Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sorcerers' Nook by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sorcerers' Nook

JanieB

Author's Note

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!! And now that Christmas and New Year celebrations and socialising are behind me, it's back to work. Well, back to writing - I don't actually go back to work until the 22nd of January *Janie does happy dance* This is a longer chapter which I hope makes up a little for the long wait! Janie xoxo

SORCERERS' NOOK

By JanieB

CHAPTER TWENTY

In which Dean tells Ginny what he's learnt about his father, Harry and Hermione have an interesting meeting at the Ministry before Hermione goes home to make lunch; while she's out shopping for a few groceries, she has an unknown visitor, one that Crookshanks does not approve of and whose appearance creates a little havoc at the Ministry as Harry rushes home; slight pandemonium ensues before Harry and Hermione are finally left alone to have lunch…which they don't end up having because, well... you'll see...

When Dean arrived back at the Burrow, it was to find Ginny sitting on the old sofa, waiting for him. She rose swiftly to her feet as he stepped out of the fireplace.

`How was it?' she asked.

`Let's sit down; I have a lot to tell you. Where are your mum and dad?'

`Bill Flooed just after you left and they've gone to see him and Fleur,' Ginny replied as she sat down once more, Dean beside her.

Dean nodded. `I think that's probably a good thing. There are some things I don't want anyone else to know just yet.'

Ginny gave him a puzzled look.

`Firstly, did anyone ask you today about a wizard named Rafferty?'

Ginny frowned thoughtfully as she shook her head. `No, they only wanted to know about the argument with Blakely and about our working relationship.'

As Dean watched, he saw Ginny's eyes widen with realisation. `Rafferty! Malfoy!' she gasped.

Dean nodded. `Hermione told me.'

Ginny was shaking her head in stunned disbelief. `I can't believe I forgot about that! I wonder if he's involved in any way?'

`Chances are pretty good, I'd say,' remarked Dean. `And it's not really surprising you didn't think of him. You only met him once, briefly, didn't you?' Ginny nodded as Dean continued, `And you haven't had a chance to think or talk about anything else today except Blakely and the argument.'

`They'll want to ask me about that, now, I suppose,' Ginny said wearily.

`Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if they show up tomorrow. I imagine they'll be desperate to get their hands on Malfoy; he's been on the wanted list for a long time now.'

Ginny yawned, her tiredness increasing as she thought of living through another repeat of that day.

`There's something else I found out tonight, too,' said Dean slowly. `But it can wait, if you're too tired.'

Ginny shook her head. `What is it?'

Dean took a deep breath; he felt he was probably in a state of shock at what Harry and Hermione had told him about his father. He hadn't yet had time to react to the news and suspected he hadn't yet truly grasped the magnitude and significance of what they'd told him and said as much to Ginny.

`What on earth did they tell you?' she asked sharply.

So Dean, relieved at Ginny's readiness to listen to him, recounted what he'd been told. As he did so, the enormity of the situation seemed to hit him with great force. He dropped his head into his hands with an anguished groan, and Ginny felt her heart go out to him. She moved closer so that she was able to put her hands on his, pulling gently at them so that he had to look at her.

`Dean, it sounds as though your dad was a brave man. It must've broken his heart to leave you and your mum that way. But it's probably the reason you're alive today.'

Dean nodded mutely in agreement. `But surely there must've been some way he could've let mum know!' he burst out.

As Dean let his hands drop to his lap, his gaze fell with them; Ginny retained her hold on them and he marvelled at the wonderful feel of Ginny's slender white hands.

`I don't think we can quite imagine how bad things were for so long in the first war,' Ginny told him. `Your dad probably wasn't prepared to take even the tiniest risk when it came to you and your mother.'

Dean nodded again. `I'll have to find out more,' he said, looking up at Ginny. `I want to know as much as I can before I talk to mum about it. Harry and Hermione said I could read the book, that it's mine now.'

`How were they?' Ginny asked softly, dropping her gaze to their still clasped hands.

`Strangely enough, they didn't seem any different from usual. I think I expected - well, something, although I'm not sure what.' Dean shrugged. `They just seemed like Harry and Hermione.'

Ginny made a sound that was supposed to be a nonchalant chuckle, but instead sounded like a moan.

