Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note

Hi everyone! Well, this is the last chapter I'll be posting before Book 7 - I'm excited, anxious and nervous all at once!

This chapter has a lovely, sweet Harry/Hermione scene at the Burrow - I hope you all enjoy it! There won't be any more Interludes for a little while, but since I finished the Seventh Interlude only the other day, there are still plenty more to come!

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

CHAPTER FIVE

In which a wonderful lunch is enjoyed at the Burrow, Hermione cheers Harry up, Ginny tells her parents about Ron and Hermione and Fred and George declare their innocence against charges of intended pudding thievery…

Harry woke slowly the next morning knowing he'd had a good sleep because he felt totally refreshed. And because his bedside clock read just after ten a.m. Now that's a sleep in, he thought, grinning, as he stretched.

Then he remembered Neville and Hermione had gone for a walk the previous night. He groaned and for some reason, it took the shine off his morning. Bloody hell! Not again! he thought. I don't care about Neville and Hermione! I don't care about whether all they did was walk or - or whatever… It must be my saving people thing as Hermione calls it. It's kicking in because - because I want to save her. From what? Making another mistake? That's it - she could be doing this on the rebound and that's always a mistake I've heard. Even though Hermione's smart enough to realise that before things go too far…

Happy with this explanation, Harry quickly left his bed and had a shower before walking across the hall, knowing Esmerelda wouldn't be out and about since it was Sunday so he didn't need to Floo.

Harry also knew the door would be open because Hermione and Ginny would be up by now, so he knocked, then turned the handle and stepped inside.

He looked from the kitchen to the other end of the living room - no one. No Ginny sitting at the table with a cuppa and a magazine, no Hermione on the couch, reading, Crookshanks curled up beside her.

`Hello?' he called tentatively, wondering where they were.

`Harry?' Ginny's voice came from down the hall to his left, from the direction of her room. `I'll be out in a minute!'

Harry called out an acknowledgement, then headed for the kitchen to put the kettle on.

Hermione must still be in bed, he thought, surprised, as he pulled mugs and sugar from the cupboard.

Five minutes later Ginny joined him at the kitchen bench, her hair still damp from the shower. Settling herself on the stool beside Harry, Ginny smiled at him and he leant across and kissed her lightly.

`Morning pretty lady,' he said, smiling. `So, what shall we do today?'

`Would you mind if we visited Mum and Dad? I'm afraid I've been neglecting them - I haven't been to see them since Fred and George's birthday and Mum's always reminding me that owls just aren't a good substitute for a visit.'

`Mind? Having one of your mum's Sunday lunches out in the garden? Never!'

Ginny smiled happily as she jumped up and walked around into the kitchen, pulling out a drawer. `Great! I'll just send Pigwidgeon off with a note for Mum to let her know; she'll be really pleased.'

`What about Hermione? She'll want to come, too, won't she?' asked Harry, his elbow resting on the bench, his mug of tea in his raised hand.

`Not sure - she and Neville left a little while ago. He took her off to some new wizard café for morning tea.'

Harry was struck dumb and almost dropped his mug.

Ginny rummaged in the drawer for some parchment and a quill, saying as she did so, `I'll tell Mum there's a chance Hermione will be coming too, though.' Harry heard the familiar sound of quill on parchment.

`And I suppose we should ask Neville, too, what d'you think?' It took a few seconds for the question to register. Harry blinked rapidly a few times before focusing on the top of Ginny's bent head - she was still writing.

`What did you say?' he asked, his luckily half-empty mug of tea hanging at an angle from his hand.

`Neville - we should ask him too, don't you think?'

`Neville. Yes. Neville, too.'

While Ginny finished writing to her mother, Harry sat, stunned, his tea ignored.

Morning tea? Why the hell are they having morning tea together? Why the hell am I so shocked? What in Hades is Neville doing? What is Hermione doing? What am I doing?! He groaned, causing Ginny to glance up at him as she finished folding her letter.

`What's wrong?' she asked, walking over to Pigwidgeon who began hooting wildly with excitement as she tied the parchment to his tiny leg.

`I don't know,' said Harry honestly. `I think I'm having trouble getting my head around Neville and Hermione and it's only just stopped spinning from Ron and Hermione going back to being friends!'

`Well, I wouldn't say there's any "Neville and Hermione" just yet,' admonished Ginny as she carried Pigwidgeon to the chimney. `Neville wanted to discuss something with Hermione, something to do with some rare herb and her research. It's not really a date, or anything.'

`Crap.'

`Harry!'

`Sorry. It's just that I know Neville fancies Hermione - he has an agenda. This is no mere research discussion, trust me, Ginny. It's an excuse. He's on a mission.'

