Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note

Hi everyone! I won't say anything about "Deathly Hallows" here, but if anyone comments in a review, I'll certainly reply - so if you haven't yet finished - or read - the book, don't look at the reviews! Cheers! Janie xoxo

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

CHAPTER SEVEN

In which Ron and Luna snog in public, Harry disappears, Ginny panics, Hermione writes a note and Harry harasses Ron at four a.m. in the morning…

Ron sat, open-mouthed, staring at Luna across the table.

`You did that?'

`I'm not proud of it,' said Luna softly, `and I won't blame you if you never want to see me again.'

Ron was stunned. Then he burst out laughing, causing Luna to now be the one sitting open-mouthed and staring across the table.

Ron reached out, holding his hands open in silent invitation; Luna looked from his hands to his face and tentatively brought her hands up and placed them in Ron's, her eyes questioning.

`You still behaved quite honourably, you never crossed the line and I'm as flattered as hell!'

`You mean that? Really?' Luna asked breathlessly, her usually misty eyes shining.

Ron nodded, still grinning. `Mind you, I might have to have a quiet word with Seamus.'

Luna laughed and Ron found himself joining her, his heart light once more. He stood up, leaning forward so that he didn't have to let go of Luna's hands, pulled her gently to her feet and without caring about the stares and smirks of their fellow diners, he drew her to him for their first real kiss.

*

Hermione woke with a start, wondering why her alarm hadn't gone off. Then she realised it was Saturday. She smiled, yawning as she stretched, then chuckling when she heard Crookshanks' plaintive miaow as her feet came up against his warm bulk, waking him up. He sometimes chose to forego the comforts of his basket to sleep on the end of Hermione's bed, as he'd often done whilst she was at Hogwarts. Hermione then rolled on to her side so that she could look out the window. She loved the view of the old white willow through her window, its pale leaves moving ever-so-slightly in a gentle morning breeze. She could see a clear, early morning sky through the branches and decided that later she'd pack herself a picnic lunch, along with her current book, and take a walk along the stream and through the woods. A lovely day, a little solitude and some reading. Perfect.

Pleasant visions of herself enjoying all this were rudely interrupted by Ginny's voice echoing down the hallway, calling her name. Because there was a strident note of fear in her friend's voice, Hermione sat up quickly and threw off the covers; she was just pulling on her powder blue dressing gown when Ginny burst into the room.

`Hermione, Harry's gone!'

Hermione stopped in the act of tying her belt, and stared at Ginny who was standing in the doorway, dressed in jeans and a pale yellow top, her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

`What do you mean, gone?'

`We arranged last week to go up to Diagon Alley early this morning. I just went over to Harry's and he's not there!'

Hermione sat down and patted the bed beside her. `Come and sit down, Ginny.' Once Ginny was seated, Hermione continued, `Why are you so worked up? Harry's probably just down in the laundry or perhaps gone up the street to buy something.'

Ginny shook her head and Hermione could see fear in her eyes. `You don't understand; the door was open - he always locks it before he goes to bed - so that meant he was up and I went in, expecting to see him but -' Ginny paused and took a deep breath.

Hermione was beginning to feel worried as well; Ginny was right, Harry always locked his door and if it was open it had to be because he was up. Hermione reached out and took Ginny's hands in hers in a comforting gesture. `Go on,' she encouraged her, feeling Ginny squeeze her hands in appreciation.

`Right. The first thing I saw was a bottle of Ogden's and a glass on the table. It was nearly empty.'

Hermione's eyebrows shot up when she heard this. They'd never known Harry to be a big drinker.

`I was a bit puzzled,' Ginny continued, then shrugged as she said, `but, well - I suppose everyone does that at some time, although it's not like Harry at all. Anyway, I thought he'd probably still be asleep if he'd drunk all that whisky, so I went into his bedroom. His bed was still made.'

`What about the bathroom? Maybe -' began Hermione.

Ginny shook her head. `No, he wasn't there either - or in Ron's room or anywhere! Then I checked that special cupboard in his room where he keeps his broom. His broom's gone.'

Hermione stared at Ginny. If Harry's broom wasn't there, neither was Harry.

Hermione let go of Ginny's hands and sprang to her feet, Ginny following suit. Hermione went to her cupboard and pulled out some jeans and a shirt. `I'll get dressed and we'll go back and check Harry's again, all right?'

Ginny nodded. `I'll wait for you over there.'

A couple of minutes later Hermione walked through the open door of Harry's flat to see Ginny standing by the table, her fingertips resting on the glass top as she gazed down at the bottle and glass - as though she was trying to glean from them what they'd witnessed during the night.

