Unofficial Portkey Archive

Voldemort's Heir by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Voldemort's Heir

Konflickted

~Epilogue~

Summer Holiday was in full swing and the families were together, much like previous summers. The only thing that had changed was the size of the house needed to contain the families. Over the past couple of years, a few new Malfoy children joined Ginny and Draco, and even Ron and his new muggle wife had increased their offspring by two. Hermione and Harry hadn't decided on any new children, but they were content with that. Melissa and Viktor hadn't had any children either, but they never discussed their reasoning. Luna and Neville added just a single child to the family.

They rented the magically enlarged beach cottage to spend the entire summer together. Jack, Hugo, and Lily were now of age, and all had passed all test needed to be a wizard out on their own. Scorpius and James were practically the best of friends, spending a lot of their time teasing Rose about her newest boyfriend or hitting the night clubs with Albus.

"So, Lily, any idea when my daughter might actually be showing up?" Viktor asked as they all sat together for dinner. Eyes were all on Lily. She rolled her own.

"It doesn't work that way, Viktor," Lily said. She glanced at Rose and the two women shared a knowing look.

"What?" Harry asked. Lily smiled and shook her head.

"Nothing," Lily said.

"No, what is it?" The others pressed. Lily shook her head.

"It's nothing," Lily said. "She'll be here by the morning. She's flying in."

"I have to say, she does have some pretty impressive flying skills," Harry complimented Viktor. Viktor nodded.

"She's a little too dangerous, if you ask me," Viktor murmured. Melissa gave him a silent look that he seemed to understand immediately.

"I thought she looked lovely on the broom when we last saw her," Hermione said sweetly. "That was what, two or three years ago?"

"Give or take," Harry agreed.

"She's been very busy," Lily said simply, a smirk on her face. Melissa smiled and rolled her eyes. The hour struck nine and they all headed off to their beds.

Morning came, and James was standing at the counter eating cereal. Lily and Rose bounded into the room, followed by the little Malfoy children and the little Weasley children. James rolled his eyes as the small little kids made all kinds of loud noises. He looked at his little brothers and sisters, thinking that maybe his mom shouldn't have had two sets of twins so close together.

"Morning James," Lily said to her older brother.

"Hey," James grunted as seven little bowls of cereal were placed at the table. The youngest Longbottom stumbled awkwardly from the door way into the kitchen and clambered to the table with the other three and four year olds.

"Feels a little like a daycare," Rose shouted over the din.

"Yes," James agreed with his cousin.

"Did Rayleigh get in ok last night?" Rose asked Lily. Lily nodded.

"Yeah, she and Gavin are sleeping in," Lily said smiling. She turned to James and smiled at him. "You knew she was bringing Gavin, right?"

"You act like I even know who that is," James said rolling his eyes. He could feel himself getting angry. He hadn't seen or spoken to Rayleigh since her last visit two years ago, when they had a whirlwind summer affair. She had been sixteen, he had been almost nineteen.

"I know she has written to you," Lily said. James looked unaffected.

"I don't like to read," James admitted callously. "Stopped reading them after the second one came."

"Oh," Rose said looking at Lily. Lily shook her head and patted her brother's shoulder.

"Well, Gavin's great, so give him a chance when you meet him, ok?" Lily said. She nearly died laughing as she and Rose left the kitchen. James avoided the family like the plague, not eager to meet this Gavin that Rayleigh was so in love. His mother, step-mother/aunt, and sister gushed at how cute he was and he was getting tired of hearing it.

It wasn't until dinner time that night that he saw Rayleigh for the first time. He felt like the wind had been knocked out of him, and watched as she walked to the table. She was wearing a tank top and jeans, and her hair was shorter than it had been just two years before. She had a scowl on her face and laughed as she sat down next to Lily, with in James' line of sight.

"He bit me again," Rayleigh told Lily. "So if you can tell me when he will quit this biting thing, which would be great, do. He is infuriating me."

"Um," Lily shrugged as she made eye contact with James. James looked at Rayleigh. He rather hoped that Rayleigh would have been happy to see him. She looked indifferent to his presence at the table.

"James, hello," Rayleigh said addressing him.

"You're looking good. The potions keeping you well," James said. Rayleigh grinned and shook her head.

