looked nervously at Ron who didn't seem to notice anything. Only Harry knew what was happening inside of him. Hermione finally grabbed the sugar, leaned back and gave Harry a smile.

"So Ginny is coming over today, right?" she asked. Before Harry could answer, Ron spoke up.

"No, she's not," he said with his mouth full of toast. "Mum sent an owl. She wants us to come home for a few days."

"Why?" Hermione asked with a concerned voice. "We're going to spend Christmas there. Do you think something happened?"

"Don't know," Ron answered, shrugging. But she wants us to come home today." He started buttering a new piece of toast.

Hermione looked worried now. "When did you get this owl? I didn't see anything."

"It arrived while you were in the bath." Ron leaned over and took her hand. "Don't worry, sweetie. I am sure it's nothing bad." Harry glared at Ron's and Hermione's hands while his mind quickly wandered to Hermione in the bath and back to the current subject.

"She didn't say anything about Hermione or me?" he asked.

"No, she just said that Ginny and I would be able to join you back in Hogsmeade in a couple days, and then all of us would spend Christmas at the Burrow. So it'll be just the two of you for a few days." Ron looked at Harry. "Be sure to look out for my girl." Harry glanced at Hermione.

"I think she can take care of herself," he said, and he smiled at her.

An hour and a half later, Harry and Hermione were waving Ron off as he was about to step into the fire at the Three Broomsticks. Hermione wrapped her arms around Ron's neck.

"I'll miss you," Ron whispered.

Hermione smiled, and whispered back, "I know," then kissed him deeply. Harry looked away and Ron stepped into the fire. He gave them both a grin and said, "See you soon. The Burrow!" and he was gone. Hermione turned to Harry.

"So, I guess it's just the two of us now," she said.

"Yup," he said, trying to sound casual. "What now?" Hermione smiled and handed him his coat.

First, they went to Zonko's joke shop and looked around, but Harry couldn't concentrate on anything. He felt like he was misbehaving by just being there with Hermione…it was as if everyone knew what he was thinking. Hermione put her hand on his arm. "See anything?" she asked.

"Just looking," he said, and pulled his arm away. "How about going to Honeydukes?"

She nodded at him.

Harry quickly walked out of the shop and started towards Honeydukes. Hermione stopped and watched him.

What is with him? she thought. I hope he's not mad at me….

Harry didn't even seem to notice that Hermione had been left behind. When he entered Honeydukes, still not turning to look at her, she sighed and shook her head and walked back to the Three Broomsticks. She'd much rather read a book than be ignored! She headed up to her room, lit the fireplace with her wand, and pulled out her copy of "Why I Didn't Die When the Augurey Cried" by Gulliver Pokeby. It wasn't long before there was a knock on her door and, of course, she knew it was Harry. He opened the door and walked in before she told him to enter.

"Did you ditch me?" he asked jokingly.

"I believe it was the other way around," Hermione replied coldly. "Honestly Harry, I don't know what your problem is. Did I do something wrong? You've been acting so strange all day!"

Harry paused a second before quickly answering, "I'm just thinking about Ron and Ginny."

"Don't worry about them. I'm sure everything is O.K.," Hermione said trying to ease his mind. He knew that she thought he was worried about what was happening at the Burrow, but he was thinking about them for a completely different reason. But sure, he could forget about them.

"Are you hungry?" he asked her.

"How about if you give me a few minutes to get ready, and then I'll meet you downstairs." It was more a suggestion than a question.

Harry nodded. "But could we go somewhere else tonight? I don't feel like being around other people at the moment," he said.

"What about me?" she asked, half joking.

"Well, of course I want to be with you." He gave her a warm smile and Hermione's cheeks turned a bright shade of pink.

"We could go to the Hog's Head then."

Harry nodded at her. "I'll pick you up in an hour?"

"It's a date," she said with a light smile and Harry nodded and left the room. Hermione opened her trunk and looked down at what she had brought. She really enjoyed shopping these days now that she had a new, more womanly body. And she knew Ron sure appreciated her new style. During the war there had been no thoughts about outer appearance, but now things were different. She pulled out a pair of dark grey flared pants and a thin dark red tight top. She put the outfit on and wondered if Harry would like it. Not that it matters, she thought. She did her best at straightening her hair and make-up and was finished earlier than she thought. She took one last look before going next door and knocking on Harry's door. When he answered, he was wearing only his trousers. Hermione gasped silently as she looked at his naked torso and toned muscles. It certainly wasn't the first time she'd seen a man's chest, but there was just something about Harry's.

"Wow," she said before she could stop herself.

"Sorry?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. He was obviously amused.

"Quidditch and war sure had an impact. You've changed a bit."

