Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note

I'm just glad I said Thursday and meant Monday, rather than the other way around! *grins*

Thanks for all the reviews folks! "See" you next Thursday! Janie xoxo

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

THIRD INTERLUDE

The Dark One at last knew victory. Granted, it was only a small one, but a victory nevertheless. It had been able to use a dark wizard, for just an instant, but it had been long enough to cast a spell. A side effect of the contact with the dark wizard appeared to be ongoing, although somewhat intermittent, mental communication. The Dark One had also been able to rake through its victim's memories and store the information it found there.

All in all it had been a successful experiment and to celebrate its victory, the Dark One set upon a tribe of the wretched creatures that inhabited the forest of the realm with vicious joy; the howls and screams of agony gave the Dark One almost as much pleasure as had its victory…

*

CHAPTER FOUR

In which Hermione writes a letter, Ron comes home to see Hermione, Dean has a birthday party and Harry has a little trouble falling asleep…

Hermione said, `I told you so,' rather smugly over breakfast the next morning when Ginny admitted Harry had taken the news well about her problems with Ida Wordsmith's successor at work, showing no inclination to storm into the offices of Witch Weekly and hex him into next week as Ginny had always feared. Instead, he listened and sympathised, comforted her and made some suggestions, all in a very supportive manner. Ginny had been surprised though - she'd been sure Harry would have wanted to hex someone like Blakely. Perhaps it's just that he's more mature now, she told herself.

`Have you owled Ron yet?' Ginny asked Hermione before leaving a short while later.

Hermione shook her head. I'll write a letter tonight,' she replied. She then spent much of her day at work composing the letter in her mind. She didn't want to write something that demanded his return immediately, sounding as though there was an emergency. Yet to be fair, she felt she should give him some idea what it was about so that he'd have time to think things through himself. She smiled fondly as she thought of him. He's come a long way in the last couple of years from the days of having the emotional range of a teaspoon, she mused.

That evening, Ginny went over to Harry's, leaving Hermione to write her letter. When she finished, she sealed it and left it on the table, ready to be sent off with Pigwidgeon the next morning.

The next few weeks passed relatively peacefully. Pigwidgeon had returned two days after Hermione had sent him off with her letter, bringing back a short note from Ron that simply said he'd be Flooing home for a visit on the weekend of the fifth of July. This was a Saturday, and also happened to be Dean's birthday so he'd invited them all over to help him celebrate, an invitation they'd all happily accepted. Hermione realised she hadn't mentioned in her letter to Ron that Dean was now living at the Nook, so she quickly sent off a second, much shorter letter, to let him know and to tell him about the party. She didn't receive a reply to this, nor did she expect one, amused at the thought that Ron had probably reached his letter writing capacity for the year.

*

The morning of Dean's birthday dawned fine and clear. Harry had to unexpectedly go into work, as an Auror had been injured in the early hours of the morning. The spell that had hit him was unknown to the Healers attending to him, despite their being specialists in spells of the Dark Arts. Since Harry was the only other wizard available that might possibly recognise the spell, he'd received an urgent owl from the Head Healer asking for his help; Harry hadn't hesitated and had left shortly before midday.

After a light lunch, Hermione and Ginny made their way down to Dean's flat to help with his party preparations; Neville was already there, attempting to blow up balloons - except that each one he tried to inflate exploded. Doing her best not to laugh, Hermione took over, Neville bemoaning the fact that he couldn't get the hang of the balloon inflating spell.

`You can tie them up,' Hermione told him.

`I bloody well hope so!' exclaimed Neville, making everyone laugh.

As it turned out, Neville had no problems tying the balloons together and was even able to charm them into bunches and put them up all around the room.

Ginny and Dean had been busy preparing the food, and Dean had just suggested they break for a cup of tea when there was a knock at the door.

Hermione immediately felt her stomach swiftly and painfully contract; she was sure it had to be Ron.

It was, and when Dean opened the door the two former schoolmates greeted each other warmly. Ginny rushed over and gave her brother a longer than usual hug, Neville calling out a greeting from across the room.

Ron's eyes had sought and found Hermione the instant Dean had opened the door and now he crossed to where she was standing near the fire place, balloons and other party paraphernalia littering the old trunk that was Dean's coffee table. Hermione slipped her wand into its pocket on the side of her jeans and smiled uncertainly at Ron. He held out as his hand to her and flashed her a reassuring smile before he turned and asked Dean, `Can you spare her for a little while?'

`Take all the time you like,' he assured them.

`I'll finish the balloons, don't worry,' Ginny said before making shooing motions at them reminiscent of her mother.

