Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hidden Agenda by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hidden Agenda

leedee

AN: Here comes another chapter, I will try to update everyday. Thanks again to my beta Chelsey, any mistakes in the chapter are made by me and my last minute changes!

And to all of you calling Harry a jerk in my story; I just feel that it's a pretty normal reaction when someone is jealous and can't handle their feelings. Thanks to those of you who write nice things and like the story, I really appreciate it!

-

-

Chapter 4

-

-

Hermione was standing out on her balcony with Luna and Ginny, she didn't want to tell them about the kiss here at the party.

"So what's going on between you and my brother?" Ginny asked and nodded encouragingly.

"You better not mean the youngest brother," Luna joked.

"Oh stop." Hermione laughed at both of them.

They were interrupted when the balcony door started to open. Draco stepped out on the balcony and the girls went quiet.

"Sorry ladies, didn't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to get a smoke." He started to turn around.

"Don't worry, you can smoke." Hermione didn't know what made her say that. He turned around and stepped back out again. He leaned against the railing and looked from girl to girl.

"Honestly, what did I interrupt? What secrets were you talking about?"

"Hermione's love life," Luna answered before they had a chance to stop her.

A smile immediately grew on Draco's face.

"Well, please do tell."

"There's nothing to tell," Hermione stated.

"Literally!" Luna inserted.

Ginny placed a hand on Luna's mouth.

"Come on, Drunky McDrunkers, let's get you inside." She pulled Luna behind her.

Hermione felt a bit uncomfortable being out there alone with Draco.Â

"It's a great night," Draco stated. He was leaning slightly over the railing, both arms on it, gazing out over the view.

"Well it's a weird night at least," she answered quietly.

"I think these spring evenings are even better than the summer."Â Hermione nodded in agreement. Â

"You surprise me, Draco…"

"Why, because I'm not the bastard you think I am?" He looked at her.

"No, I was going to say: you surprise me, talking about spring evenings"

"Well, things change." He looked at her lips as he said it.Â

"I guess they do," she agreed and gazed down at the view he had just stopped looking at.

"But it seems something's never change. I've seen that tonight." He tried to read her expression as he said this.

"What do you mean?" She looked into his grey eyes, afraid of his answer.

Draco chose not to say what was on his mind; he didn't want to embarrass her.

"I just meant that some of your friends in there will never be able to see me as anything but a Death Eater's son."Â

"They will, in time."

"Do you?"

She thought for a moment then answered:

"Getting there." She turned and walked off the balcony.

Draco smiled to himself. She intrigued him. She didn't take all of his bullshit, and he actually liked it. He didn't think he would be able to ever remember and see her as anything but a know-it-all in school, but she wasn't like that at all. She had grown into her knowledge, just as she had with her teeth. He looked at her through the window, she sure had grown into a sexy woman. But there was something about her, a sadness that had a strong presence.

--

Before he knew it, he was helping one of the Weasley twins carry out the other one. They were all walking with them to a taxi outside. The twin, whoever it was, had asked him because Draco was the more sober choice of the boys. They stuffed the drunken twin into the backseat.Â

"Thanks, that was decent of you Malfoy." George shook his hand.

"No worries, Weasley," he replied and watched George turn to say goodbye to his friends.

He walked up to Hermione.

"Honestly, you are more than welcome to sleep over," she told him.Â

He raised his eyebrow and grinned.


"Oh stop, you know what I mean - on one of the mattresses or the sofa."

Harry turned to Ron and gestured throwing up. Ron smacked him on the arm and stifled a laugh.

George took Hermione's arm and pulled her bit to the side, but they were still just a few feet from the others.

"I'm sorry we didn't get to take that walk," he whispered.

Hermione had totally forgotten about that, certain other things had occupied her thoughts.

"Yes, me to. Next time."

George threw a quick look at the others, they were all watching, but he didn't care. He leaned in and let his lips softly touch hers. Hermione was slightly surprised, she never thought George would to that with the others watching. She was relieved when he pulled back, letting it just be a small peck. He softly caressed her cheek.

"See you soon Hermione," he said and jumped into the taxi.

She fixed her eyes on the taxi as it pulled away, afraid of turning around. Not until Ginny spoke, did she force herself to face the rest.

"George and Hermione, sitting in a tree…" Ginny smiled brightly, but was cut off by Harry.

"Yeah Mrs. Weasley must be proud, having the same girl work her way through all her sons," he spat and turned on his heel.

Hermione felt like he had punched her in the stomach. He could really hurt her worse than anyone. Ginny took a step forward to say something but Hermione held her hand up.

"Don't," she said simply and the rest of them turned and walked back inside.

She sat down on the pavement and looked down the dark street.

"May I join you?" She looked up and saw the dark silhouette of Draco.

