Unofficial Portkey Archive

My Confusing (and Hard to Believe) Love Life by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

My Confusing (and Hard to Believe) Love Life

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: Wow you guys, you've totally filled me with a billion new ideas! Seriously, your reviews of predictions and what you want to happen help me a lot. The whole rose-to-necklace thing was genius, to those who suggested it! I actually used it in this chapter, so that shows you that your reviews really help me a lot. I would also like to take the time to open the floor to song suggestions for the soundtrack to this fic. I've done a soundtrack to every one of my novels and this is no different. I usually have one hell of a time picking out songs that fit scenes or the plotline so I would like for you guys to help me up. You can tell me in a review or e-mail me. The download will be up on my website when it's finished-so the quicker we find songs, the quicker it'll be up.

Disclaimer: HP=JKR, HP&HG=JKR being a moron and not knowing true romance when she writes it.

Enjoy!

-

Superstitions Lead To Paranoia. I Hate Paranoia.

You would think that being Heads together, we would have had to do rounds together as well. Apparently not, according to the schedule I had written for the month. McGonagall called me into her office today and scorned me for "conveniently forgetting" to sign the two of us up for rounds together. In all honestly, I had completely forgotten to write the two of us down for rounds. It must have been unconsciously done-because it sounds like something I would definitely do if I wasn't so picky about the rules. And it would have worked perfectly if some fifth year Prefect with uncanny deductive reasoning skills and killer eyesight hadn't read the list and noticed both Potter and I's names not written. I take back what I said earlier, I wouldn't mind so much if the whole school was extremely dim-witted as long as it meant not having to associate with Potter more than necessary.

After vehemently repeating to Professor McGonagall that it was an accident, she let it pass with a warning. But for a second I could have sworn she was going to strip me of my title. Thank Merlin for my always handy suck up talents. Without them I would be as good as-well Potter, really. You know, for a guy I hated, he was popping up in my head a lot lately. It must be his odd behavior this past week.

Oh, I haven't told you? Well, this past week Potter has been acting very odd. He keeps on staring at me. No, staring isn't the right word. More like studying me-yeah, I know, Potter, studying? Apparently instead of directing that skill on his coursework, he wants to use it on me. I have no idea why but for whatever reason it's really starting to freak me out. The last thing I want on me is Potter's eyes. I have half a mind to go up to him and ask what the hell he finds so interesting. But that's out of the question. What if I'm just imagining things? What if he's not actually staring at me, but off into the distance ridiculously close to my face? I could ask him about it, he'd call me loony, and soon I'd have a new nickname obscure enough to rival Loony Lovegood's. I think it's better to leave it alone for now until I'm absolutely sure.

Anyway, back to reality for a moment. You remember the crystal rose that Joe gave me (which I still can't believe he bought. I mean honestly, how many galleons did that guy spend? It's driving me insane!)? Well, he mentioned to hold it close to my heart, as I recall. He probably didn't mean it literally but it was the least I could do to fulfill his unintended wish. I had quite the talent for transfiguration, and the rose seemed enchanted (unless they've invented crystal roses that bloom in the Muggle world), so I wouldn't cause much damage to the piece. After a few minutes thought, I hit the books and transfigured the rose into a necklace. The red flower was now on the end of a long golden chain that I had tucked strategically under my jumper just in case I was to run into Joe in school. An ingenious idea, if I do say so myself.

It was very similar to the way I hid my time turner in third year when I was taking a surplus of classes in order to determine where I wanted to drive my life. Back then I was so worried about my career and studies I was near to exploding at any moment. It's weird, but now I'm much more relaxed about it. Probably because I've had time to think about it rather than trying to cram everything in so when the time came I could do anything. In all truth, I would be content to own a bookstore in Diagon Alley, selling novels of both the magical and Muggle persuasion. I could introduce a whole new chapter in literature to the Wizarding World, teach children to embrace the society beyond their magically protected walls, tell Muggle-born's to be proud of their heritage and educate them in ways that no Professor could ever accomplish.

It was silly, really. But even a bookworm like me can dream of having a steady dream job like that. Not that anyone knew, of course. I've never even told Joe. That pretty much says it all. One day I will, but for now I'll stick to the persona that I'll become a teacher or something. That was always an option.

