Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Keeper by BB Ruth
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Keeper

BB Ruth

A/N. Here's a short update but an important one. Trying not to lose the muse J

Loved the reviews.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 67 - The Tale of Three Brothers

Dovalov waited patiently as the Keeper scrutinized the signatures on the parchment. As he did, he couldn't help but think how the original Keeper, Professor Flitwick, handpicked such an unlikely replacement.

The choice didn't really matter until now. Granted that the request was a grave and complicated one, it was evident that the current Hallows secret holder was taking the responsibility seriously.

The Keeper folded the parchment neatly, set it on fire and spoke honestly, "I expected this sooner."

"As you know, many changes," he replied. "You will tell him then?"

Dovalov eyed the Keeper's reaction to his question. It was unreadable.

"Has he asked for them?" the Keeper queried.

"Nyet," he replied truthfully, "But his hands have been full. We expect he will soon."

A sealed parchment was handed to him. It was addressed to Harry Potter. It was if the Keeper knew they would come asking for it.

"You know how it works. Unless he himself seeks the Hallows the answers will not be revealed."

"He will seek them with his whole heart. I am sure of it."

Dovalov pocketed the letter.

"Let's all hope he does," was the Keeper's reply

XXXXXXXXXX

"Stay out of this one, Harry," Warren said simply, putting himself in between Harry and the stage.

The Ex-Auror then slammed Harry with successive hexes. As he fended off the attack, Harry saw that Malvado had Hermione on her heels.

"He's going to kill her. She needs help."

"She's beyond help. She can't beat him without the Elder Wand."

"She trusted you."

"Warned her about that, didn't I?"

At least Harry could tell Hermione he tried to reason with Warren. Harry retaliated. Warren was skilful but power for power he was outmatched. With Warren on the defence he checked up on Hermione. She had managed to escape being pinned to a corner but was once again backpedalling. He had no time to play nice.

He forced Warren to retreat so he could get closer. Warren backed into some rose bushes, giving Harry inspiration. The plant stems enlarged and ensnared the unprepared Canadian, grasping him by the arms and legs, wrapping his entire body. Instantaneously his wand was pried away from his fingers and he was pulled tightly against the ground. Several roses converged on his face and some into his mouth.

Warren spat out the petals and bellowed from somewhere within the overgrown shrubbery, "Not fair Potter!"

Harry would deal with the thorn later.

With a series of Stunners, he made his presence known to Malvado. The distraction was timely. It afforded Hermione the reprieve she needed. She got her bearings back. As he joined them on stage Malvado sneered at them both, though Harry sensed he was also pausing to assess his current situation.

He looked over to Hermione to see how she was and whether or not she had a plan in mind. Roughed up but otherwise fine, Hermione's voice came to him.

"Where are the kids?"

"With Ron. Did you find Al?"

"Polyjuiced to look like Hugo. He insisted on staying."

Harry sighed mentally, "Kids nowadays, they don't listen anymore. Warren didn't want me to help."

"I saw that."

"I told you so."

"I'll have a long talk with him later."

"You can visit him in Azkaban. So, what's the plan with this one?"

"Disarm him."

"And after?"

"Secure him until he coughs up the stone or until we find an open portal to send him back."

That meant indefinitely. Harry didn't like Plan A. Plan A didn't work with the being in Humptail.

"And plan B?"

"Don't have one."

"You're slipping, Granger," he poked fun at her uncharacteristic lack of a back up.

She jibed back, "We could always use the usual Potter Plan A."

Hermione was referring to his olden preference to wing it. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that. If they could somehow capture Malvado and imprison him, maybe they would have use of the wand shortly, to do what, he didn't know yet. And having use of the wand was a big maybe.

"Salazar Malvado! You're surrounded! Surrender your wand!" the SAMP officer called out from a good hundred meters away.

Hermione, Harry noticed, was trying not to roll her eyes. Did they seriously think Malvado would consider giving up?

XXXXXXXXXX

They were at the Ministry Atrium. There was a huge crowd of employees and visitors coming and going which Hugo guessed was usual for a weekday morning. His Dad paused and looked around, establishing that nothing was amiss before motioning him and Rosie to the lifts.

They avoided the line up at the Daily Prophet Newstand and went past the atrium fountain where an out of place elevator was waiting for them.

"Auror Weasley," an elf greeted them, "Free Willy welcomes you to his special lift."