Ginny turned the instant Hermione walked in, watching as Hermione's gaze swept the room from the living area on her left, past Ginny and the kitchen table, and to the kitchen itself. Nothing was out of place and she allowed herself a tiny smile. Only because Ron's not here, she thought. Then she noticed Hedwig sitting silently on her perch near the kitchen window, gazing at them. Of course!

`Ginny, we'll send Hedwig to Harry with a note.'

Ginny smiled with relief. `Why didn't I think of that? I suppose I was just too scared and worried!'

Hermione walked quickly around the kitchen bench to where Harry and Ron kept spare parchment and quills on a shelf against the back wall.

`What should we say?' she asked Ginny.

`I don't know,' said Ginny, still sounding anxious. `Maybe just, "where are you, are you all right?"'

Hermione nodded and wrote in her small, neat script, Dear Harry, Would you please send a note back with Hedwig to let us know that you're all right? Ginny was very surprised and is extremely worried about not finding you at home this morning (as you were supposed to be going to Diagon Alley). Hermione.

Hedwig watched calmly as Hermione tied the small rolled parchment to her leg. `Find Harry, Hedwig, and don't leave him until he's written a reply, please.' Hedwig blinked once as if nodding, then flew to the ledge of the window overlooking the side garden; it opened as soon as Hedwig's feet touched the ledge and she flew out, leaving the window to shut behind her. Ginny and Hermione both moved to the window to watch the beautiful, snowy owl fly away.

`Now we wait,' said Hermione.

*

`I'm just going to check again,' said Ginny, jumping up from the couch and heading for Harry's flat. She came back within a minute.

`Hedwig's still not back,' she said glumly, dropping on to the end of the couch once more, pushing aside the magazine she'd been reading. She sat with her head resting against the back of the couch, her eyes closed. Hermione, her book open in her lap, looked at Ginny from the other end of the couch and knew the tension in her friend's face was mirrored in her own.

Hermione was at a loss to understand what could possibly have driven Harry to drink by himself the previous night and then leave without giving any indication of where he was going or why. She'd explained how she and Harry had eaten some dinner and about their discussion concerning the injured auror, as well as the strange events surrounding his attacker. While she didn't specifically make any mention of the "Dark One" or the drunken wizard's dreams, Hermione went on to tell Ginny how she and Harry had gone for a walk, meeting the Mallums on the way, who'd pointed them in the direction of the fair.

Although Hermione omitted any mention of the discussion she'd had with Harry about Dean's feelings for Ginny, she did tell Ginny about Harry's strange reactions when they'd had some coffee at the fair.

`Everything was perfectly fine, then he just suddenly seemed to be somewhere else altogether,' she'd said over their umpteenth cup of tea. `I can't remember anything that would've made him so - well, really, he was a bit weird for a minute or two. I asked him what was wrong, but,' she shrugged expressively, `you know Harry. If he doesn't want to say, he doesn't. We walked home and he still seemed really preoccupied, even when we said goodnight. He was sort of staring into space. But for the life of me Ginny, I can't think of anything that happened at the fair that might've distracted him like that. I simply can't imagine what's wrong!'

Ginny had listened intently while Hermione explained all this and shook her head in bewilderment at the conclusion. `It just doesn't make any sense!' she exclaimed.

`Are you absolutely certain you can't think of any reason he'd drink himself so stupid he'd actually fly off somewhere in the middle of the night?'

Ginny began to shake her head, then stopped and looked at Hermione, a puzzled frown in place.

`What is it? Have you thought of something?' asked Hermione.

`It's just a feeling - not something I can really put my finger on,' said Ginny, pulling her knees up so that her feet were resting on the edge of the couch and wrapping her arms around them, `but when I think back, Harry has been, well - I'm not sure what to call it - distracted perhaps? Preoccupied? Just - different, and he's been that way for a few weeks now, although I don't know if it's anything to do with what happened last night. And I suppose I've been so preoccupied myself I didn't notice.'

`With work,' stated Hermione, and for some reason Ginny's conversations with Dean about her work crossed her mind and she wondered if she dared to broach the subject of Dean with Ginny.

Ginny nodded.

Hermione decided she was curious enough to try and find out if there was anything to Harry's supposition. `Well, since Dean's in publishing, too - has it helped talking to him?' she asked.

Ginny nodded again and smiled at Hermione. `He's been a great help actually, and he's really easy to talk to.'

