Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Wash the BLACK Dog by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Wash the BLACK Dog

Konflickted

Chapter Six: The Halloween Ball

Lily kept her distance over the next couple of weeks, missing patrols because she was still serving her detention. She was thrilled that her last one was on Halloween night, though she nearly missed the Halloween feast. She hurried to the table, nearly sitting on James as she took a seat at the table. He scooted quickly before she sat down. Thanking him, Lily started to eat at once, starved from all of the manual labor and hard work. She barely got half way through her meal when the tables cleared, leaving her less than satisfied.

She sighed as the Great Hall was prepared and decorated with flicks of wands from the decorating committee for the Halloween Ball. She wasn't starved, but she really wished she could have had more to eat for dinner. Shrugging, she started walking around, watching the love stuck students of Hogwarts having a wonderful Halloween Ball.

"Do you want to dance?" A tiny first year asked Lily. Lily grinned and shook her head, amazed at the cockiness of some of the first years. Lily patrolled the dance floor, keeping an eye out for students who were not maintaining proper proximity. She wasn't surprised to see James goofing off with the Marauders. Sighing, she walked over to them.

"Can I talk to you?" Lily asked. Sirius and Remus shot James the `thumbs-up' sign.

"Sure," James said coolly as Sirius whistled and cat-called.

"You know, you are supposed to be setting an example," Lily chastised gently.

"I am," James defended with a slight smile on his face. She brushed the stray strands of her hair behind her ear.

"A positive one, James," Lily said sighing. She knew she was fighting a battle he had already won. There was no point.

"Dance with me, Lily," James requested as he took her hand. Lily shook her head and extracted her hand from him.

"I have a job to do," Lily snapped. She stalked away from him and broke up a group of kids that were getting entirely too friendly. Shrugging, James rejoined the Marauders and their high jinks. Lily glanced over at James rather reflexively a few times, but didn't speak to him again about being a proper leader.

-->