Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note I'm back!!!!! *smiles and waves* You have no idea how sorry I am about the length of time since I last posted *groans pathetically* Thankfully, my life has recently regained some semblance of normality and so I've been back at the keyboard *does happy dance!*. And as always, my grateful gratitude *grins* to my dear friend Kirsti - thank you dear!! *hugs* And now I think that's quite enough of my waffle - happy reading! Janie xoxo

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

In which Harry notices another wizard noticing Hermione and is pleased when Hermione notices another witch noticing him…and oh yes - there's that meeting at Hogwarts where some questions are answered (even a few that haven't been asked) while more are raised…and Harry and Hermione find themselves kissing again, only this time, they're seen…

When Harry and Hermione emerged from the reading alcove, it was to find two pairs of curious eyes looking at them from amongst the tottering piles of scrolls and books on the desks at which their owners were sitting. As Harry and Hermione had been arriving early each day, skipping lunch and departing late, they'd not come across Hermione's two assistants before now, who knew better than to disturb her when she was working.

`Hello,' Hermione greeted them, smiling. `Harry, this is Riley Worth,' she said, indicating the young, sandy haired wizard with warm, brown eyes sitting at one desk, `and Cady Newton,' this time indicating the raven-haired, blue-eyed young witch at the other desk. Hermione continued, `Cady, Riley, this is my friend, Harry Potter.' Which, of course, she said purely out of politeness, knowing full well that they would've recognised Harry instantly.

`Good afternoon, nice to meet you,' said Harry, with a small nod and slightly self-conscious smile.

`Nice to meet you, too!' exclaimed the pair in unison, unabashedly staring at him.

Harry turned and gave Hermione a somewhat desperate "help me" look, making her laugh.

`We're just leaving,' Hermione told her still-staring co-workers, `and there's a slim chance I won't be in tomorrow.'

`That's all right, Hermione,' said Cady, `there's nothing come in we can't handle. What about Friday then?' She was still staring fixedly at Harry, who appeared to be busy studying one of the large candelabras hanging from the vaulted ceiling.

`I'm fairly certain I'll be in then,' said Hermione, one eyebrow lifting as she watched Cady watching Harry, `but if I'm not coming in either tomorrow or Friday, I'll let you know.'

`Does Max know you may not be in?' asked Riley who, having looked his fill at Harry, turned his gaze to Hermione, unable to prevent the admiration he felt for her showing in his eyes.

Hermione gave an exasperated, albeit amused sigh, drawing Harry's eyes away from the candelabra he'd been feigning interest in. His gaze came to rest on Riley's visibly appreciative expression, giving Harry a slight jolt. He fancies Hermione!

`Riley, please refer to our boss as "Mrs Morley" - "Max" sounds disrespectful!' Hermione chided him.

With a mischievous glint in his eye, Riley shrugged one shoulder and grinned cheekily at Hermione.

Harry almost smirked. Showing off? You obviously don't know Hermione, Mr Riley Worth, he thought smugly to himself. He wasn't surprised in the least when Hermione didn't return Riley's smile and that her voice, when she replied, was cool, although not overly harsh. `I've sent a memo to Mrs Morley a short while ago so she knows what's going on.' As she turned and began to walk towards the Armarium once more, Harry fell in step beside her, daring to put his hand on her waist and smiling as they walked away, a warm feeling of triumph sweeping through him at the sight of Riley's distinctly crestfallen visage.

Once behind the towering bookshelves and out of sight of Riley and Cady, Harry said in his best nonchalantly amused voice, `Did you notice the way Riley was looking at you?'

With a delicately arched eyebrow, Hermione looked up at him, genuinely surprised. `No, I didn't notice,' she said, then with a decidedly mischievous grin curving her lips she continued, `but then you probably didn't notice the way Cady was staring at you, did you?'

`You're right, I didn't notice,' said Harry, grinning back, his heart doing a happy somersault as he wondered if Hermione realised what her comment revealed.

