Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Keeper by BB Ruth
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Keeper

BB Ruth

A/N. Your reviews have been very helpful in so many different ways. I appreciate the time you take to write them.

My muse was on holidays this week and I struggled with this. Not much about the case in this one. It's a full plate of Harry, Hermione, Warren and Ginny.

For those who read the Sacrifice - the title of this chapter refers to that ring.

XXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 37 - The Ring

The familiar sight and sound of a Weasley family affair greeted Hermione as she appeared beside the broom shack in the backyard. Even from a distance she could hear loud laughter (likely from one of George's jokes) and the bustling clatter of forks and knives against plates. Dinner was underway. She caught a whiff of Mrs. Weasley's excellent home cooking and that immediately drew a reaction from her companion.

"This is what you had to live up to? No wonder you had scruples with Ronnie."

She turned to him, unsure if Warren meant to insult her or Mrs. Weasley but wanted to make certain he wouldn't do the latter.

"The Weasleys are decent folk," she reminded him sternly, "Behave yourself or I will un-invite you."

"Too late, I'm already in," he retorted, "And besides, this is because you owe me, remember?"

Warren was the only guy she knew who would do decent things in exchange for favours and would actually collect on them. This particular one was for agreeing to her request to spend the night in London.

"Why did you want to come anyway?" she asked, walking up the path to the back door, "This isn't your kind of party."

"Are you kidding me? I like big, happy family parties," he totally lied.

"Bullshit."

"Love it when you talk dirty."

She faced him squarely to get his full attention, "Seriously."

He looked her in the eye and said wistfully, "You have lots of happy memories of this place. I wanted to see what it's really like."

He was acting. There were definite downsides to working this closely with him. He knew a lot more about her now, things she wished he didn't. She knew private things about him too that he had already voiced his regrets sharing. This was part of the sacrifice the Hag convinced them make so they could work together. The Hag, in her infinite manipulative way, challenged their 'commitment' when they first refused and, when Warren agreed, she had to follow suit. After a few mental exercises, they had no choice but to completely trust each other.

"You want to meet the Harpies and..." she read his thoughts and her face immediately crumpled in disgust, "Ew!"

He laughed, purposely sharing that thought because he enjoyed it when she reacted to his lack of propriety, "Well, except for your friend. She's too hung up on you-know-who it won't be fun. I try to stay away from damaged goods."

"Two of them are married!"

"The married ones usually perform the best," he explained matter-of-factly.

Hermione just shook her head and drew a calming breath in. It took a lot of energy not to judge and she couldn't anymore, not after what the Hag put them through.

She led them down the footpath to the back door. This mental connection forged over the course of hours with the Hag was still eerie and disconcerting. It was necessary, their mentor said, for them to be able to communicate this way if they wanted to be successful against the cerebral terrorist that Gaunt was. It was a skill similar to Legilimency but non-offensive in nature and involved giving each other access to each other's minds.

It proved handy earlier at the Minister's Office. She picked up what Warren discovered from the Deputy Unspeakable's thoughts when they arrived. The DOM had recently found out they had the Resurrection Stone and the Unspeakables intended to keep it secret. Their immediate concern was retrieval but Warren didn't trust the Canadian Minister with the information either. The whole clandestine assignment didn't sit well with him but he did it because he was not given a choice. The Canadians had to be excluded from the loop and Humptail too. Humptail was one that Warren couldn't read and they were unsure what his intentions and where his loyalties were. This was moments before the meeting and she spent time on the phone with Dean finding a good way to get Humptail to leave.

"We're at a party. Can we stop thinking about work?" Warren complained.

"We're not at work. You promised not to listen in, or did you forget?"

"I promised to try not to."

"Tune me out," she suggested.

"Believe me I'm trying," he argued back.

Mrs. Weasley was the first to see them as they entered the kitchen. She was in her best apron and looking every bit the Mum she was when she had family over.

"Hermione, dear!" she exclaimed, giving her the familiar motherly embrace, "You finally got here. You're just in time for dinner."

"Sorry I'm late," she issued the token apology. She set her stuff down on a nearby table, something she did out of habit. The Burrow had been a home away from home for her for a long time and it showed, "I got tied up at ..."

