Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note

Hi everyone! *Janie waves gaily* I've had the BEST time EVER the last two weekends but I won't bore you with the details because I'm sure you'd rather be reading this next chapter of Sorcerers' Nook! *grins* By the way, when you reach the end of this chapter, remember that I love you all (or at least like you a lot, depending on how long I've known you *grins*…). And finally - my heartfelt thanks to my very dear friend, Kirsti, along with lots of hugs and love. Janie xoxoxo

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

In which Colin is farewelled, Ginny, Harry and Hermione meet in public for the first time since Harry and Hermione became a couple; we find out who Ron and Seamus choose to take Colin's place and we see how the parents of the chosen deal with Ron and Seamus's choice in their own distinctive ways. Harry and Hermione finally, at last, bring Dean to talk with Verity and Emrys…and like Dean, Harry and Hermione, you won't believe what comes out of that meeting

As they stood beside Colin's grave, bathed in the dappled sunlight streaming through the leaves of the huge spreading oak tree which dominated the hillside graveyard, Hermione found herself feeling horribly self-conscious about the simple act of holding Harry's hand. She kept her gaze fixed on the reverend as he read passages aloud from the Bible to the gathered crowd. Unexpectedly, Colin's parents lived in a lovely old village east of Oxford called Cuddesdon, whose ancient parish church seemed to exude a soothing peace from its majestic position above them, on top of the hill.

There must be over fifty people here, she thought to herself, determined to take her mind off the fact that Ginny - Dean standing almost possessively beside her - was on the opposite side of the grave with her parents and her twin brothers. Even so, she couldn't help a small smile lifting the corners of her mouth as she looked around at the various witches and wizards in attendance who, in deference to Colin's parents, had all put on Muggle clothing, although some choices were more convincing than others; it amused Hermione to see the Muggles' expressions of either mystification or horror whenever they glanced at one of the peculiarly attired strangers.

Inevitably, however, Hermione's eyes were drawn back to Ginny. Although they hadn't had an opportunity to speak of it, Hermione knew that both she and Harry had been very aware this would be the first time they'd see Ginny as a couple - and that she would see them as a couple.

She keeps stealing glances at us, while we do the same. What's she thinking? What's she feeling? Hermione sighed. I suppose she's asking herself the same questions about us.

The quiet, heart-rending sobs of Colin's parents and his brother intruded on her thoughts then, and she felt her throat constrict. Poor wonderful, clever, sweet, dear Colin! We will all miss him so much - but his family more so. Hermione felt tears of sadness spill over and run down her cheeks. Lifting her gaze from the cheerless sight of Colin's freshly covered, flower encrusted grave, she felt shock ripple through her as she found herself looking directly into Ginny's bright brown eyes. They held each other's gaze and a strange sort of understanding passed between them. Hermione knew they wouldn't speak to each other that day, but that somehow that was all right. She also instinctively knew that Ginny wasn't yet ready to confront the reality of she and Harry being together in public and her compassion for her friend was evident in her gaze. When Ginny nodded almost imperceptibly, Hermione knew that she too, understood. We both know we'll be able to talk about this some day, Hermione thought, but not today. This is a day dedicated to Colin and his family…

Harry had noticed Hermione and Ginny's silent exchange; he'd been on tenterhooks the whole morning, ready to defend and protect Hermione if need be. He realised he needn't have worried. No one present, least of all Hermione or Ginny, would violate the sanctity of the occasion. He looked down at Hermione as he gently squeezed her hand, and as Hermione looked up at him, he saw the tears on her face. Without thinking, he lifted his free hand and tenderly wiped away her tears with the back of his fingers before dropping a quick, soft kiss on her forehead.

Ginny watched them with a feeling of intense sadness and loss invading her heart. Yet she realised as she looked at them that in the intervening time since Harry had told her he no longer loved her and this poignantly revealing moment, she'd slowly come to terms with the fact that it was truly over. She knew her own strength and that it would carry her through. It had carried her through - to this particular moment when she felt the irrevocable breaking of her heart's bond with Harry; it was at this sad occasion that she was able to finally let go, completely and utterly. Buoyed by the strange lightness that overtook her heart and spirit, she looked up at Dean, beside her, and found he was watching her. Her eyes softened as she gazed at him and a wonderful warmth infused her when she felt his hand enfold hers.