"Thank you. These are my kids, Rose and Hugo," he introduced them.

"Free Willy is pleased to meet you," the elf acknowledged, staring at Hugo's face a little longer than he did Rosie.

"Department of Mysteries, please" their Dad requested.

The elf shut the gates and pressed a button.

Not five seconds later, the elf said to Hugo pointedly, "You look like Minister Potter."

Rosie was quick to reply, "He is Minister Potter's son."

Hugo wished she didn't do that. That left the elf quite confused.

"How can you be Auror Weasley's son and be Minister Potter's son at the same time?"

The lift came to an abrupt halt and the gates flung open. Thankfully they had arrived at their destination that Hugo didn't have to answer.

Their Dad ushered them off, then patted the being on the back and answered for him, "Good question, Free Willy. We'll chat the next time I'm on."

The befuddled elf continued to stare at him past the office doors but Hugo didn't care. Dealing with reactions to his true identity would have to wait. He wanted to see the book.

Hugo had never been in the DOM before and it looked like neither did Rosie. His Dad took them through several entrances and exits. By their third or fourth he was completely turned around and gave up trying to remember their way back.

In the next hallway his Dad's pace began slowing. He opened the door to his right. Aunt Jessie and Unspeakable Boots were waiting for them. His Dad handed Unspeakable Boots the book while Aunt Jessie greeted them.

"Are you two okay?" she asked.

They answered in the affirmative.

"There are sandwiches over there," she pointed just off in the corner, though she knew they were as interested in the contents of the book as they were, "Get something to eat. This will take a few of minutes."

Hugo didn't think he was but with the sight of food he suddenly felt hungry. Rosie took a sandwich and drank some juice too. They ate quickly and watched keenly as Unspeakable Boots put the old book beside an identical one and uttered a spell that connected them. Images of the books projected on the screen up front and two lists came up side by side, describing in detail the properties of both, comparing them, and highlighting the differences.

Unspeakable Boots filtered on significant non-similar data and scrolled through them while both his Dad and Aunt Jessie looked on.

The unspeakable was the first to speak.

"Hermione's copy has significantly more magical weight than the other first edition."

His Dad replied, "It was Professor Dumbledore's. And Harry did mention it's charmed."

"It's slightly more worn out and it's been read more times than the library copy," Unspeakable Boots added.

"That was a given," Aunt Jessie commented.

His Dad looked worried, "This is somewhat disappointing."

"How so?"

"It looks like aside from Professor Dumbledore's markings there isn't much difference in content."

"Giving us the obvious would have been nice but from what I gather your old Professor preferred his students to sweat it out," Aunt Jessie pointed out then noticed something peculiar, "What's curious though is that Hermione's book weighs a pound more."

It did.

Unspeakable Boots did the math, "Based on average paper weight we're looking at a difference of about a hundred pages."

While he had hoped to do this more privately he figured quickly that it was not going to happen the way he wanted it to. Hugo had to speak up.

"May I take a look at Mum's book?"

They made room for him at the table. He grabbed a chair and sat down as Unspeakable Boots gave the book to him. They gathered behind him. He tried to remain calm as he opened to the cover page.

A bizarre thing happened after. The book thickened to twice its original size and a strong gust of wind flipped the pages for him. It stopped right where the Tale of the Three Brothers began and it siphoned him into the story.

XXXXXXXXXX

Al had never seen a wand fight of this magnitude in his entire life. He remained on the broom just as he was told and hovered a safe distance away, eyes transfixed at the amazing display before them, worried and excited at the same time.

"Salazar Malvado! You're surrounded! Surrender your wand!" a wizard in some sort of an official looking uniform yelled out.

Al heard a few locals snickering at the preposterous demand. Al thought the same.

"He's just trying to do his job," someone beside him defended the officer.

Strange, Al didn't notice anyone on a broom come up near him at all. He turned to his right to see who it was. It was too dark and he couldn't make out the man's face.

"You really should have stayed in the cellar just like I told you to."

Gates.

Just as Al pointed his wand at the older man a powerful vortex sucked him from within. He was swirling uncontrollably. His heart was racing and his insides were churning. He had to close his eyes to keep himself from passing out.

For a moment Al thought it would never end. When the spinning finally stopped he opened his eyes. He was no longer in Pag-asa.