She didn't finish for Mrs. Weasley noticed Warren beside her, "And who are you?"

"Warren Gates," he introduced himself, smiling, turning on his charm on the older woman, "It's a pleasure."

"And who are you to her?" she asked politely but a bit pointedly, scrutinizing him like she did potential Ron-replacements.

Warren was unflappable, looked over and deferred the question to her.

"I work with him," she answered simply.

"I thought Dean was your partner," Mrs. Weasley turned to her, confused.

"There's a few of us," Warren was eager to answer now. "She likes having multiple partners."

There was a tone of amusement in his voice. He was trying to see how far he could get Mrs. Weasley worked up. Hermione looked at him and he merely grinned.

That was lame.

I thought it was funny.

Stop messing with her.

I don't think she got what I meant. And besides, it wasn't only her I was trying to mess with.

Being in this state concerned a significant amount of trust between them both and considerable fortitude on her part. The man's mind outside of work was foul and offensive. And today was the first time since the Hag session he was acting like the complete asshole he usually was. For his amusement, he was challenging her resolve not to lose it and he bet her he could make her lose control before the night was over. She hated losing a bet.

"Well, there are a couple of empty chairs beside Percy over there," Mrs. Weasley motioned to the end of the even longer than usual table then announced, "Everyone, Hermione's here with Mr. Gates."

"Warren," he corrected.

This was followed by a seemingly endless journey to their seats as people said hello. Mr. Weasley looked well. He was at the head of the table, Mrs. Weasley to his right, the Harpies Team Manager to his left. George and Angelina smiled and waved from across the table, Bill and Fleur did the same and the Harpies players introduced themselves. No Ron and no Charlie tonight. Apparently they couldn't make it to dinner but were coming to watch the game tomorrow.

Hermione saw Harry seated midway down the table beside Ginny. It was great and not so great to see her. Ginny got up from her seat with a curious expression on her face and they hugged each other while Hermione's eyes wandered over to find Harry's. There was as much strain in them as she felt.

Ginny whispered in her ear with disapproval, "Now there's an interesting reason to be late."

She pulled away with a frown. Ginny was talking about Warren.

"We're not..."

"Ginny," Warren greeted, standing right beside Hermione, leaning slightly into her.

"Warren," Ginny replied coldly.

They knew each other. Ginny associated him with the 'Harry' that hurt her so naturally disliked him. Harry was on his feet too.

"Harry," she said to him.

"Hermione," he said back, unsmiling.

They hugged their usual public hug but she had to consciously let go. She craved for more of him, him alone and away from this.

"Hermione and I are famished," Warren said out loud, "That pot roast is just what I'm craving for."

Warren emphasized 'craving' unnecessarily which she ignored. Ginny gave her the signal that she desperately needed to talk in private. Hermione desperately wanted to avoid that.

Dinner went agonizingly slow, at least at their end of the table. She tuned out Warren's open flirtation with the team Beaters while she expressed her frustration at Percy about the years of construction hoarding in the Ministry Atrium that was causing daily bottlenecks to and from work. Audrey, his wife, sat between them, her eyes glazing over instantly which was a most normal reaction by most when Percy talked about his work.

Hermione found it hard to listen to Percy too. Her attention gravitated to Harry and Ginny. Ginny was sharing stories of the most fun things they did with another Harpies couple and hearing Harry laugh easily about them was very troubling.

Warren leaned over and requested more explicitly, "Quit doing that?"

"Mind your own business," she snapped at him.

If you don't want to hear my thoughts, stop listening.

They had very little secrets from each other, maybe even none at all. And it wasn't just facts but emotions. Warren had complained bitterly how she was torturing him with thoughts about her personal life. He had to put up with her as much as she had to put up with him.

"The selection of the artist is a huge undertaking," Percy droned on, "There are literally hundreds of applicants and recommendations that we have to go through..."

"The woman at the lingerie store pretended like she didn't see what we just did," she heard Ginny say then add over the laughter, "We figured we weren't the first couple she'd seen...you know..."

Warren nudged her, a plate of potatoes in hand, "Eat."

She put her fork down on her half eaten roast and shook her head. The queasiness in her stomach had grown exponentially in the last minute.

Warren put his fork down too and muttered, "Great. There goes my appetite."