"Ready to go?"

I flinched from my place on the common room couch and looked up to Potter. He wasn't sporting his usual smirk when he snuck up on me. Instead, he looked at me the same way he has been the past week, studying me. I clenched my teeth. "Sure."

He nodded and made for the portrait hole swiftly. And here we go.

I followed him out and saw Marie smiling at the two of us. Seeing Potter still walking towards to where we were supposed to patrol, I leaned in to whisper, "What are you smiling at?"

She shook her head. "Nothing, my dear, nothing at all."

I knew that was the most I was going to get out of the stubborn portrait, so I let it be. Besides, I didn't want Potter to think I had ditched him. That was his job.

It didn't take long to catch up with him and place myself manually at his side. He didn't seem to notice, though. His face was contorted to one of deep thought and I didn't feel like interrupting what looked to be a stimulating state of mind. Oh, who was I kidding? He was probably going over Quidditch statistics or something equally as boring. That's what all guys think about anyway. Well, except Joe. He's a different case. Sure, he's expressed how much he adores Quidditch, but that's not all of what he talks about. He speaks of literature and music and… I'm rambling again, aren't I? Damnit, I really need to invest in a pensive to sort out all of these thoughts for me. It would save me much more time that I could dedicate to studying and-well, that's it.

We rounded a narrow corner near the entrance hall and came upon a couple snogging as if it were their last day on earth. Honestly! Sticking your tongue down someone's throat isn't going to prove that you love them for all eternity.

"Hey you!" I yelled at the young couple, fourth years, by the look of their scrawny figures. They both stiffened and turned around. Seeing me and Potter, they quickly untangled themselves and looked up through hooded, puppy-dog eyes as though that was going to sway their punishment.

"Names and House?" I asked coolly.

"R-Rachel Simms, Hufflepuff." The girl stammered.

"Thomas Hill, Ravenclaw." The boy murmured in an equally, but less shaky, tone.

"Ten points from Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff for being out of your dorm after hours and inappropriate displays of affection. You will also serve detention next Tuesday with Professor Sprout for-"

"Wait, hang on." Potter interrupted from beside me. I, as well as Rachel and Thomas, looked over at him with confused faces. He directed his attention at me. "Hermione, don't you think that's a bit harsh for snogging in the hallway?"

"No." I said plainly. "They were disregarding the rules to wrap their arms around each other and suck each other faces off. I think it's safe to say that they were quite aware of the repercussions and deserve to be punished for ignoring the regulations for curfew and furthermore-"

"They're teenagers, Hermione, they do things like that. Don't tell me you've never snuck out of your dorm to snog someone before?"

"No, I have not. Why waste your time sneaking about when there are more important things to do?"

He ignored my comment and turned back to the two fourth years in front of us, who looked very uncomfortable where they stood. "You guys can go off to your dorm. Don't worry about that detention."

"Hey wait, you can't just-" They were halfway down the hallway before I could finish. Now infuriated, I turned back to Potter with a hot face. "What the hell was that about?! You can't just let them off that easy!"

"Uhh yeah I can." He said in an obvious tone. "Why were you so hard on them, anyway? You don't just give them detention for wanting to sedate some of those raging hormones."

"They were ignoring the rules to snog each other's brains out."

"So?"

"So they were outside of their dorms for a stupid reason!"

"And what would be a good reason? Going to the library to study for an upcoming exam?"

"Yes."

"It was a rhetorical question."

"Urg!" I yelled in annoyance, throwing my hands up in the air. "Just let it go, okay? You won; they're probably locking themselves in a broom cupboard or something equally as devoid of space."

He was silent and I let the tension of my stance relax. The last thing I needed was to get into an argument with him in the dark of the night. The thought alone was enough to make me regret ever letting my opinions overrun my sense of judgment. What if McGonagall was watching us? Highly unlikely, obviously, but still possible. It must be my tendency to get overly suspicious.

I turned my back to continue patrolling the corridor when I heard him speak once more. His voice was very soft, "You shouldn't judge someone because they're in love."

