Unofficial Portkey Archive

On Your Doorstep by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

On Your Doorstep

papermask

Ron appeared in the fire place of Potter Manor, where Harry and Hermione lived. Facing the fire place was the living room. Hermione was laying on Harry's lap on the couch, lazily sleeping. Atehna was sleeping on Hermione's chest. Harry looked up from the book he was reading to see Ron.

"Hey Ron," Harry said happily, "What's going on?"

"Hey Harry. Look, you might want to wake up Hermione for this one," Ron said softly. A stern look passed through Harry's face, recognizing that something was wrong.

"Hermione, love, wake up," Harry coaxed gently.

"No...must study for NEWTS...," Hermione mumbled form her sleep. Ron rolled his eyes. That girl was mental, he swore it. Harry laughed lightly at Ron's expression, then turned back to Hermione.

"Hermione, you're not in Hogwarts anymore. Wake up," Harry said in a louder tone. This roused Hermione from her studious sleep.

"Hmm? What? What's going on? Oh, hello Ron! How are you?", Hermione said while trying to flatten down her fluffy hair. Harry smiled at the feeble attempt. Hermione sat up and picked up Athena and sat her on her lap.

"Well, Hermione, Harry, something's sort of...wrong," Ron said slowly. Immediately an expression of concern covered both Harry and Hermione's faces.

"Ron, what happened? Is everyone okay?", Hermione asked with genuine care.

"Yes everyone's fine...well, no, not really...I mean everyone except for one," Ron replied.

"Who's hurt?", Harry asked.

"Well...Luna," Ron said. Hermione and Harry looked at each other with confused expressions.

"Luna? As in Luna Lovegood?", Harry asked. Ron simply nodded his head.

"What happened to her?", Hermione questioned.

"Well...," Ron replied, "It's sort of a long story, but what happened was that her ex-husband, Rolf Scamander came by her flat to pick up some of his stuff, and they ended up having a fight. Well, a pretty big fight, apparently, and he started to...hurt her," Ron said slowly. Harry immediately looked angry, while Hermione seemed to be more worried by the second.

"What did he do to her?", Harry asked sharply. Hermione stared at Ron with wide eyes.

"He...well...he kind of cast a body bind on her, then gave her a black eye and tripped her, which cause her to sprain her ankle," Ron replied weakly.

"WHAT?", Harry and Hermione replied together. Ron winced slightly at how loud their voices were.

"I know, I feel horrible for her. She said she didn't have anywhere else to go, so she came to my house," Ron added, "And I was hoping you two could help me...well, help me help her," Ron finished. Harry and Hermione both nodded.

"James!", Harry called. Ron heard James's voice from upstairs.

"Will you watch Lily, Albus Severus, Rose, and Hugo please? Hermione and I will be right back!" Hary yelled in one, long breath.

"Sure thing!", James called back. Hermione picked up Athena and she and Harry headed for the fire place with Ron. Harry grabbed some floo powder and stated their destination - Ron's home.

The trio and Athena came bursting out of the fire place. Hermione coughed lightly from the smoke. Ron pointed to the couch. It was empty.

"I don't understand, she was right here...," Ron explained as Harry and Hermione looked around at the empty living room. Suddenly, they heard a dreamy voice come from the kitchen.

"Ron, is that you?", Luna asked. The trio released a sigh of relief.

"Yes, Luna, it's me. I brought Harry and Hermione to...erm...help," Ron replied, "What are you doing up?"

Luna came limping out of the kitchen with a small cup in one hand. She smiled warmly at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"The tea went off, and I couldn't very well leave it, coudl I?", Luna said sweetly, "Do you guys want any tea?"

"No thank you, Luna," Hermione replied, "Here, come back and lay down. Let me help you."

Hermione handed Athena to Harry while Hermione walked over to Luna, who was balanced on her left foot. She helped her limp to the couch. Ron and Harry sat in the chairs across from the couch, while Hermione sat next to Luna to help her prop up her right foot. Harry sat Athena on his lap. There was a slightly awkward silence, then Hermione's voice came through.

"So Luna...Ron tells us that you were...well...that someone hurt you?", Hermione said, a little uncomfortably. Luna looked at Hermione with a small, termbling smile. Ron started to feel sick again.

"Well...yes. My ex-husband, to be exact. Rolf. I assume Ron told you what happened?", Luna questioned. Harry and Hermione nodded.

"Then, yes, he hurt me. This was his handywork", Luna said while pointint to her eye. Hermione's face softened.

"Ron, why don't you get Luna some ice for her eye?", Hermione asked. Ron nodded his head and walked towards the kitchen. Although he feelt horrible for Luna, he was glad that Hermione and Harry where there to help him. Truth be told, he wasn't very sure what to do at all. He hadn't even thought of getting ice. After Ron filled a small plastic bag with some ice, he walked back out to the living room, where Hermione and Luna seemed to be intensely talking while Harry watched from his chair. Ron handed Luna the bag of ice.

"Thank you so much, Ronald," she said dreamily. Ron's face turned a light shade of pink.

"I have to say, Hermione, Harry, Athena looks so lovely. She seems like a very happy baby," Luna said. Hermione smiled and thanked Luna. Harry bounced Athena on his knee. She smiled brightly at Luna. Luna turned back to Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

"I've pretty much gotten everything figured out now. I mean, while you were gone, Ronald, I had a little bit of time to think things over. The only problem is that I don't exactly have anywhere to go. I mean...I suppose I could pop over to a hotel, but I'd have to get back to my flat and get some money, but to be perfectly honest, I really don't want to run into Rolf again...what do you guys think?", Luna asked genuinely. Ron suddenly felt a compulsion.

"Stay with me!", Ron practically shouted. He turned a deep shade of red. Athena laughed.

"I mean...you're welcome to stay with me, Luna," Ron added hastily. Why did he do that? What caused that compulsion? Ron was confused. Luna smiled dreamily.

"Well...I don't want to impose...," Luna said. Ron shook his head.

"You wouldn't be. I'd..erm..I'd be happy to let you stay for a few days. Besides, Harry and Hermione have all the kids this week, so you would have much more space here," Ron said. He was surprised at his will to help Luna. They had always gotten along, but they had never been the best of friends. Why was he acting this way?

"Well...as long as you're sure it's okay," Luna said. Ron nodded his head. Luna smiled.

"Well, thank you so very much, Ronald! Plus, I can help you get rid of any nargles that might be lurking around!", Luna said cheerily. Ron smiled and sighed. This was going to be a long couple of days.

-->