"We've narrowed the selection to ten," Percy concluded his monologue, "We're very close to a decision."

"The Harpies are going to win..." she heard the Team Coach predict from further down the table.

"Ginny's playing really well..." said the Manager to Mr. Weasley.

"We used to love to fly together..." that was Ginny again.

The voices kept coming and replaying in her head. She didn't feel so good.

"Excuse me."

Making for the bathroom quickly, she politely responded to those who enquired that she was okay. But she wasn't. She was very nauseous. She spent a few minutes expecting to hurl but couldn't and didn't. Ginny rapped on the door as she splashed her face with cold water.

"It's me. Let me in"

Refusing would only mean more curiosity. She opened the door and Ginny joined her, their reflections bouncing off the mirror they were facing. The sharp contrast of her friend's vibrant attractive appearance to her ashen, haggard face struck her immediately. This was what Harry was seeing. How could he ever choose her over Ginny?

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just tired."

She was tired of fighting off the insecurities that plagued her when Harry was around Ginny.

"Tough case?"

She nodded, "Speaking of which it's unlikely I'll be at the game tomorrow."

And because she couldn't she had to tell her tonight. She wasn't prepared to tell her tonight. She felt like throwing up again.

"It's okay. You never liked Quidditch anyway," Ginny jibed with a knowing tone; there was no need to deny that truth.

They got out of the bathroom. The guests had moved into the sitting room and they had the kitchen to themselves. They made tea and chatted. Ginny did most of the talking, about what her life was like now, the popularity and the craziness that went with it, about how she wished sometimes that she could just play Quidditch without it but realized it was part of all the hype that made the sport the way it was. It seemed like it would be a good time to talk about Harry.

"What's new with you?"

She shrugged, "Not much."

That is not counting the fact that I'm in love with Harry and having his baby which he knows nothing about.

"So, what's with you and Warren?"

"Nothing," she dismissed easily, "He's a prick, we both know that. What's with you and Harry?"

"I don't know. He's been acting weird these past few days, like he wants to tell me something that he can't," Ginny shared, perplexed, "Actually I was going to do something crazy and I wanted to run it by you."

Hermione was sure she didn't want to hear it but Ginny was already telling her.

"Spending time with him this past week has been enlightening to say the least. I still love him," she declared what Hermione already knew, "I think he still loves me too."

"That makes two of us," she couldn't help but agree.

"I know I can live with the fact that he can't tell me everything about his work. I actually have for five months. I'm also okay with who he is now, and what he and he can't talk about with me," Ginny spoke candidly, "I want to ask him to take me back. What do you think?"

Hermione's calm exterior masked the turmoil she felt within. What does she think about her best friend asking her secret boyfriend to take her back?

Knowing how beguiling and convincing Ginny could be her gut screamed 'no'. What if Ginny asked and he said yes? She was so close to claiming her tenuous 'ownership' of his affection but a calmer voice of reason prevailed. It was presumptuous to think she owned his affection. She had no proof and therefore owned nothing.

And she couldn't tell Ginny not to do it, not when there was a chance this was what Harry wanted and that he would take Ginny back. There was obviously something very wrong with her for thinking that way but she thought it anyway.

"You don't think it's a good idea, huh?" Ginny sensed her hesitation.

"What if he says 'no'?"

"What if I don't do it and he ends up marrying this other girl when I'm the one he really loves? What if he's just waiting for me to ask? What if he says 'yes'?"

"Good point," she sipped her tea and swallowed hard.

"It's the only way to find out how he really feels about me."

"Then you should do it," she said to Ginny.

The little encouragement was all Ginny needed, "No guts no glory, right? Wish me luck."

Cackles of girly laughter interrupted them. A couple of Ginny's teammates had overheard.

"Is this about getting Harry back?" Druhilda, the blonde Seeker and team elder, asked.

Ginny had obviously confided her woes with some of her teammates too. Her friend confirmed, her anxiety building up from thinking of doing what she was about to do.

She sought more advice, "Should I ask him tonight or tomorrow after the game?"

"I'd say tonight," the Chaser, Trudie suggested, handing Ginny a shot of firewhiskey, "If practice today was any indication you're pretty useless with this in your head."