She gave him a slight nod. He sat down next to her and she could smell his cologne again. It wasn't hard to understand how Draco could be such a playboy. His hair had gotten longer and he didn't wear it quite as slick anymore. He was obviously very cautious of his appearance, his body seemed very toned and his clothes were always flawless. Â

"Do you want some of this?" he pulled a small flask out of his inner pocket.Â

"You brought your own spirits?" She gave him a weak smile.


"Well, I didn't know if you guys would try to poison me," he joked.

She grabbed it and took a large sip.

"Whoa, what the bloody hell is that?" she gasped while trying to breathe.Â

"Absinthe," he answered and reached for the bottle.

---

Hermione couldn't open her eyes. It hurt far too much. She took a breath, and even that was hurting her. She could feel that she was in her bed, but when did she get there? How did she get there? Her mouth felt dry, and she thought she would be sick.

She felt hot and started to pull down the covers a bit. As she did that she felt an arm lying over her waist. She also realized that someone was holding her from behind. Her eyes shot opened, and she winced with pain. She looked down and realized that she was in bra and knickers.

She could feel naked skin against her back, and panic started to rise. She looked down at the hand around her waist and she immediately knew it wasn't Harry's. This was a very well-groomed and polished hand. She got a bad feeling and felt fear building up. It suddenly got worse when she felt, what she could only guess was a morning erection poking her from behind. She turned her head slowly and saw Draco fast asleep.

She couldn't move.

This is the worst thing that ever could have happened to me!

She heard voices outside, and before she had a second to react there was a fast knock on the door and it opened.

"Herm…" Harry's voice died. He stared at them, not able to speak.

No, this is the worst thing that could happen!

"Harry," she hoarsely croaked.

"What the bloody hell?" Ginny arrived at Harry's side, staring at them. Hermione felt Draco wake up after Ginny's loud shriek.

He pulled his hand of Hermione, and Luna and Ron showed up in the door, wondering what had happened.

"Would you fucking close the door and let us get dressed!" Draco ordered angrily.

"What the hell did you do to Hermione?" Ron yelled.

I am going to die? Or have I died and went to hell?! Hermione thought.

Harry quickly turned around and pushed his way through the others and into the hallway. A moment later the front door slammed.

"Get the fuck out!" Draco ordered again, and Ginny pushed them out and closed the door. Hermione flew out of the bed and Draco couldn't stop his eyes from exploring her half naked body. She became aware of this quickly and reached for her robe.

She stared at him, completely shocked.

"Draco, are you naked under there?" she asked, panic in her voice.

"No," he answered without looking, "you wish."

"Are you sure?"

"Believe me, if we'd gotten naked together, you'd remember." He smirked at her and she rolled her eyes.

"Why, are you that poorly endowed?"

"No because I'm just that good," he answered honestly and got out of the bed. Hermione stared at his naked torso. It was broad, muscular and tanned, quite the opposite from the school days. Â

"Do you mind?" he asked and pointed to his pants on the chair behind her.

"Oh sorry." She moved out of the way.

She sat down on the bed and cradled her head.

"What the hell happened yesterday? Why did you end up in my bed? Do you swear we didn't…"

"Look Gra… Hermione, believe me, I wouldn't mind under other circumstances," Hermione blushed, "but I'm not into girls half-way in a coma."

"How embarrassing."

"Don't worry about it; I was half-way there with you." He gave her an honest smile and she felt a bit better.

He bent down to start to put on his socks, and some blond hair fell into his face.

"But Harry and the others think…"

"Who cares?" He frowned at her.

He kneeled in front of her and put one hand on her knee.

"We know what happened, right?"

She raised one eyebrow.

"Fair enough, we kind of know what happened," he continued, "as for Potter, he's not one to talk, now is he?"

Hermione knew Draco was right, but she still hated the whole situation. She stole another peak at his naked torso and her cheeks felt a bit hot.

He grabbed his black shirt and put it on. While he was buttoning it he looked at her, now lying in the fetal position on the bed.Â

"Are you sure you'll be all right?" he asked.

She just waved with her hand without opening her eyes. He opened the door to get her some water and bumped into Lavender Brown trying to peak inside.

"So it is true?" she gasped, "I just can't believe it!"

He just pushed her aside and went into the kitchen. He saw Ron, Luna and Ginny in the living room looking incredulously at him.

He went back to Hermione's room and placed a drink on her nightstand.Â

"You know, they say the best cure is to take another shot in the morning."

Hermione almost gagged and put a hand on her mouth, Draco let out a heartedly laugh.

Hermione carefully opened her eyes.

"That's the first time I've ever heard you laugh like that." Draco's expression grew serious again. "No," she objected," I like it."Â

He leaned down and gave her a kiss on the forehead, then without a word, he left her apartment.

--

Hermione stayed home from work on the Monday, and Luna had to force her to go on the Tuesday. She felt like her life was over. The look Harry had given her was etched into her mind. He looked so disappointed. She knew she hadn't slept with Draco, but Harry didn't know that. She knew Harry never thought he would walk into Hermione's bedroom and find her in there in bed with another man, especially Draco Malfoy.