`Well, so what if he is?' asked Ginny as she returned to sit beside Harry, Pigwidgeon having taken off up the chimney like a bat out of hell, he was so anxious to perform his duties. `Hermione could do far worse than Neville. Which reminds me, I promised Ron I'd owl Mum about him and Hermione, but I'll just tell her when we get there today. I said we'd be there about noon, if that's all right.'

`S'fine,' mumbled Harry, feeling uncharacteristically grouchy.

*

It was a glorious summer afternoon as the Weasley family and their guests sat outside enjoying the wonderful lunch prepared by a very happy Molly Weasley; it was the first time in some months that so many family members were present, Ron being the only one absent. Hermione was sitting between Neville and Harry, a little bewildered by Harry's rather brusque manner all through lunch. On the other hand, Neville couldn't have been more considerate or happy.

While they were waiting for their lunch to settle before Mrs Weasley foisted dessert upon their very full stomachs, Hermione took advantage of Neville being engaged deep in conversation with Charlie on his other side about the effects on dragons of various herbs and the like and turned to Harry. Having ignored Ginny's attempts to engage him in her conversation with Fleur, Harry was staring morosely over at the curious garden gnomes peeking out from their holes; his hand was resting on the table, his fingers clasped around a glass of Ogden's. Hermione put her hand gently on his forearm to get his attention. `Harry,' she said quietly, `what's wrong? You seem rather cross this afternoon. What's the matter? Anything I can help you with?'

Harry's grip on his glass tightened and he closed his eyes and shook his head. He still didn't understand what was behind the turmoil that had been with him all day, threatening to utterly destroy any enjoyment he might glean from this wonderful afternoon - and that in itself was adding to his bad mood.

Hermione was concerned, unsure of what could possibly be bothering Harry. She leant a little closer and asked quietly, `Come for a walk with me, all right?'

Suddenly, the idea of being away from all the noisome chaos of the Weasley lunch table was very attractive and Harry nodded briefly, lifting his chair back as he stood up.

Ginny turned and looked up at Harry, but before she could say anything, Harry muttered, `I'm going for a walk,' and strode off across the yard towards the woods on the other side of the small lake. Since Harry had been quite grumpy all morning despite her attempts to cheer him up, Ginny was feeling rather fed up and had no inclination to follow him. Hermione quickly stood up and as the gazes of everyone around the table moved from Harry's retreating back to Hermione, she said, `I'll just make sure he's all right.' She looked at Ginny then, a question in her eyes. Ginny nodded. `You go,' she said. `I give up - he's been grouchy all morning. He usually always listens to you.'

The hum of conversation resumed behind her as Hermione walked hurriedly in Harry's direction; she could see his jean and t-shirt clad figure striding around the side of the lake. She caught up with him a minute or so later - he was sitting beneath a huge old hornbeam tree, his arms resting on his bent knees. He looked up at Hermione as she approached, a wry, lopsided grin in place. Hermione sat down beside him, thankful she'd also worn jeans that day, and found a comfortable spot on the gnarled old trunk to lean against.

`Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?' queried Hermione.

`No, I actually woke up feeling perfectly happy.'

`What happened then?'

`Well…' Harry paused and sighed deeply. What happened? he thought to himself. What happened was that you appear to be taking up with Neville and I think you're making a mistake. But can I tell you that without risking a telling off? What the hell - if I get it off my chest I might feel better. `I've been worried about you and - '

`Oh, Harry!' cried Hermione softly, `you don't need to worry anymore - things are fine with Ron and me now, you know that.'

`I'm not worried about you and Ron. It's Neville.'

`Neville?'

`I think you're making a mistake.'

Hermione sighed. `Harry, what are you talking about?'

`You taking up with Neville. I think it's too soon after you and Ron splitting up.'

Hermione was completely nonplussed. `Taking up with Neville? Harry, I'm not taking up with Neville at all! Whatever gave you that idea?'

Harry frowned at her. `Going for a walk with him last night. And out to some cafe this morning. Sitting next to him at lunch and talking and laughing with him.'

Hermione gaped at Harry. She was speechless.

`Well?' said Harry curtly. `Don't you think it's a bit soon?'

Hermione tried to find words to answer him, but she was still too dumbfounded.

Harry on the other hand seemed to have breached some internal wall that had been damming up the torrent of words that now poured forth.

