Unofficial Portkey Archive

In my secret life by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In my secret life

leedee

Ok here comes yet another chapter. The story is already finished, that's why I can upload so frequently. I love getting reviews so pleeeease don't stop reviewing. Thanks again to my Beta Chelsey!

-

Chapter 6

-

Ain't No Sunshine

-

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
She's gone much too long
Any time she goes away

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
Wonder if she's gone to stay
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away

I know
She's gone to stay
It's breakin' me up
Anytime she goes away
Gotta leave the young thing alone
There ain't no sunshine when she's gone

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers

One and a half years later

Hermione enjoyed all that she had learned during her many months abroad. She had spent her first year in Australia at the British department, and then she had spent six months with Charlie in Romania. She was afraid to go back home after just one year. She didn't know if Ron or Harry felt the same way, but she certainly wasn't ready. Though the days had been long, and the nights even longer, time hadn't healed any of her wounds and she had to give herself more time. So that's when she asked for an internship with Charlie.

She didn't have much of a life outside of work - she chose to bury herself in it. She regularly corresponded with Ginny and Luna, and Ron began sending her owls after a long time. The last few months he sent almost two every month, but Harry had never sent one. Not for her birthday, not for Christmas, nothing. She wasn't all that surprised; she knew Harry was very angry with her, and that he might never forgive her, but she continued to send him gifts and cards for all holidays, she just couldn't help herself.

She had kept a pretty close eye on them. It wasn't difficult; they were often in the newspapers, even abroad. She also had the Daily Prophet delivered every single day. Ron was now playing Quidditch professionally and Harry had a job at the ministry. Harry and Ginny broke up two months after she left, apparently Ginny had instigated it. She had written to Hermione about how Harry was becoming withdrawn and irritable. Hermione of course did not give any comforting advice to this, but read Ginny's letters like a good friend. Inside she felt like anything but a good friend, she knew that Harry was pulling away from Ginny because of what had happened between him and Hermione. The worst part was that Hermione wasn't sad about it. When she finally received the owl from Ginny telling her about their break up, Hermione had held the letter to her chest and bit her lip, so not to scream out in joy.

Ginny was working with Fred and George at their shop now, and she seemed to love the job. And nowadays you could often see Harry in the newspaper with a new girl on his arm every time. It hurt Hermione to think about those girls, but there was nothing she could do about it. She tried to push it out of her mind. Ron hadn't mentioned a new girlfriend, but Hermione didn't really know, the newspapers didn't write about that in the same way they did about the famous Harry Potter.

Now that the ministry had contacted Hermione about returning to London, she was terrified. She now sat in her bed looking through clippings she had collected during the eighteen months. She picked up one of the interviews with Harry. She looked at the moving image of him; he was brightly smiling and scratching the back of his head. It made Hermione's cheeks a little hot; she loved when he did that.

So Harry, where are you living now?

I share a house with my best friend Ron Weasley, you might now him as Ron "The King" Weasley, the Keeper for Chudley Cannons. It's great; he is away a lot so I get the house to myself. It's a house I inherited from Sirius Black, my godfather. You know the one, innocent man, sent to Azkaban….

Hermione skimmed further down the interview.

So, what about the ladies? You know, a lot of women want to know if you are single!

(Harry laughing) Well there is no one special in my life.

No, quite a few special we have heard

(Laughing again) No comment on that one. I'm just having a bit of fun; I'm not looking for a girlfriend.

Hermione threw the paper on the floor. That didn't sound like anything Harry would ever say. But then again, she hadn't spoken a word with him in eighteen months. Maybe he was a new person. She sighed loudly and then grabbed a pen and quill.

Dear Ron,

Guess what? Yours truly is returning to London I feel a bit funny about it, nervous actually. Not sure I am ready for the ministry, it's such a responsibility. I saw that you won your last match, good job!

Sincerely,

Hermione

She looked around her tent. This humble tent had been her home for six months. She pointed her wand around and her clothes flew into her trunk. Crookshanks jumped into her lap.

"Afraid I'll leave you here with the dragons?" She started scratching his stomach and he purred affectionately.