`Damn it, Ginny,' said Dean gruffly, as he let go of her hands and put his arms around her, hugging her to him.

`I'm all right, really,' came Ginny's muffled reassurance.

`Hermione sends her love, by the way, and she and Harry said to let them know if there's anything they can do.'

Ginny's sardonic laughter almost turned to tears, but she pulled herself together and took a few deep breaths before sitting back, Dean's arms still loosely around her. Enough! she told herself firmly. It's over.

`That's very thoughtful of them,' she said. She and Dean looked at each other for a second, then they both burst out laughing, the ironic kind of laughter not caused by humour, but by the need to ease accumulated tensions.

`Enough of Harry and Hermione and everything else,' Dean said, his heart lighter. `For the rest of the night, we're just going to worry about us. Hot chocolate?'

Ginny gave him a small, grateful smile. `Hot chocolate sounds perfect.'

*

The next morning, after Flooing the Auror Office and speaking with Gawain Robards to ensure it was all right for them to do so, Harry and Hermione Flooed to the Ministry and quickly made their way to Level Two.

There they found Robards talking with a team of two Aurors and three Law Enforcement officers. As Harry and Hermione approached, Robards waved at them in greeting.

`Morning, Harry, Hermione,' he said. `You know everyone I think, Harry?'

Harry nodded as he and Hermione greeted the Department Head before turning and introducing Hermione to the others; indicating the two Aurors, both of whom were tall and rangy and appeared to be about the same age, Harry firstly introduced the Auror with very dark, long hair, worn back in a ponytail and eyes as dark as his hair. `Hermione Granger, Manny Cleaver,' said Harry, then turning to the other Auror, who had very short, sandy-coloured hair and a beard, `and this is Eric Rundle.' Hermione shook both their hands as they each murmured greetings, then turned to the three Law Enforcement Officers, whose demeanour seemed more relaxed than that of the Aurors.

Harry introduced each of the LEOs, as they were commonly known, and Hermione shook their hands in turn. Fallon Turner was a willowy, thirty-something witch with short, brown hair, Drew Grant, with thick, wavy blonde hair and blue eyes that twinkled in a way that reminded Hermione of Albus Dumbledore, was only slightly taller than she was while Raymond Butler, the eldest of the three, had thinning, grey hair and was about the same height as Harry.

Robards asked them all to move to the room beside his office, which held a large table surrounded by a variety of chairs. As they did so, a young witch appeared in the doorway and said that Auror Rundle was needed on Level Nine.

`Get back if you can,' Robards told Rundle, `but if not, Manny will fill you in later.'

Rundle nodded and left, Robards turning back to the others. `Take a seat,' he told them, moving to the head of the table. Harry and Hermione sat on Robards' left along with the lone Auror, while Fallon, Drew and Raymond sat on his right.

Once Robards had established the extent of Harry and Hermione's knowledge of the current situation, Harry went on to explain that he believed Draco Malfoy had disguised himself and was using the name Malcolm Rafferty. Both he and Hermione were somewhat surprised to find that the Department Head, as well as the Auror and the LEOs, were fully aware of this and to their further astonishment, had been tailing Malfoy for some time, using him as a "guide"; his movements and contacts had provided them with a lot of valuable information and some new sources.

`However, in the last couple of months, things have changed,' said Cleaver.

Hermione gave Harry a questioning glance and he nodded by way of reply, knowing she was wondering whether this was the same Cleaver that had been injured by an old spell a few weeks previously.

`In what way?' asked Harry.

Manny Cleaver answered, his voice deep and low. `About two months ago, Malfoy met with a man who we've been unable to identify or find due to the fact that he was wearing a Cloak of Concealment, an extremely old and rare artefact. After this meeting, we followed Malfoy, who returned to his home and then promptly Disapparated. Because we'd put an Apparition Trace on him -'

`But that's forbidden!' cried Hermione, shocked.

Cleaver's dark eyes bored into Hermione's as he said evenly, `Naturally, we obtained special dispensation in this case. And are you aware, Miss Granger, that an Apparition Trace can only be used once? Each application of one not only requires special permission, it is a very complicated spell and there are only a handful of witches and wizards capable of casting it. All of whom work for the Ministry, I might add.'