Once the Book of Records had been returned to the Armarium and they were making their way back, Harry made certain that he walked particularly close to Hermione as they passed Riley's desk, his hand once more resting lightly, but possessively, on her back, in the dip of her waist. So preoccupied with making sure Riley noticed, Harry missed the look of wistful longing in Cady's eyes - although Hermione didn't…

*

Hermione stepped out of the fireplace at the Nook first, and was immediately struck by a sense of unusual quiet; there was not even a welcoming rustle of feathers from Frewin, whose perch was empty. She barely had time to turn back to the fireplace when Harry stepped out of a flare of green.

`Quiet, isn't it?' he commented, looking around.

At the sound of a loud, disdainful sniff, they both looked up at the painting over the fireplace.

`Of course it's quiet,' said Verity snippily, `everyone's gone, haven't they? I expect you two will also be rushing off to Hogwarts any minute now, too busy - again - to talk, even though you've promised -'

Hermione winced. `Verity, I'm so sorry, honestly - '

`Of course you are,' retorted Verity acidly, `but not sorry enough to spend a little time letting us know what is happening.'

`Verity, dear,' said Emrys patiently, `I have already said to you that Harry and Hermione will no doubt need to be away quickly. And I'm sure -' he shot a meaningful glance at them `- they will have plenty of time when they return from Hogwarts to explain things to us.'

Harry took Hermione's hand, tugging on it gently as he took a step towards the stairs.

Hermione looked up at the old couple apologetically. `Verity, we're really sorry for all this rushing about - but Emrys is right. And honestly, we will explain everything as soon as we can.'

Verity's distinctly cool glare and scornful silence seemed to follow them as they made their way to the stairs. Neither said a word until they were inside Hermione's flat, sighing with relief as they removed their cloaks.

`I think I'd rather be waylaid by Esmerelda than Verity these days,' said Harry with a grin, making Hermione laugh.

`What do you think Verity meant by "everyone's gone"? Esmerelda's the only one who will have left since she was planning on going into Hogsmeade first, and Dean and Neville wouldn't be home from work yet,' said Hermione as she stooped to pick up Crookshanks.

Harry glanced at his watch, frowning. `It's only four and Professor McGonagall said to be there at six. I think Verity's just got her nose out of joint because she can't be at the meeting and we haven't had time to fill her in as yet.'

`You're probably right,' replied Hermione, smiling indulgently at Crookshanks who was purring ecstatically as she scratched around his ears.

`Well, since we only have a couple of hours until we leave for Hogwarts, we'd better get on with it,' sighed Harry, pushing his fingers through his unruly hair. `I'll just go and see to Hedwig; I won't be long.'

Hermione nodded in acknowledgement. `That's it for tonight, I'm afraid,' she murmured to Crookshanks as she carried him to his basket. As she straightened up after gently placing him on his bed, she continued, `Well, I suppose it's best I get your dinner while Harry checks Hedwig so we can start as soon as he gets back.'

When Harry returned a short while later, Hermione had fed Crookshanks then made some coffee and put out some cauldron cakes; she was sitting at the table, parchment, quills and ink at the ready.

Sitting down beside her and taking a sip of his coffee, Harry looked at Hermione. She looks the way I feel, he thought, a bit grim and strained.

`Feels as though we're on the brink of something pretty awful, doesn't it?' said Hermione quietly.

Putting down his coffee, Harry reached out and took one of her hands in his, giving her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

`We are, but I believe we'll come out on top in the end.' We have to believe that - we all have to believe we'll overcome this threat…

*

Minerva McGonagall had asked those attending the meeting to arrive at Hogwarts between five and half-past that afternoon. She felt it best that all necessary introductions and greetings be concluded by six o'clock, thereby ensuring the meeting could begin immediately upon Harry and Hermione's arrival.

At the request of Professor McGonagall, Hagrid had made his way to the ante-chamber off the Great Hall shortly before five o'clock, ready to greet everyone as they arrived, while she continued to work in her office and await Harry and Hermione's arrival.