`Let's go for a walk by the stream,' suggested Hermione as they left, her hand in Ron's; she felt strangely nervous in his company, a peculiar sensation she'd never before experienced.

`Good idea,' Ron replied. `We'll be back,' he called out as they left, waving over his shoulder.

*

As she and Ron walked out the front door and down the steps, turning right to head across the garden towards the archway in the hedge, Hermione found herself sighing with relief.

Ron chuckled knowingly. `We managed to make it without bumping into Esmerelda,' he said, giving her hand a squeeze. With that, Hermione felt the unaccustomed nervousness leave her and she smiled up at Ron as she nodded.

As they reached the archway, Ron paused to let her go first and Hermione stepped through, stopping and wrapping her arms around herself as she closed her eyes, her head dropping back a touch as she breathed in the scents floating on the warm summer air. Ron followed and stood closely behind her, lifting his hands to rest on her shoulders. Hermione instinctively leant back against him and tilted her head slightly to the right as Ron dropped his head to rest his temple against hers, his eyes also closed. It was a few moments filled with many things, but mostly a wistful sadness for the passing of something that had once meant so much. Without moving or opening her eyes, Hermione said softly, `You know, I was in the common room that night last Christmas - on the couch.' She felt Ron stiffen and knew that without further explanation from her, he was aware of which night she was referring to.

Hermione continued. `I'd gone for a walk and I was standing by the fireplace just reminiscing when I heard someone laughing and talking just outside the entrance. I recognised your voice. I suppose it was because I was so surprised that I just dropped down onto the couch.' She felt Ron's hands tighten a little on her shoulders. `Then you came in with Luna and - well, you know the rest.'

`You never said anything.' Ron's voice was low, but held no accusation.

`Neither did you.'

Hermione turned around and looked up at him, her arms still wrapped around herself. Ron settled his hands onto her shoulders again as he gazed down at her.

`Why?' he whispered.

`Why what?' she asked softly.

Ron shrugged. `Why everything I guess. Why did you hide on the couch? Why didn't either of us say anything to the other about it?'

`For my part I felt rather foolish hiding there and the longer I stayed hidden, the more embarrassing it would've been to make myself known. So I didn't. And then later, well, I realised I was actually waiting for you to bring it up, only you didn't.' Hermione dropped her gaze as she paused and took a deep breath. `But do you know, there was one thing I didn't realise about that night until a few weeks ago. Something I should've picked up on - except that I was too busy not thinking about it all.'

`What did you realise?'

`I didn't feel any jealousy. Not even the tiniest bit.'

`I see,' said Ron quietly, as he took his hands off her shoulders and pushed them into his jeans pockets. He looked up, his eyes following a flock of birds just visible through the trees as they flew effortlessly across the sky. `You know, I did wonder why I never told you. I mean, I told myself it's not as though we really did anything wrong, did we? But I've come to realise something that I've been doing my damndest not to think about.' Ron sighed. `After that night in the common room, Luna seemed to be constantly on my mind. And that made me feel guilty. And once I felt like that, I couldn't bring myself to tell you about it. It's a bit confusing, really.'

`Come on,' said Hermione, `let's go and sit down.' They walked the short distance to the old wooden bench overlooking the stream. It was close to one of the old trees along the stream's bank, sitting under a canopy of the willow's long, gently wafting fronds. They sat down a little apart, Ron resting his right arm along the back of the bench, his fingers almost touching Hermione's hair.

Ron took a deep breath before speaking. `You said in your letter you thought things had changed between us,' he stated quietly. `You said you didn't think we felt about each other the way we always believed we had and that we just hadn't realised it.'

Hermione looked thoughtfully down into the clear water of the stream, watching a small insect hovering just above its own reflection on the surface as she said, `I supposed I shouldn't have assumed you felt the same and yet, when I look back, I think you did. For some reason, that night at Hogwarts seems to have marked some sort of turning point. Have you noticed that since then, since Christmas, we haven't been together as much?'

Ron nodded. `I did notice but I didn't worry about it. I suppose I just told myself it was because we were both so busy. I know one thing, though.'

Hermione lifted her gaze once more to meet Ron's. `What's that?' she asked.

`Since I got your letter, the one thing I've been thinking about is my feelings for you. It was hard after reading your letter, because whether or not you realise it, you basically said in so many words that you were no longer in love with me.'

Hermione winced, closing her eyes. It's true, she thought. Even without the actual words it would've been clear from what I wrote - how I wrote it. She opened her eyes to find Ron watching her, his eyes sad, but not desolate. Hermione waited, not speaking, knowing somehow that Ron hadn't finished.