XXXXXXXXXX

James was patrolling the beach. After being cooped up in a house full of upset relatives he needed a break and wanted to be of help. He asked Ted to teach him how to scan for breaks in the wards and detect the presence of enemies.

Ted had just gone back into the house to check up on Tori and told James he'd catch up. James figured he needed to do this on his own at some point so he didn't mind. And besides, Ted was about to ask him about how he felt about the entire 'Hugo and divorce' thing. He wasn't up to talking about that.

He understood why it was a big deal but it didn't have to be. He agreed with what his Mum kept telling them. There was no changing it. There was no point in blaming anyone for it. Why did someone's head have to roll?

Saying that he was really worried about Lily. His sister hadn't spoken much since they got there and kept mostly to herself. Mum had tried to talk to her a few times but that didn't seem to work. James felt the need to do something. He just didn't know what.

Up ahead something caught his eye. Near the shoreline wind was kicking up sand to and fro. It was somewhat odd how it shaped itself into a small funnel. James scanned the area and when he found nothing alarming approached the sand cloud cautiously.

Standing above it, he gazed down at the foot wide oddity with curiosity. He was quite unprepared when it pulled him in.

XXXXXXXXXX

The SAMP officer's demand fell flat as expected.

"Put down your wands and maybe I'll spare you!" the evil wizard hollered back, and said to Hermione, "Perhaps you should tell them."

"Let's take this outside," Hermione suggested, "Avoid this nuisance."

While more numbers in general was good, trying to apprehend a wizard like Malvado with an army was not going to work. More than two or three Aurors would get in each others' way.

Malvado didn't take the offer, "It'll be more satisfying to kill you and Britain's Minister for Magic in front of an audience."

Wary from previous experience, Harry cast a broad shield to contain Malvado's powerful Imperius curse and sent out a suggestive charm of his own. When the SAMP moved further back instead of attacking them Malvado's eyes narrowed at him. A couple of bolts shot out from Malvado's wand. Hermione anticipated the move and blocked them within inches of discharge. She drew fire for that but repelled them easily and countered with a salvo of hexes, forcing Malvado to defend himself.

Malvado's inability to recruit bystanders to do his fighting for him had thrown him off his game plan. Harry joined Hermione on her counter-attack. The fast and furious exchange of curses cleared their immediate surroundings, as beings wisely took cover to avoid the crossfire and rebounding spells. Malvado couldn't keep up with the steady flow of powerful hexes and was absorbing hit after hit after hit. As before, Malvado seemed to recover from whatever they threw at him very quickly but his counters were becoming few and far between. Both he and Hermione got off more spells than they were receiving. It seemed as if he was tiring from the constant regeneration.

They chased him off the stage. Malvado, recognizing possible defeat, was trying to leave Pag-asa. The path cleared up for him and he stumbled down the steps to the entrance.

On the one hand they almost had him but on the other hand he had a feeling Malvado was holding back something special for when he really needed it. Harry thought it better to let him leave, to continue the fight where there would be less possibility for civilian casualty, and looked at Hermione to see if that was still her preference.

It was. One of them would have to beat him to the gates, to box him in and prevent him from escaping. Hermione was closer and she hustled but she was having difficulty catching up. Harry figured that she was hurt as he noticed her favouring her left side. Her frustration was evident when she started dropping back. She fired a couple of curses to slow Malvado down but he was prepared and had no trouble with them. Malvado was almost at the opening.

Harry sped up and exited within a fraction of a second before Malvado did. Instantly he was relieved it was him in the lead and not Hermione. Within the upward moving tunnel Malvado fired at will, mostly at him. Harry turned to defend himself but quickened their pace, not comfortable in the prolonged defensive stance. He was also not keen on responding within closed quarters, especially with Hermione close behind.

He thought ahead. Once outside Pag-asa's borders Disapparition would be Malvado's quickest getaway. Even if they could follow him Merlin only knew where he would Disapparate to and who else would be there. Their immediate task was to prevent that from happening or prepare for it if it did. He could only do one and hoped Hermione would think to do the other.

Harry looked up. Sunlight was filtering through from above and he could feel the crisp wind on his face. The opening was only a few meters away. He readied himself. As his body came out of the tunnel he fired successive disarming charms at Malvado.

Malvado's wand sailed off in the air. Less worried about misses and deflections now that they were out in the open, Harry struck him with multiple hits to his torso as they rode the momentum of their exodus.

