Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hidden Agenda by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hidden Agenda

leedee

AN: Time for the ball. This was my favourite chapter to write! So many of you are writing reviews and I just want you to know that each one puts a smile on my face, well maybe not some of the hate reviews ;-) I'm going away for the weekend so I won't be able to update for two days, hope you forgive me. I know you like the story to be updated daily!

-

-

Chapter 9

-

-

When Draco came to pick Hermione up he had a bouquet of red roses with him. .

Harry brought me sunflowers once for my birthday. He's the only one whoever remembered that they are my favourite she thought.

"You look very gorgeous tonight," he stated.

He looked rather gorgeous himself in his white tie outfit.

She smiled and gave him a kiss. She was wearing a cream white gown with small handmade golden embroideries. It was fairly tight around the chest, but flared out more towards the bottom. She let her hair hang loose, but she used a semi-straightening potion which left her hair long and wavy and she had even used muggle make-up.

As they were sitting in the limousine Hermione was becoming more and more nervous. Draco could see her face tense up and squeezed her hand. She turned to him and asked:

"So, that Paris thing, is that still on?"

He looked surprised then shot her a sexy smile. "It is if you want it to be."

Â

"I am seriously thinking about it." Â

Draco felt his insides tingle - she made him very happy.  And he couldn't wait to bring Hermione home and again have her in his bed. As the limousine stopped Hermione looked terrified as she looked out the window.

"This is like a bloody movie premier," she panted.

"A what?"

"Never mind, it's a muggle thing."

She took his hand and exited as the driver opened the door.  Lights went off and she clung to Draco's arm for dear life. They walked along the red carpet and Draco stopped to talk to some reporters.  Finally they entered the Great Ball Room. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. There were large chandeliers everywhere, floating candles slowly bobbed along in the room. The room was in golden tones and there were golden birds singing in random places of the room.  A large orchestra was sitting on a stage playing music. There were two large bars on either side of the room and in the middle was a large dance floor. It was surrounded by large round tables with ten seats at each one.

The moment they walked into the room, people were coming up to Draco and talking to him, but Hermione didn't recognize most of them. Â

As a waiter walked by, Draco grabbed a champagne flute for both of them. Hermione took the one offered to her gratefully and sipped it.

"Ah, Marcus my friend," she heard Draco say and she turned to look at the couple approaching them.  It was Marcus Flint and his wife, the former Pansy Parkinson. Pansy was glaring at Hermione and Hermione was quite sure that Pansy would have liked nothing more than to attack her right there.  Pansy was dressed in Slytherin green and looked quite unhappy.

"Draco," she said and leaned in and kissed his cheeks.  She did this a bit longer than she should and Marcus grabbed her hand possessively. Hermione had not forgotten how Pansy had been in Draco's room. Draco seemed to have forgotten this completely, acting as if it had never happened and it worried Hermione a little that he could lie so easily. She turned; slightly bored with the conversation, and looked around the large hall.  She saw Ginny and Neville and smiled.  She gently stroked Draco's arm and Pansy shot her even more hateful glares.Â

"Draco, I'm just going to go over and say hello to Ginny and Neville."

"I'll join you," he quickly answered and excused them.

He put his arm around Hermione's waist at they walked towards the other side of the room.

"Does he know your sleeping with his wife?" she asked, sounding more annoyed and jealous than she would have liked.

"Well I'm not anymore, am I?" he asked obviously pleased by her jealousy. She had to smile at him.

"Ginny you look so beautiful!" Hermione stated as they arrived. Ginny had her hair up in a French Twist and was wearing the yellow gown they had found in the shop.

"Oh stop Hermione, you look breathtaking yourself," Ginny answered.

"Yes, she does," Draco added and caressed her back.

Draco liked to compliment Hermione, but it was obvious that she wasn't used to it. And the most beautiful thing about her was how she didn't even know how beautiful she was.Â

Hermione appreciated how polite and nice both Ginny and Neville were to Draco, and it didn't feel awkward at all. But as she turned to look at the entrance, her heart suddenly stopped.

Oh my god, there he is!

Harry had arrived with Cho on his arm.  Next to them were Ron and Luna. Both of the men wore similar dress robes as all the boys had had at the Yule ball, while the girls looked even fancier. Cho looked stunning, of course, in a dark blue, silk dress; and Luna wore a large, multi-layered, dark red, velvet dress. She also wore her hair up, but in a simpler do than Ginny.