`It's just that it's been really hard with you and Ron splitting up. I mean I didn't even realise until that night you told us about Luna at Hogwarts and everything that I've always counted on the four of us always being the way we were. But now everything's changed and somehow it's been hard to get used to it all. Then Ginny tells me about the problems she's having with that bloke at work and that was okay, I was happy to listen to her and so forth but now I feel guilty because I told her this morning she should just bloody well leave and stop complaining about him. And Dean's moved in, which is fine, except that I think he still fancies Ginny and the weird part is I don't even care. My best mate has gone off for a couple of months of so-called work that's going to be brilliant fun and then my other best friend - you - start acting as though you're interested in Neville of all people, not that I don't like him, he's a great bloke, but, well, you just need to be careful. He does fancy you, after all, and you might hurt him and I think you should just not go out with him…' Harry's voice trailed off and he managed to look as surprised as Hermione at his outburst.

As comprehension dawned in Hermione's eyes, she smiled and Harry groaned, hanging his head.

`Feel better?' asked Hermione, patting his arm in a comforting gesture.

Harry turned and looked at her, his green eyes filled with remorse. `I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that.'

Hermione rolled her eyes, smiling at him. `Harry, what are friends for? You can talk to me anytime, you know that! And it seems as though you should do it a little more regularly, before things get so backed up! Now, to put your mind at rest, I'm not taking up with Neville, honestly! For some reason, last night when he asked me to go for a walk, it all got a bit awkward so I just said yes to get past that. We walked down to the stream and sat and talked. He's a lovely, interesting man and I've always enjoyed talking to him. Then, this morning -'

`But I'm positive he fancies you and -' interrupted Harry.

`Harry!' Hermione chided him. `Even if he does, he's not said a word and if he ever does, I'll worry about it then. Now, this morning, he just wanted to ask me about my department's work on the magical properties of a particular plant we've researched thoroughly because he's interested in trying to develop a new potion with it. As for laughing and talking with him -' Hermione nudged him `- I tried hard to do the same with you but you wouldn't be in it, as I recall.'

Harry had the grace to look ashamed. `Sorry,' he muttered again. `I was really out of sorts, wasn't I?'

`Just a little! By the way, are you jealous of Ron and his tripping around the countryside?'

`Not really, I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself, you know, no best mate to go down the pub with and solve all my problems over a pint or two.'

`You still have me,' said Hermione as she crossed her arms in mock indignation.

`So you'll hop down to the Two Hoots and have a pint with me, then?' teased Harry, grinning at her.

`Well…'

Harry's "Hermione-teasing" urge got the better of him once more as he said in his best condescending manner, `It's not the same chatting over chardonnay, you know.'

Hermione nearly choked when she tried to gasp and laugh at the same time. Harry couldn't help but laugh at her, although he did pat her on the back as she tried to regain her breath. When she did, she gave him an extremely indignant look as she shoved him playfully in the chest, making him laugh even harder.

`I'll get even for all your teasing one day, Harry Potter!'

`Always waiting,' chuckled Harry. `Come on, we better get back.' He stood up and held his hand out to help Hermione to her feet. As they brushed themselves off, Harry said gratefully, `Thanks, Hermione. I feel much better.'

Hermione smiled up at Harry as he lifted her hand and pulled it through his arm. And so it was in this manner they made their way back in contented, companiable silence.

`You're lucky!' called Charlie as soon as they were within hearing distance. `Fred and George were just about to eat the last of the pudding!'

`It's a lie! An accusation without any merit whatsoever!' cried Fred, gasping dramatically.

`And also totally untrue!' called George, trying hard to look sombrely innocent.

Harry and Hermione laughed along with everyone else as they sat down.

`I wouldn't have let them, you know,' said Mrs Weasley, giving her twin sons a quelling look as she waved her wand, sending a plate of treacle tart to Harry and a piece of cream sponge to Hermione.

`Thanks Mrs Weasley,' said Hermione. `Lucky I had a bit of a walk to make room for this!'

`I would always have room for your treacle tart,' Harry assured her, tucking in.

`You all right, now?' Ginny asked Harry, and because he had a mouthful of tart, he could only smile and nod.

`So you managed to cheer the grumpy bugger up?' Neville commented to Hermione, who giggled at his description.

`Yes - he just needed a friendly ear and to get a few things off his chest.'

`All's well that ends well,' said Mr Weasley expansively; he'd been indulging in some after-lunch sherry and was feeling very much at peace with the world.

`And it's going to end even better if everyone gives me a hand cleaning up,' retorted his wife, although a small smile played around her mouth.

With everyone lending a hand, it didn't take long for the tables to be cleared and put away and all the dishes to be washed and dried. Bill and Fleur, Percy and Penelope and Charlie and his wife, Cordelia, all left shortly afterwards. While Mrs Weasley put the kettle on to make some tea, those remaining made themselves comfortable in the small living room - Mr Weasley in his favourite armchair and Ginny, Harry and Hermione on the couch, while Neville brought out a kitchen chair which he sat on backwards, his chin on his arms which were across the chair back; Fred and George were sitting on the floor, leaning one on each end of the couch.

