Unofficial Portkey Archive

Voldemort's Heir by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Voldemort's Heir

Konflickted

~Chapter 19~

Cured

"Are you ok?" James asked as he looked at Rayleigh. She wasn't nearly as rosy cheeked as before. She nodded.

"Are you?" Rayleigh asked.

"Yeah, I feel great," James said. Already his wounds were healing.

"How was it?" Scorpius asked. James looked at him.

"It was tasty," James said laughing. He felt giddy. "I feel different."

"Must be the full moon," Scorpius said as he pulled out some of the potion Rose had packed for them.

"Already?" James nearly whined. Scorpius nodded and drank the potion. James brought the cup to his mouth but it refused to open. The stuff smelled like poison.

"It always smells like that," Scorpius said.

"I can't drink it," James said. Scorpius rolled his eyes.

"Look, fine, don't," Scorpius said. "But if you go eat villagers, don't come crying to me in the morning."

The moon rose with all of its glory, it light peeking into the cracks of the slatted roof of the barn they were hiding out inside of for protection and shelter. Scorpius turned to Rayleigh, watching her curiously as he changed into a werewolf. The potion made him as harmless as a kitten. They watched James as they anticipated his change and waited. Time ticked away, and they waited some more.

"I don't understand," James murmured as he stood in the full moonlight. He looked as human as ever, not even a single werewolf trait.

"I wonder," Rayleigh said slowly.

"What?" James asked. Scorpius was climbing across Rayleigh's lap, trying to get her to scratch him behind his ear. Rayleigh complied absentmindedly.

"I wonder if I cured you," Rayleigh said.

"There is no cure for werewolf-ism," James reminded her.

"Yeah, I know that, but there aren't supposed to be any girl vampires, and yet here I am," Rayleigh said.

"Does that mean I am going to turn into a vampire, now?" James asked. Rayleigh looked at him curiously.

"There is one way to find out," Rayleigh pulled a small pocket knife. She sliced her palm before James could protest. She held the hand out to him. "What do you smell?"

"Smells like blood, you know, that funny iron smell," James said. Rayleigh smiled as she pulled back her hand, the wound already knitting together.

"If you were a vampire, you would be able to smell the subtle hues of fruits, vegetables, proteins, and grains I have eaten. It would smell sweet," Rayleigh assured him. "There is one more test, if Scorpius willing to possibly give up being a werewolf."

"I have fleas," Scorpius said crossly. "What do you think?"

"In the morning, we will repeat what we did this morning," Rayleigh said. "We won't be able to test it until the next full moon, though."

"What is another couple of weeks on the run?" James asked as her hugged Rayleigh. Deep inside him, he knew he was cured.

-->