Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Wash the BLACK Dog by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Wash the BLACK Dog

Konflickted

Chapter Twenty-One: Confessions

"I can't believe you kissed her," Alice comment to James as he got ready to do his patrol before joining the Marauders at the Shrieking Shack. She was sitting in the common room, despite the late hour. James had hoped that he would have begun patrolling an hour previous, but he had been held up. He didn't want to have Alice hold him up any longer, but he couldn't just leave. His curiosity rooted him to the common room.

"What?" James asked.

"Lily told me that you kissed her rather heatedly in the potions classroom," Alice said grinning.

"When did she tell you?" James asked.

"On the pitch," Alice said. She laughed. "I can't believe you kissed her when you know she took a potion to forget you. That is asking for heart break."

"Well, I never wanted to end it between us, ever," James told Alice. He sat down on the comfortable chair that Lily frequently. "She broke up with me the day I was going to tell her that I never wanted to be with out her."

"How do you remember that?" Alice asked him watching him with quiet awe.

"What do you mean?" James asked.

"Well, your friends gave you the Amnesia potion, and well, I thought that you took it. You haven't been so spastic around Lily," Alice said. "Sirius and Remus had told me that they gave you the potion at your request. Everyone assumed you had taken it."

"Well, you see, I was going to take. Really, I was! I actually had the rim to my mouth and she interrupted me," James said. "Up until that moment, I wanted to forget that she wanted to forget me."

"Who interrupted you?" Alice asked confused.

"Lily, of course," James said. He raked his hand through his hair. "We started talking and she kind of talked me out of it. I mean she had no idea that it was her I was trying to forget, but she still talked me out of it."

"Oh," Alice said with her eyes wide.

"I was going wait patiently until her potion wore off and then try to explain everything to her. I was going to make her understand. I need her," James said quietly. He sighed. "But, my friends thought that I had taken the potion, much like you did, and when she started to come out of her own they made her take more. They didn't want things to change, and they didn't want me to hurt."

"James, really, have you told her this?" Alice asked. James looked at her skeptically.

"Her potion hasn't worn off, and the antidote isn't ready yet," James said frustrated. He laughed bitterly. "She would look at me like I was crazy."

"But, have you tried?" Alice asked. James shook his head.

"There is no point," James said. He rose to his feet. "I have to go on patrol."

"Think about it," Alice begged as he left the common room.

-->