"I agree with Trudie," Druhilda concurred and handed Ginny another shot which the latter drank as quickly as the first, "Get it done and over with, even better if you do it now. I honestly don't understand what you see in him. He's boring. He's in there, working."

They all chuckled, Hermione included.

Ginny sighed, "How do I look?"

Perfect.

"As smashing as always," her teammate answered honestly.

"You have nothing to worry about," the other one said, "He won't stand a chance."

"Right," Ginny replied uneasily, less confident than her teammates were, "It's now or never."

Their eyes followed her through the swinging doors. Harry had been in an animated discussion with Warren when Ginny interrupted. Then they disappeared from view, off to the one place in the house they would get privacy.

"Her bedroom," Druhilda laughed, "The little minx!"

Ginny summed it up. No guts, no glory.

It struck her that it was cowardice on her part to let Ginny do this. Ginny was braver than she was. She had guts and she would deserve the glory. Hermione should have asked Harry a long time ago how he truly felt about her. If things didn't go her way tonight she only had herself to blame because she was a fucking coward.

"So Hermione, tell us," Trudie said with mischief in her tone, "Is that Canadian Bacon yours or did you bring him to the party for everybody to sample?"

"Sample away," she replied knowing Warren wouldn't mind her saying that, though she did put in a word of caution, "Do remember that bacon may taste great but too much is bad for your health."

That made the girls laugh. They joined the others in the sitting room and mingled with the Weasleys. She needed to be distracted but they talked way too much about Quidditch and men. Steering herself away from them and avoiding Percy, she joined Mr. Weasley in his discussion with the Harpies manager about how they should learn marketing from Muggle professional sports.

Hermione half attended to the conversation as her thoughts were on what was taking them so long. It was close to half an hour. Harry would know that it would be inappropriate to spend that much time in his ex's bedroom especially with his ex in there with him. Ginny was pretty direct. She would have asked the question right away. How long does it take to say 'no'?

Dread was turning into panic and some other emotion she couldn't identify. The air thinned and the room began spinning around her.

"Are you okay?" someone asked.

"I'm fine," she replied, steadying herself, holding on to some sturdy dragon art beside her that the Weasleys must have picked up recently from Romania.

Laughter caught her attention. Druhilda had just said something hilarious to the team Beaters.

"Half an hour. I can't imagine them talking for that long," Beater one laughed, "Or doing anything that long."

"Maybe Ginny is showing him something," one of them suggested suggestively.

"He must be getting the grand tour!"

More laughter.

"She's going to be wasted for the game tomorrow," Beater two chuckled, "Somebody should remind her to go easy."

"Pardon the pun but screw the game. The kid needs to have some fun," Druhilda dismissed, "She deserves it."

Hermione couldn't breathe. She had the singular thought of going to Ginny's bedroom and barging in. Her legs were already moving in that direction when a man blocked her path.

"Have some pumpkin juice," Warren said firmly, his eyes boring into hers.

Get a grip. It may not be what you think it is.

It's been half an hour! I need to know!

Ask him later. This is not the place or time.

Get the fuck out of my way!

The deal was we could stay tonight so you could do what you have to do and be focussed for Gaunt. Making an ass out of yourself will not do that. And do you really think he is capable of doing that to you? The guy's a fucking saint!

What could he be possibly doing in there with her alone for half an hour?!

You know him like the back of your hand. You tell me.

"Have some pumpkin juice," he repeated, shoving the glass in her hand.

Warren didn't know what Ginny was capable of. The mere thought that Harry and Ginny were...well, it was enough to set her off again. She gritted her teeth and fought off the tears as she took the drink from him and drank it, the cool juice washing away the lump in her throat. He took the empty container from her as he quickly downed his firewhiskey and Evanescoed the glasses away.

This was all her fault. She wanted to leave. She couldn't stand the wait.

"No, you're not leaving to wallow in self pity," Warren picked that up, "Come on, let's dance."

He was pulling her to the centre of the room even before he finished telling her.

"What! No, let's not..." she protested as she was being dragged to certain embarrassment.

"Why not?"

Eyes were starting to follow them and her mind had totally shifted to the more immediate task of preventing what was about to happen

"Because no one is dancing!" she hissed between her teeth.