Harry made a mess of Malvado's body but none of that seemed to bother him and he didn't have time to dwell on how odd that was. Prior to losing his wand, Malvado was able to get shots off and they were about to connect.

He warded off the trailing spells just in time. Unexpectedly, the offensive and defensive spells merged and caused an explosive chain reaction. The impact rippled through Harry's body and he got thrown back. They both landed hard on the forest ground on opposing sides of a large clearing, about a hundred meters apart.

Immediately they were on their feet. His foe had a wand in his hand, likely a spare. Malvado was going to Disapparate.

Thud!

The dark wizard's wand arm literally fell off its socket. Hermione was standing right behind him, a wand in each hand. She had just given new meaning to disarming an opponent.

And Hermione didn't stop there. She magically hacked and slashed away at Malvado, cursing relentlessly. It was Harry's cue to join in but he couldn't shoot with Hermione so close. He rushed forward to join the fray.

Malvado proved to be agile, avoiding significant injury. That and he was recuperating from whatever wounds she inflicted upon him almost instantaneously. His detached limb had since re-grew and he made a move to attack her.

Hermione shot Malvado with both wands at close range, carving out a huge hole through the wizard. The tremendous power of the discharge stunned him a step back but with his reach he managed to strike her hard across the jaw. She had her hands full deflecting the ensuing blows. Despite giving it her all the reality was Malvado was stronger physically. He was also the better fighter. He found Hermione's rib injury and punched her there several times, causing her to let go of her wands.

Harry reached them just as she fell on the ground and slammed hard into him, knocking him over. When Harry got up several curses came at him from close range. Malvado had acquired possession of one of Hermione's wands. The first curse Harry parried off exploded just like the last one he tried to defend against and threw him back.

This was getting old.

Harry rolled with it and landed right-side up this time. He was eager to engage him again. By then Malvado's interest was finishing off a wandless Hermione. With quickness she grabbed Malvado's wand arm with both hands and pushed it across his body to divert his weapon tip away from her. It discharged, hitting a tree, instantly killing it. In the same motion she struck his knee to bend, planted an elbow to his nose, and stepped back. She spun and kicked him solidly right in the chest.

The separation gave Harry an opening. He blasted Malvado off his feet just as the latter aimed to curse her again, conjuring a blanket of chains, encasing their opponent in a steel cocoon. He then summoned the metallic prison and its contents closer to him and away from the visibly worn out Hermione.

But not a second later the entire thing burst into flames. Harry had to release the melting metal ropes to prevent his hand from burning. The fire swelled high and wide, raging angrily between them. Then amidst the crackling there was a pop. Harry had a bad feeling.

With a single spell he doused the fire. The smoke from the smouldering embers of the forest floor rapidly cleared out. Across the way Malvado had Hermione in a choke hold and was using her as a shield, his wand pointed at her head.

"Stop squirming!" Malvado pulled his arm tighter around her neck, "And you, that's far enough! Put your wand down! I'll blow her up, I swear!"

She was choking and bleeding somewhat on her left side but she still managed to say to him, "Shoot him, Harry!"

Malvado answered for him, "He knows it's pointless. He can't harm me with his inferior wand. Drop it, Potter. I won't ask you a third time."

Hermione looked him in the eye and pointed out the harsh reality, "He's going to kill me anyway."

Malvado laughed, "She is so right about that. But if you'd rather have her die by your hand then so be it."

Harry dropped his wand. It was time for Plan B and Hermione wasn't going to like it one bit.

"I'll get you the Elder wand," he said to Malvado.

"No!" Hermione protested immediately, "I'd rather die now!"

She was serious. He repeated what he said.

"I'll get you the wand in exchange for her life."

Hermione reasoned with him, "If he gets the wand so many others will die! Saving one life will mean nothing! Harry! There is good reason why we never negotiate with the dark side!"

"I have no choice. If I do nothing he'll kill you. And I can't let that happen."

She vented her frustration, "This is exactly why I didn't want you involved in this!"

"It's too bad the one you did involve bailed on you. So?" Harry negotiated, trying not to lose control of the situation, "Should I pick up my wand or do we have a deal?"

Malvado thought aloud, "I've been dying to kill her for a long time. If I kill her now you'll still want the wand if only to ensure I don't get it. Then I'll get it soon enough. I don't see anything in this deal for me."

"Great point," Hermione concurred.

Someone spoke out of turn, a familiar voice, "I would silence her if I were you."