`I think that's when I finally admitted to myself I wasn't in love with you any longer, either.'

Despite feeling certain of it for sometime now, to hear Ron actually say it still sent a spear of pain shooting through her. Her eyes filled with tears as she nodded in acknowledgement, then she felt his fingers drift into her hair, stroking it in an unconscious gesture of comfort.

`But I still love you,' he said gently. `I've always loved you - always will.'

`Not always,' she said, smiling at him, her unshed tears still glistening in her eyes. `Not before that business with the troll.'

Ron chuckled. `Right as usual,' he told her.

Hermione wiped the tears from her eyes as she smiled across at him. `You're always accusing me of that.'

`With good reason! And not an accusation, just a fact,' he replied with a gentle smile. He seemed to notice his hand in her hair then and withdrew it. `Sorry, didn't even realise I was doing that,' he told her.

`No need to be sorry,' Hermione replied. `You know, I think we're going to be much better off as friends.'

`See? Right again.'

Hermione rolled her eyes, but smiled at him. `Will it be strange? Being around each other but not being, well, with each other?'

Ron shrugged. `Maybe. We'll find out. We've been slowly moving back to that anyway without realising it till now. What is strange is how easy this has been - I was so tense about seeing you today and talking to you, and yet it's just all…'

`Fallen into place?' Hermione offered.

`Yeah,' agreed Ron. `We really have just been coasting along, haven't we? And we sort of slowly lost whatever it was we had on the way.'

`You could say we devolved,' said Hermione.

`We what?' queried Ron.

`Well, instead of our relationship e-volving, it's been gradually de-volving.'

Ron grinned as he shook his head in amused wonder. `What is it with you and words? But I suppose you could say that's it in a nutshell.'

`So, tell me about Luna.'

Ron quickly averted his gaze, his expression suddenly serious. Hermione reached out and put her hand on top of Ron's where it was now resting on the bench between them, giving it a gentle, reassuring squeeze.

`Please tell me. We are still friends, remember? We've been friends half our lives - and we trust each other.'

Ron looked down at their hands, turning his over and clasping Hermione's as he looked at her once more.

`We got an owl from her the day before she arrived. She'd booked a room in the same hotel and we all got together for lunch the day she came.' Ron paused, remembering how the arrival of that owl had set him to remembering the night at Hogwarts - remembering how she'd kissed him. `I didn't let myself think about her except as someone who was there on business. After lunch, Seamus and Colin wanted to see some action movie, but Luna doesn't much like violence or movies, so I said I'd take her to see the sights and we arranged to all meet back at the hotel restaurant for dinner.'

Hermione smiled at him, eyebrow raised. `While still not thinking about her?'

Ron looked away for a second, embarrassed. `Well, it was all a bit weird. I mean, before that night at Hogwarts I hadn't seen her since the end of the war. I'd come to like her by then, but that was years ago and I never really thought about her. Then after that night at Hogwarts - she kept popping into my head, but I never worked on figuring out why. It was a pretty confusing afternoon, let me tell you! I mean there was you - and, well, I just tried to ignore everything to do with Luna.'

`I wish we'd had this talk before she turned up - it'd probably have been a very different afternoon. But you know, I appreciate your honesty,' Hermione told him, `and your fidelity. At least now you can follow your heart.'

The look he gave her held both gratitude and admiration. `And what about you? Anyone you're not thinking about?'

Hermione shook her head and laughed. `Do you know, I haven't felt this good for a while. I think it's because everything's all right between us again - I think we were seeing less of each other because the way we thought we had to be when we were together wasn't real, only we hadn't realised it.' Hermione paused and laughed at the look of confusion on Ron's face as he tried to work out what it was she'd actually said. `But some part of us knew, and that's what made us start avoiding each other.'

Ron's confused expression became thoughtful as he looked at her. Then he grinned. `Damned if you're not right again!' Then they both laughed before Ron took a deep breath to steady his voice. `And I haven't felt this relaxed and easygoing with you for a long time, either. It does feel great, doesn't it?'

`Absolutely!' replied Hermione. `Now, back to Luna if you please.'

Ron rolled his eyes. `Nothing more to tell. Yet. I mean, anything to do with her has been on hold because - well, because of us. Anyway, we spent that afternoon knocking around the harbour and the shops -'

`You are kidding, aren't you?' interjected Hermione, her eyes wide with surprise. `You? Shopping?'

Ron gave her an embarrassed grin. `Being polite.'

Hermione made a noise which clearly indicated her amused disbelief.