Molly and Arthur were first to step out of the fireplace, quickly followed by Ginny, their three eldest sons and their wives, then Fred and George, all of whom had met up at the Burrow. Remus and Tonks were next and Hagrid had barely said hello to them, when Mad-Eye Moody emerged, his gruff greetings interrupted by the arrival of a very nervous Esmerelda. Carrying a bulging shopping bag, she immediately moved to stand with Ginny whom she knew best of everyone there, although she had met most of Ginny's family at one time or another.

`Hello, Ginevra,' said Esmerelda, looking around with a tentative smile. `Do you know who else is coming this evening?'

`Mum and Dad said the Minister was coming, as well as Kingsley Shacklebolt and Gawain Robards. I think besides them, Ron and Dean and Neville are still to come.'

Esmerelda's bright blue eyes widened. `The Minister himself?' she asked in a hushed voice.

Ginny nodded, smiling gently at her landlady's wonderment.

`Do you know what time Harry and Hermione are coming?'

Ginny felt her stomach clench at the sound of those two names. `Hagrid said they'll be here about six,' she said, striving to sound normal despite the tightness in her throat.

Esmerelda gave her a sharp glance. `Are you not well, Ginevra? You do look rather tired and a little pale.'

Ginny shrugged. `It's been a trying week,' she said and Esmerelda, apparently satisfied with this explanation, nodded in agreement.

`I'm just going to say hello to your mum and dad,' said Esmerelda and Ginny nodded in acknowledgement, watching as the sprightly witch made her way across the room to speak with Molly and Arthur. Then she looked up at the portraits lining the room, noticing that most of the paintings' occupants were snoozing happily in their frames. She wondered, for what seemed like the thousandth time that day, how she would feel when she saw Harry. And saw him with Hermione - for while Hermione may not yet have stopped thinking of Harry as simply a friend, something told Ginny that she would, sooner or later. Probably sooner, if Harry has anything to do with it. She smiled sadly to herself. I know Harry, and I know he'll do something; he wouldn't be prepared to just sit back and accept he had no chance with Hermione. A slightly bitter smile lifted the corners of her mouth. And since Harry is pretty damn hot on top of everything else, I don't think Hermione stands a chance! For a fleeting moment, Ginny thought desperately of walking to the fireplace and Flooing home to avoid having to face Harry and Hermione and hide her feelings. Enough! she chastised herself. This meeting is more important than my feelings at this moment. She unconsciously squared her shoulders and took a calming breath.

The flare of green announcing another arrival drew her gaze to the fireplace as Dean stepped into the room; he saw her immediately and smiled, waving. Hagrid remained beside the fireplace, greeting each arrival and she watched as they shook hands, both obviously delighted to see each other again. As green light flashed behind him, Dean left Hagrid to welcome the new arrival and made straight for Ginny.

`How are you?' he asked when he reached her, his voice and expression both full of concern.

`I'll be all right,' she replied with an unconvincing smile.

`Are you sure? It's not even a week since -'

`I know,' Ginny interrupted, unexpected tears filling her eyes, `and I suppose I'm not really all right. But I will be. I just need time.'

`Ginny, if you're not up to this meeting tonight, I'll take you home. We can find out from one of the others what we need to know.'

Ginny took a deep breath and swallowed her tears as she gave Dean a grateful smile. `Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to have to get used to seeing Harry and -' she bit her lip and quickly glanced away, horrified; she'd almost said, "Harry and Hermione together"! Which they weren't. Yet.

Dean naturally assumed she was upset talking about Harry and put a sympathetic arm around her shoulders. `You will get used to it, in time. But since it's so soon after - well, I just thought it might be too overwhelming. Are you absolutely certain you don't want me to take you home?'

Ginny tilted her chin determinedly as she looked up at Dean. `Absolutely. I need to be here.'

Dean dropped his arm, looking at her with admiration. `I'll stay with you,' he told her and Ginny found this rather reassuring, smiling her thanks for his support.