Hermione, regretting her impetuous outburst, nodded as she said quietly, `I see; I'm sorry.'

`And I see that I should never underestimate your knowledge, Miss Granger; very few people know that Apparition Traces even exist.' One side of Cleaver's mouth curved upwards in a small smile before he returned to his account.

`The Apparition Trace enabled LEOs Turner and Grant to follow him. They found themselves in a place that I know you have previously been, Harry, and I will now let Fallon and Drew take it from here.'

Fallon Turner began to speak mere seconds after Cleaver finished, her narrative smooth and without hesitation. `We were standing on top of a roughly flattened boulder that rose out of the sea about twenty feet from a high, sheer cliff. We could see Malfoy swimming towards a small crevice in the cliff face. We immediately slid into the water and followed him.'

Harry felt an unpleasant prickling sensation as he listened; he could clearly picture the place Fallon was describing. He fought off the unwanted memories that accompanied that picture, knowing he needed to concentrate on what was being said.

`We swam into a tunnel that had obviously been modified, no doubt by magic. It was only about three feet wide in the cliff face, but just inside the entrance, it widened to about six feet; the walls and the rounded ceiling of this tunnel were perfectly smooth. Malfoy's wand was lit, enabling us to slowly follow him. The tunnel curved to the left and for a few seconds we lost sight of him. As we swam around the curve, we saw him rising from the water, and in the light from his wand, we watched as he walked up about three steps carved into the rock and stopped. He appeared to be standing inches from the cave wall. We moved as close as we dared, only our heads above water. Malfoy spoke, but unfortunately we weren't able to make out what he said. Then a door appeared in the rock face; by the light of Malfoy's wand, we could see it was made of metal. The door was opened by a cloaked and hooded figure; Malfoy entered and the door closed behind him. The instant it was shut, the door vanished once more.'

Fallon stopped talking and looked at Drew Grant sitting beside her; he nodded and took up the narrative.

`We found that the steps actually began in the water as we moved forward. We approached the spot Malfoy had been standing, both our wands lit. We detected the spell of concealment put on the door, however, we didn't remove it for fear of discovery; we didn't wish Malfoy and anyone else behind that door to know that we had followed him.'

Harry frowned. `There was no door, hidden or otherwise, when I went there with Dumbledore,' he said.

Drew nodded. `That's right. The Dark One has had his Disciples make a number of modifications,' he told him.

Hermione had been looking at Harry; however, on hearing Drew's words, her head snapped around and she stared at him.

`So you knew about the Dark One and his Disciples before the meeting at Hogwarts?' she asked, her eyes darting from Drew back to Robards.

Robards replied, his steady gaze resting on Hermione.

`We had a Dark wizard in custody who babbled frequently about someone he was terrified of and who he called "the Dark One". However, that's all he ever spoke of and so until the meeting at Hogwarts, we didn't connect the Dark One he'd rambled on about with those we now know are his Disciples. Also, until you told us, we didn't know that the lake within that cave is connected to the Dark Realm. As you can imagine, we then saw Malfoy's trip and all the other comings and goings to that cave in a whole new light.' Robards hesitated and Harry took advantage of the momentary pause.

`So you've made more trips to the cave?' he asked.

Robards looked at Harry; Harry could see he was weighing up his answer. Finally, he nodded.

`Once we knew where it was, we naturally didn't need a Trace on Malfoy. Unfortunately, we've not yet been able to penetrate beyond that door.'

`So it wasn't until the meeting at Hogwarts that you became fully aware of the Dark One and his Disciples?' asked Harry tersely. Without even looking at her, he knew Hermione was thinking the same thing he was: Just exactly how much and what had the Ministry known before he'd received that fateful letter.

Robards instantly knew what Harry was getting at. `I know what you're probably thinking Harry, but no, we didn't know the Dark One truly existed before you received that letter - or before the meeting at Hogwarts. We did know that there was some sort of group apparently living in the cave; it was under surveillance within twenty-four hours of Fallon and Drew's return. And by the way, to this day, we have only ever heard the Disciples and their visitors refer to their "master"; we've not once heard any of them refer to the "Dark One". Since that first time when we followed him, Malfoy has made regular visits and he's not the only one. I'll let Manny continue from here, as he's the head of surveillance in this case.'