`It wasn't too bad since Luna is, well, she's rather interesting and, well, the time just flew. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the hotel.'

`Anything happen with the negotiations for the stories?'

Ron shook his head. `She's given us the offer from her dad, in writing, and we're still going over it. We don't really know why he'd want our stuff since it's not the kind of thing you usually read in The Quibbler.'

`Exactly what Harry said. So when do you have to let them know?'

`This coming Monday, actually. Also the day we're leaving for Caerphilly, too.'

`What do you think about it? The offer from The Quibbler I mean.'

`To be honest, I think we should stick with the World. They made the original offer to Seamus and he accepted. That should be the end of it.'

`Why do you think he's even entertaining the idea of switching to The Quibbler?'

Ron shrugged. `Bit of a mystery to me. Seamus is an honourable bloke and I wouldn't've thought he'd consider such a deal. He reckons we might be able to bump up the amount the World is paying and yet he seems perfectly happy with the current arrangement. I reckon there's something he's not telling me.'

`You'll have to let me know what happens,' said Hermione, `I'm really curious about the outcome.'

`What? Write? Again?' Ron cast her a mock scandalised look and Hermione laughed, playfully swiping his arm.

`Yes, write, again, Ronald Weasley! It won't kill you!'

`Says you!'

`I thought I could hear voices. What won't kill you?'

Hermione and Ron both turned, matching looks of surprise on their faces.

`Harry!' they chorused.

`The one and only,' joked Harry, reaching the bench and leaning down to rest his arms along the back, looking from one to the other. `So, what's this about killing?'

`Hermione wants me to write to her again, can you believe it?' said Ron, shaking his head in pretended disgust.

Harry laughed. `That would just about kill you, I reckon,' he said.

`Then it can be his last living act,' said Hermione, crossing her arms as she tried to glare at Ron.

They all laughed then and when their laughter died away, they looked at each other and Hermione said softly as she took one of their hands in her own, `Just the three of us. It's been a while, hasn't it?' As they looked at each other once more, it became a moment of reaffirmation of the profound and powerful bond between them, the very bond that had been at the core of Voldemort's downfall. For a minute they simply gazed at each other, then as the sense of being connected slowly receded, Hermione released their hands and they smiled at one another.

Harry broke the silence, asking, `So, how're things with you two?'

`Bloody brilliant!' said Ron, making Hermione laugh.

`We're back to being friends again,' she told Harry.

A puzzled frown creased Harry's brow as he looked from one to the other.

`Neither of us is in love with the other,' explained Hermione succinctly. `So we're just friends.'

`The best of friends,' added Ron.

`Are you sure?' asked Harry. `I mean -' he hesitated, unsure of exactly what it was he wanted to say.

Ron and Hermione both nodded. `Our relationship has been devolving for some time now, as Hermione put it,' said Ron.

`And now we're back to being friends and we're both much happier,' added Hermione.

Harry straightened and crossed his arms as he smiled down at them. `Well, the pair of you certainly look happy enough so I guess I'll have to be happy too!'

Ron stood up, holding out his hand to Hermione and helping her to her feet. `And now that we're all happy,' said Ron, `I'll have to go. I need to talk to Seamus about this whole World versus Quibbler thing. He's gotta write to Luna's dad tomorrow at the latest so he can send it off on Monday.'

The three of them headed back inside, going up to Dean's flat so that Ron could say goodbye. Hermione walked in first and Ginny immediately shot her a questioning look. Hermione mouthed "later" and Ginny rolled her eyes, but smiled, standing up and moving over to Harry when she spotted him. Dean, Neville and Ginny had been sitting at Dean's old and rather battered square table having a cup of tea and Dean and Neville stood as everyone came in, Dean asking Ron if he was able to stay for the party that night.

`'Fraid not,' Ron told him as he walked towards him. `I really need to get back to Tutshill.'

Dean held out his hand to Ron, who took it, and as they shook, Ron wished him all the best for his birthday. He then shook hands with Neville and Harry and gave Ginny a hug.

`You all right?' she whispered as Neville and Harry moved away to join Dean and Hermione at the table

`Never better,' Ron said, smiling down at her.

`Thank goodness!' she exclaimed softly. `I was so worried!'

`Worry no more little sister; Hermione and I are fine friends once again.'

`Friends?'

`Yep. No more of this boyfriend and girlfriend nonsense for us,' he said, pulling a goofy face and making Ginny laugh. `We're friends with a capital "f"!'

`And you're both really all right?'

Ron because serious. `We're really all right, Ginny, I promise. Relieved, more like it. Listen, would you do me a favour?'