"We'll be the first then," he shrugged, "This music is good. R. Kelly is one my favourites."

He started swaying to the beat, oblivious to the stares and howls of the people in the room while she stood in front of him, literally frozen in shock.

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

"You call that dancing?" she was trying her best to keep a straight face; it didn't look like he was.

"It's more than what you're doing which I believe is called 'standing'," he yelled over the beat and did this arm waving thing that was popular decades ago. That made the crowd cheer and she had to shake her head and laugh. He was playing to them and was not embarrassed at all. George turned up the music and a few people joined them on the 'dance floor', "Come on. I can hear the Harpies Seeker thinking of joining me. You'll lose your spot. No one, I mean no one, has ever refused to dance with me before!"

"I suppose they did it out pity."

"Quit the yapping and dance," he ordered good-naturedly.

She relented, his earlier annoying coercion now a welcome diversion. He was right. There was nothing to worry about. Harry would never do that to her. She was having his baby. Reality wouldn't be so cruel. Maybe Ginny was just showing him her um...collection of Quaffles. They should be back soon.

Harry didn't dance so she had not danced in a while. Letting her body go with the flow of the music was liberating and she kept on dancing with Warren, who she realized was goofing around earlier and was actually a good dancer. The first song flowed into the next seamlessly and into the next.

At some point George, their designated DJ, put on a slow number. She had to draw the line.

"I think I'll sit this one out," she said to him.

"What are you afraid of?" Warren asked, probing her for the truth.

For a split second she considered doing it just to prove that she wasn't afraid of anything but that was exactly what he wanted her to do.

I am not afraid of anything.

Prove it. Dance this song with me.

You're hitting on me to piss me off. How low can you go?

If I were hitting on you I would be hitting on a woman I know is pregnant with another man's child. That would be an all time low for me.

He was smiling at her.

He was messing with her.

He was an asshole.

Time's up, Waterloo. Your boyfriend's coming. He's not very happy.

"Is there a problem?" Harry greeted, glaring at Warren openly.

"No," she replied, not wanting unnecessary trouble, "We were just dancing."

"Killing time," Warren explained with derision in his voice, "Keeping her sane while you were busy in your ex-girlfriend's bedroom."

Harry's reaction to what Warren just said was bone chilling. Her partner wasn't giving her anything to see but as far as she knew Warren couldn't get into Harry's mind either. Did Warren know what happened in Ginny's bedroom?

She was surprised that she couldn't face Harry and talk to him right now. She was angry at him for even going with Ginny and was having problems breathing again. She couldn't stop thinking about what he and Ginny could have done in Ginny's bedroom.

"I'm taking her home now," Harry said to Warren coldly, "Thanks for covering for me tonight."

"No problem. 0600 hours sharp, Granger. Don't lose too much sleep," Warren reminded her and turned away.

They said their goodbyes to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and left the party discreetly using work as their alibi. They didn't say a word to each other on their way home, this enormous tension filling the silence between them. They Disapparated separately.

At Grimmauld, Harry followed her up the stairs to their bedroom. Feeling the nausea coming again, she went straight out the balcony to get some fresh air. Harry was the first to break the impasse. He walked over, stood right in front of her and made her face him, lifting her chin up so he could look directly into her eyes.

He didn't say anything at first. He just looked at her, angry and puzzled, making her wonder why he was upset at her. He was the one who stayed in Ginny's bedroom. Shouldn't she be the upset one?! Why did he even come back to Grimmauld with her? Why is he still here? Why doesn't he just say that it's over?

His hand came up her cheek and he softly brushed away the tears that had escaped without permission. He was no longer angry after that.

"Nothing happened," he said to her quietly, "She was crying and I couldn't leave her crying on her own. That's why I took so long."

"Do you still love her?" she asked in a voice that wasn't entirely hers.

"I think a part of me always will," he said honestly.

His answer hurt her. She looked away. She had to so he wouldn't see how that felt..

She said to him, "Then you should go back to her. She still loves you."

The frustration in his voice was obvious, "Why are you pushing me away?"

"You still love Ginny."

"I can't change that."

"No, you can't."

"Do you want me to lie to you?"

"No."