Has he seen me? Will he come here? Can I bear to talk to him?

Harry looked up and met her eyes and exhaled sharply. She looked so dashing. He saw Draco protectively holding his arm around her and Harry deliberately steered his party in another direction.

Draco turned to look what Hermione was looking at, and he saw Harry walking away. He looked at Hermione, and wanted to catch her attention, but it seemed impossible.

Again a mad jealousy hit him.

"Guys, I think it's time to sit," Neville said.

He was right, the feast was about to begin.

Draco and Hermione sat with no one she knew, even though they all seemed to know Draco.  She looked around at the other tables and saw that all her friends were seated at the same table. Cho had no doubt arranged it, wanting to make Harry happy while keeping Hermione as far from him as possible. The food was lovely and the company around the table wasn't half bad. Even though Hermione thought many of them were trying a bit too hard to suck up to Draco.  Â

She leaned over and whispered:


"Are these people your friends?"

He looked around the table and then answered:

"No, I don't really have any friends."

She placed her hand on his.

"Well you have me."

His heart beat faster; no one had ever been so good to him. If only she knew the truth about why he had approached her from the beginning.

Dinner ended and the orchestra started playing a waltz.

Without asking, Draco took Hermione's hand and led her to the dance floor. Most people were getting up to dance, and Hermione saw that Harry and Cho were still seated.

Draco led her around the dance floor like a pro, and every now and then she would look over at Harry, more than once she met his eyes but he quickly looked away as they met.

After a few dances she saw the whole gang gathered in what looked like a big circle.

"Let's go talk to your friends," Draco suggested as he took her by the hand. When Cho saw them approaching, she immediately looked annoyed.

Luna looked happy to see her roommate, as did Ron.

"Wow look at you pretty lady." Ron gave her a hug.

There was an awkward silence for just a moment before Ginny started telling them about how the Seeker of her team had taken a bad fall during practice. Harry and Draco glared slightly at each other, both remembering their days as Seekers at Hogwarts.

"So Draco, I hear you have been approved for the Auror program," Cho suddenly spoke.

Everyone looked surprised.

"Yes that's right Cho," he answered very annoyed at her for bringing it up.

"How did you know about that?" Hermione asked Cho.

"Oh Hermione, I work at the Daily Prophet, it's my job to know about these things."


"Funny, I thought you only dealt with gossip and lies… at the Prophet that is," Hermione spat at her. Ginny giggled and Cho glowered at her.

"Sorry, must have had a little too much champagne," Ginny laughed.

Draco placed his arm fondly on Hermione's lower back again. Cho saw it and wanted to demonstrate her own relationship. She reached for Harry's hand but he tugged it away.

Hermione leaned close to Draco and whispered:

"Excuse me; I think I need to go to the ladies room." He nodded and gave her a light kiss on the cheek.

Ginny had heard what she said and added:

"I'll join you."

Luna also joined them, and they set off. Hermione felt slightly nervous about leaving Draco with Harry, but at least the others were there with them.

As they entered the ladies room Ginny started powdering her nose at the mirror in her stall.

"Wow, so that's pretty intense out there isn't it?" she asked.

"Yes it really is," Luna agreed from inside her stall.

"Well Draco is being nice at least," Hermione answered.

"You two look good together," Ginny said.

"Not as nice as Harry and you would," Luna intersected.

The room was silent for a moment.Â

"Sorry," she added.

"It's fine Luna."

They were all silent for a few more moments.

"But Hermione, it has to be nice to have two handsome guys drawling over you?" Ginny suddenly said.

"Stop it Gin. Harry doesn't event think about me like that."

"That is not true," Luna objected.

"You know it isn't." Ginny bent down her head and spoke under the wall between her and Hermione's stall.

"If he cared for me in that way, he would have made his move a long time ago," Hermione answered stubbornly.

"Oh please. Just look at him and Cho, there is nothing there. He doesn't feel a thing for her. Sure, he may have a few roles in the sack with her," Hermione rolled her eyes as Ginny said this," but he doesn't have any feelings for her, and he never will."

Hermione and Ginny flushed their toilets at the same time.

