Unofficial Portkey Archive

My Confusing (and Hard to Believe) Love Life by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

My Confusing (and Hard to Believe) Love Life

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: As you can see, I'm a bit late on the update. Last weekend and the week following it were so hectic that I had no time whatsoever to write. I feel horrible but I'm sure I can make it up to you. This chapter right here is a pretty damn long one if I do say so myself, so that alone should make you very happy. And, because I love to spoil you, I have a mini-flashback! Oh yeah, you heard me right. I'm pretty proud of this chapter and hope you enjoy it. Ironically enough, I wrote 85% of this chapter while watching You've Got Mail. It was on TV yesterday and I was, like, "Well damn, if this isn't a sign to write, I don't know what is!" So I finished the movie and loved it! I found a lot of similarities between it and my story, actually. I can see where you guys got your ideas that I based my story on it. The main guy's name is Joe, they hate each other, and the girl is funny as hell. I found one more similarity, but I won't tell you because I haven't written it yet. For those who know the movie well, I think you can figure it out when it comes into play.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter isn't mine. Hermione Granger isn't mine. The only way they would be is if I had a time machine and wrote them myself before JKR even thought of it.

Enjoy!

-

Returning to a Dreaded Getaway

Time flies when you least want it to. Don't believe those other stupid quotes that tell you otherwise. The moments you want to last forever are the ones who fall to the wrath of time. Like life in general, it pretty much sucks.

It was now nine thirty, exactly an hour and a half before the Hogwarts Express left the platform. I was about to walk out the door as soon as I finished my traditional back-to-school breakfast. Every day since I started primary school, my parents have always gotten up an hour before me (not an easy feat as the years progressed, let me tell you) and cooked me a humongous breakfast-one that put my celebratory Head Girl meal to shame. There were scrambled eggs, wheat toast, flapjacks, sausages, bacon, hash browns, and my personal favorite, blueberry waffles. It was a wonder I never got fat. Thank you freakishly high metabolism.

My trunk and Crookshanks' carry-on were by the door, all ready to go. I had packed all of my necessary equipment, plus a few extra rolls of parchment and quills for obvious reasons. Sue had provided me with five years' worth of supplies, and for that I thanked her. Merlin knows I would need it. But the one thing that I refused to leave the house without was the 900-odd letters between me and Joe Bloggs. I never wanted to let them out of my sight, let alone risk my parents coming across them. The last thing I needed was them on my case about how I didn't need a pen-pal system to make friends. My mum would most likely tell my aunts and they would never let me forget it. So, naturally, bringing them with me was the only solution. I shrunk them down to the size of tiny gum pieces and put them in one of my porcelain boxes that most girls would use for make-up or accessories. In case you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not like most girls. If this is the first time that you're noticing this, I suggest you beef up your context clues.

I mentally checked off all of my supplies as I took one last gulp of my orange juice. Parchment, quills, uniform, extra robes, pointed hat, books, dragon hide gloves, cauldron, winter coat, brass scales, telescope. All set. I took my plate to the sink and rinsed of the excess syrup and crust. My mum looked up from her latest novel and I forced a smile. "I'm all ready to go."

"Great, honey. I've already got the car all warmed up for us. Oh, and don't forget your badge."

I looked over to where she pointed her thin finger and saw my shiny Head Girl badge lying helplessly next to my glass of orange juice. "Oh… right."

I picked up the badge and pinned it to my jumper. How could I have forgotten about my badge? I checked my back pocket and felt for my wand. I had remembered that, so why not my badge? A few months ago, I wouldn't be surprised if I only remembered my badge and forgot my whole trunk or even Crookshanks. How peculiar.

"Hermione?"

My dad's voice brought me out of my trance. "Yeah?"

He motioned towards the front door. "Ready?"

I nodded. "Yes-yeah."

I followed my parents out the door and into our four by four. You wouldn't take them for owning that type of vehicle, but apparently it had always been my father's dream to own one. You thought his pool obsession was bad? You should see him with this car. I wasn't even allowed to bring a juice pouch in because he didn't want to ruin the interior. I love my dad, but when I get older and earn enough money, I will be the first to hire a therapist.

The ride to King's Cross was a quiet one filled with my parents bickering over the background noise of talk radio. The whole ride there I tried to come up with reasons to be excited. It was school, so there was still a small something that kept me smiling… but that was it. I made a promise to myself not to try and figure out who my pen-pal was unless absolutely necessary-in case of emergency. I hadn't really thought of any situations that applied yet, but I figured I would know when they came. Even though I desperately wanted to know who he was more than anything. Especially after his last letter.