"Then what do you want? You told her to take me back. Was that your way of saying that you don't want me around anymore?!"

Hot wet tears erupted from her eyes again, "I don't want you around if you don't love me. You should be with the one you love."

"Hermione, look at me - please!" he pleaded and she gathered the courage to do so, "Don't you see it? You are the one!"

"What…?"

"You are the one I love! You are the one I want to be with!"

"But you just said Ginny…!"

"I know what I just said and I can't explain it in a better way. What Ginny and I had is over. I can't change what happened. I can't undo that I loved her first or change that a part of me that always will. But I'm with you now and this thing that I feel for you is different. This is it for me. You are it for me. For the longest time I didn't tell you because I was afraid that you didn't feel the same way about me, that I would spook you and that you'd run away. Well I'm done being afraid. Not telling you sooner was a big mistake."

Harry was out of breath, the despair in his voice due to his desire to make her understand. And she was trying her best to but there was too much information too fast. He said something about loving Ginny and loving her differently and not telling her because he didn't want her to run away. The perplexed reaction from her must have been obvious for he reiterated the high points less hurriedly..

"Hermione, I love you. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone else in my life. I love you forever. I love you unconditionally."

Then the floodgates opened, the dam broke, the cup runneth over. She was weeping openly. He finally said the words she had longed to hear from him and without her asking for them. It was more special that he said it on his own.

"I love you too, Harry," she managed to say coherently.

He leaned down and pressed his lips against hers. They kissed; sweetly, longingly, reassuringly. Butterflies fluttered within her and carried away all her worst worries and fears. It was just like how she felt that first time at the pond; carefree, accepting and without demands or expectations. But this time was better because she knew in her heart he loved her too.

They stopped kissing and looked at each other with goofy smiles on their faces.

"So, you love me too, huh?"

She confirmed, "I love you."

"I like hearing that."

"I love you," she repeated for him, liking having the freedom to say it too..

He smiled, "And I love you. Was that good for you?"

She chuckled, "Just as I dreamt it would be. Did you say forever and unconditional?"

"I did," Harry was amused at her mention of it, "And to prove unconditional, I love you even though you're loopy and seem hell bent on getting rid of me by giving me back to my old girlfriend. You're mad encouraging her to ask me."

"It was her idea," she defended herself, "I couldn't in good conscience stop her. I wasn't sure what your answer would be."

"Now you know what my answer is," he answered with her same seriousness, "Was that a test?"

"No," she shook her head, "That was me being a coward."

That was another thing about Ginny to feel guilty about. Hermione imagined how that scene in her bedroom played out and how hurt Ginny was when Harry turned her down, how hurt she still was and how more hurt she'd be when she finds out about them. Her cowardice cost her friend a broken heart and a bruised ego, and probably a lot more. She was a terrible friend.

Sensing her misgivings, he tried to make her feel better, "You're not responsible for her happiness."

He was right. She wasn't. She was only responsible for hers and now Harry's. Harry kissed her again, pulling her in a snug embrace as he did. They snogged under the soft moonlight, oblivious to time and to the rest of the world.

When he pulled away, Harry reached down and took something out of his pocket. It was a small, black, leather box. The sight of it instantly made her heart beat faster. She had a good guess what it was but couldn't assume or conclude. She didn't want to. She looked at his face, the anxious expression on him causing her to feel more uneasy.

"I stopped by Gringott's today and picked this up from the vault," he said as he took from within it a gold band set with several brilliant green stones, "It was my Mum's."

His hands were shaking; he looked so cute when he admitted, "I'm sorry. I'm very nervous. I've never done this before and haven't had the time to practice."

"Oh Harry…" she whispered.

She let joy-induced tears fall freely and found herself trembling too as he got down on one knee and gently slipped the ring into her finger. He looked up at her, his eyes an intense bright green very much like the jewels on her hand and took a moment to calm them both before speaking.

"Hermione Jean Granger, you are the most amazing woman I have ever known. My life is not the same without you. I love you and I want you in my life forever. Will you spend the rest of your life with me and be my wife?"

There was no need to think about it. If only her voice wouldn't let her down.

"Yes, Harry. Yes."