"Nah, I haven't needed one in a long time," Rayleigh said. A look of simple shock crossed his face. The air of the table was one of knowledge shared by all but James.

"Wow, you were cured?" James said with a hint of awe in his voice.

"Maybe you and I should go for a walk and talk," Rayleigh said as a slight smile crossed her face. "Apparently you haven't opened a single letter I sent you."

"I don't like to read," James said.

"Maybe it would be simpler to introduce James to Gavin," Lily suggested. James made a face, not want to be introduced to the man in Rayleigh's life.

"This should be fun," Scorpius said laughing.

"Gavin! Come here!" Rayleigh called as she stood up. She walked near the stairs, but remained back. She coaxed, "Come on, Gavin, its ok. Don't make that face at me. You know I can't stand that look. Come on!"

James watched the space between the stairs and Rayleigh, not certain what to expect. A fat little foot appeared, followed by another, all that carried a short, fat little tot in a nappy and a black tee shirt. He had untamed wild brown hair and the brightest green eyes. Gavin was a baby, and he looked just like Harry Potter.

"You slept with my dad?" James asked as he looked at the little boy who had been swooped down on and gathered up into Rayleigh's arms. Lily laughed hard, almost choking.

"No, of course not, James," Rayleigh said rather indignantly. "No offense, not that you aren't an attractive man, Harry, it's just you are too old for me."

"No offense taken," Harry said looking at his son as if he was the most ignorant person in the world.

"If you didn't sleep with my dad, why does he look exactly like my dad?" James asked. The others looked at him incredulously.

"You're joking, right?" Rayleigh asked. James looked at her. She shook her head, retrieving her wand. She signaled to James, who slowly joined her on that side of the table. She waved her wand at the wall, creating a huge mirror, floor to ceiling and wall to wall. She stood there, able to see the whole family reflected behind them. James stood there, next to Rayleigh who was holding Gavin. He looked at the Harry Potter miniature person in Rayleigh's arms, looked at his father and brother, seeing that they looked similar enough, as well, then finally he looked at himself. He studied his own face as the child reached and climbed into his arms. He looked at himself, then the child. The same brown hair, the same green eyes, the similarities were striking. Realization slipped over him.

"Daddy," The child whispered as he snuggled against James' neck.

"I'm a dad?" James asked.

"Maybe you should go back and read my letters," Rayleigh suggested as a grin spread across her face. "You would know that when Gavin was born, I was cured. That is why there are few reports of female vampires. They give birth and their blood-taint is erased."

"And he?" James asked hesitantly.

"He's normal," Rayleigh said.

"But you said he bit you," James said. Rayleigh made the mirror disappear. She took the little boy from James.

"He's teething and I am still breast feeding," Rayleigh said. "He's not quite two."

"Don't you think you should have told me sooner?" James asked.

"I did, you just didn't read the letters," Rayleigh said as the child curled against her and fell asleep.

"So, what does this mean?" James asked.

"It means, son, you have a son," Harry said. Rayleigh smiled at them.

"Don't worry, James, I am not going to ask you to marry me or anything. I am more than capable of taking care of things," Rayleigh said smiling at him genuinely. "Our son, though, would benefit from this size of a family, since I have no siblings, and you have many, many siblings."

"Ok, it's a start," James said as relief and warmth rushed over him. "So, I am a dad?"

"You are a dad," Rayleigh confirmed. James looked at Lily.

"You knew about this the whole time?" James asked.

"I was the one who created the prophecy. You didn't think it had to do with the little adventure you guys went on in my first year, did you?" Lily teased. She looked at her sweet little nephew. "Enemies blood unite, during a love-driven plight, unlikely union is fulfilled, no more blood is spilled, taint cure is found, to make up lost ground."

"You mean, this child?" James said.

"Yup," Lily said grinning as she pushed James toward Rayleigh. "Now, to make up lost ground."

"Perhaps a walk?" James asked.

"And maybe a long talk," Rayleigh said as she passed the sleeping infant off to his grandfather, Harry Potter. Rayleigh and James headed out the sliding glass door to walk along the moon lit beach, under the glow of the full moon. Viktor and Harry shared a look. They knew what the kids would soon find out. Love, above all, creates families.

-->