Cleaver gave Robards a nod of acknowledgement as he stood up out of habit; at large meetings, it was then easier for everyone to see him.

`In those two months between Fallon and Drew's initial visit to the cave and the meeting at Hogwarts, we basically just tracked all movements to and from the cave. One thing we've learnt is that only the lesser Disciples and visitors are left to swim from the rock to the cave, or from the cave to the rock to Disapparate; there would naturally be Anti-Apparition Spells in place within the tunnel and the cave itself. We were surprised when we first saw one of the Disciples emerge from the cave in a small wooden dinghy. It was obviously propelled by magic and when he reached the rock and stepped out to Disapparate, the boat vanished. Within weeks, Malfoy was also using the dinghy. Apparently, as far as we can ascertain, a special Summoning Charm is used which causes the boat to appear, while a Vanishing Spell is used to banish it.'

`So your surveillance didn't reveal much more than that prior to the meeting at Hogwarts?' asked Harry.

`Unfortunately, no,' replied Cleaver.

Hermione spoke then. `Excuse me, may I just ask something?'

`Certainly, Miss Granger,' replied Cleaver.

`Mr Robards said you had a Dark wizard in custody. Is he still alive?'

Cleaver and Robards both shook their heads. `He died a few days before the meeting; on the Monday before, to be exact,' Cleaver informed her.

`What from?' asked Hermione.

`His heart gave out,' Cleaver replied.

`Was he old, then?' she asked.

`Why are you so interested in this wizard, Miss Granger, if I might ask?'

Hermione bit her lip. She was very curious as to how and why the wizard had died, certain his death was somehow connected with the Dark One, but she didn't want to reveal that Harry had discussed him with her since she was certain it was classified. She didn't think Harry saying "but I tell Hermione everything" would be an acceptable explanation. As she looked back at Cleaver, she was very aware of Harry's gaze resting on her, willing her not to divulge how much she knew about the now-deceased wizard.

Shrugging, Hermione said, `I was just curious as to how he knew of the Dark One and whether that knowledge had anything to do with his death.' She just knew that if she dropped her gaze and looked, she'd see appreciation and admiration in Harry's eyes.

Cleaver had a speculative gleam in his eye, looking from Hermione to Harry and back again before he said, `We believe it did, although there's no way of proving it, I'm afraid.'

`I see,' replied Hermione. `I'm sorry, I've diverted the conversation; you were telling us about the surveillance.'

`There's nothing much else to tell, I'm afraid,' said Cleaver.

Gawain Robards stood up as Cleaver spoke, and before dismissing the three LEO's, ascertained who was on surveillance duty for the next thirty-six hours.

`I'm taking over at midday,' Butler advised him, `then Fallon's on duty from midnight until midday tomorrow and Drew the shift after that.'

`Fine,' said Robards, `and you'll be reporting in on Monday morning?'

Butler nodded and Robards turned to Cleaver, `You don't mind if I sit in?'

`Of course not,' replied Cleaver with a wry grin, `you're the boss. Eight thirty, my office.'

Fallon, Drew and Raymond took their leave and as the door closed behind them, Robards asked Harry if he'd mind seeing Hermione home, then returning for a short meeting with himself and Cleaver.

As they made their way through the Ministry to the Atrium, Harry took Hermione's hand and smiled down at her. `Sorry I doubted you,' he told her. `I should've known you'd realise most of what I tell you is classified without me ever having to say so.'

Hermione gave him a cheeky grin, her eyes dancing. `I think I can find it in my heart to forgive you,' she told him, `especially since you won't have any qualms about telling me everything you hear in that meeting you're having shortly. You know I'm so trustworthy.'

Harry laughed, quashing a sudden urge to kiss Hermione there and then. Instead, he dropped her hand and put his arm around her waist, pulling her to him, a thrill rushing through him because he was able to do so. He leant down and whispered in her ear. `If you keep looking at me like that, be warned you may find yourself getting soundly kissed.'

`Is that a threat or a promise?' Hermione asked, gazing innocently at Harry.

`Definitely a promise,' Harry replied, his voice low and intense, causing Hermione's breath to catch in her throat; a warm tingling sensation spread rapidly throughout her whole body at the sound of Harry's voice and the thought of kissing him.