She went into the waiting room to get another patient when she saw him there. He was leaning his elbows on his knees, looking dreamily out the window.

She took a breath and walked over to him.

"Harry," she said in barely a whisper.

He stood up quickly, so quickly that all the blood rushed to his head and he nearly lost his balance. Hermione reached out to give him support, but he quickly yanked his arm away from her.

"I'm here with work," he simply stated.

She nodded and tried to get him to meet her eyes.

"Do you want to talk?" she asked.

"Nope."

"Can't you come into to my room, for just a minute?"
He turned his head towards her and looked her straight in the eye.

"I have absolutely nothing to say to you."

Hermione had to take a step back; it was almost like he hated her.Â

"I'm sorry you feel that way." She turned on her heel and quickly walked to her room where she broke down crying.

--

As her workday was finally over two days later, she packed her bag and left her room. Yet again she found a man in the waiting room waiting for her. Draco, unlike Harry, jumped to his feet and greeted her with an enticing smile.Â

"What are you doing here, Draco?" It sounded more rude than she meant it to.Â

"I thought you might be hungry?"

"Hungry?" She wasn't falling for this.

"All right, all right. How about a drink then?" He grinned widely.Â

"Funny," she answered.

"Oh come on, just one, OK?"Â

She knew she needed to unwind a little, so she agreed. Draco took her to a very nice bar, filled with the posh people of Magic London. Large smoky fountains were placed in various places, letting the smoke cascade down on the floor covering everyone's feet. Hermione hated to admit it, but she was impressed. The maître d' gave Draco a courteous nod, he was obviously a regular, and showed them to a table.Â

"I feel very underdressed," Hermione mumbled.

Draco ignored her comment.

"Are you uncomfortable being here with me?" he asked.

She looked at him. He was leaning on one elbow, his grey eyes piercing her.


"I'm not," she simply stated and he seemed satisfied by that answer.


"So what are you drinking tonight?" he asked.

"Whatever you recommend, just as long as it's not…"

"Absinth," he finished for her, "then we should try the Apple Martini's."

--

"Tell me you're kidding?" Hermione giggled.

"No, I'm telling you, I was the one who tricked Peeves into kissing Professor Trelwaney."

"How?"

"I told him that he would get the gift of Seer!" Draco boasted.

Hermione wasn't sure how long they had been at the restaurant, but it had been quite while. They had even ordered food. Draco stole a few extra glimpses of her whenever she wasn't looking. He thought she was almost radiant tonight. He knew that she was carrying a lot on her shoulders right now, but she didn't let it show. And she was actually giving him a chance, and Draco knew how hard it was for her. He hadn't forgotten the words he had called her in school, and he knew she would never forget. He was about to take a bite when he froze.Â

Damn it, we were having such a good time, I forgot. This will ruin everything! he thought.

Hermione saw him staring and turned around to look at what had attracted his attention. She was horrified to see Harry and Cho talking to the maître d'. She turned back to her food quickly. Cho was looking beautiful in a very tight red silk dress, her black straight hair hanging over one shoulder, and her makeup flawless. Hermione felt as she guessed Ron had felt at the Yule ball in his dress-robes compared to everyone else.

Please don't see us, please don't see us! she thought.

She looked horrified at Draco and he seemed to be looking almost sorry and guilty. She closed her eyes and waited for the terror.

"Hermione!" Cho shrieked.

Hermione slowly turned around and looked at Cho dragging Harry by the hand towards their table, his face was like stone.

"Hello," Hermione croaked.

"Cho. Harry," Draco said politely.

"Well fancy meeting you two here. I left the party early so I didn't get a chance to, well witness. But I guess the rumours are true then!" Cho clapped her hands.

Hermione felt her cheeks getting red and she didn't know what she wanted more; to hit Cho, or just start bawling.

"Well, you'd better go get your table," Draco suggested trying to end this awkward situation.

"Oh my… poor George. Didn't Ron say that he was going to stop by Hermione's tonight? He'll just be heartbroken, or maybe he knows you are seeing other men?" Cho spoke in an overdramatic voice.

"Let's just go Cho," Harry mumbled as they turned and walked away.

Hermione stared down into her pasta, and therefore missed how Cho turned around and winked at Draco.

"Why do you let him bother you?" Draco broke the silence.

"He is my best friend," she answered quietly.

"Some friend!" Draco shrugged.

"You don't know him like I do; he's just not behaving like himself."

Hermione finished the rest of her Martini.

"Hey, take it easy with that, we don't want a repeat do we?"

"I don't even remember what happened…" she mumbled.

"That's probably for the best."

The rest of the evening was in fact as Draco had feared, spoiled. They hurried the rest of their dinner and then Draco took her home. George wasn't there, neither had he stopped by. Draco just figured this was another of Cho's lies.

-->