Unofficial Portkey Archive

Voldemort's Heir by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Voldemort's Heir

Konflickted

~Chapter Eleven~

Dissolution of the House of Weasley

"Hermione, what are you still doing here?" Harry asked as he entered the office. The lights were out, but he knew she was there. He had a way of knowing whenever she was near him. He knew that she hated that about him, she could never sneak up on him.

"Um," Hermione said with a rather stuffy sound to her. Harry could tell that something was wrong and he tipped his wand to desk light near her desk in the office they shared. The room filled with light. She was sitting at her desk, her back to him. She was leaning forward, not willing to look at him.

"Hermione? What's wrong?" Harry asked, his voice deep with concern. Hermione turned around slowly, her eyes were red and swollen. She looked as if she had been crying for a while before Harry had turned up.

"It's Ron," Hermione squeaked out before burying her face in her hands. Harry dropped his brief case and rushed to her side.

"Whatever it is, you can tell me," Harry said as he gathered her in his arms. Hermione trembled and picked a piece of parchment up off the desk. Harry hesitantly took the paper from her. It was a ministry issued paper, and at first he thought that she was being dismissed from employment. He looked it over, becoming more confused and enraged as he read on.

"He is asking me for a divorce, Harry," Hermione clarified the technical and formal language of the letter. Harry stood there, his mouth gaping open.

"Why?" Harry asked with great outrage. If Hermione was his wife, he knew divorce would be the last thing on his mind.

"He didn't say, he just showed up with some ministry officials and handed me the notice. As if I would curse him, Harry," Hermione wept. Harry went to put his arm around her but she pushed him away. "I just want to be alone right now."

"Where will you stay?" Harry asked. Hermione grabbed a tissue and dabbed her eyes.

"He's moved his stuff to a room at the Leaky Cauldron," Hermione said through her tears. She tried to force a smile, but found the attempt most uncomfortable. "We haven't decided who is going to break it to the children. Hugo and Rose aren't going to understand this."

"There is no rush to tell them, Hermione," Harry assured her. "Maybe Ron will come to his senses?"

"I don't think so," Hermione said shaking her head. She started crying again, fat teardrops racing down her cheeks. "I don't know what made him think we couldn't work it out."

"Do you think he knew about us?" Harry asked. He hated to ask, but knew he must. Hermione shook her head.

"No, I know he couldn't have," Hermione said. "He is terrible at Occulmency, and I did gather that much before he realized what I was doing."

"Oh, Hermione, you know things are going to be ok," Harry assured her. Hermione laughed bitterly and blew her nose.

"Sure it will," Hermione said rather stuffily.

"You know, our house is always open," Harry offered. Hermione burst into a fresh round of tears. The last thing she wanted to be reminded of was that her marriage was over, yet Harry still had Ginny.

"You and Ginny have been so good to me," Hermione said softly. Harry hated that he had brought Ginny up first, and that Hermione had reminded him of her. He loved Ginny, but he loved Hermione more, in a different way. Harry tried to look composed, but at that minute, he wanted to hold Hermione in a very physical way.

"If you want to talk, I am always here for you," Harry promised her. Hermione nodded.

"I know," Hermione said. She looked at the clock. "What are you doing here, at this hour, may I ask?"

"I have just come from the school," Harry said. He looked as Hermione's face went rigid. "No, the children are just fine, Hermione, no worries."

"That is the last thing I need right now," Hermione said as she slumped back into her chair.

"All is quiet among the children," Harry promised. He pulled some papers from his brief case. "Rayleigh Riddle is a Gryffindor, and according to the Hat's Transcripts, which I did not even know exist, she asked to be placed in Gryffindor. The Hat was itching to put her in Slytherin, and he even confirmed Tom Riddle being her grandfather, but she begged the to be placed in Gryffindor."

"How odd," Hermione said as she thought. The heir of Slytherin asking to be put in Gryffindor." She was still rather nasally, but at least the tears had subsided. Harry was thankful for this, as he really hated to see her cry.

"I know," Harry replied. "I just can't figure it out. You would think a child of that evil lineage would have been in Slytherin."

"She asked, Harry, just as you asked," Hermione said quietly as she pondered.

"I spent all day at the school, pouring over this crap with Minerva, and we are no closer to finding out Riddle's father. It is just frustrating," Harry said. He ran his hands through his hair. "I feel like I am missing some very important pieces of the puzzle."

"Is Minerva telling you everything?" Hermione asked as she stretched.

"I think so," Harry said. He narrowed his eyes. "Why, do you assume she isn't?"

"Well, no, but…" Hermione said hesitantly.

"What, Hermione?" Harry asked, pressing her for more details.

"It's just… did Ginny tell you that she was summoned to the school on official business?" Hermione said slowly. "I, um, overheard Shacklebolt say that there was an incident between three blood-taint inflicted students."

"Three?" Harry asked incredulously.

"You didn't think that James was the only one, did you?" Hermione asked rather surprised. She flipped through her desk and pulled out the rosters from the school. "There are hundreds of kids at that school; odds are that there was more than one."

"Hermione, you don't understand. If there is more than one with the infliction, that increases the risk that more could become infected," Harry said.

"Would you prefer we lock them all up?" Hermione asked incredulously.

"No, of course not, it's just…"

"Harry, Minerva is excellent, and so is the medical staff on hand at Hogwarts. Each of the afflicted students knows how serious it is," Hermione said rather firmly.

"Do we have the names of the other students?" Harry asked as he took the roster.

"No," Hermione said. She thought a moment. "Ginny would know, because her department regulates that sort of thing, but I doubt she'd tell you. You know how secretive we all are about our work. No mingling outside of our departments." With that, Hermione began to cry.

"Hermione, it's not that bad, honestly," Harry said as he gathered his belongings. "I am going to talk to Ron and find out what is his deal."

"No, Harry," Hermione begged, but Harry had already disappeared from their office.

-->