They stopped in front of one of the Atrium fireplaces, and as a witch stepped out of a green-lit fireplace on the opposite wall behind them, giving them a curious glance, Harry dropped his arm, pushing his hands into his jeans pockets.

`I'll see you at home,' he said, his voice husky with suppressed emotion.

Hermione nodded, automatically reaching up to push at his unruly black locks. As her fingers brushed his forehead, she felt something akin to electricity race through her body and she quickly dropped her hand.

`I'll make some lunch,' she said, her voice a little unsteady.

`I'll see you soon then,' said Harry, giving her a smile that made her heart skip a beat as she turned to Floo home, giving Harry a last wave as she stepped into the fireplace.

*

When Hermione arrived home, she was amused to find Crookshanks looking quite disgruntled due to the presence of Ron's owl, Pigwidgeon. He was perched on the mantel piece above Crookshanks, twittering ecstatically at his favourite feline. With a sympathetic smile for Crookshanks, Hermione crossed the room and removed the note from Pigwidgeon's leg as he hooted happily at her. It was a note from Ron saying he'd received their message last night that the meeting they'd planned with Dean, Verity and Emrys was postponed and they'd be in touch. Ron's postscript had her smiling: "Seamus is driving us all crazy `cause he just doesn't shut up raving about his bloody Kenmare Kestrels! Just wait till we get to Chudley…"

After giving Pigwidgeon some water and food, Hermione saw him off before firstly setting the table, after which she rummaged amongst the contents of the fridge and the pantry, looking for something she could use to make lunch. However, there was no inspiration to be had from the few ingredients available, and so with a sigh, she told Crookshanks she was going to have to walk up to the corner; Crookshanks gave a rather disinterested miaow in reply and Hermione shook her head, rolling her eyes affectionately at her pet.

Picking up her purse and wand, Hermione left, humming to herself, buoyed by the thought of having lunch with Harry and spending time alone with him. Crookshanks watched her go, then with a languid purr, tucked his head in and once more went back to sleep. However, five minutes later he was startled awake by the sound of the front door opening. Instinctively, he kept his head down and peered through slitted eyes towards the front door - or the top half of it, which was all he could see above the back of the sofa. He wanted to hiss spectacularly at the cloaked figure that stood in the doorway because he knew, as only a Kneazle - or part-Kneazle - can: that the person who had just entered his mistress's flat was both unsavoury and suspicious and had no right being there! He kept as still as possible and watched as the figure headed along the hallway to Ginny's bedroom. A few minutes later it reappeared, heading in the opposite direction, towards the front of the building - to Hermione's room. Once again it was only minutes before it silently appeared near the front door, then without hesitation, made its way across to the kitchen. Crookshanks, now in sight of the intruder should he or she look up, closed his eyes and kept perfectly still; he could clearly hear the sound of cupboard doors opening and closing and drawers being pulled open and their contents riffled; then, following an exclamation of sour frustration from the interloper, a drawer was slammed shut, making the ginger cat jump.

A foul-sounding stream of unintelligible words assaulted Crookshanks' ears and he risked opening one eye to see the cloaked figure sweep from the flat, leaving the front door open.

*

Harry and Gawain Robards both stood, Harry still mulling over what he'd learnt in the last half hour or so; Cleaver had already left, muttering under his breath about demanding wives and the boredom of shopping.

`I'll see you Monday sometime then, Harry,' Robards told him as they headed for the door.

Harry nodded. `Hermione and I will be working down in her department from about seven-thirty or eight. We'll have Dean with us, so we're hoping to learn more with his help. We'll come up and see you as soon as we're finished.'

As they paused just outside the door of Robards' office, Harry felt his wand vibrate rapidly in the special pocket on the side of his jeans.

Alarmed and puzzled, he pulled it out, Robards staring at both him and his wand. Then a small, green-tinged sphere formed at the tip of his wand, growing to the size of a small cantaloupe; there was something inside, although Robards couldn't make it out.

Harry stared into the sphere, comprehension dawning as he took in what was there. With a single, terse expletive he turned and ran, shoving his wand back into its pocket as he did so.