Just then, Ron arrived and Ginny and Dean went to join her parents and other brothers in greeting him; Luna arrived next, then Seamus and Colin. They were all so busy talking amongst themselves they didn't notice Neville arrive until he walked over and called out to them all. For a short time the serious nature of the evening was lost in the warmth and camaraderie of friends and family, broken up only when the Ministry officials began to arrive; shortly afterwards, Hagrid announced it was time to move out into the Great Hall as the Professor was due to arrive shortly with Harry and Hermione.

*

It was five minutes after six when first Hermione then Harry stepped out of the fireplace into the familiar surroundings of the Headmistress's office at Hogwarts. The Head herself was seated at her desk, quill in hand. She looked up at them, watching as they removed their cloaks; they had both changed into jeans and jumpers for the meeting, knowing it would be cooler at Hogwarts. Hermione was wearing her hair out, and she fussed a little with the long, thick curls tumbling down her back; Harry felt his fingers twitch with longing, wanting to reach out and touch the soft brown tresses.

`Miss Granger, Mr Potter - I'm so glad you're here,' said Professor McGonagall as she rose to her feet, dropping her quill back into its stand; her relief at the sight of them was evident in her voice. `I trust that you've managed to uncover more information since we last spoke, and that you'll be able to explain more fully what the current situation is?' she asked, sounding tense.

Harry and Hermione nodded. `We certainly know more than we did when we first contacted you, Professor,' said Harry, exchanging a glance with Hermione.

`Good,' said the professor briskly as she stood straight, clasping her hands in front of her, `then we can proceed to the Great Hall. I believe everyone has arrived, and they are no doubt as eager as I to hear what you have to say.'

*

Harry, Hermione and Professor McGonagall made their way down to the Great Hall, chosen as the venue for this meeting given that it would be difficult to fit thirty people comfortably in the Professor's office. Hermione commented that it was quite fortuitous this crisis had occurred during the summer holidays, ensuring the castle was virtually empty.

In the Great Hall, the High Table had been moved back away from the steps so that chairs could be placed along both sides; the four house tables stood empty under the starry ceiling. As Harry, Hermione and the Professor entered the hall, silence descended over the crowd gathered on the steps of the dais and all eyes were on them as they walked the length of the Great Hall between the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables. Hermione sought out Ron in the crowd, giving him a quick wave which he returned; she then noticed Luna standing beside him, their hands clasped, and smiled in greeting. Luna's silvery grey eyes widened and she gave Hermione a delighted smile.

`Please, everyone, take your seats,' said Professor McGonagall, her voice clearly heard in the silence which was then immediately swallowed by the sound of numerous footfalls and low murmurs as people acceded to the Professor's request.

Harry and Hermione followed the Professor around the end of the table to their seats in the centre of the side facing the empty hall; Harry sat on the Professor's right and Hermione beside him. Once seated, they were able to look around the table, nodding and smiling in greeting, Harry's throat tightening at the sight of Ginny, seated on the other side of the table towards his left; she looked drawn and pale and barely glanced at him. Hermione, too, noticed Ginny's strained expression and her heart went out to her friend.

All the Weasleys had come, Luna, Seamus and Colin returning with Ron; Dean and Neville had Flooed straight from their respective offices. It was a few seconds before Harry recognised a tall, dark-haired witch with a face as thin as the rest of her; it was Maxine Morley, the Head of Hermione's department and beside her was an over-awed Lucy Cloud, clutching a sheaf of parchment and a small, business-like quill. Harry was pleased to see Remus and Tonks as well as Kingsley Shacklebolt, now the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; he was amused by the sight of Mad-Eye Moody delivering whispered advice to the Head of the Auror Office, Gawain Robards, who'd replaced the now deceased Rufus Scrimgeour when Scrimgeour had become Minister of Magic. He saw the current Minister, Alcott Brayden, talking quietly to a very nervous looking Esmerelda and when his eyes came to rest on the person seated at the end of the table to his right, a huge grin split his face and he waved enthusiastically at Hagrid, who returned Harry's grin with an equally huge one of his own, inadvertently knocking over his goblet of pumpkin juice as he waved back.