Harry and Hermione both watched this exchange and it was Hermione's turn to feel her heart lighten as she gazed at them before turning and smiling lovingly up at Harry.

The spell was broken then as the reverend's clearly heard "amen" was obediently echoed by everyone present.

`Let's go home,' said Harry softly, and Hermione nodded, wanting nothing more than to be alone with Harry and talk about the day. However, she was resigned to the fact that that wasn't to be as Ron and Luna were staying in Harry and Ron's flat, while Seamus was staying in Dean's; together with Esmerelda, they were all headed for the Nook. After checking with Hermione that she was happy to do so, Harry suggested they all have some morning tea together. With the exception of Esmerelda, this suggestion was met with enthusiastic approval; everyone felt the need to talk about Colin and share their memories of him. Shortly afterwards, Frewin looked up sleepily as familiar green light filled the sitting room at Sorcerers' Nook. He caught a glimpse of Esmerelda spinning in the coloured flames before she stepped out, followed in quick succession by Hermione, Luna, Harry, Ron and Seamus.

Hermione and Harry both looked up at the portrait above the fireplace, but once again the old couple appeared to be asleep. Harry and Hermione exchanged concerned glances; Verity and Emrys had been asleep - or feigning sleep, they were certain - every time either Harry or Hermione had tried to speak to them since the previous Monday morning when Verity had been upset after receiving some bad news.

Esmerelda took her leave and headed for her office and Harry led the way to his and Ron's flat; as everyone made themselves comfortable on the large, black leather modular lounge, Harry put the kettle on to make tea and coffee. While the kettle was boiling, he found a packet of biscuits in the pantry cupboard which he set out on a plate, and once the tea and coffee were ready and everyone had a cup of their choice, the conversation moved from amusement at some witches' and wizards' idea of Muggle clothing to Colin, and they spent some time recounting many small moments and memories of their schoolmate, friend and work colleague.

`I can't believe he's gone,' said Seamus finally, looking around at everyone in turn, each of them nodding in agreement.

`Me either, mate,' said Ron, his voice heavy. He gave Luna, beside him, a grateful look as she tenderly stroked his face, her soft words of consolation for his ears only.

Hermione found her lips curving in a smile at the heart-warming sight of Ron and Luna. It truly makes me glad, she thought, to see him happy. Ron glanced up and caught her eye at that moment and her expression drew a small lopsided grin from him as he winked at her. Hermione sighed. I hope I can see Ginny happy again, soon; Dean certainly seems determined to stick around till she notices him.

Harry's voice broke into her thoughts. `Have either of you decided who's going with you in Colin's place?' he asked Ron and Seamus.

Ron groaned and Seamus shook his head.

`We're in a bit of a pickle,' said Ron, rolling his eyes. `Ginny's nagging me to death because she wants to come to, erm' - he hesitated for a second, throwing Harry and Hermione a quick uncomfortable glance, `- well, she says she wants to get away. Mum's threatening me with all sorts of horrible things if I dare take her because she's worried something will happen to her after this business with Colin.'

`And Dennis is bein' ferocious about steppin' up to take his brother's place, says it's his right,' put in Seamus, `and his parents are nearly hysterical about losin' him since he's now their only son.' Seamus heaved a great sigh. `Dunno what we're gonna do,' he finished.

`They should both go,' said Luna, sounding almost matter-of-fact.

Ron and Seamus both stared at her as they said simultaneously, `What?'

`Are you mad?' cried Seamus.

Luna smiled and shrugged. `Perhaps.'

`Why would you say that?' Ron asked, staring at Luna.

`Well, I've heard that if you are mad, you're usually unaware of -'

`No, not that,' said Ron impatiently, although he couldn't stop himself from smiling, `I mean about taking both of them - Ginny and Dennis.'

`Oh, well, that's because between them they may do half as good a job as Colin did. Colin was very talented, wasn't he? And there's nothing like a little healthy competition to speed up improvement, is there?'

Ron gaped at her.