Ginny sighed as she slipped her arm through her brother's. `What's that, big brother?'

`Owl Mum for me and tell her about me and Hermione, would you? She'd want to know and I'm just no good at writing, especially about that sort of thing.'

`Well, you're actually right about that,' said Ginny, patting his arm sympathetically with her free hand, `so I'll take pity and write for you.'

Ron dropped a kiss on the top of her head. `Thanks, I really appreciate it,' he told her.

Hermione glanced over at Ron and Ginny and smiled fondly at them. `I'll go and see Ron off,' she said to the others at the table and stood, walking over to them. She told Ron she'd walk with him down to the fireplace, and so Ginny gave him a last hug goodbye before Ron slung his arm across Hermione's shoulders as they left, giving everyone one last wave over his shoulder.

When they reached the fireplace, Frewin, the Nook's owl, opened one eye to peer at them sleepily then closed it again, satisfied all was well. They stood facing each other, their hands loosely clasped between them.

Ron spoke first. `I guess this is sort of goodbye and hello. And goodbye.'

Hermione's eyes widened as she gave a short laugh. `What on earth are you talking about?' she asked.

Ron's smile revealed how pleased with himself he was. `Well, it's goodbye to the old us, the couple, and hello to the new us - the old friends. And it's goodbye again, 'cause I'm going!'

Hermione shook her head as she laughed, momentarily lost for words.

`You have fun at Dean's tonight, okay?' said Ron.

Hermione nodded. `I will. And good luck with Seamus - and don't forget to let me know what happens!'

`Forget? I wouldn't dare,' joked Ron. He bent down and kissed Hermione's cheek. `It is really a bit strange y'know,' he commented, `a year ago I wouldn't've been able to keep my hands off you!'

`A year ago I wouldn't've wanted you to!' laughed Hermione.

Ron let go of her hands and wrapped his arms around her, Hermione laying her head on his chest as her arms went around his waist.

`You look after yourself, and be happy,' he told her, his voice serious once more.

`I will. And you do the same,' she murmured back.

Ron released her before stepping closer to the fireplace; he took a soft pouch from his shirt pocket and extracted a pinch of Floo Powder from it, which he cast into the fireplace, saying "Tutshill Arms!' in a loud, clear voice, after which he quickly stepped into the green flames and disappeared.

Two minutes later, Hermione walked back into Dean's flat and Ginny almost pounced on her, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the couch.

`You have to tell me everything,' she demanded.

`Yes sir!' said Hermione, laughing as they sat down.

Neville watched the two girls as they talked intently, red hair and brown hair almost touching. He was sitting with Dean and Harry at the table, a cold butterbeer in front of each of them. Then he turned to Harry to ask, `So, Harry, what's going on with Hermione and Ron? Ginny was telling us Ron came to see Hermione 'cause they were having problems but she wouldn't say what. Are they okay?'

`I was wondering, too,' put in Dean.

`They're fine, honestly. They're back to being friends again as they put it - not a couple any longer.' Because he was watching for it, Harry saw the fleeting look of surprise and anticipation in Neville's eyes before he turned away. I wonder whether he'll start making a move on Hermione tonight at the party? Harry wondered. I hope not, I think Hermione needs a little time to herself, even though she and Ron are okay…

*

`How did you go with that Auror this afternoon?' Hermione asked Harry that night, raising her voice slightly to compensate for the music coming from Dean's sound system. They were standing in the kitchen, Harry pouring a glass of champagne for her.

Harry handed her the glass and while he put the bottle back into the fridge, he said, `Not too well. He's still unconscious - it's not a spell anyone's seen the likes of before.'

Hermione watched as Harry turned back to the bench and poured himself a glass of Ogden's.

`Do you think it's a new spell then, or an old one?' she asked, sipping her drink.

Harry had picked up his glass as she spoke, but his hand froze halfway to his mouth and he stood stock-still for an instant, his green eyes staring at her.

`What's wrong?' asked Hermione, perplexed.

Harry took a mouthful of his drink then said, `We pretty much keep up to date with new spells - I mean it's usually easy enough to see the direction new types of spells are going to take as they're developed and we can anticipate it. But old - we never thought of it being an old spell. The wizard we suspect of casting the spell has never used anything old before.'

`Do you have someone who specialises in old spells and charms?' asked Hermione.

`Yeah, an old wizard - not meaning to be funny,' smiled Harry. `I'll owl him first thing Monday morning. At least I know Cleaver - the Auror - is stable for the time being.'