Once everyone was seated, Professor McGonagall rose, looking in turn at each of the faces ranged around the table - some apprehensive, some expectant - and took a deep, preparatory breath.

`Good evening everyone. I would have preferred any other reason for this gathering; nevertheless, the truth is that we face a new threat to our safety and peace in our lives and those of our friends and loved ones. I'm sure you've all read the letter from Mr Potter and Miss Granger, but there is a lot more to tell you, especially after the information gathered over the last two days.' The Professor went on to describe the events culminating in the death of a Muggle they now knew to be a Mr Arnold Fuller. She read out the letter Harry had received from the self-styled "Disciples of the Dark One", explaining that during the research it engendered, a certain book had come to light and had provided a lot of information relating to the Dark One. The Headmistress finished with, `Mr Potter and Miss Granger believe - and I see no reason to disagree with them - that Voldemort was the First Disciple referred to by the Dark One and it is for the destruction of Voldemort that the Dark One seeks revenge on Mr Potter and those close to him. As for the remainder of the information gathered since we were all first alerted, I will let Mr Potter and Miss Granger explain that to you.'

Without a word being said, all eyes turned to Harry and Hermione, who had earlier agreed between themselves that Hermione would speak initially, so she stood, giving the Headmistress a nod of thanks as she did so.

`Good evening, everyone. Well, there is a story behind our acquisition of the Book of Records, the book from which we've gained as much information as we'll probably find anywhere on the Dark One. It's not really relevant how we acquired the book at this point; however, what we've learnt from this book is invaluable. I'm afraid what I have to tell you may sound suspiciously like a history lesson, and I'd appreciate it greatly if you would refrain from telling Professor Binns I'm poaching on his territory.' There were quite a few chuckles around the table at Hermione's last remark while Fred called out, `Hermione for History of Magic Professor!'

Hermione smiled at Fred before straightening and unconsciously squaring her shoulders. `All right, down to business everyone.'

Hermione then described what they knew about the workings of the Book of Records without referring to its original source or current ownership; she and Harry had agreed they'd speak to Dean in private at the first opportunity following the meeting.

She then went on to recount their first foray into the book's contents, although she could tell from the perplexed and mystified expressions on the faces around her that her story was creating countless questions, clamouring to be answered.

When she ended with the death of Cynric at the hands of the Duke of Dorset, there was a moment of utter silence. Before anyone else could break it, Hermione said, `I know you will all have many questions, but please be patient for just a little while longer. We ventured into the Book a second time and Harry will now speak to you, as it ultimately concerns a place that he alone of all us here, has seen.'

No one said anything as Harry rose to his feet, waiting until Hermione was once more seated before speaking.

Looking around at his silent, expectant audience, Harry felt a surge of unpleasant déjà vu, and for just a moment he was flung back in time to the kitchen at Grimmauld Place, the venue of many such gatherings and meetings during the war; taking a deep breath to dispel the bleak memories crowding his mind, he began to speak.

`I'm sure you are all wondering about the meaning of what Hermione has just told you; I hope it will become clearer as I go on. I don't want to waste time over fine details about our second trip; instead, I will simply explain what it was we learned from that trip. To begin with, we came to know that Edmar, Duke of Dorset, was the first "chosen one" in a long, continuing line that stretches to the current day.' Harry paused by way of acknowledging the shifting and shuffling that greeted his use of the words, "chosen one", knowing most of the Wizarding world considered they applied only to him. `It was the beginning of the evil that culminated in the wizard known as Tom Riddle - the last of the chosen ones.' Harry paused once more, this time to allow the shocked murmurings to subside.

`The Dark One that now threatens us is the remnant of that ancient evil. Its existence ensures the continuation of evil on an unprecedented level - an unacceptable level. The Dark One is the essence of evil and we believe that it must be destroyed.'