`I think you've got something there, Luna,' said Hermione approvingly. `Ginny's always had a good eye - I know they respected her highly at work, although I don't know that she's done a lot of actual photography. And Dennis was telling me this morning that he's been learning from Colin for years now, and of course he's inherited all Colin's cameras, so -' she finished with an expressive shrug.

Seamus nodded, although at the same time he looked quite astonished by Luna's suggestion.

`It's true,' he said, nodding. `Ginny has been showing us a lot of the stuff she's designed for Witch Weekly - and all her stuff looks great, I have to say - and Dennis has worn out every owl at the post office sending us samples of his work. Luna, you're amazing at times.' Seamus grinned at her. `And you're not mad.'

`I wouldn't know for sure,' said Luna with a soft smile.

`Well I know for sure,' said Ron, putting his arm around her and pulling her closer to him, `and I reckon you're a genius. What d'you reckon, mate?' he asked as he looked across at Seamus. `We take `em both?'

`Sure, I think it's a great idea. But I want to know who's going to be the one to tell your mum?'

`Hedwig,' said Ron immediately, drawing amused chuckles from everyone, `if that's all right with you Harry? I'd better write to Ginny and Dennis straight away, before I lose my nerve.'

Harry grinned. `That's fine by me,' he told Ron, `but you're still going to have to face your mum sooner or later.'

`Preferably later,' muttered Ron as he excused himself, heading for the kitchen where the spare parchment and quills were kept. He wrote two quick notes at the kitchen bench, assuring Hedwig as he fixed them to her leg that he'd buy her a box of the best owl treats known to Wizardkind.

*

After a very enjoyable lunch of chicken and ham pie and baked vegetables, Dean left the Burrow, heading for the Ministry and his meeting with Harry and Hermione. Before he stepped into the fireplace, he assured Ginny he'd be back to tell her what happened.

As the green flare died down, Hedwig landed on the kitchen windowsill, hooting softly.

Ginny felt her heart skip a beat at the sight of her, wondering why she was there.

`Goodness me!' exclaimed Molly as she bustled over. `I wonder what this is about?'

`I just hope it's good news,' commented Arthur over the top of his Daily Prophet, exchanging a worried glance with his daughter.

`It's for you, Ginny, dear,' said Molly as she held out the small roll of parchment. `Just a minute, Hedwig, I'll get you some water and -' but before she could say anymore, Hedwig gave a quick hoot and with an affectionate peck to Molly's hand, flew off.

`In a bit of a hurry, I see,' said Molly as she turned back to see Ginny reading her letter, a huge smile on her face.

`What is it dear?' she asked.

Ginny held the parchment out to her mother, saying, `It's from Ron.'

Ginny's smile faded and she sighed as she watched her mother's eyes move backwards and forwards across the parchment; she knew what was coming.

`Ginny Weasley! You are not going anywhere! I won't stand for it! It's too dangerous and I won't -'

`Mum! Stop!' cried Ginny, her exasperation with her mother mixed with frustration at being mollycoddled, all adding up to severe irritation.

`What are you talking about?' asked Arthur as he stood up, dropping his paper on the old armchair before crossing the room to join them.

Molly held out the parchment to her husband, her eyes flashing as she told him furiously, `Ron has asked Ginny to join their tour!'

As his eyes skimmed the parchment then lifted slowly to gaze at his daughter, Molly could see by his expression that she was alone in her opposition to Ginny going.

`Arthur! You can't possibly agree -'

`I'm afraid I can, dear,' he said gently as he rolled the parchment up and handed it back to Ginny, who gave him a grateful smile. `We've taught our children never to allow fear to dominate or control their lives, so I think Ginny should go.'

Molly's face fell and tears formed in her eyes; she knew she'd lost. `It's just that after Fred almost died in the war, I can hardly bear to think about losing any of them…'

`Neither can I, dear,' said Arthur, as he put one arm around his wife's shoulders, the other around his daughter's, and pulled them both to him. `But we can't let that turn us into something akin to gaolers.'

Molly nodded sadly as she whispered, `I know you're right.' As she looked at her daughter, she managed a smile, and lifting her arm, she hugged her tightly. `But if you don't owl or Floo me every day, I'll be on your doorstep so fast your head will spin!'