My neck snapped back before I twisted to face him. "What makes you think they're in love?"

He shrugged. "I never said they were."

"Then what's your point?"

"Just because someone has a different regard of things doesn't mean they do things without reason. They do it for their own motives and sometimes they're not what you think."

Something about that sentence struck a deep part of me. "You're one to talk."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I scoffed. "I'm not getting into this with you again."

"Why not?" He asked incredulously, craning his neck to the side.

"Because you know!" I screamed. He looked surprised to hear my raised voice, but I didn't care. "You know what you did! All I wanted to do was be your friend but you had to go on and ruin it! Did you even think about my feelings when you pushed me out?"

"What are you talking about, Hermione?!" He yelled, now looking a mix between perplexed and furious. "Time and time again you talk about the same thing, the same time, but never specifying what on Earth I did to make you hate me so much! If you didn't work it out by now that I'm completely clueless in that respect, you're a lot dumber than you look."

I stormed over to him, back slightly hunched over and face set with fury. "Why do you insist on acting so dense when I talk about it?"

"Because I have no idea what you're on about. I'm beginning to think that you're just making up reasons to hate me because you-you're… you're…" He trailed off as his eyes seem to catch onto something. They drifted down towards my chest and I lifted up my hands to cover myself up.

"What is with you and looking at my chest?!"

"I-I'm not looking at your chest, I'm-Hermione where did you get that necklace?"

I opened my mouth to yell at him but then realized his question was in regard to the shining transfigured rose necklace that dangled so limply in front of my jumper. Oh shit. "It was a gift. A birthday present."

"Oh Merlin…" He said, one hand clutching his head as though a giant wave of pain had just washed over him.

I may hate him, but he looked as though he were about to vomit. "Potter are you okay?"

"I told you to call me Harry." He said stubbornly.

I rolled my eyes and repeated the question. "Harry are you okay?"

He removed his hand and looked at me as if he was looking at a whole different person. I gave him an odd look in return. To be perfectly honest, he was making me feel very uncomfortable. Stripped, even, of my skin. It sounded weird, but I guess you can't really describe it. Maybe after he stopped looking at me like that, I could come up with another synonym. But right now my mind was kind of blank. Weird.

He averted his eyes from me and looked back at the necklace, and then away at the hallway behind me. "Actually I have to go."

"Go?" I asked dreamily.

"Yeah-uhm, see you later, `Mione."

He brushed past me so quickly I thought he might tip me over. Thankfully, I regained my balance and turned around to yell at his back. "Wait a second! We have rounds to finish!" He didn't seem to hear me as he kept at his speed and turned a corner the opposite way we came. "Never mind, then." I mumbled to myself. "I'll just finish them alone."

I continued down the hallway by myself with my hands knotted behind my back. I would never understand the workings of the male brain even if I tried. There was nothing in books that could prepare me for dealing with the inner operation of their mind. If only I would have studied Occlumency when I came across the book, I wouldn't have this problem. It would come in mighty useful right about now. And what about that nickname he gave me before he left? `Mione. My full name coming from his lips was enough of an annoyance, now he saw fit to shorten it as though we're bestest buddies?

Calm yourself, Hermione. You don't need this. Just forget about it and finish your rounds.

I took a deep breath and nodded to myself. I didn't need Potter to screw up my evening. I would forget about it and, when the event arose again, I would deal with it. But for now, I had a job to do.

~*~

My eyes flittered open and I let out a quiet yawn. Last night's rounds had worn me out big time. As much as I tried to forget it, I couldn't get Potter's look when he saw my necklace out of my mind. So many emotions had crossed his face: Anger, horror, relief, triumph, fear, and a bunch of others that I couldn't find the words for. I knew the gift was gorgeous, but it wasn't that mind boggling, was it?

Shaking my head, I got ready for the day quickly and went downstairs. Today was the first Hogsmeade trip of the year that I had planned. The weather outside looked mild, so I put on a long sleeved shirt and hooded sweatshirt paired with dark wash jeans and trainers. I grabbed a pair of wool gloves as an afterthought and slid them onto my hands. I wasn't very hungry for breakfast and wanted to get to Hogsmeade early to restock on some necessities, but mostly parchment because I was too afraid to use the kind Sue got me. There was also a rumor going around that a new clothing store had opened just before school started in the village, one that supplied dress robes for all occasions. Since the date for the ball had been set for after the holidays when everyone would be at school, it was a bit early to be looking for an outfit. But, if I had time, I may pay a visit.