`What are you two having a deep and meaningful about?' asked Neville, as he walked over to the bench behind Harry to pour himself another drink.

`Just work,' said Harry, moving a little to give Neville more elbow room. He felt a sudden urge for a bit of "Hermione-teasing" and grinned wickedly as he winked at her, saying nonchalantly, `I'll leave you two alone - together - I'm off to find Ginny.'

It was then that Hermione remembered what Harry had told her about Neville and as the memory washed over her, she felt her cheeks grow warm with embarrassment. She glared ferociously at Harry, who simply waggled his eyebrows at her as he took a few backwards steps out of the kitchen before turning and walking off. He didn't get too far though, Dean calling him over and introducing him to Andy, his younger brother, and Alyssa, his brother's girlfriend. Harry found he was positioned in the small circle so that he could see Neville and Hermione and had to keep pulling his attention away from the couple in the kitchen.

Neville turned and leant back against the bench, either not knowing Harry's remark held a double meaning or simply choosing to ignore it. `So, Harry was telling us that you and Ron are no more,' he said. `Sorry to hear that, Hermione. Are you all right?'

Hermione nodded as she took a large gulp of her cold champagne to cover her embarrassment. For heaven's sake, Hermione, she told herself crossly, Harry may be totally wrong about Neville - just relax!

Looking up at Neville, Hermione managed a smile and was relieved to see simple concern in the hazel eyes gazing down at her. What she didn't see when she glanced away was the look of longing that filled his eyes as they rested on her.

Hermione's gaze had settled momentarily on Harry as Dean made introductions, then she drew her attention back to Neville. `I really am, you know - all right, that is. It was a great relief to talk to Ron today and we managed to sort everything out. We're both much happier now - and relieved, too.'

`Good, I'm glad to hear it, Hermione,' Neville replied, holding his glass out in a silent toast. Hermione touched her glass to his and smiled. `Thanks,' she said softly, unaware that Harry was watching at that moment, a frown creasing his brow as he wished he hadn't left Hermione alone with Neville.

`Ah ha! Seamus, mate, you made it!' came Dean's voice across the room as Seamus Finnigan came bouncing through the front door.

`As if I'd miss me best mate's birthday party, now!' cried Seamus, taking Dean's hand to shake it, his free hand pounding his friend's back.

`Glad you could tear yourself away,' laughed Dean. `Come on, I'll get you a drink.'

Everyone greeted Seamus as he and Dean moved towards the kitchen. Harry shook his hand and Ginny gave him a hug, while Dean brought over Andy and Alyssa to be introduced. When they reached the kitchen, Neville, who towered over his former schoolmate, shook his hand and Hermione gave him a warm hug.

`How's it going with the trip?' Neville asked him, as Dean twisted the top off a bottle of Butterbeer, which he then handed to Seamus.

`Just great,' grinned Seamus before taking a good swig of his drink.

Hermione was a little confused. `Ron said you and he had to talk about the offer from The Quibbler,' she asked, her confusion evident on her face.

`And we were going to,' Seamus told her, `but Luna turned up again this evening, unexpectedly, so that was that. Now we're talking about it tomorrow. But I think we'll stay with the World.'

Hermione frowned, perplexed. `Did you ever seriously consider the offer from The Quibbler?' she asked.

`Oh yes,' nodded Seamus, although Hermione wasn't totally convinced. `But I don't think it'd be right, after all. Luna won't mind. I think she seems more interested in Ron than buying stories.' He shot Hermione a cautious glance as if unsure what her reaction to this would be.

Hermione waved her hand dismissively. Her head was still full of the confusion she felt about the whole situation with the two publications.

`Don't worry yourself about it,' Seamus advised, `it's all settled now anyway. Right, I'm off to mingle,' he finished, giving her a quick wink and a smile.

`What was that all about?' asked Neville, so Hermione filled him in. Retelling the story still didn't clear up her confusion and she made a mental note to ask Ron about it next time she had the chance to speak to him.

As Hermione finished, the music stopped and Ginny joined them in the kitchen. `Time for the birthday cake,' she announced, making her shooing motions again. `Everyone needs to be around the other side of the bench.'

Harry glanced over at that moment and saw Neville once again put his hand on Hermione's back as they moved out of the kitchen. He saw the thoughtful look on Hermione's face as she glanced up at Neville and he once again mentally kicked himself for telling her about Neville's feelings. She'd never have given him a second thought if I hadn't told her that, he decided. He was distracted then as Ginny called out to Dean to come into the kitchen; she'd placed his birthday cake on a stand on the bench, lighting the candles with a wave of her wand and then joining Harry and the others to sing "Happy Birthday" and watch Dean blow out his candles and cut the cake. Dean then opened his presents, particularly pleased with the poster of his favourite Muggle football team, West Ham, which Hermione had charmed so that it looked like a normal wizarding picture with the players jostling each other and waving at Dean.