Robards called after him, but Harry simply yelled, `Later!' and kept running. He stopped in front of the lifts, frantic and agitated to find none waiting. Knowing he'd get an earful later for doing so, Harry turned on the spot and Disapparated, the Atrium clearly pictured in his mind. The second he reappeared, he strode across to one of the fireplaces, the sound of the alarms he'd set off ringing in his ears. However, he took no notice of them as he stepped into the closest fireplace, his voice taut with fear as he said, `Sorcerers' Nook!'

*

As Harry leapt out of the fireplace at the Nook, Frewin screeched in fright, flapping his wings. Harry took no more notice of him than he had of the alarms at the Ministry, but before he could move, the front door opened and Hermione walked in, shopping bags in hand.

Chaos - albeit momentary - ensued.

Hermione stared in utter surprise as Harry virtually yelled out her name and ran across the room towards her. At the same time, Esmerelda came bustling out of her flat, disconcerted and troubled by the noise, giving a cry of fright when Frewin began screeching again, incited by Harry's shouting of Hermione's name.

As Esmerelda made her way towards them, Harry, who had already reached Hermione, grasped her arms, his green eyes rather wild behind his glasses as he asked her repeatedly whether she was all right. Hermione, utterly bewildered, was trying to assure Harry she was fine, at the same time watching Esmerelda approach - who at that moment reminded her strongly of Molly Weasley in a flap - over Harry's right shoulder, whilst over his left shoulder was the unusual sight of Frewin marching up and down his perch, wings flapping madly as he screeched incessantly. Before anyone could say or do anything more, Dean and Neville came flying down the stairs three at a time, their startled expressions giving way to utter amazement as they reached the bottom step and they, too, beheld the scene that had Verity and Emrys covering their ears and cowering in their rocking chairs, their eyes screwed shut, regardless of who might see them.

Dean and Neville moved swiftly. Neville crossed the distance between the stairs and Harry and Hermione, then reached around Harry, took the shopping bags Hermione was carrying and put them aside before turning to reassure Esmerelda; Dean made his way over to Frewin, taking a Doogle's Deluxe Owl Treat from the box on the mantel piece on the way, speaking softly to the distressed owl as he offered him his favourite food. Esmerelda gave Neville a grateful smile, then reached over and pulled at Harry's fingers which were still gripping Hermione's arms, pointing out gently that he was close to cutting off Hermione's blood supply.

Harry stood, his breathing ragged, his heart pounding; Hermione, after rubbing her arms for a few seconds, took his hands, quickly thanking Esmerelda and Neville before asking Harry what in the name of Dumbledore's Beard was going on.

In the intervening moments, things had calmed down considerably. Dean had joined them and the five of them stood together as silence reigned once more; Frewin was now quiet, Dean having left him happily munching on his treat; Harry and Hermione stood, their hands clasped, with Dean, Neville and Esmerelda standing around them. Verity and Emrys had also recovered and were now sitting back in their rocking chairs, appearing as though they were sleeping, as usual, although if anyone had cared to look closely, there were quite a few wrinkles in Verity's usually smooth-as-glass-apron.

`I'm sorry,' said Harry to Hermione quietly, `but the charm I put in place on your flat - that I'd actually forgotten about in the last few weeks - was activated just as I was about to leave Robards and - well, here I am…'

`Charm? Activated?' Hermione shook her head, her brows drawn together in a confused frown.

Harry took a deep breath. `Just after I received that letter I put a Comperio Charm on your flat. Just in case. Because I was worried.'

As he finished, he felt Hermione's hands tighten around his fingers and wondered if he'd done the wrong thing in casting the spell without telling her.

Hermione gazed at him steadily, her eyes unreadable.

Harry felt panic rising within in. `Hermione, I'm so sorry, I know I should've told you, but what with one thing and another, I just -'

The corners of Hermione's mouth lifted slightly. `Harry, it's just so typical of you! I should throttle you, honestly!'

Harry groaned. `Feel free to throttle me as hard as you like! I'm really sorry, Hermione and, uh, well…' Harry glanced nervously, first at Neville, then Dean, before his gaze came to rest on Esmerelda.

`Harry!' exclaimed Hermione, catching on first. `You didn't!'

Harry looked down at her, somewhat shamefaced. `I did,' he said quietly.

Hermione groaned, her eyes closing as she dropped her head back. Then she raised her head, shaking it as she looked around at everyone.