`But if Voldemort is gone, how is it this Dark One is still carrying on?' asked Fred, his expression perplexed.

`I'm just about to explain that,' replied Harry, reaching for the goblet of pumpkin juice placed on the table for him. He took a mouthful and cleared his throat before continuing. `Perhaps the best way to explain it is to say that the Dark One is an original vessel of evil - it dispensed evil through wizards it chose and when that wizard died - being a separate entity - his death did not affect the Dark One, who simply chose a new successor. The first wizard ever chosen was Edmar. I'll read you a short paragraph about him that Hermione unearthed during her research.' Harry picked reached into his pocket and pulled out a small piece of parchment which he unfolded. `Edmar of Devonshire of the Noble House of Ryedille, now Duke of Dorsetshire,' Harry read, `in this Year of Ascension to the Throne of Henry the IV of the Noble House of Lancaster, the said Edmar of Devonshire having defeated and shamed Wharton the Great, Warlock of the Defeated House of Wyllkes, gladly pays homage to the greatness and generosity of the Overlord of the Dark Realm, come to this land recently, who saw fit to elevate his humble servant, Edmar, to the exalted rank of Lord of Evil. As Lord of Evil, Edmar pledges, without reserve, his own life, and those of his minions, first and last, to the eternal service of the Overlord of the Dark Realm.'

Harry heard a long, low whistle and glanced up, although he wasn't able to see who it was.

`While the history of the Lords of Evil down through the ages is pretty fascinating, it's not really relevant to us right now, aside from the fact that as each of them was defeated or died, they passed into history as evil individuals - and consequently there was no connection made between them, so each of them was eventually lost to memory. Hermione and I were lucky enough to come across a chapter in the Book of Records written by a wizard who devoted his life to researching the source of evil: the Dark One, or, as he was originally known, the Overlord of the Dark Realm. This wizard wrote of the whereabouts of the Dark Realm, which we believe - and hope - can be reached through a place I visited once, during my sixth year here at Hogwarts. I was taken there by Professor Dumbledore. Some of you know of that visit to the cave by the sea, most of you don't. We now know that the lake within that cave is connected with the Dead River that runs through the Dark Realm. We believe it is possible to use the lake within the cave to get to the Dead River and so to the Dark Realm. Once the Dark Realm is entered, then we hope to destroy the Dark One at its source.'

`Harry, does that mean if the Dark One is destroyed, then evil itself will cease to exist?'

Harry turned to look at Ron and shook his head. `Unfortunately, no. The Dark One, we believe, is a single, specific source of evil - a magical and very powerful and potent source at that, given how long he's survived. But his destruction won't prevent bad or evil individuals from continuing to exist. Think of him as infecting the wizards he chooses - that's how he thrives and grows. When that wizard dies, he needs to find a new host to infect to ensure his survival.'

`Do you know how long it is between one of these chosen ones dying and the next one being found?' asked Neville.

Harry looked down at Hermione and said quietly, `This one's yours.'

Harry remained standing as Hermione rose to her feet beside him. She looked along the table at Neville and said, `Since the days of Edmar, it seems that a new chosen one usually emerges within a year. The length of time that has passed since Voldemort was destroyed is far longer than in any other case.'

`Why is that, do y'know?' asked Dean, looking from one to the other.

`We're not sure,' Harry told him. `We have speculated though, or rather, Hermione has speculated.' He turned and grinned at her and Hermione smiled back at him.

`I think,' began Hermione, noticing as she addressed Dean that Ginny, sitting beside him, was keeping her gaze fixed on Dean without once looking in Harry or Hermione's direction, `that perhaps the Dark One was weakened far more by Voldemort's destruction than at any other time in his existence; whether this was due to the strength of his connection with Voldemort or the magnitude of Voldemort's destruction - or perhaps both - I'm not sure. But I believe that's the best explanation for why it's been so long since the Dark One was last active - he's basically been recuperating or regenerating, if you like.'