Ginny took it on herself to cut up the cake and pass it around, and while she was doing that, Hermione chatted to Andy and Alyssa to whom she'd been introduced earlier.

`Dean tells me this was your last year at Hogwarts, so you must've just finished your NEWTs,' she said to Andy.

Andy nodded. `I'm afraid so,' he said with a crooked grin. He was a little taller than Dean, with whom he'd always been very close, although Andy wasn't, to Hermione's eyes, quite as handsome as his older brother. `And now I just have the nerve-wracking wait for the results.'

`You'll do brilliantly,' said Alyssa, a tall, slender witch with long, dark brown hair and beautiful sea green eyes, `and it's so nice now because we can see each other every weekend,' she finished with a brilliant smile for Andy.

Andy returned the smile and nodded. `With me at Hogwarts and Alyssa at St Mungo's as a Trainee Healer for the past year, we haven't seen as much of each other as we'd like to.' He and Alyssa had met at Hogwarts, but since Alyssa was in the year above him, she'd finished school the previous year.

`What are you going to do now you've finished Hogwarts?' Hermione asked Andy.

`Transfiguror.'

Hermione's eyes widened in surprise. `That's not easy work,' she commented, referring to the task of Transfiguring old or obsolete objects into new, useful things - rather like Muggle recycling - as well as returning Transfigured items to their original state; it was highly regarded work as not many wizards or witches had the necessary level of talent for the volume and range of Transfiguration required. `You must be one of Professor McGonagall's prize students!'

Andy looked a little embarrassed, but grinned at her. `I really love Transfiguration,' he told her.

`And he's unbelievably good at it, too,' said Alyssa proudly, smiling up at him. Andy put his arm around her shoulders and hugged her to him.

`Thanks, sweetheart,' he said. `And you are going to be the best Healer to ever come out of St Mungo's.'

Hermione smiled fondly at them, thinking how lovely it was to see two people so obviously in love with each other.

The clock on Dean's mantel called out `Half ten!' in its characteristic high-pitched voice and Andy groaned. `Time for us to go! Alyssa has to be home before eleven and Mum'll be getting me up early to help with Dean's family party at home tomorrow.' The pair said goodbye to Hermione and to everyone else and ten minutes later saw them heading downstairs to Floo to their respective destinations. Seamus left half an hour after Andy and Alyssa, and when Dean announced that he needed to get to bed just before midnight, everyone began to help tidy up.

Ginny and Hermione had volunteered for kitchen duty and so they were in the kitchen with their wands, overseeing the dishes and glasses as they washed and dried themselves. Dean was reading out to Harry and Neville from an article in Dean's copy of Wizarding World about the upcoming series on each of the British teams and their chances of making it to the World Cup. `An exciting series of articles on each of the British Quidditch teams as they vie for the honour of representing Great Britain in the Quidditch World Cup next year,' read Dean. `The series will be written by Seamus Finnigan, the bright, young sportswriter making his mark in the world of Quidditch and with photography by none other than the award-winning Colin Creevey. There is also the added bonus of input by one of England's top young Quidditch commentators, Ron Weasley, who of course is just as famous for being a third of the legendary Trio, along with Harry Potter and Hermione Granger - They-Who-Defeated-Voldemort!'

`Dean's going to his parents' for the day tomorrow - his Mum's having a family party for him,' Ginny told Hermione by way of explanation for the early finish.

`That's really nice,' Hermione commented. `And there are enough of them to make a party on their own!'

`Bit like us Weasleys,' giggled Ginny.

As the last of the glasses settled itself neatly in the cupboard, Ginny and Hermione joined the three men to see what they were looking at.

Ginny groaned. `Quidditch! I should've known!'

Dean gave her a playful poke in the side. `I thought you loved Quidditch,' he said with a raised eyebrow.

`I do! But I'd much rather watch it - or even play it - than just read about it!'

`You can never have too much Quidditch,' said Harry, grinning.

`Come on, you lot,' said Neville. `We'd better get going so Dean can get his beauty sleep.'

After bidding Dean good night and wishing him happy birthday one last time, everyone made their way to the front door. As they stood in the hallway outside Dean's flat, Neville said, `I'm not terribly tired yet.' He turned to Hermione. `Hermione, would you like to go for a walk with me?' he asked her. `It's a beautiful night.'