The theme had also been announced to the school by Professor McGonagall, who saw fit to combine the winning theme, A Night in the Astronomy Tower, with Potter's oh-so-popular Masquerade idea to form "A Masquerade Under the Stars". As usual, Potter had gotten his way, and no combination of ideas could change that.

The carriages were all ready to go as I arrived and I chose the one in the front of the line. I climbed the hovering helper step and pushed in, letting myself fall onto the plush cushions as I waited to arrive. Only when the carriage began to move did I hear a rustling behind me. I stiffened and craned my neck to see an all-too-familiar face smiling softly down at me.

"Morning." Potter greeted.

"Morning." I replied softly. "Thanks for leaving me to patrol by myself, by the way."

He scrunched up his nose, a face I hadn't seen on him yet. "Yeah I-I had some business to take care of."

"We could have stopped to use the loo, you know."

He chuckled. "Not that kind of business, `Mione."

I paused. There it was again. "Why do you keep calling me that?"

His eyebrows narrowed. "Keep calling you what?"

"`Mione."

"Oh." He said, another one of his odd looks washing over his face. "I didn't-I didn't realize I had been. Sorry. I'll stop."

I nodded contently and lifted myself up, my back cracking loudly. We were nearly to Hogsmeade. Deciding it was best to just avoid Potter's eyes altogether, I diverted my attention to the window to look at the fall trees whipping past. It wasn't long before I saw the buildings of Hogsmeade and smiled. Looks like Potter wasn't in the mood for chit-chat for once.

I felt the carriage pull to a slow stop and as soon as it came to a halt, I slid out to the fresh air, leaving Potter far behind me. I felt the gravel crunch beneath my trainers as I walked towards Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop. I had been there before to buy quills and parchment and knew from experience that I much preferred The Write Expression. The cashier was always a cranky post graduate with attitude, and the owner, a stout man with crazy eyes, always tried to con you into buying quills that talked. His own invention, apparently.

I arrived at the small shop in High Street and pushed open the door. A high pitched bell chimed to alert the workers of my presence. I sprinted to the back of the store where the parchment was located to avoid the crazy storeowner and scanned the choices. There were pink bundles, and ones that were enchanted to sparkle under the right lighting. Knowing that it was a waste of money to buy parchment that was dyed and charmed to look pretty, I settled for the regular bland brand. I grabbed three packs to last me well after the holidays and arrived at the cash register without incident. I must have come on his day off or something. Thank Merlin.

The cashier this time was a twenty-something girl with hot pink hair, multiple ear, nose, and lip piercings, and overly done makeup. I know it's wrong to judge people, but I couldn't help but feel intimidated. She could be complimenting my hair and I would alert the Ministry. I hurriedly paid for my items and gingerly grabbed the bag she had stacked my parchment into. I rushed out the doorway and onto the vacant streets.

I really needed a personality change, this was getting ridiculous. I was superstitious, scared of basically anything that looked remotely intimidating, and in love with someone I had never met. Talk about a tragedy.

I continued to walk about the streets in a daze, when a glimmer caught my eye. I turned to the source and felt the breath leave me. There, incased in a glass window, was the single most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It was as pure as gold in color. A tight, strapless bodice sewn with small, glittering white diamonds that spilled halfway down the rounded skirt in small creases above a second tier of fabric that reached the floor in a neat bundle of chiffon that matched the first in color adorned the mannequin.

I don't think I have ever seen a dress that magnificent in all my life. I thought my Yule Ball dress was pretty but Merlin's beard. I could see myself walking into the great hall, mask on, hair done perfectly-I looked magnificent. Not like myself at all, which was perfect. I felt my feet drift towards the door and I didn't stop them. I wanted to try that dress on, if only to see what it would look like.

