Unofficial Portkey Archive

On Your Doorstep by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

On Your Doorstep

papermask

Harry, Luna, and Ron appeared at Potter Manor. They were met by Hermione who was dressed in a casual pale pink dress. She was trying to tame the small amount of Athena's black, curly hair.

"Honestly, Harry, we should have known that our kids would have unruly hair," Hermione said while holding two hairpins in her mouth. Harry laughed. Everyone watched Hermione as she tried to flatten Athena's hair. Athena let out a small laugh.

"Oh, you think that's funny, do you?" Harry said playfully. He started to lightly tickle Athena's sides, which only made her laugh and squirm around more.

"Harry, love, please, I can't fix her hair when she's moving-", Hermione was cut off by a small explosion of hairpins flying from Athena's hair. Hermione let out an exasperated sigh and simply fell backwards onto the couch while Harry picked up Athena. Luna and Ron found this whole scene extremely funny. Ron was doubled over in laughter.

"Ron?" Luna let out in between laughs. Ron nodded his head, signaling her to continue. He continued to laugh.

"If we had children, what do you suppose they would look like?" Luna asked with a dreamy smile on her face. Ron's eyes widened and he began to choke on his laughter. Now it was Hermione's turn to crack up.

"Why yes, Ron, what would your children look like?" Hermione said playfully. Ron was able to stop his choking, but was now faced with three expectant faces.

"Erm...they would...uh...be...small?" Ron said pathetically. Harry and Hermione started laughing wildly. Even Athena was letting out little giggles. Luna turned to an embarrassed Ron and put her hand on his arm while smiling. Even though he knew that Harry and Hermione weren't intentionally trying to hurt him, Luna's touch brought Ron more comfort than he had felt in a long time. Finally, the laughter died down.

"Where are the children, anyway?" Ron said, changing the subject. It was at this moment that Luna started to feel very nervous. She had only met James and Rose. Would they even remember her? Would they still call her-

"Aunt Luna!"

Rose's small voice broke through Luna's thoughts, and suddenly she jumped up to hug Luna. Luna looked slightly surprised at first, but then hugged her back. It seemed like it was an eternity since she had seen the children. The rest of the kids were coming down the stairs.

"I knew it!", James stated loudly, "I knew dad was going to fetch Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna!"

Ron blushed slightly when he heard James speak. 'Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna'. It did have a nice ring to it, didn't it? Ron shook himself out of his thoughts to greet his children.

"Rosie, Hugo, come give me a hug," Ron said happily. The two kids ran over to their father and hugged him tightly. Harry and Hermione shared a knowing look while they waited for the children to greet Ron and Luna. Hermione was sure that she heard Albus Severus mention something about a nargle. She only smiled. Harry knew that he would have to break up the little reunion if they were ever going to be in time for their reservations.

"Alright everybody, we can talk more at the restaurant," Harry yelled above the chaos. All the children circled around Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna. Hermione took Athena from Harry so he could give out directions to the children.

"Okay, everyone hold hands, and make sure that either you or the person your holding hands with has the hand of an adult!", Harry stated. Luna felt two small hands grasp hers, and looked down to see Lily and Rose on either one of her hands. She smiled her dreamy smile and looked towards Hermione, who simply smiled back. Once everyone was connected, they all apparated to the restaurant, La Petite Fleur.

During the course of dinner, Luna talked animatedly with the kids. They all flocked to her like a group of sea gulls. She talked to them about nargles, crumpled hornbacks, and thestrals. Although, she held back a bit about the thestrals when she saw Hermione bite her lip when James had brought them up. Other than that, however, Luna was quite talkative. She kept the children captivated with her dreamy voice and expressions throughout the entire dinner. Ron was amazed at how quickly the children took to her. He found himself loving the way that she interacted with them. She had acted the same way around him when they were at Hogwarts. Ron didn't know up until recently how much he had really missed Luna. She made the world seem brighter and more interesting. Ron felt closer to Luna than he had in a very long time.

At the end of the night, the younger children, mainly Lily, Hugo, and Athena were half asleep. Everyone helped to keep them awake long enough to apparate home. Once there, Harry and Hermione bid Ron and Luna goodnight, and went up the stairs to get all of the children into bed and asleep. Ron stepped towards the fireplace and grabbed some flew powder. He froze for a second, and then, with all the courage he could muster, turned around and offered his hand to Luna. She smiled and took it without much thought. Ron felt his face go slightly pink while butterflies flew in his stomach. Luna, on the other hand, was rather comfortable. Ron threw the floo powder into the fire place and called out their destination.

A second later, Ron and Luna were back at Ron's house. Luna stretched up her arms and yawned.

"Well, Ron, I'm off to bed. Well, I have to check my hair for nargles, and then I'm off to bed. Oh, would you like me to check your hair as well?", Luna asked Ron excitedly. Ron held back his laughter and simply shook his head. Luna nodded and turned to go upstairs. Ron took a breath.

"Luna, wait!", Ron called. Luna turned around on the stairs.

"Yes, Ronald?", She called. Ron took another deep breath.

"Luna, since we had such a fun time tonight, I...um... well, I was wondering if tomorrow you wanted to maybe go to the shops with me, and maybe have lunch somewhere?", Ron asked. There was a slight pause. Why wasn't she answering? Had he offended her? What did he say? A million thoughts were running through his head, but then Luna's voice broke in.

"Oh, Ronald, that sounds lovely!", Luna said with genuine enthusiasm. Ron smiled.

"Okay, well...see you tomorrow then. Goodnight, Luna!", Ron called.

"Goodnight, Ronald," He heard her say softly. Ron smiled.

-->