`Harry doesn't mind?' Hermione felt her stomach clench with tension and wondered if she hadn't gone too far.

Ginny's eyes widened in surprise. `Well, no, I mean, why would he? He's not said anything to me - has he said something to you?'

Hermione bit her lip and looked down at her book, fiddling with the bookmark whilst she considered what answer she should give.

Ginny sighed. She could tell by Hermione's reaction that Harry had said something. Hermione looked up and, having decided that honesty was the best policy, said, `He has, but just that he's noticed Dean seems to be still - well, he thinks there's a chance that he's not over you, from when we were at school.'

Ginny's jaw dropped. `Are you serious?' she exclaimed. Then she shook her head and said firmly, `Nonsense.'

Hermione shrugged. `Who's to say?' Then, deciding a distraction was in order, she asked Ginny how things had gone with Blakely the previous evening. Ginny shuddered. `I really just don't like that man! We went to the Burning Broomstick for drinks after work, and you're not going to believe what happened a bit later. Oscar -'

`Oscar?' interjected Hermione.

Ginny rolled her eyes. `I was making an effort and we agreed we'd not call each other Blockley and Weasally.'

Hermione shook her head in disbelief. `Ginny, you sound like two school children calling names!'

`That's the effect we have on each other!' Ginny cried. `It's terrible - and stupid! Anyway, Oscar and I had agreed that we'd have a trial period of a month after Ida leaves at the end of next week, and that we would both do our utmost to be civil and polite, etcetera.' Ginny sighed. `I hope it works because I really love my job and that magazine!'

`Oh, Ginny, I hope it does work out for you!'

`That's not the end of it, though. You're not going to believe who turned up towards the end!'

`Who?' asked Hermione, mystified. `I can't even begin to imagine.'

`Draco Malfoy,' announced Ginny triumphantly, knowing it would shock Hermione.

Hermione was very shocked. `What?!'

`Can you believe it? Apparently he's an acquaintance of Oscar's. Mind you, Oscar introduced him as Malcolm Rafferty so I don't know whether he's aware of his true identity.'

`Are you serious, Ginny? You're sure it was actually Draco Malfoy?'

`Oh, yes. Even though he's made his hair black, he's still recognisable - you'd recognise him, too.'

`I thought Malfoy was a wanted wizard, a Death Eater!' said Hermione.

`He probably still is, but Malcolm Rafferty isn't.'

`Did he say anything? Do you know what he was doing there?' asked Hermione, wide-eyed.

`He was his usual creepy, snotty self, although he had a rather wild look in his eyes. He didn't recognise me at first and actually had the gall to make some snide comment about how pretty I was. You should've seen the look on his face when Oscar introduced me - he did a double take and suddenly looked sick. I made sure he knew I recognised him, too.'

`Did he stay?'

Ginny shook her head and grinned. `Oh no, he wouldn't sit down with a blood traitor like me!'

Hermione told Ginny she would check up on Malfoy's status with the Department of Magical Law Enforcement first thing Monday morning.

`Good!' said Ginny. `Let me know what you find, if you don't mind. I'd like to see the look on the face of the Dark One if one of his disciples gets chucked into Azkaban!'

Hermione gasped. `What did you say?' she whispered, staring at Ginny.

Ginny faltered. `What do you mean, Hermione?'

Hermione scrambled up the couch, disregarding her book which fell to the floor, and grasped Ginny's wrist.

`Ginny,' she said urgently, `where did you hear about the Dark One? Was it Malfoy?'

`Hermione, you're scaring me,' said Ginny, her face white. `Malfoy just made one of his superior, nasty comments after Oscar told him my name. He said something to the effect that disciples of the Dark One didn't associate with lousy blood traitors. Oscar looked shocked but I thought it was probably best not to explain who Malfoy really was and that I'd been at Hogwarts with him. Why?'

Hermione sank back, releasing Ginny's wrist.

`Hermione, what's wrong?' asked Ginny, worried by her friend's reaction.

Hermione looked steadily at Ginny. `You remember what I told you about that Auror, Cleaver, being attacked by some old spell?' Ginny nodded. `The wizard that attacked him - I don't know his name - was mentally attacked by someone or something he calls the Dark One. He's now a gibbering, drunken idiot. It just seems too much of a coincidence for that name to turn up in connection with Malfoy as well.'

Ginny stared at Hermione, speechless.

`Ginny, why would Malfoy be talking about the Dark One? And what if what happened to Cleaver's attacker happens to Malfoy and somehow Blakely gets involved since he knows him?' She gave Ginny an extremely worried look. `Just to be safe, I think you should keep your distance from Blakely, Ginny, as much as you can, at any rate, until we know for sure what's going on.'