"Don't worry, where I go you go," she continued and put him down on the floor. She had to go back to Charlie and the others; they still had work to do. They had just received five eggs of Peruvian Vipertooth, and they were about to hatch. Her co-workers had been very good to her these six months; they had made her feel at home. She would be sad to say goodbye to them, even though she looked forward to being closer to her parents again, and Ron, Ginny, and… Harry.

The next morning Hermione all ready had an answer from Ron.

H.

Great news. Can't wait to see you again. Writing in a hurry, late for practice. Come straight to Grim Place.

R.

Would she go to Grimmauld place? She would have to meet Harry, could she handle it? Sure I can! she told herself. He was obviously over her, so what was the problem? She had hid her feelings for him for years before, she could do it again. She let Ginny know what day she would get back, and Ginny spread the word. The day Hermione was to return she was so nervous. She kept looking in the mirror and when she was on the airplane from Romania she felt a little sick. Her parents had been in Romania twice in the six months, so she would go straight to Grimmauld Place. Her parents wouldn't mind since they had seen her so recently.

She knew her friends would be waiting for her at Grimmauld Place. She might as well dive right in to it. She took a taxi from the airport to the house, but when it stopped in front of the house she couldn't bring herself to get out.

"Miss, are you all right?" The husky man gave her a worried look.

"Hm? Oh, yes." She went back to the trunk and got her bag and her cat box. The door flew open to the house and Ginny came running out.

"Hermione!" she shrieked.

She ran over and threw herself around Hermione. Hermione saw over her shoulder that Ron was leaning against the door post with a smile on his face. He looked great. His hair was longer, and his face was tanned and freckled. Playing Quidditch these years had given him an even stronger physic. She walked up the stairs and gave him a loving hug. She had missed him so much. He hugged just as lovingly back.

"You look awesome," he stated and looked at her.

She had on a light blue long denim skirt and a bright pink tank top. She wore a leather necklace and her hair had gotten longer and highlighted from the sun.

"Hey," said Neville and gave her a light pad on the back.

Hermione was so happy to see him, she pulled him into a hug, which embarrassed him slightly. And then she saw him. Harry was standing in the back of the hallway and he was looking right at her. Hermione's knees became weak and her heart jumped a beat. She was afraid to go up to him but she started to walk towards him anyway. He looked absolutely perfect. Hermione decided he must have been working indoors a lot because he didn't have much of a tan considering the sunny weather Britain had been blessed with that spring. He wore a navy-blue knitted jumper that looked a little too big, but it looked good. He had his hands in the pockets of worn jeans and his hair was the same as always, if not even messier.

This is it, she thought, all or nothing.

He gave her weak smile and leaned in and lightly kissed her cheek. "Welcome back Hermione," he sounded very formal.

"Harry," she said in a sigh before she could stop herself. Ginny grabbed her hand and led her into the living room. Everyone followed except Harry who went into the kitchen.

"Luna wanted to come, but she had a deadline at The Quibbler," Ginny explained.

"Oh, that's all right," Hermione answered. She felt awkward sitting here with all her old friends.

"You can sleep on our sofa as long as you want, or until you find your own place," Ginny continued. Hermione smiled nervously at her. Will I be able to do this? Act as if the last eighteen months haven't changed anything? Is everything really the way it was with everyone? Am I the only one who feels weird? she wondered.

"Tell us about the dragons." Neville nodded excitedly at her.

"Of course, I know all about that," Ginny proclaimed proudly. "I've visited three times."

"Speaking of which, Mitrios sent his best." Hermione winked at Ginny. Her cheeks turned a hot shade of pink and Ron shook his head knowingly.

"My sister, the female Casanova," he muttered. "But, hey Hermione, you don't have to sleep on their sofa. Why don't you stay here with us? We've got loads of extra bedrooms. We could spend sometime together again. I really missed you, you know."

She was horrified at the thought of sharing a house with Harry but she managed a smile. "That's sweet Ron but…." Harry walked out of the kitchen where he had been hiding and into the living room, he also had a rather horrified look on his face. That bothered Hermione a little bit. Why was he still mad at her? Hadn't she kept away long enough?