`Hermione, if I may,' said Arthur, seated a little way down the table from Dean and Ginny, `could I ask whether you know who the Dark One's chosen one is this time round?'

Hermione shook her head as Harry said firmly, `Not yet,' then continued, `but that's our main priority.' He looked straight at Arthur, wondering whether there was any anger or bitterness towards him hidden behind his questioning countenance; Harry couldn't discern anything of that nature - Arthur appeared as he always had.

`This Arthur - Arnold? - Fuller - he was a Muggle, wasn't he?' queried Arthur. `Why was he used? Why not a wizard?'

`More speculation, I'm afraid,' Hermione told him, while she also wondered about Arthur's feelings towards Harry as she continued, `I think that although the Dark One has taken a lot longer to recover from the effects of Voldemort's destruction, he wasn't totally annihilated and so he has still managed to regenerate, for the want of a better word; it's just taken time. But he hasn't yet regained enough strength to enable him to use a wizard as yet. The mind of a wizard, being magical, would naturally be more resistant and so that's why he used a Muggle - easier prey for him with his reduced powers.'

In the thoughtful but strained silence that followed, Hermione became aware of the sound of quills scratching on parchment. She glanced towards the Ministry contingent, seated together at the other end of the table. Lucy was bent over, whispering furiously to what Hermione assumed was a Quick Quotes Quill; the Minister, seated between Kingsley and Gawain Robards was having a whispered conversation with them both while Maxine Morley, the head of Hermione's department, was looking back at her with an expression of intense concentration. Hermione was familiar with that look and knew she wouldn't get through another day at work without being called to her boss's office for an in-depth conversation.

`Any idea where these Disciples, as they call themselves, have sprung from, Hermione?' asked Mrs Morley.

Hermione shook her head. `We're not really sure about that, although Harry and I both think it highly likely that one of them will be the Dark One's next chosen one - or First Disciple as they now seem to prefer.'

`Highly likely, but not necessarily guaranteed?'

`No, not guaranteed unfortunately; that would've made our work a lot easier. As it is, those Disciples will be our starting point and we'll be needing your department's assistance, Kingsley,' finished Hermione, looking at the Head of Magical Law Enforcement, `and of course yours, Mr Robards,' she finished, moving her gaze to the Head of the Auror Office; both men nodded. Hermione then looked at Alcott Brayden and said gravely, `Minister, if you have any questions at this point, please ask; we'll do our best to answer them.'

The Minister shook his head. `I think you've both managed to cover the main points, Hermione. I'm sure everyone else here, however, is full of questions. Since I'll be able to see you and Harry at the Ministry if needs be, I think it best if you answer the questions of others here tonight and perhaps give them a little peace of mind if that's possible.'

For a few seconds, no one spoke following the Minister's words. Harry looked around the table; there were white, dismayed faces staring at them from amongst the bowed heads of those talking in furiously fast undertones to each other. Professor McGonagall rose to her feet then, drawing all eyes as she did so and an uneasy silence once more settled over the table.

`Thank you, Minister.' The Professor turned and looked at Harry and Hermione as she said, `Firstly, I'd like to propose that we all meet here again next week. This will give Mr Potter and Miss Granger time to correlate the information they've gathered, consult with the various departments, and decide on the best course to be taken. As the Minister pointed out, since they'll be working within the confines of the Ministry, it will be a simple matter to ensure the Minister and the relevant departments are kept up-to-date and informed of their progress.'

Harry and Hermione exchanged glances, Hermione nodding almost imperceptibly before Harry in turn nodded firstly in the direction of the Minister, then at the Headmistress. `We do agree that would be best,' said Harry, `so perhaps next Thursday night if that's all right with everyone?'

There was much nodding of heads and an accompanying murmur of assent from around the table.