*

Harry and Hermione had a quick lunch before leaving Ron, Luna and Seamus playing a game of snap with a deck of Muggle cards given to Seamus by his dad. As they left, they could hear Ron complaining about the lack of excitement when none of the cards could explode.

When they reached the fireplace, they automatically glanced up at the Leighs' portrait, their eyes widening in surprise as they saw both Verity and Emrys looking down at them.

`Are you all right?' asked Hermione.

Verity nodded as Emrys said, `Yes, thank you,' in a quiet voice.

`What was the bad news you received?' asked Harry.

`Harry!' hissed Hermione, shocked at his bluntness.

`What?' he asked, bewildered.

Emrys chuckled. `It's all right, Hermione. The bad news we received was the death of a very old and dear friend.'

It was Hermione's turn to be bewildered. `Friend? But how could you - I mean…' Hermione's voice trailed off, unable to put her confused thoughts into words.

`It's all right, I understand your confusion,' Emrys said. `Perhaps it would make more sense if I told you that this isn't our only portrait.'

`Oh!' exclaimed Harry and Hermione together, staring up at the elderly couple.

Verity smoothed her apron as she nodded at them. `We've never told anyone that before, but now that - well, now that our friend has gone, I think it's safe to talk about it.'

`Would you mind if I asked who your friend was?' queried Hermione.

Emrys and Verity exchanged glances, before Verity answered. `We don't mind at all, dear, but I think it's best if we answer that another time. Now, how are things coming along with Dean?'

Quelling her curiosity, Hermione said, `We're just on our way to meet him now. We actually had a meeting with him last Monday and showed him the book.'

Verity and Emrys both leant forward in their chairs.

`What happened?' asked Emrys.

`The book recognised him,' explained Harry, `and it sort of connected with him.'

`Good,' said Verity. `Will you be able to be here with him this evening?'

`Try and stop me,' said Hermione under her breath, while Harry assured them they would be.

*

On the first occasion that Dean had "activated" the Book of Records, Harry and Hermione had left him alone to read his father's entries. This time, however, they stayed, watching as Dean once again placed his left hand on the inside cover, causing the blue-white light to shine briefly. As he turned the page, Dean smiled and Hermione and Harry looked on in surprise as the full page portrait of Oswyn Riley smiled back.

`He basically just glared at us,' said Harry indignantly.

`Probably because he knew we weren't Rileys,' commented Hermione, excited already at this evidence of things being different now that Dean was reading the book.

Dean flashed a grin at them before turning the page. Hermione gasped. `Look!'

`What is it?' asked Harry, unable to see anything different on the first contents page.

`There are extra entries!' she exclaimed, pointing; Harry noticed then that amongst the list written in black were a few titles written in dark green ink.

`Would you read out the coloured titles for us, please Dean?' asked Hermione.

`Sure,' said Dean, running his finger down the list, reading out various titles mainly concerned with old battles and ancient, mostly forgotten events. It was on the third page that Dean came across a short title that immediately caught Hermione's attention.

`Riley's, erm, Pensieve,' said Dean, hesitating at the unfamiliar word; very few wizards came into contact with Pensieves and most hadn't heard of the rare, magical device.

`Pensieve?' broke in Hermione, wide eyed.

Dean looked up at her, assuming she was as puzzled as he was. `I think that's what it says - maybe I've pronounced it wrong. What on earth is a Pensieve?'

Hermione shook her head, `No, you've said it correctly - it's just that I didn't think Pensieves were around that long ago…'

Dean stared at her. `You know what a Pensieve is?' Then he rolled his eyes and shook his head, adding under his breath, `I'm saying this to Hermione Granger? Huh!'

Only hearing the question Dean directed at her, Hermione nodded earnestly. `Professor Dumbledore had one at Hogwarts. Harry told me all about it.'

`So what is it?' asked Dean.

Hermione gave him a brief description, at which Dean whistled, impressed.

`Sounds like a nifty thing to have,' he commented.

`If there is a Pensieve that belongs to your family, Dean,' said Harry thoughtfully, `it could hold all sorts of memories.'

`Why would they make an entry about a Pensieve?' asked Hermione.

`Let's find out,' said Dean, grinning, taking out his wand and repeating the spell given to find that entry.