`You know what he's done, don't you?' she asked, sounding amused despite her exasperation.

`What?' asked Dean, perplexed.

`He's put a Comperio Charm on all -?' she made it a question, looking at Harry for confirmation; Harry nodded and Hermione continued, `on all of our flats.'

`What's that?' asked Neville.

Hermione sighed, and apparently not hearing Neville's question, said, `Do you know that for most people, it's a real challenge to carry one Comperio Charm, let alone five!'

`So what's a Comperio Charm?' asked Dean and Esmerelda simultaneously.

Hermione looked at Harry who appeared somewhat abashed. `Shall I?' she asked quietly, and Harry nodded.

`It's a charm of protection, in a way,' said Hermione. `It lets the caster know if someone - or even something - who doesn't belong, enters the place that's been charmed. It's quite a feat to maintain such a charm on one place - but five?!' Hermione gave Harry a look that was part exasperation, part amazement and part admiration.

`So the one on Hermione's flat was activated?' Neville asked Harry.

Harry nodded. `Just as I was taking leave of Robards. Then I, erm…well, I wasn't thinking straight…'

`Not thinking straight? What d'you mean?' asked Dean.

`I, uh, well, I left the Ministry in rather a hurry and erm…'

Hermione let go of Harry's hands, putting her now clenched fists on her hips as she actually stamped her foot. `Harry! Out with it! What did you do?' she demanded.

Harry stiffened and looked at her defensively.

`The charm was activated as I was saying goodbye to Robards, and because there wasn't a lift waiting, I - well, I was in a hurry, and I was really worried about you, so I just Apparated to the Atrium and -'

`You Apparated inside the Ministry?' Hermione, Dean and Neville all spoke at the same time.

Harry had the grace to look a little guilty, shrugging as if to say, what-else-could-I-do?-I-didn't-really-have-a-choice.

Dean and Neville just stared at him, speechless. Hermione, however, was far from speechless…

`Harry Potter! Do you realise that by doing so, you have created chaos and havoc? On a Saturday no less, when there's hardly anyone there? And that the damage to the Ministry's protective spells will take a lot of witches and wizards quite some time to repair? And just out of curiosity, while you were at it, why didn't you just Apparate straight here?'

Harry crossed his arms, frowning. `And what if you'd been in danger, Hermione? What if I was able to save your life because of that charm? What then? Would the Ministry worry about damage to their precious charms then?' Hermione sighed, her hands falling to her sides as Harry continued, `And it was just sort of automatic to think of getting to the Atrium first; from years of working there I guess. It was like a programmed reflex.'

Hermione had no answer for any of this, but luckily Neville coughed politely and pointed out that since the charm that had been activated was the one cast on Hermione's flat, had anyone actually checked her flat?

This galvanised everyone into action and there was a mass exodus for the stairs, led by Harry. When they reached the second floor, he ran around from the top of the stairs and brought everyone up short when he stopped abruptly, arrested by the sight of Hermione's door standing open.

Crookshanks emerged through the doorway as they stood there, miaowing plaintively, and Hermione rushed forward and picked him up, crooning soothing words to her pet.

Harry drew his wand and moved towards the open door, at the same time informing everyone he would inspect Hermione's flat and they were to stay right where they were. Everyone obediently waited without speaking as Harry went firstly to Hermione's room, then to Ginny's and finally the kitchen, from where he could also see the dining and living areas.

He looked across at them and said, `Nothing,' sounding disappointed. `Although, whoever it was went through all the drawers and cupboards I think; you'll have to check later to see if anything was taken,' he finished, and as he looked at Hermione, he felt a sudden weakness assail him. Thank Merlin you're safe! he thought to himself, completely grateful in that moment that he'd put the charm in place.

`What on earth would they have been looking for?' asked Hermione, as she walked through the front door. Everyone followed, eyes everywhere as though they expected to see some shadow of the intruder.

`I can't even begin to imagine,' said Harry. `And just so you know, if any of you can't put on your own extra protective spells, I'll be more than happy to do it for you.' He gave a crooked smile then before adding, `Or Hermione, from whom I've learnt a lot about protective enchantments.' They shared a glance that was crammed with memories of their time together living in a tent during their search for Voldemort's Horcruxes.