*

Ron pushed aside his resentment at having his sleep interrupted because this was, after all, Harry Potter - his best friend. It wasn't easy though, considering it was four a.m. and he quickly realised Harry wasn't himself, to say the least…the very least.

`Harry, what the -?' he'd stammered when he was rudely awoken by an unsteady Harry, who was speaking, but sounding quite unintelligible.

`Ron, Ron, 'sa disaster. Dreadful. Awf'l. Dunno what t'do.'

`Harry, you - you smell! You're drunk! What the hell's the matter with you? And how did you find me?'

`Your sched - sched - your list - the kitchen at home - hotels.' Harry hiccoughed. `Don' love Ginny,' he said sorrowfully. `Nope. Not any more. D'saster. Catas - catas - tro-pee. Dunno what t'do.'

Ron pushed the covers off and swung his long legs over the side of the bed, then rubbed his eyes. He took another look. Yep. It was Harry, leaning over with his two hands on the end of his, Ron's bed, to steady himself. He was looking blearily at Ron through his spectacles, his hair even messier than usual - if that was possible.

`Harry, what the bloody hell are you going on about?'

Harry fell to his knees beside the bed and let his head drop to rest on the bed. `My life is in ruins.'

Ron stood and moved to grasp Harry's shoulders, pulling him back to his feet and slinging Harry's arm across his shoulders to keep him upright.

`Harry, mate, nothing is ever that bad, c'mon,' said Ron consolingly as he slowly walked Harry towards the armchairs in the corner of his room.

`Shows y'know fuck all.'

`Harry!' exclaimed Ron, genuinely surprised; Harry virtually never swore.

`Sorry,' mumbled Harry. `Drank too much bloody Ogden's.' Harry squinted at Ron, trying to focus.

`And it shows, mate,' said Ron sardonically. `Come on, you need coffee - I don't have anything else handy that will help. And no! Don't you even think about it Harry!' admonished Ron as Harry lifted his free hand. `You are not conjuring coffee or anything else in your state!'

Harry dropped his hand and nodded sadly. `Okay.' Then he hiccoughed. `'Scuse me. All ol' Ogden's fault.'

`Yeah, he just made you drink that much, didn't he?'

As Ron helped Harry to one of the two armchairs, he noticed Harry's broom leaning against the wall beside the window. He turned and stared at Harry. `Harry, tell me you didn't fly here.'

`I didn' fly here.'

Ron helped Harry sit down and stood with his hands on his hips frowning at his friend.

`You flew here, didn't you?'

Harry blinked at him, running his fingers through his hair. `Y'said to tell you I didn' fly here.'

Ron rolled his eyes and turned to the small nearby counter that had a gas ring and kettle.

`Bloody hell, Harry, you could've easily fallen off your broom in your state!' he said, thoroughly exasperated with his friend.

`Didn' though, did I? I mean, I'm here…'

Spooning some coffee into two mugs, Ron shook his head in amazement. `It's a bloody miracle is all I can say.'

A short while later Ron was seated in the second armchair and he and Harry were sipping strong, hot coffee.

`So, Harry, spill it - no, not the coffee! Careful, mate! So, what's brought you to Holyhead at his hour of the night in this drunken state? You were muttering something about Ginny?'

Harry, his head feeling slightly clearer than it had when he'd on arrival, peered at his best friend and tried his hardest to think of a good answer. In the end, though, he found he just couldn't think straight and shrugged apologetically. `Didn' know who else I could go to,' he mumbled mournfully. `You're my best mate…'

Ron sighed. `Harry, you need to finish that coffee, I'll go and organise a room for you so you can go to bed and sleep - for a long time. And tomorrow, when you're sober, you talk, and I'll listen.'

Harry nodded obediently, then carefully lined his cup up with his mouth and drank.

*

Harry woke far earlier the next morning than he would have liked, given his condition, thanks to Hedwig's insistent pecks and piercing hoots.

He initially tried to wave away the annoying sounds and bites, but Hedwig was also concerned about her master and not about to give up.

When Harry finally opened his eyes and pushed himself upright, it was to see a very blurry Hedwig sitting on the bedside table looking at him reproachfully.

`Sweet Mother of Merlin,' he groaned, `my head feels like it's spent a week being used as a Quaffle.'

Hedwig did manage to give a slightly sympathetic hoot but held her foot out in a very determined manner, nonetheless.