When he'd finished reading the two pages of small, neat writing that had appeared, Dean sat back in his chair, staring across at Harry and Hermione.

Hermione's head was filling rapidly with a host of new possibilities. `A family Pensieve?' she whispered. Then she frowned and made a sound of utter frustration. `But where is it? Dean - would you go back to the contents pages and see if there are any more entries that refer to the Pensieve?'

Harry and Hermione listened intently as Dean read the titles written in green on page after page, hesitating only when he came to an entry on the last page. Hermione leant forward and tilted her head, enabling her to see that the entry immediately above was in black ink; it was titled "My Family", the first thing that she and Harry, as well as Dean, had read in the Book of Records.

Dean cleared his throat and continued. `The Return of, erm…'

Hermione dropped her eyes to the title written above Dean's stationary index finger.

`Voldemort,' said Hermione firmly, then she look quizzically at Dean. `You don't still have trouble saying his name, do you?'

Dean shook his head, his brown eyes sad as he looked up at Hermione. `It just caught me off-guard for a second,' he explained, `because that's my father's handwriting and I can't help but think about my father - that he died because of Voldemort.'

Hermione and Harry both nodded sympathetically. `Any more entries?' asked Harry.

Dean slid his finger down, revealing another green title, "Riley Family Artefacts".

`Does that have a viewing spell or only a reading spell?' asked Hermione breathlessly.

`Just a reading spell,' said Dean, picking up his wand once more and repeating the spell.

The book glowed with the now familiar misty light, trembling as the pages turned quickly, stopping near the end of the book.

`Riley Family Artefacts,' read Dean. He glanced nervously over at Harry and Hermione before taking a deep breath and dropping his eyes to the book. He began to read…

*

Harry and Hermione were sitting in two of the five armchairs clustered around the fire place, now and then glancing impatiently at the flames dancing in the grate.

`He's late,' said Hermione, drumming her fingers silently on the stuffed arm of her seat.

`Patience, dear,' said Verity, gazing down at them from her portrait, her expression almost sad.

`It's only a minute or two after eight,' Harry said soothingly. `He'll probably be here any tick of the - '

He stopped abruptly as the flames suddenly turned green, Hermione springing to her feet seconds before Harry did as they watched Dean step out of the fireplace.

Dean straightened, looking solemnly from Harry to Hermione before turning and gazing up at the portrait. Emrys and Verity both sat up in their rocking chairs, meeting his gaze squarely.

`So,' said Dean, `I believe you know the whereabouts of my father?'

Verity and Emrys exchanged a slow, careful glance before Verity looked back down at Dean, her face suddenly twisting into a mask of sorrow.

`I'm so sorry my dear,' she said, her voice full of anguish, `he died sometime during the night last Sunday.' She began to cry and Emrys reached over to take her hand.

Dean staggered backwards a few steps, Harry automatically reaching out to steady him. Hermione was gaping, open-mouthed, at the old couple.

`What did you say?' she whispered.

Verity however, was crying too hard to speak, so it was Emrys who answered, looking directly at Dean as he spoke.

`Your father passed away last Sunday. I'm so sorry, my boy, so sorry.'

`My father was alive?' Dean asked, his voice cracking with emotion.

`Didn't you know that? From reading the book?' asked Emrys, perplexed, once again kneeling beside his wife's rocking chair, his arm around her as she continued to cry quietly.

Dean shook his head, incredulous. `I had no idea, I just thought you would know where he was buried,' he whispered. `But he was alive? My God!'

Emrys stared at him, equally dumbfounded. `But he said it was all there - he'd put it all in there, he said so…'

`Put all what in where? In the book?' asked Hermione, baffled.

Emrys nodded. `Where else?' he asked.

Hermione looked at Harry, realisation hitting them simultaneously; it was Dean, however, who said it aloud.

`In the Pensieve.'

The three friends looked back up at Emrys. `Where did Mr Riley put his family belongings?' asked Hermione, suddenly sounding sure of herself.

`I can't tell you, I'm afraid, because -' began Emrys, but he was interrupted by his wife.

`I can,' said Verity, raising her tear-stained face to look at them, `because I'm the Secret Keeper.'