Dear Anonymous,

The summer has come to an end and I fear that our letters are going to suffer a large decrease in numbers. One of the small downsides to Hogwarts is that school becomes top priority. You have become one of my dearest friends throughout these past few months and I don't want to lose touch with you. I hope you feel the same about me or else I'll feel like a total sap-well, I'll feel like a sap either way, I suppose. I want to try and keep touch even though I know we'll both be focused on our school work. The truth is that even though I'll be surrounded by people, I know that you're the only one I truly care about. We agreed to keep this relationship faceless, and knowing who you are would make me a hell of a lot happier, but I think the anonymity of it all makes it easier to talk to you. No judgments, no worrying about rumors-it's a nice relief. Not that I don't trust you! Gods, I think I may trust you with my life. You've made this summer one to remember and for that I thank you. Let's hope this school year is one to remember.

Love,
Joe Bloggs

My stomach churned as I recounted his tender words. He trusted me with his life, even though he had no clue who I was. Despite what Sue said about how he would be a fool not to love me, I still had my doubts. I mean, who in their right mind would care about me? Hermione-doesn't-care-about-a-thing-except-work- Granger? Well, apparently Joe Bloggs sold his right mind a long time ago. I used to think it could all be bullshit-every one of his words, his compliments, his advice-complete dung. But then I realized that no one could be that good at faking compassion. If they could, they would be an actor and not writing letters to a desperate seventeen-year-old. A desperate seventeen-year-old who was quickly becoming a little too attached to her masked friend.

I haven't put a label on it yet, but I think you can guess what I'm talking about.

I had never really felt this way about someone before. The last time I had a hint of attraction was when Victor Krum asked me to be his date to the Yule Ball in my fourth year. There were butterflies in my stomach, my hands got all sweaty-it was pretty gross. But after he went back to Bulgaria I had to let him go. We had agreed to always be friends but I haven't received a letter from him in well over a year. I had tried telling myself that his famous Quidditch life had gotten in the way, but since finding out that it wasn't a year-round sport… it was safe to say that I could take a hint.

But this was different. This feeling, if you could call it that, had nothing to do with sweaty palms and butterflies. That was probably because I had never been around him-well, I probably had but not after the letters and this altered perspective. But nonetheless it was a feeling unlike any I had ever experienced. It felt like dependence, like I couldn't do anything without him. But that couldn't possibly be right. I hadn't even met this guy and here I was acting like some hormone-driven girly girl. The kind I dedicated my life to making fun of. Was that even possible?

Before I could elaborate any more on my dilemma, the car came to a smooth stop at the familiar train station. My mum turned to me and I gave her a small smile as I got out and retrieved my trunk and Crookshanks from the back. It was my dad's orders, so don't judge. Crookshanks was giving me an agitated look and I quietly apologized before my parents got out of the car. My dad quickly came up beside me and took my trunk and my mother gave me a quick side-hug.

"No need to be nervous, dear." She said soothingly, "Let's go."

Nervous? Wow, my mum was getting worse at reading me with age.

The three of us traveled through the mildly crowded station at a swift pace. I didn't bother looking around for the hidden platform, as my feet moved mechanically towards the familiar place between platforms nine and ten. I turned towards my parents to see them both sporting identical sad smiles. It was like this every year, but yet it still got to me. My lips downturned to a slight pout as they enveloped me in a group hug. It was like something you saw in those cheesy family movies, except real. I know, it's shocking. Unlike the movies, we only stood there like that for a good two second instead of twenty. Honestly, who hugs for twenty seconds?

My dad handed over my trunk and I kissed him on the cheek. "By dad."

"Goodbye sweetie."

I turned slightly. "Mum…"

Before I could finish my goodbye, she enveloped me in a bone-crushing hug. Okay that I was not expecting. I tried to wiggle around a bit to get some circulation back in my lungs, but it didn't help much. Thankfully, my dad pulled her off of me before I fainted.

There were tear stains on her cheeks that reached all the way down her neck. Her shoulders were hitching up and down as she tried to form a coherent string of words. I hadn't even realized she had been crying. I guess your air supply can vastly affect your grasp on your surroundings. Go figure.

"I… am going… to miss you… so much." She choked out.

I let out a small sniff and replied softly, "I'll miss you, too."

"P-please remember to w-write us."

"Don't I always?"

I gave my weeping mother one last tender hug before I went on my way. I could only look at her tear-stained face for so long before breaking down myself. And today, that was the last thing I needed to do. I was a mere inch away from the barrier that would lead me to the Hogwarts Express when I turned back around. I don't know what made me do it, instinct maybe? The always mysterious bond between parents and their child? Well, whatever it was, I caught my parents waving at me with forced smiles and I had to bite my lip from letting out a sob. Stupid sappiness. I waved meekly back at them and quickly ran through the metal barrier. The scene before me quickly turned to one of a nearly empty platform. There were a few early birds like myself loading their luggage and looking for a proper compartment, but other than that I was all by my lonesome.

I made my way through one of the many entrances to the train and pulled my trunk behind me. I recalled hazily where the Prefect's compartment was from last year. Oh, how I remembered how poised the former Head Girl was. She was beautiful, sweet, confident-too good to be true, really. If I hadn't witnessed watching her last year, I would have thought she wasn't real. Gods, how was I supposed to compete with that? I certainly wasn't beautiful, I was only sweet when I wasn't in a foul mood (which was a rare occasion, now that summer was over), and being confident wasn't even in my wiring. In fact, the only time I felt any sort of empowerment was when I was talking down to Potter. His stupidity brings out the best in me-how keen.