"No, but listen," Ron continued. "I don't know what happened between you two…." Harry looked quickly looked at Hermione and then at the window. "…but we are all best friends. I know you two had some kind of fight, but that was ages ago. Please Hermione, it would sure mean a lot to me…to us. Right, Harry?" He turned around and looked at Harry who just shrugged.

Harry hates me. I can see it. How do I answer this? Ron is just trying to be a good friend, she thought.

"Oh get off it, I know you missed her. I was mad at her for leaving as well, but she's back now. Everything can go back to normal again. And what reason could you have for not wanting to live here, Hermione? We talked about living together ever since sixth year. At least until you find your own place!"

Hermione looked at Harry for help. "I don't know," she hesitated. She couldn't very well tell him her reasons.

"Good, is it settled then?" Ron beamed.

"Yeah, I guess that'd be O.K.," Harry mumbled and went back into the kitchen.

It was evening and Hermione was sitting in her new room by herself. Harry had left the house shortly after she had arrived there. She couldn't bring herself to unpack, she felt like she had to talk to Harry first. She needed to know if he wanted her to leave.

She had left her door slightly open so that she could hear when Harry came home. She heard rumbling in the kitchen and decided to go downstairs and join him. But wasn't Harry, it was Ron making a sandwich. He smiled widely when he saw her.

"I'm glad you're back," he said truthfully. She sat down at the table.

"How about you make me one of those sandwiches as well," she nodded at his sandwich. He grabbed more bread and started buttering it. "Ron, look I've got to ask you something…"

"Don't worry. I'm fine," he turned around and looked at her. "I won't say that I wasn't sad after you left. I really thought we were good together, but I get it. It didn't work for you," he smiled weakly. "I really missed you, first I missed my girlfriend but then I missed my best friend. Hermione, that's what we are, and always will be: best friends!"

"You don't know how happy that makes me," she smiled brightly at him.

"Come here and give me some lovin' then." He opened his arm widely and when seeing her face he added, "Oh, not the old times kind of lovin', I just meant a hug."

She walked over and hugged him tightly. The door slammed, and suddenly Harry was standing at the other side of the room looking at them. "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt," he said coldly.

"No you didn't mate. Fancy a sandwich?" Ron threw him one.

"Actually yeah, I am famished," he sat down at the table and Hermione went back to her seat and ate her sandwich in silence.

"Ronald?" They heard suddenly Mrs. Weasley's voice from the fireplace.

"Coming mum," he yelled back and headed for the living room.

Hermione immediately turned to Harry. "Look, if you want me to leave, just say the word! I'll go right now. This wasn't my idea at all, it was Ron's."

"Yeah I know, I was there," Harry answered coolly. "I don't mind, I really don't care whether you stay or go."

"Oh. Well in that case I should go right away." She started to stand up when Harry grabbed her arm and pulled her back down. Hermione felt like the skin he had touched was on fire.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that in, as a friend, you are more then welcome to stay. I just meant that it won't bother me. What happened between us… I got over that long ago."

Hermione swallowed hard. "Good."

-

The days passed, and soon a couple of weeks, also. Harry was hardly in the house, he worked long hours and in the evenings he was out. Hermione guessed he was with some of his bimbo groupies. Ron was gone days at a time, but they spent a lot of time together when he was back at Grimmauld Place. Hermione felt lonely in the big house, even Kreacher would have made good company there, but to Harry's delight, Kreacher had died in the war. Hermione thought about leaving the house, but she just couldn't, it would show Harry that he still affected her, and she was stronger than that!

She began her work at the ministry. She worked for the Beast, Being, and Spirit Divisions. She hardly ever saw Harry, being an Auror he was on the second floor, while she was on the forth, and if he passed her in the hallway he just nodded curtly at her. Sometimes she broke down crying in her office; she felt lonelier then she had ever felt abroad.