`The what?' asked Dean, feeling as though his head was filled with maniacally spinning tops.

`Secret Keeper?' repeated Harry in astonishment, `A Fidelius Charm?'

Verity nodded, looking much more composed now.

`How is that possible?' asked Hermione. `You're not actually alive!' Hermione frowned, feeling perturbed; she was certain there was some important piece of information she should remember.

`One only needs a living soul in which to place the Secret,' she explained, `and my soul remains here. My body is not living, but my soul, as all souls, remain alive. It's just that most souls do not remain earthbound and are therefore inaccessible.'

Hermione was desperate to understand as well as frustrated at still not being able to recall what she was sure was a vital piece of information. So intent was she on her own thoughts and frustration, she raised her voice slightly to speak over Dean, who was equally frustrated and desperate for more information about his father.

`But that means you can't die - that the Charm will never be broken!' she cried.

`My soul - no soul - can die, Hermione. But most souls move on when the body dies. Only those souls who choose to, remain behind. But I can, in effect, die; if all my portraits are destroyed, my soul will no longer be able to remain here - my soul will then have to move on. If that happens, the Charm will be broken.'

`I want to know where my father is!' burst out Dean. `Now!' He'd had enough of a discussion that was making no sense and which he wasn't able to focus on enough at that moment to properly understand.

`You have every right to know, my dear, and I will tell you. After I tell you a story, if that's all right.'

`Is that really necessary?' cried Dean, frustrated.

Verity nodded again. `Very necessary, it will explain many things to you, as well as to Harry and Hermione. Especially in light of the fact that we obviously misunderstood your father and what he meant by saying he'd put everything in there. We naturally assumed he meant the Book of Records, but it appears we were wrong.'

`Please, sit down,' said Emrys, as he himself sat back in his rocking chair, although his hand remained gently folded over his wife's.

Harry, Hermione and Dean sat down, pulling their three armchairs forwards a little as well as closer to each other; Hermione was seated between the two men and she and Harry also held hands as they sat and waited.

Verity gave her husband a grateful smile, squeezing his hand gently before straightening in her chair as she looked down at the three expectant faces.

`It all began -' said Verity, but she was interrupted by Hermione who suddenly launched herself out of her chair, standing and looking intently at the old woman as she cried, `Wait!'

`What is it dear?' asked Verity.

`I remember! You told us last week - Harry and I - when we asked you how you'd come by the Book of Records, you said Dean's father had asked you to look after it, before he died!'

`Is that true?' asked Dean, looking from Hermione to Verity.

`Yes, it's true, I did say that,' Verity replied. Before she could say anymore, Dean spoke again, the tone of his voice accusatory.

`So you lied? To Harry and Hermione? Or to me? Just when did he die?'

Verity looked deeply pained by Dean's words, but when she replied, her voice was steady and calm.

`You will know when you hear the story, I promise. May I begin?'

Dean sat back in his chair, his loud sigh heavy with frustration and resignation; he waved his hand at Verity in an offhand "go ahead" manner.

Harry was about to reproach him for being rude, but bit back the words, knowing it was out of character for Dean and was no doubt due only to the stress he was under.

Hermione sat down once more, saying quietly, `Go ahead, please.'

`Thank you,' said Verity, thankful for her husband's silent support as he gently, momentarily, tightened his grip on her hand. `So, it all began during the war, the first war…'

As Verity spoke, her eloquent and articulate recount made all three listeners feel as though they were present during the events she was so effortlessly describing…

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

I'd just like to share with you this humorous comment from my dear friend Kirsti (I hope you don't mind dear!) because I'm hoping that you will all echo her sentiments… Janie xoxo (plus the fact that it made me laugh, something the wonderful and brilliant Kirsti has the ability to make me do easily and often! Hugs dear!! xoxo)

Kirsti's suggestion for the Introduction for this chapter:

"Chapter 23 - In which Kirsti and all of Janie's readers are driven made with frustration at the cliffie which ends Chapter 23 and have to remind themselves that they should be happy to have another bit of Nook to enjoy and that strangling said author would, in this case, be counter-productive!! LOL!!"

So, please no strangling dear readers - I am working madly and feverishly on Chapter 24, I promise!!

-->