"Yeah, look who's talking," Harry joked. Hermione's cheeks went red at his obvious gesture towards her breasts. She shook it off as he pulled on a black shirt and pressed down a smile as she noticed that he had desperately tried to get his hair to lay flat with the help of water.

"Maybe you know a spell that'll fix it for tonight?" he asked, noticing that she was looking at his hair.

"What? No way, Harry. I love your hair the way it is." He blushed, obviously pleased with her answer.

When they entered the Hog's Head, Harry was delighted to see that it was half empty, and he didn't recognize a single person. He led Hermione to a table in the back and they sat down.

"Fancy a firewhiskey with your first butterbeer?" Harry asked.

"Well…I guess I could try one," Hermione said, a little unsure.

Harry returned with the four glasses. "Together on the count of three. One…two…three." They swept down the firewhiskey.

"Wow, so it's going to be one of those nights, huh?" Hermione asked, and wiped a bit of firewhiskey from her lip.

"What do you mean? I'm in a great mood; I just want to have some fun. Don't you want to have fun?"

"Sure….I guess," Hermione said with hesitation.

"Good." Harry leaned over the table and softly drew his fingertip against her bottom lip. "You missed some."

"Oh." Hermione put her own hand where Harry's had just been. Harry gave her a weak smile. This is weird, Hermione thought. It was almost as though Harry was flirting with her. She sipped her butterbeer and looked around, wondering if people were looking at them…if they thought she was Harry Potter's new girlfriend. She hoped they knew he was just her friend. She hoped they didn't think he was cheating on Ginny. Oh stop it, she thought, no one's looking. No one cares. She looked back and saw that Harry was looking at her. "You are acting really strange tonight," she said and laughed a little. She could allready feel the effects of the firewhiskey. Harry changed the subject and started talking about old memories, things that were sure to get them both in a good mood. They talked about freeing Buckbeak, about Peeves, about different pranks that Fred and George had pulled. After their second butterbeer, Hermione volunteered to get them more drinks. She returned with a butterbeer and a firewhiskey.

"Are you trying to get me drunk?" Harry asked jokingly.

"You wish," she laughed. Hermione couldn't believe that she was flirting with Harry. But he was flirting with her! Of course he's not flirting, she thought. She was being stupid.

After the third firewhiskey, Harry gestured for her to sit beside him. "Why?" Hermione asked hesitantly.

"I can't hear you on the other side of the table, everyone is so loud." Hermione moved her chair next to Harry's. "So I was thinking about moving into Number Twelve Grimmauld place."

"Oh Harry, that's great! And that's close to the ministry!"

"Well, I don't know if I want to work there yet."

"You would be a wonderful Auror, Harry," Hermione put her hand on his arm. "Don't doubt yourself. I mean, it would be wonderful if you were at the ministry - we'd be working at the same place. It would be so much fun!" Harry couldn't help smiling at her enthusiasm

"Maybe you could move in with me. We could split the expenses," Harry suggested.

"And Ron…." Hermione trailed off. They both went quiet and looked down at the table. Hermione looked over at the bar at a man ordering another firewhiskey. Harry, on the other hand, was looking at Hermione. He noticed her neckline, how soft and beautiful it looked.

"So, tell me something new, something exciting?" Hermione said playfully, looking back at Harry.

"I'm thinking about breaking up with Ginny," Harry said matter-of-factly.

"What..? Why would you tell me something like that?" Harry felt his courage run away. Maybe he was imagining all of it.

"I don't think I'm in love with her." He tried to read her face, but she only looked shocked.

"Maybe you are just going through a tough spot," Hermione tried.

"I am not sure I ever did love her, actually." Harry wasn't just saying these things; he really spoke from his heart. He looked up and saw Hermione's concerned face; she really cared for him. He wondered if he should tell her the whole truth,

"We should go back to the Three Broomsticks," he said and stood up. He was kind of light-headed and Hermione reached out for his arm. Harry grabbed her hand and, without objecting, Hermione followed him. They walked up the street with their fingers intertwined. He's just drunk, I'm supporting him, Hermione thought. Before she knew it they were standing outside her door. She leaned against the door and Harry looked at her, expressionless.

"What's going on, Harry?" she demanded.

"May I come inside?" Hermione opened the door without answering. She sat down on the bed, and Harry sat down next to her. "I need to ask you something.…" Hermione started fidgeting with her hair. She didn't really know what was about to happen, but she was nervous. Harry cleared his throat and continued. "Basically I have been having feelings…."

"Oh?" He took Hermione's hand in his and started stroking it with his other hand.

"Harry, what…." but he interrupted her.

"I am trying to do as you said - pretend Ginny and Ron aren't here. As if they weren't in this room standing in between us. It's you, Hermione."

"What do you mean it's me?"

"I can't stop thinking about you. Hermione, I think I'm in love with you."

-->