Three weeks after she had returned, she sat in her office going over one of her Romanian co-workers requests to export five dragon eggs from Britain. Her door flung open and she felt a little sick. There stood Draco Malfoy. Draco had merely escaped during the war. He had always been on the Death Eaters' side, though not officially of course. When Crabbe was killed, Draco went to the Ministry and told them where they could find Goyle. This cleared him from all charges. He inherited his late parents' mansion, and now he had a job at the ministry. He had inherited his father's old status, in spite of Lucius being a Death Eater.

"Granger," he spat at her.

"What are you doing here Malfoy?" she answered, not believing her eyes.

"I am one of your supervisors," He grinned.

"What?" Hermione stood up behind her desk.

"Well, naturally. I mean, father had many creatures in his care. Not at the mansion, of course," he said and threw his hand nonchalantly in the air. "But here I am, working at Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. They practically begged me to come and help them."

"Yeah, I'm sure," she mumbled.

He sneered at her. "Yes well, I need that report before the day is over."

She looked at the great clock on her wall. "I'm off in just one hour!" she exclaimed.

"Well then, better get on it. Luckily you don't have a life."

He closed the door and Hermione felt like reaching for her wand and hexing him.

It was after midnight when Hermione got home, and she was completely exhausted. She heard Ron and Harry laughing in the living room and started walking up the stairs when Ron called her name. She dragged herself into the living room.

"Blimey, what happened to you?" Ron asked.

"Malfoy is my new boss," she answered and sat down on the armchair of the sofa.

Ron's eyes popped out and even Harry gave her a concerned look. This sent both of them into a fury about all that Draco Malfoy had done, where he should be placed, and what curse would be best to use on him. Hermione turned around and left the room, and Ron called after her, "We are having a party tomorrow, everyone is coming." She didn't even bother answering. "Whoa, she seems really down," Ron said to Harry.

"Yup," Harry replied casually.

"When are you going to give her a break? Don't give me that innocent look. Look I know you were mad that she left as well and maybe you thought it was wrong to just leave me, but if I can forgive her then so can you. This is really tiring Harry. We were all best friends, and you are what is standing between it being like it was."

"I don't mean to be a jerk..." Harry answered with a low voice. He really didn't, he just didn't feel like talking to Hermione at all. She had really hurt him when she left. He had gone out with as many girls as he could to forget her, but it hadn't worked as well as he had hoped. The moment she had stepped out of that taxi he had realized that absolutely nothing had changed. Maybe Ron was right, maybe he was being too hard on her. It wasn't her fault that he couldn't get over her. "All right I'll make an effort at the party tomorrow."

-

The next evening, while Harry was getting ready for the party he felt giddy and nervous. What would he wear? He didn't want to look overdressed. He chose all black - that always worked for him. He walked downstairs and made himself a drink. He had started buying drinks from both the magic and the muggle world. Ginny and Luna were the first ones to arrive, Ginny looked stunning as always in a tight, short black dress. Her long hair was dancing down her back, and she smelled wonderful. She gave Harry a kiss on the cheek. She still loved to flirt with him, and Harry was pretty sure that she was hoping he'd come around in the future. Luna wore a long, purple, velvet dress, and she had white flowers in her hair. He couldn't help wondering how things that might look odd on most girls managed to look beautiful on her. He gave her a welcoming hug. Neville arrived by himself, and he had brought some flowers.

"You are so polite," Ginny said and kissed both his cheeks.

"It's my gran, she made me bring them when she heard I was going to see Harry," he answered embarrassed.

Seamus and the twins came together, of course. Fred hadn't brought Angelina, who was working nights at St. Mungo's. Two girls walked in next - one was Harry's date and the other was a friend she had brought. Jenny was her name and she had long, black hair and big blue eyes. She was quite short and had a cute face. The other one, Harry's date, was Vicky; she had big, blonde curls and was a quite curvy girl. Harry had to think for a second…which one was his date again? He received an answer when he saw Vicky pout her red lips at him.

"Harry, sweetie." She batted her eyes at him.

Harry pressed a forced smile. Ron looked jealously at Harry…Vicky was hot! They all sat down and began drinking and listening to music. Harry didn't even hear Hermione come home and sneak up the stairs. He didn't notice her until she entered the room.

Damn it, he thought angrily. Why did she have look so beautiful?!

-->