`Then I think now is the perfect time for some light refreshments before we bombard Miss Granger and Mr Potter with questions,' announced the Headmistress and at her words, the centre of the table was instantly filled with pots of tea and coffee, jugs of milk and platters of small sandwiches and many kinds of biscuits and cakes. Hermione smiled when she realised the china plate in front of the Headmistress was full of Ginger Newts, certain its positioning wasn't a coincidence…

*

It was nearly ten o'clock before it looked as though anyone was going to leave; Harry and Hermione had answered what seemed to be an almost endless stream of questions and looked visibly tired by the time Professor McGonagall called a halt to the proceedings, declaring it was time for everyone to depart.

Harry had been relieved when Arthur and Molly had approached him and assured him they weren't about to hex him for breaking up with Ginny. Hermione had hoped that she'd be able to talk to Ginny alone, if only for a few minutes, but it proved impossible since only she and Harry could answer everyone's questions and so they were effectively kept by each other's side the whole evening.

While Ginny had found the thought of Harry and Hermione together rather painful, the actual sight of them, side by side, totally at ease in each other's company with their rapport quite obvious for all to see, was even more so. Hermione did notice that Dean didn't leave Ginny's side all night and was glad that her friend had that support. She did manage to catch Ginny's eye on a number of occasions and smiled in what she hoped was an encouraging and sympathetic manner each time.

Hermione also couldn't help but notice that Lucy, once her official duties were over, had made a point of singling out Neville and speaking to him. To Hermione's amusement, he looked rather flustered by this unexpected attention.

After Professor McGonagall had announced the evening was done, Hermione and Harry took their leave of everyone as quickly as possible without appearing rude and Flooed home.

As they stepped out of the fireplace at the Nook, Hermione noticed Frewin was once more on his perch, asleep with his head under his wing. They also found Verity and Emrys snoring softly in their rocking chairs, for which they were very grateful.

As they made their way upstairs, they both began to yawn, and when Hermione told Harry that she had hoped they'd have time to talk over the night before going to bed, he suggested with a tired smile that it would be best to wait until tomorrow.

`I'll be ready by seven and I'll come over for breakfast. We can talk then,' he told her and Hermione nodded in agreement.

When they reached Hermione's flat, she turned and leant back against the wall beside her door, her head dropping back as she smiled wearily up at Harry.

`If I wasn't so tired, I think another one of those lovely baths you ran for me the other night would be wonderful right now.' Stifling a yawn, Hermione continued, `But I'm afraid I'd fall sleep in it!'

Harry lifted his left hand so that it was resting on the wall beside Hermione's head, his other hand brushing her cheek in a brief, gentle caress. `I promise I'll do that for you again as soon as possible,' he told her, his voice low and tender.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat - the look in Harry's eyes and the huskiness in his voice combined with his soft touch, immediately altered the atmosphere between them, electrifying it. Suddenly, the work, worries and cares of the last couple of days seemed to vanish and Hermione felt her heart begin to race as she gazed into Harry's eyes. Harry raised his right hand once more, but instead of a fleeting caress, his fingers now curved around the side of her neck, his thumb gently rubbing back and forth across the line of her cheekbone, sending unexpected, but highly delightful sensations coursing through Hermione's body.

Hermione thought she may have stopped breathing as Harry's head began to drop closer, and closer - and just as she could feel the delicious warmth of his breath on her lips, a tiny moan of anticipation escaped her which had a galvanising effect on Harry; he closed his mouth swiftly and firmly over hers as he pressed against her, his hand dropping from the wall so that he was cupping her face, preventing her from escaping the kiss - not that Hermione had any thought of doing that. On the contrary, the second Harry's lips had come into contact with hers, she'd instinctively wrapped her arms around him. They were both so caught up in their kiss that they didn't hear the footsteps on the stairs and so it was that Dean and Neville, intending to invite them down for coffee, stopped and stared, open-mouthed, at the entwined couple, lost in what was obviously a very passionate kiss…

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

I've actually finished the next two chapters and the Eighth Interlude, but they need "revision, polishing and Kirsti-fying" - so I'm hoping *fingers crossed* to post at least weekly from now on. So if all goes well, I'll "see" you next Thursday! Cheers dears, Janie xoxo

-->