Harry groped feebly for his glasses and once on, he noticed they really needed cleaning and that Hedwig had a scroll attached to her leg. Deciding it was probably wiser to read the scroll first and clean his glasses later, Harry removed it, automatically looking around for some refreshments for Hedwig.

`Not much here I'm afraid Hedwig,' he muttered. `Try reception, they'll have some water and treats.'

Hedwig, however, didn't move so much as a feather.

`Fine,' grunted Harry, as he sat up on the edge of the bed and unrolled the small note.

Dear Harry, Would you please send a note back with Hedwig to let us know that you're all right? Ginny was very surprised and is extremely worried about not finding you at home this morning (as you were supposed to be going to Diagon Alley). Hermione.

Harry groaned. Crap! He'd been so distressed and he hadn't been in any condition to give a single thought to Ginny or the consequences of taking off the way he did. Double crap!

Hedwig gave him a mostly friendly peck on the finger. `And I suppose Hermione gave you orders not to leave without a reply?' he said sourly, looking at his owl who stared straight back. `I thought so,' he muttered.

He looked around the room and saw a quill on a small writing desk in the corner. I came here to see Ron, he remembered. I must be in his hotel. Wait, he got me a room…after coffee; it's coming back to me. He walked somewhat unsteadily across the room and took a seat at the desk, glancing at the rolls of blank parchment provided with "Prince of Wales Wizard Hotel" printed across the top. After a last look at Hermione's note, he dipped the quill into the inkpot and scrawled, Dear Hermione (oh, how very dear!) and Ginny (I'm so horribly sorry Ginny, it's not your fault!) I'm with Ron in Holyhead, Wales. I'm sorry I left no note - it was a last minute decision. I'm perfectly all right (oh what a lie!) but I'm not sure when I'll be home (at least that was true) - I'll let you know. Please forgive me - I forgot about Diagon Alley. Love, Harry.

He re-rolled the piece of parchment and affixed it to Hedwig's leg while she watched him with what he was sure was approval for replying so quickly.

`Back to Hermione, Hedwig,' he said, carrying her to the window and opening it with a wave of his hand. `Give her my love, will you?' he whispered as Hedwig took flight. As he watched his faithful owl soar into the air on her way back to Hermione, Harry had the peculiar sensation of simultaneously feeling as though he'd always loved Hermione and yet being aware of it as a newly discovered emotion.

After he could no longer see Hedwig, Harry turned his back to the window and ran his fingers through his hair.

Dear Merlin, what did I say to Ron? What did I tell him? I can't remember! And what am I going to tell him? Certainly not that I love Hermione! Harry groaned. He wasn't sure which was the better situation: being here with Ron or waking up at home. Then he thought of facing Hermione so soon after his revelation and decided being with Ron was definitely the less stressful of the two scenarios.

He stumbled into the shower and stayed there for nearly half an hour. When he emerged, he felt much better (and Ron would've vouched for him smelling better) but he was no closer to knowing what he should do. Or not do. As he pulled on his jeans, he felt something in the back pocket and when he checked, he pulled out a miniature stuffed toy dog. He lifted his hand to eye level, the tiny dog sitting on his flattened palm. He smiled at the happy memories it evoked of the previous evening spent with Hermione before putting it in his shirt pocket for safekeeping.

He then conjured a cup of coffee and sat on the single armchair provided in the room, gazing out the window. Hermione. It hurt like hell to think of her and yet it made his heart sing at the same time. How bloody ridiculous can things be? he wondered. The day before yesterday I would have laughed at anyone who told me I'd fallen in love with Hermione. The day before yesterday, I thought I still loved Ginny. And today? Today my life is upside down. Or is it actually now right-side up? He laughed, but there was no mirth in it. Hermione. How strange and yet how normal that your name sounds so sweet and the thought of you makes me smile! Well, you could always make me smile, but now…despite the prospect of never being able to tell you I love you or of ever being able to hold you as I'd like, I somehow feel complete and that should feel strange, but it doesn't. Just sitting here thinking about you makes me feel so good! And happy. And, oh yeah…he glanced down, laughing ruefully...let's not forget that kind of happy, as well, Potter. Bloody wonderful.

He finished his coffee and decided that despite the totally lousy feeling in his head, he'd go and find Ron and have breakfast with him and tell him…what? That I no longer love his little sister. I can do that. But I won't tell him that while I've stopped loving Ginny, I've discovered that the woman I do love is Hermione…

Which was probably a wise decision at this point in time, to say the least.

TO BE CONTINUED…

-->