After Mrs Weasley had brought in the tea tray and poured everyone a cup, she took the other armchair opposite her husband and sighed happily as she sipped her own tea. `If only Ron had been able to make it, it would have been quite perfect,' she sighed.

`Never so perfect as it is when we're here, mother dear,' said Fred grandly, causing Molly to click her tongue and roll her eyes.

`Have you heard from him, Hermione?' Mr Weasley asked, covering his mouth as he yawned.

`Arthur, you shouldn't have had so much sherry, now you'll be falling asleep,' accused Mrs Weasley.

`It's Sunday afternoon, I always have a nap Sunday afternoons,' her husband retorted, winking at his wife over the top of his glasses. `Now, Hermione, have you heard from Ron? How's he going?'

`What's the matter?' asked Mrs Weasley when Ginny, Harry and Hermione all stiffened and began exchanging glances, all three wondering whether this was the right time to tell her about Ron and Hermione.

`He's probably been spending every night down the local in whichever town he's in and getting totally p-' began George with a cheeky grin.

`George Weasley!' his mother admonished sharply.

Ginny sighed. `I promised Ron, so I'll tell her,' she said to Harry and Hermione.

`Tell me what?' asked her mother, putting her teacup down on the small, rickety side table next to her armchair. `What's wrong? Is something wrong with Ron? Why didn't you tell me?'

`Mum, stop! Ron's fine,' Ginny assured her. `He actually came to see us - Hermione - yesterday.'

`Really? He was missing you, dear, I suppose,' she said to Hermione.

`Not as such,' said Hermione, looking down at her fingers which were twisting nervously in her lap. Ginny had told Harry earlier and had told Hermione that morning about Ron asking her to let their mother know about his and Hermione's new status. Hermione had said she'd be happy to do it, but Ginny assured her it was fine, she'd promised her brother and she would keep that promise.

Neville, sitting in the chair to Hermione's right, reached over and put a comforting hand over hers. Harry noticed and frowned, glancing up at Neville. There's that look again! he thought. Hermione just doesn't realise. I'll have to talk to her again soon, convince her. She needs to distance herself a little more from Neville before it's too late. Too late for what exactly, he wasn't sure…

Ginny took a deep breath and said steadily. `Mum, Dad, Ron and Hermione have gone their separate ways. They're still friends, though, very good friends. But that's all.'

There was a few seconds of utter silence during which Mr Weasley blinked rapidly as he stared at Hermione. Mrs Weasley's mouth open and closed as though she was trying to speak, but in vain, her blue eyes fixed on Hermione.

`Well,' said Mrs Weasley, her astonishment evident in her voice. `Well,' she repeated.

`So you're still friends, then?' asked Mr Weasley, squinting at Hermione as though he couldn't quite focus properly.

`Oh yes, we'll always be friends,' said Hermione, glancing sideways at Harry and Ginny; she noticed Harry was staring at her lap and looking down, she saw Neville's hand was still over hers. She gently pulled her hands out and gave Neville a quick nod of thanks as he moved his hand away.

`I don't know what to say,' said Mrs Weasley.

`That's a first,' murmured Ginny and Harry and Hermione both had to smother their laughter.

`I daresay it won't be much different, dear,' Mr Weasley assured his wife, yawning. `They'll all come over occasionally to visit, Ron will eat more than anyone else and Hermione and Ginny will sit and chat with you. I wouldn't worry.'

Mrs Weasley looked across at her husband who was yawning again, her expression bemused. `I suppose you're right, dear,' she said, deciding she'd have to think this over later when everyone was gone.

`Good,' said Ginny briskly, `that's out of the way.' She and Hermione exchanged relieved glances. Mrs Weasley appeared to have accepted the new state of affairs fairly well.

`So how is Ron going? How's this whole Quidditch article thing going?' asked Mrs Weasley, looking between the three of them seated on the couch.

`So far so good, lucky buggers,' answered Harry. `They've seen the Falcons, the Wasps and Puddlemere so far and they're in Tutshill till tomorrow when they leave for Caerphilly, home of the Catapults.'

A soft snore made them all turn and look at Mr Weasley who had slipped into sleep - his head fallen back, his mouth open.

`And Dad's in the Land of Nod, home of the Snores,' said Fred, grinning.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

I can't believe that the day after tomorrow I begin reading "Deathly Hallows" (along with a few million other people, lol!). I won't be stopping until I've finished it, either. I hope you all enjoy your first read of the last book, and I'll "see" you all next Monday...

-->