Unofficial Portkey Archive

On Your Doorstep by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

On Your Doorstep

papermask

A short chapter this time.

------------------------------------

Ron had trouble sleeping that night. His mind was racing with the events of that day. Why would Luna's ex-husband go to such extreme lengths to hurt her? Why did she come to Ron's house when she knew where Harry and Hermione lived? Would she have gone to Ginny's house if Ginny wasn't on her honeymoon? Did she want him? Did she need him? Memories of seventh year came flooding back into Ron's mind. 'I love her like a sister, Ron!' Harry had said. Well, so much for that. Who would need Ron, anyway? Not when they could have Harry Potter, the boy who lived. Or maybe Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of her age. What made Ron so special? Why on earth had Luna come to him? Ron turned over on his side, and eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

Three rooms down the hall, Luna lied awake in the guest bedroom. She was having some trouble sleeping as well. She had had a very long day. Today wasn't the first time that Rolf Scamander had hurt her, but it was by far the worst beating that she had received from him. She was just glad to be away from him. She was glad she had come to Ron. She knew she would be safe here, if even for a moment. But no, he had welcomed her to stay for days! Luna was so thankful, so appreciative; she couldn't put it into words. She had always trusted Ronald, from the very first moment that she met him; she knew he was good, even if it was hard for others to see. Luna rolled over on her side.

Although she adored them very much, Luna was glad that she didn't go to Harry and Hermione's house. It would have been much harder for her to relax there. Hermione would fuss over her too much; Harry would probably go into overprotective brother mode. Although, she assumed that's why they loved each other. Luna had always known that Harry and Hermione would end up together. They were so incredibly perfect for each other. That's what confused Luna so much when Harry ended up with Ginny, and Hermione with Ron. The pieces simply didn't fit, even someone as 'loony' as Luna could see that. She was even further surprised once the couples married and had children. Luna knew that it wouldn't work out. Ron and Hermione were simply too different. Some people thought that because they bickered, the whole "opposites attract" idea would kick in, but most people failed to see that they were in fights. Sure, people in relationships have their differences, but they certainly don't spend all of their time simply fighting over every little detail of their lives. As for Harry and Ginny, Luna was just as shocked at their relationship. Ginny had never known the real Harry. Granted, neither had Luna, but she recognized that. Ginny had built Harry up to be a hero, when all he wanted was peace. Even Luna could see that. Luna imagined that Harry was only attracted to Ginny because of her pretty face and frame. It certainly would take the stress of saving the world off your shoulders to have a quick snog. But an actual, meaningful relationship? No, love simply doesn't work that way. Besides, Luna had always secretly thought that Hermione was prettier than Ginny. Obviously, it took Harry a while to see that, but Luna was just happy that they had found their paths to each other. Plus, now Ginny had found true love with someone that she understood fully - Neville. Luna was so pleased when Ginny finally saw what kind of love Neville held for her. Luna had never really understood why people thought she and Neville were an item. Sure, they were good friends, but Luna usually found that she was too...well, 'out there' for Neville. He needed someone who was more down to earth yet adventurous enough to motivate him. Luna happily saw that he found that in Ginny. So, yes, Luna was truly happy for how things had turned out for her friends. Luna sighed. Friends. She didn't get to say that words very often, but she had some of the greatest friends that she could ever ask for. Plus, they were all happy, and Luna couldn't ask for more for them. Well, almost all of them were happy. Luna sighed again.

Ronald Weasley. Goodness, what could Luna say about Ronald? Maybe that she loved him. Or that she had always respected and adored him. She never thought that the feelings she had for Ron back at Hogwarts would progress into...well, love. Luna knew that now, of course. Luna desperately wished he would notice her. However, she didn't want to push it. Their relationship was finally growing, and she wouldn't threaten that for anything. She still couldn't believe he let her stay. Even if it was just for a few days, it was like magic. Luna smiled at the small joke she had made. Luna remembered a phrase that she had heard once in her past that had always stuck with her. 'When God closes a door, He opens a window'. Luna never fully understood what that meant until now. Luna smiled again. Luna drifted off to sleep while softly humming her favorite song. 'Weasley is my king...'.

-->