A discussion followed of which spells they should all use, Harry and Hermione both giving advice and agreeing to check the enchantments once in place. Once everyone was satisfied with their choices and decisions, Hermione offered to make some tea for all of them. Harry was privately relieved when everyone thanked her and declined; they had all been in the middle of something when the ruckus downstairs had occurred and were eager to return to their own flats.

As Harry shut the door behind Esmerelda, the last one to leave, Hermione crossed to the fireplace and put Crookshanks back in his basket; she'd not let him go since she'd first picked him up, knowing he would have seen the intruder and that he was very disturbed by the whole situation. Harry turned from the door and walked towards her, pushing his hands through his hair, his expression one of mingled concern and relief. Hermione began to walk towards Harry and they met almost in the middle of the room, beside the table. Harry reached out and pulled her to him with a soft moan, Hermione wrapping her arms around his waist and laying her head on his chest.

`Thank Merlin you're all right,' he whispered hoarsely. `I felt sick when the charm was activated and I saw it was your flat.'

`All's well that ends well,' said Hermione soothingly.

Harry lifted his head and looked down at her, Hermione tilting her head back to meet his gaze.

`It hasn't ended yet, though, has it?' he asked, his voice sounding hollow.

`You think that intruder was connected with the Dark One or his Disciples?' asked Hermione.

Harry gave a small shrug. `I could be jumping to conclusions because we're so focused on him. I don't really know; I just know I don't want this to happen again.' Hermione felt him shudder and in that moment understood completely how Harry felt because she knew how she'd feel if the situation had been reversed. Harry saw the understanding in her eyes, murmuring, `Hermione, only you -' but he didn't get any further because Hermione raised herself on her toes and covered his mouth with hers, cutting off his words. Harry immediately forgot everything, immersing himself once more in the blissful sensations he experienced each time they kissed.

Perhaps it was relief mixed with suppressed need that caused the fiercely intense wave of desire that suddenly swept through Harry; his arms tightened around Hermione, one hand sliding down to sit splayed on her lower back as he pushed himself against her. Regardless, Hermione's desire seemed to match his own and Harry could feel himself reaching a dangerous point - the point of no return - as both Hermione's hands slid down his back to cup - knock, knock! The alien sound hardly made any impression on the passionately involved couple.

Knock, knock!

An unwelcome sound began to penetrate their escalating desire.

Knock, knock! `Hermione! It's just me, Esmerelda! I have your shopping bags - you left them downstairs.'

As the words penetrated their brains, their lips parted reluctantly and they groaned in unison, arms and hands loosening and dropping unwillingly.

`Coming!' managed Hermione. Harry raised one eyebrow, an amused smirk lifting one corner of his mouth. Hermione stared at him, then burst out laughing, Harry quickly joining her.

Knock, knock!

`Oh, for pity's sake!' gasped Hermione as she turned and headed towards the door. Harry quickly pulled out a chair and sat down, grimacing in discomfort; he didn't want to shock dear old Esmerelda.

Hermione had managed to regain a reasonable amount of composure by the time she opened the door, thanking Esmerelda and assuring her she was fine, that she'd just been in the bathroom. Looking pointedly at Harry, sitting at the table, Esmerelda said archly, `Then why couldn't Harry answer the door?' Without waiting for an answer, she surprised Hermione with a knowing look before taking her leave, a small smile of understanding playing around her lips.

Hermione closed the door, one hand remaining on the doorknob, the other holding her shopping bags as she leant forward, dropping her head to rest on the door. She began to laugh again and she could hear Harry doing the same. Turning and putting her back against the door, her laughter subsiding to a wide smile, Hermione looked across at Harry, held up the shopping bags and said, `Hungry?'

Their eyes locked. Hermione's smile slowly faded as she lowered the shopping bags, watching as though hypnotised while Harry stood and walked towards her. Her heart was racing as she waited, still leaning against the door, unable to move. When Harry reached her, he took the bags from her unresisting fingers and put them down as he said, `Hungry? Yes, I am. But lunch can wait just a little longer, I think…'

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

I'm sure you'll be very pleased to hear that the next chapter continues on immediately from this one - and I should be posting it within the week (yay!). Cheers dears! Janie xoxo

-->