Hermione stared at Neville, wide-eyed with surprise. Ginny gasped silently and looked at Harry. Harry was staring at Neville. At least he looks like Neville, he thought, bemused.

Neville looked around at Ginny and Harry. `You could come too, if you like,' he said, trying hard to mask the reluctance in his voice.

Hermione blinked once - then she looked across at Harry; she had the irrational thought that this was somehow his fault. Ginny and Harry were looking at each other, neither sure of what to say.

`What's wrong with everyone?' asked Neville, looking around at them, puzzled.

`Nothing!' the three of them chorused, all their eyes now on Neville.

More to dispel the unexpected awkwardness of the moment than anything else, Hermione said, `I'd love to go for a walk.' She hooked her arm through Neville's. `Let's go. I'm sure Ginny and Harry would rather be alone.'

Harry's mouth dropped open as he stared at Hermione, making a strangled sound which caused Ginny to elbow him in the side. He looked down at her. `What?' he mouthed and in reply, green eyes wide behind his glasses; Ginny put her finger to her lips.

Neville was beaming as he nodded goodnight to Ginny and Harry, then he and Hermione headed for the stairs. Ginny and Harry watched them silently until they were out of sight.

`What the hell was that all about?' asked Ginny, astonished.

`Neville fancies Hermione,' Harry stated flatly, still staring at the stairs down which they'd disappeared.

`Well, that explains Neville asking, but not Hermione accepting. She would've told me if she was interested in Neville,' said Ginny, frowning.

`I didn't think he'd work up the courage to do something like that,' said Harry, still dazed.

`People can be surprisingly brave when it comes to something they want really badly,' said Ginny. `Come on, let's go upstairs. I'll make us some coffee.'

Harry turned and followed Ginny up the stairs to her flat, his mind churning the whole time.

He did it! He asked her out! Well, for a walk. And so soon! Why did she go? Surely she can't be developing feelings for him. Could she? Hermione and Neville? Merlin's beard!

Harry blinked and found himself sitting at the kitchen table, Ginny chattering away as she made coffee; he wasn't really listening to her, still caught up in his own thoughts.

Why does it bother me? Hermione and Ron never bothered me. Or did they? Actually, I did wonder at times what on earth they saw in each other. Hermione hasn't been fussed about Quidditch since Hogwarts - Ron's never been into reading - the one thing they've always had in common is their ability to argue over just about anything… although at least they finally stopped all that bloody arguing. When was that? About a year ago? Come to think of it, maybe that's when they started, erm, what did Hermione call it? Oh yeah - devolving. Harry shook his head - the thoughts buzzing around inside it felt like a cloud of flies that were becoming increasingly annoying and he wanted to swat them all away. I don't want to think about it anymore, damn it! I've spent the last few weeks getting my head around the change with Ron and Hermione and now this! Bloody Neville! Why couldn't he have waited before doing this?

`Harry!' Ginny sounded very exasperated. `You haven't heard a word I've said!'

Harry looked at Ginny, now sitting beside him; there was a cup of steaming coffee in front of both of them.

`Sorry,' he mumbled, `I think I'm in shock.' He picked up his cup, blowing gently across the surface to cool the hot liquid.

`Over what?'

`Everything, I suppose. The last few weeks have been - well, hard work for -' Harry tapped his temple with his finger.

Ginny rolled her eyes, then smiled indulgently at him. `Men! You can't handle too many different emotions at once, can you?'

Harry scowled at her. `It's not that,' he said tersely, `it's just -' he stopped, groping for the words to describe what he was feeling but unable to find them. He ran his fingers through his hair impatiently. `I'm too tired to think properly.'

`I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be flippant,' said Ginny softly, gazing at him with concern. `You should get to bed and you can enjoy a good sleep in tomorrow since it's Sunday.'

Harry pushed his coffee aside and stood up. `I'm sorry, Ginny - I'm not being much fun for a Saturday night, am I? I'm just feeling a little out of sorts. Probably that business at work today. I think I will go to bed if you don't mind.' He leant down, absentmindedly slipping one hand behind around her neck before kissing her gently. `I'll see you tomorrow,' he said with a half smile.

But sleep seemed determined to elude him as he lay in bed. It was only when he heard two sets of footsteps on the stairs, hushed voices followed by the opening and closing of the door across the hall and then a single set of footsteps going back downstairs, that he realised he'd been unconsciously waiting for just those sounds; he did wonder why as he drifted off to sleep, but if there was an answer, it was lost to his dreams…

TO BE CONTINUED…

-->