"Ah! Warren, it's nice of you to join us," Malvado welcomed him, "You're just the person I wanted to see. I seem to have a conundrum here and am in need of advice."

Warren had a ready response, "To kill or not to kill her - I agree it's a tough one. I've struggled with that very question since the day we met."

"We had him," Hermione scolded Warren straightaway.

"You never had me," Malvado corrected, "Or him. He played us both but, as you know, he has my blood in his veins. There is no fighting the darkness within him. I knew it and he knew it. He relied on the fact that you never accepted that."

Great. Malvado was Warren's long lost father. Harry quickly dismissed the fact that Hermione knew all this and never told him. He wanted to make a move but Malvado was watching him closely and he couldn't afford to take risks with the dark wizard's wand aimed at Hermione.

"Dad sounds so proud," Harry tried to get a rise out of Warren, "What exactly do you get in return for selling out?"

"He's going to be me," Malvado answered for Warren.

Hermione glared at Warren, and the latter seemed distracted. Harry could tell they were talking behind the scenes but he was too far to pick up what they were talking about.

She said to him, "Don't take the stone. This isn't over."

"It is," Warren disagreed, then offered his advice, "If you kill her now Potter will definitely want the wand and the POTH will be so pissed they will hand it over to him, the wand and the rest of the Hallows too. You'll be more evenly matched. If you want a little excitement in life, go ahead."

"And the POTH, will they not give him everything now?"

"They probably will. But that won't matter. He's not going to use them against you as long as you have her and she's alive. Right, Harry?"

"You've finally said something that I can agree with."

"It's a good deal. I would take it."

Malvado asked, "Can he deliver?"

Warren looked Harry in the eye and said, "Harry always delivers."

It was decided.

"Very well. You give me the Elder wand, I give you the girl. A straight up exchange. No tricks Potter or the deal is off."

"You have my word."

"You have twenty-four hours. We'll keep in touch."

He locked eyes with her

Hang in there.

She didn't say anything, her non-response telling of how she didn't want him to bother coming back for her.

Malvado and Warren Disapparated, taking Hermione with them.

XXXXXXXXXX

Hugo picked up a pebble close to his hand and stood up, recognizing where the book too him. He was on the bank of a river, the remains of those who failed to cross it in plain sight. Across the raging waters stood a majestic Elder tree seemingly just waiting for Death to fashion a wand out of it.

Moments later Al appeared, then James. They all looked at each other wondering what the other was doing there.

XXXXXXXXXX

Intra-Apparition Hermione secured Warren's spare wand. Malvado noticed just as they came out of it. She fired at him at point blank range and cleaved his face in two. By then Warren had his stick out and attempted to disarm her but she saw it coming as he thought it. She split and diverted his curse, hitting a couple of Malvado's men as they came to help.

Malvado was recovering fast. She Disapparated but didn't go anywhere. Malvado's camp had wards that prevented her from leaving. She swore to herself. She guessed it was time.

"I got this," Warren offered and everyone else stood back, Malvado included.

Hermione had not fought Warren in a long time. He circled her, ready.

I can hear you think.

She heard his voice. She ignored it, still pissed at the asshole. She fired at him and he proved that he could.

I know you can hear me.

She parried off the string of hexes he sent her way.

Give it up. This is not going to end well.

You're right. It isn't. But I'm choosing how it's going to end.

Hermione cleared her thoughts and attacked. She let instincts learned from years of fighting take over her wand and bombarded him with a chain of curses without thinking. It caught Warren off-guard. Just as she was about to run out of steam she hit him with a combination of Stunners that took the wind out of him and made him lose his weapon.

A curse was on its way to her, coming from behind. Recognizing that it was too late to defend herself she turned to face it.

The fiery sensation hit her and spread throughout her body instantaneously. The impact took her breath away. It felt like she was being ripped apart piece by piece and although screaming would have helped her breathe, she refused to give Malvado the satisfaction.

Then it was over. She dropped on all fours, catching her breath.

"Kill! Kill! Kill!"

Malvado's men wanted her blood. Something slipped around her neck and tightened. She couldn't breathe.

XXXXXXXXXX

A/N. The scenes keep changing as I write them but hopefully we'll reach the same ending I intended. Warren still bugs me. Will he or will he not save Hermione? And what do you think of the Three Brothers?

Would love to hear your thoughts about this one...