As I entered, I saw the elegant decorations and automatically felt out of place. I had been in a store like this before with my mum when she had to pick out a dress for a dentist's ball. Yeah, they had those. The assistants kept on telling her all this crap about how she should buy something else that would go great with the under layers, and how they were having a sale on fragrances. It was pathetic.

"May I help you, my dear?"

A kind-looking woman with silver hair and rosy cheeks looked at me with a small smile. She wore a knee-length, gray pencil skirt and pale pink turtle neck under a black work robe that I had seen many magical business owners wear before. It was a symbol of authority-she must own the store.

"Umm… yes. I was wondering if I could try on the dress in the display."

Her smile broke into a grin and she nodded. "I know exactly the one."

She walked over to a rack of gold-colored gowns and shifted through the hangers until she came upon what she was looking for. A replica of the dress I saw appeared in her hand and she held it out to me. I took it carefully as she pointed a finger to a pair of doors a few feet away from a half-circle of mirrors and platform.

"The dressing room is that way. I'll be with you in a moment after I finish taking inventory."

I nodded, not really knowing what to say. She made her way to the front desk and I followed her directions to the doors. The room that awaited me was brightly lit with three chandeliers. There was a line of dressing rooms aligning the left wall, and a long line of couches on the right. I chose the room nearest to the entrance and stripped down to try on the gown. I was a bit nervous, to tell you the truth. What if I ripped it? It looked as expensive as my house. I knew that I couldn't dream of affording this, but the curiosity was killing me.

I slid the dress on and felt it adjust to my body. Of course, it was a magical dress. The buttons in the back clasped themselves and the bottom rose so that it just grazed the floor. It fit me like a glove. There were no mirrors in the dressing room, of course, so I was forced to go outside in plain sight to see my reflection. I took a deep breath as I pushed open the doors and stepped onto the platform nearby. I had my eyes closed the moment my foot touched the first step on the raised surface and was having second thoughts about opening them. What if it wasn't what I expected? What if I looked horrible and instead of making me feel good, the dress made me feel horrible and I would lie in bed the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself?

"You should open your eyes."

The voice of the lady who had greeted me broke through my train of thought. I felt my eyes flutter open and look at the stranger in the mirror.

"Oh Merlin."

I saw the lady smile at me. "Yes, I do say that you look a sight in that dress. Gold is definitely your color"

I nodded numbly and turned around to see the glittering sparkles light up in front of my eyes. I really did look beautiful. Not to sound conceded or anything. Every girl has those moments where they don't know if it's them in the mirror or someone who looks very similar to them, but prettier. I knew it was me, but couldn't really believe it. The picture of myself entering the great hall flashed once again in my mind, this time with Joe looking at me with an open mouth. That picture proved it. I knew that this was the dress that I was going to be wearing.

I turned to the woman and asked the price.

"One hundred and fifty-two galleons"

My eyes popped out of their sockets. Holy shit. "O-oh my."

I knew the lady could tell my hesitance. "We have a layaway program, if you're interested."

I shook my head. "No, thank you. I couldn't come up with that kind of money if I tried."

My heart dropped as I realized that my dream of being the belle of the ball was ruined. I looked back at myself in the mirror and fiddled with the bodice, pulling it up an inch. It just wasn't meant to be.

Just then, I felt a strange sensation in the back in my head, the feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around quickly to look out the window nearby but saw no one. Looks like my superstitions throughout the day had brought me to the point where I was beginning to imagine things. Fantastic.

I thanked the woman and went back into the dressing room to change. After I pulled my sweater on and adjusted my gloves, I draped the dress over my arm and hung it on the empty rack in the middle of the room. It pained me, it really did. The picture I had painted of Joe looking at me in the great hall faded away and I bit my lip. So much for the perfect night.

I exited the store with a wave to the woman who had helped me and arrived on the streets. Turning back to the display, I gave my dream dress one last fleeting glance before turning to Honeydukes. I needed chocolate. Don't look at me like that! It's cheaper than therapy.

~*~

Link to the inspiration for Hermione's dream dress: http://www.misquincemag.com/cm/misquincemag/images/quinceanera-dress-Q372-F-de-79947199.jpg

-->