She was crying again. An overjoyed Harry scooped her off her feet and they kissed. There were no words to describe the elation she felt at the moment. Harry had just asked her to marry him and she just said yes. And they were going to have a baby.

The baby. She forgot to tell him about the baby.

Harry set her back down on her feet, "What's the matter?"

"I have something rather important to tell you," she said tensely.

"What?" he was worried.

She fidgeted.

"I know it was my responsibility and it's a very simple incantation really, I mean the spell was designed to be idiot proof for good reason. But I must have flubbed it or cast it a bit late or maybe in the moment forgot to cast it that one time...maybe a couple of times...or three.. And not to put blame on your skill or hope forgiveness through flattery but it was never a problem for me before except with you it is kind of hard to concentrate when we're. - well you get the picture."

He didn't get the picture, "Hermione, you're rambling. What are you trying to say?"

"We're having a baby."

She paused, cringed, anticipating some big negative reaction. Harry was stunned to speechlessness. She probably shouldn't have blurted it out like that but it was too late. There was intense compelling pressure to ramble on

"It's quite funny really, once you think about it, considering me being me, who would have guessed? I mean, I plan everything, to the detail, it is poetic justice of sorts that I would have an unplanned pregnancy, don't you think? Harry. Did you hear what I said?"

"You're pregnant," he answered tentatively.

"And I totally understand if this freaks you out. I freaked out when I first found out. Just ask the assistant pharmacist over at Glenhurst and Hillside. I cleaned out their entire stock of pregnancy tests and drank water like a mad woman so I would pee enough..."

"Pee?"

"On the test sticks - all seven of them because I wanted to be sure. Although I kind of knew already. I was late and the Hag wouldn't have mentioned anything if she wasn't certain but that's another story all together. And when I got home, you were asleep and I wanted to tell you, but I kind of thought what if you got really upset and didn't want to be with me anymore? So I showered and got into bed with you..."

"You were naked," he remembered.

"Yes, well, I wanted it to be memorable just in case it was our last. I fully intended to tell you after but we kind of argued and I had to leave in the morning. It just wasn't the best time to tell you we were having a baby. That's why I asked Warren if we could stay tonight so we could talk about it, only I didn't realize Ginny would be in town and then all of tonight happened," she took a breath in, "I can totally understand if you don't want to marry me anymore...okay...that's a lie. I won't understand but I'm sure you'll have a good reason - I mean you better."

He was laughing.

"Harry, are you okay?"

"I'm okay. But are you? You sound like you've gone a bit mental."

"What do you mean by...?!" she gave him a threatening look,

"In a very adorable kind of way," he qualified before she got really upset, "What are you so worried about? We're going to be parents! I'm going to be a father!"

He lifted her up and spun her around so quickly that made her want to throw up.

"Please don't do that again."

"Sorry, but this feels great!" he put her down and planted a quick kiss on her, "This is great news!"

He was a bit manic; that concerned her.

"It is?"

"I love you. I want to have children with you," he explained, "I admit, I didn't think it would be this soon but it doesn't matter. I can't wait to tell the world! How far along are we?"

"Six weeks."

Did he say children? As in more than one? They definitely had a lot more things to talk about.

But she knew that wouldn't be for now. He got down on his knees again, caressed her belly at the spot where their child was growing and spoke to it gently as she looked on, "I love your Mum and I love you. I just found out that your Mum loves me too and she just agreed to spend the rest of her life with me. That's really a big deal. Then the biggest news of all is that we're having you. It's been a pretty amazing night for us and your Mum's been away for five whole days I really miss her..."

Harry straightened up, love and desire evident in his eyes as he gazed into hers and continued, "I want to make love with her tonight. Well, right now."

The sparkle of happiness in them was unmistakable. She made him happy and that made her happy. Gone were the insecurities of the past months. He loved her and their baby, he said so and that was enough. She had no reason to doubt him anymore.

The ring on her finger felt as if that was where it truly belonged. With him was where she truly belonged. They undressed each other and made passionate love.

XXXXXXXXXX

A/N. I know this is close to perfection.

The next chapter should be the last full one of the past. I still haven't decided how much to show of what happened between the next chapter and the present but I think most of that will be shown through flashbacks.

I apologize to those who had hoped the pregnancy revelation scene would be more serious. I had fun writing it.