Unofficial Portkey Archive

On Your Doorstep by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

On Your Doorstep

papermask

This story is set 7 years after the epilogue of Deathly Hallows.

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns the rights to all of these characters. I don't. Tada. ^_^
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronald Weasley awoke from a peaceful nap. He sat up from the couch and looked around. Everything was silent and still, which was very unusual for his house. This was Hermione's week with the kids. Hermione and Harry's week with the kids. It had been seven years. Seven years since he and Hermione had filed for divorce. Five years since Hermione's new marriage to Harry, and three years since the birth of their first and only child, Athena. Ron smiled. She was a cute little dear. His smile faded quickly. He missed Hermione. He missed his family. Hugo and Rose weren't the same once they heard of the divorce. Hugo regressed emotionally, while Rose was always inches away from tears. Although they were much better now, they still lacked that certain glint in their eyes that they once had. Harry and Ginny's children hadn't reacted much differently when their parents divorced. Albus Severus stayed angry at his father for years. It was only recently that he had started to want Harry back in his life. Poor Lily barely understood what was happening - just that her Daddy was living with another Mummy. James, however, was taken aback at the most. He seemed to be the only child who wasn't surprised by Harry and Hermione's relationship.

Ron sighed. He wasn't very surprised about the relationship, either. At first it had come as a shock, but once he had time to think it over, Ron finally understood how the pieces all fit. He and Hermione weren't five years into their marriage before she had started to lose control of the feelings she had for Harry. Apparently, Harry had the same problem. The pair never cheated on Ron or Ginny, but it was quite clear who they really wanted to be with. However, being the good hearted people that they were, they stuck it out for the kids. They stuck it out for nineteen years, for goodness sakes. Ron never could understand how much of a sacrifice that was for Hermione. At least, not until she was gone. Ron never missed her more than when he knew he couldn't have her. However, he knew that she and Harry were truly in love. Truth be told, they always had been. They had always known it, but it took them an eternity to recognize it.

After the rage that he felt had died down, Ron had decided that he would be as useful to his two best friends as he could. He helped Hermione and Harry through their emotions, and at this point, it was almost as if the trio was no longer broken. Ginny, however, would not go so easily, and neither would Mrs. Weasley. They both were rather vicious during the time of divorce, and at one point denied Harry and Hermione entrance to the Burrow. However, Ginny eventually calmed down and convinced her mother that there was nothing that would change the situation. Although this happened many years ago, and they had once again been welcomed into the Burrow, Mrs. Weasley had since spoken in a slightly cold tone towards Harry and Hermione. Ginny, however, was currently on her honeymoon with her new husband Neville Longbottom. He was great with the children, and to be perfectly honest, Ron was happy for them. Neville and Ginny, Hermione and Harry. Yep, Ron was happy for them all. But, where did that leave him? It was at this point that Ron heard a small knocking on his front door. Ron, slightly confused, went to the door. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw.

There, leaning on the door post, was a messy haired, unbalanced Luna Lovegood. She held her head down, her blonde hair tumbling over her face. She seemed to be supporting herself on her left foot and the door post. The sleeve of her robes was torn, and she was holding her wand in her free hand, which was shaking.

"Luna?!", Ron whispered. She looked up at him with a flimsy smile. Ron took a small gasp as he saw the black and purple bruise around her eye.

"Luna, what happened? Who did this to you?", Ron almost yelled.

"Ronald, may I please come inside?", Luna asked timidly. Ron blinked a couple of times before he answered.

"Of course, Luna. Here, let me help you," Ron said kindly. He wrapped Luna's arm around his neck and helped her limp into his living room. He sat her down on his couch and propped up her right foot, which was very swollen. After he helped her adjust to comfort, Ron looked back up at Luna, wincing slightly at her bruised eye.

"Luna...what happened?", Ron asked, bewildered. Luna let out a small sigh.

"Well...you remember my ex-husband, Rolf Scamander? The naturalist that I used to work with?", Luna questioned. Ron simply nodded his head.

"Well, you see, he was at our...my flat to pick up the last of his things, and, well, we got into a fight. A pretty bad fight, actually. He ended up disarming me and casting a body bind. Then he...well...he sort of beat me up. Actually, he rather did a good job of beating me up. You can sort of see that from my eye. Anyway, when he removed the body bind I tried to run for my wand and he tripped me, and I think I might have sprained my ankle. Then he cursed at me and left. And...and...well, I didn't know what to do. I mean, I don't really know many people near my flat, and the ones I do know sort of think me a bit loony, and I didn't know where else to go...," Luna said while small tears formed in her eyes. Ron just stared at her, as if this wasn't making sense to him. Rolf had ruffed up Luna? He had hurt her? He had beaten her? Ron suddenly felt sick to his stomach.

"Luna, I am so sorry. You're...well, you're perfectly welcome here. Is there anything I can do for you? Tea, water, anything?", Ron said, surprising himself by his readiness to help.

"Well...some tea sounds nice," Luna replied softly. Ron got up and walked into the kitchen. He still couldn't believe that Rolf Scamander, the man who supposedly loved Luna for her quirks and naturalistic insight had beaten her. How many times had this happened before? Ron put the tea kettle on and walked back into the living room. He wasn't sure what to do. He was going to need help with this one. He could only think of two people that could help.

"Luna," Ron said gently, "Just wait here. I'm going to be right back, I promise." Luna simply smiled and nodded her head. Ron smiled back. She looked like she felt...safe. How long had it been before she felt that way? Ron shook the thought out of his head and stepped up to the fire place, grabbing some floo powder.

"Potter Manor!", Ron shouted, and with a puff of smoke, he was gone.

-->