"Ginny, you don't know what you are talking about. I swear, you could write soap opera's for muggle TV…"

Hermione suddenly went quiet. She had opened her stall door and saw Cho leaning against the wash bin.

"What's a soapop…" Ginny also opened and saw Cho.

Cho turned on her heel and stormed out of the bathroom.

"Ooops." was all Ginny could say.

"Let's go," Hermione said sadly.

--

Draco looked at Harry. What had Hermione ever seen in him? Draco hated Harry with ever fibre of his being, and he knew the feeling was mutual.

Harry turned to Draco.

"So, who did you have to pay to get in to the Auror programme?"

Draco leaned closer so that only Harry could hear him.

"It must drive you mental… that Hermione sleeps in my bed. Did you know she makes the most lovely moans when she is having sex."

Harry stared at Draco, both furious and incredulously. This of course spurred Draco on.

"Honestly, she is one of the best I've ever had. She almost feels like a virgin, you know. So innocent, but such an appetite. I honestly don't know if I can hold it until we get home, maybe I'll just ravish…"

He didn't get to finish the sentence. Harry had pushed him square in the chest, so hard that Draco almost fell backwards.

"Watch it!" Draco spat at Harry.

"You should watch it Malfoy. I have no hesitations in finishing you right here, who cares if the world has one less Death Eater."

"It must kill you Potter, that I am the one claiming her every night." Draco sneered maliciously.

Harry took two large steps forward to take a swing at Draco, but Ron grabbed him.

At that moment Cho arrived with the other girls close behind.

"What's going on?" she demanded.

Harry glared furiously at Draco, who at that moment did an obscene gesture with his tongue.  Harry wrenched himself free and ran forward again. He took a swing at Draco, who avoided his punch effortlessly.  But as he backed away, Draco backed right into Luna who was pushed to the ground. She hit her head and fell unconscious. Everyone hurried forward to help her. Everyone hurried forward to help her.

"What the hell are you doing?" Hermione demanded of Harry. She was trying to keep her voice down, not wanting to catch people's attention.

Cho looked like she would explode. She knew what the fight had been about of course. It was all Hermione's fault as usual.

"You…" She pointed at Hermione.

"What did I do?"

Draco grabbed Hermione's arm.

"Let's just go Hermione," he pleaded suddenly feeling very unnerved at what Cho would do in her fury.

"You think you are something don't you. Just like in school, acting like you are such a good girl when in real life you're just a little bitch."

Hermione took a step forward, very red in the face.

"You should shut your trap Cho, I won't hesitate to hex you right here, and you know I could easily take you." Cho looked at Harry, waiting for him to defend her but he, just like the others, were just watching the screaming match.

"Well little Hermione, you should know…"

Draco started tugging at Hermione's arm.

"Let's go Hermione. And you Cho, better watch it!" He pointed at Cho.

She lifted her hands innocently.

"What Draco? What exactly don't you want Hermione to find out?"

Hermione looked inquiringly and surprised between the two.

"Should I maybe not tell precious Hermione that I had to bribe you to take her out? That's right, he only went out with you because I paid him."


"You shut your mouth," Draco said very loudly.

People started turning their heads.

"What the hell are you tal…" Ron said but was interrupted.

"That's right. He never wanted to go out with you at all, he did it as a job, a favour to me."

Hermione was quiet, she turned to Draco, a face of unbelief on her face.

Everyone was silent, even Cho.

"I can explain," Draco answered but he knew it was too late. Hermione yanked her arm from his grasp. She looked around at the faces in the group and took a few steps backwards before turning quickly on her heel and walking away.

She started running, pushing her way between the crowds. She had to lift her dress, so not to stumble over it. As she reached the fresh spring air she started running, not even noticing the tears running down her face. She ran until her lungs ached, not stopping until she found an empty bench in the dark by the Thames. There she collapsed, crying her heart out. Why did this happen to her? Why had she been so stupid to think Draco could really care about her? The worst thing of it all was that Harry had heard what Cho had said, it was so embarrassing. Everyone had heard!

She had been there for just a few minutes when she thought she heard someone behind her. She turned to look but a hand suddenly clamped down hard over her mouth. She tried to break free but was held down.

"Be still you filthy Mudblood," a hoarse voice croaked.

Hermione's eyes shot open in horror but suddenly everything went black as she felt a pain in the back of her head.

-->