I reached the door to the compartment and sent out a few silent prayers that the Head Boy was going to be easier to deal with. Oh who was I kidding? How could the Head Boy be anything but? I inwardly chuckled at my unneeded worries and slid open the door. What awaited me was like a scene out of a pensive. Two boys were occupying the larger compartment surrounded by boxes of unopened candy containers. I stood frozen by the door for a second, unable to produce any words. But I was there for a reason, so I took a deep intake of breath and spoke with what I hoped was a dauntless voice.

"Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one."

I looked at the two boys expectantly and the red-haired one spoke up in an annoyed tone. "We've already told him we haven't seen it."

Instead of bluntly telling him how rude he was being like I would have done, I was entranced by the wand in his hand. It looked as though he was about to perform a spell. My attention was immediately drawn to it as I had never seen anyone else perform magic before. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then."

I sat down next to the boy and looked at him expectantly. He looked taken aback as I continued to stare. "Er - all right."

He cleared his throat and recited a chant that was unlike anything I ever read in my spell books.

Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow.

He waved his wand and nothing happened. The rat he was supposedly trying to change into a different color remained its boring shade of gray and asleep. Well that's what you get for using nursery rhymes in replace of actual spells.

I raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - I've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"

Truth be told, I said that around a million miles an hour. It happened whenever I was around new people. I felt the need to tell them my life story even though they were never really interested. I was trying to get better, but apparently my progress was a moot point. I was almost twelve and still had a mouth like my Aunt Gertrude-especially when she had one too many cocktails.

The black-haired boy looked at the redhead who was sporting a stunned look on his face. What? What did I say?

"I'm Ron Weasley." The redhead murmured.

"Harry Potter."

"Are you really?" I asked in excitement. "I know all about you, of course - I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

I was surprised I remembered all of the books. But, like I said, I become a blabbermouth around new people.

"Am I?" asked Harry, a look of daze on his bespectacled face.

"Goodness, didn't you know, I'd have found out everything I could if it was me." I said. "Do either of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad… Anyway, we'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You two had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon."

The boys, from what I gathered, didn't seem too interesting. Well, except Harry. I mean, Harry Potter at Hogwarts? Well, it was an honor to be in the same compartment as him as it was. I'm sure he was a nice boy, from the way he presented himself. But I had to leave and help Neville. I had made him a promise and I always stick by my promises. You can quote me on that. That redheaded boy, though, he was an odd one. Not particularly nice, but that could be because of my somewhat pushy first impression. Ahh, well. I would see them in due time and make better judgments. Maybe, f I was lucky, I would even be their friend. That would be lovely-friends on my first day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I left with Neville trailing behind me. But as I pulled the compartment door shut, I head Ron's voice and couldn't help but hear what he had to say.

"Whatever house I'm in, I hope she's not in it."

I felt my breath catch in my throat as I clicked the sliding door closed. Never mind making better judgments. I could already tell that Ron Weasley wasn't and was never going to be my friend.

Well, there was always Harry Potter.

The now fully grown pubescent boys turned to look at me as I spoke in a déjà vu tone. "Please tell me you're just here for the free sandwiches."

"There are free sandwiches?" Ron asked in a hopeful tone.

I scoffed. "You're the one who's been a prefect for two years, you tell me."

He gave me a sour look and got back to pigging out on his licorice wand. I rolled my eyes and turned to the other one, who was currently looking at my chest. I immediately covered myself and looked at him in disgust. "Excuse me!"

He seemed to break out of his trance and met my eyes with a small smirk. "Don't flatter yourself." He got up and walked towards me. I inched further away, my arms still crossed at my chest, and he chuckled deeply. What could possibly so funny? He reached out a hand and touched my arm, inching it down slowly as if it were nothing. And I was putting up one hell of a resistance, let me tell you.

Alright so I was lying. I don't work out; therefore, my poorly toned arms were no match for the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain and his muscular fingers. I hated being helpless sometimes. The only thing I had as a defense mechanism was my wits. Fantastic. So I was defenseless against him trying to feel me up. Right in front of his best friend! And I thought he was just stupid. Now he's stupid and dense.

As he removed both of my arms, I prepared myself to punch him with all of the strength I had. I'll show the pervert who's really in charge here. But his words stopped me in my tracks. "I was actually looking at that." He pointed at my badge. I was confused for a moment, until he pointed at his own chest. "Jinx."

He was sporting an identical badge that shone with the brightness of a blinding car light that was about to run you over. The truth-or in this case, the car-hit me. It hit me hard. Ohmigod.

"You-you're Head Boy?"

"Yup."

"I can't believe this. You were never even a prefect! How on Earth did you manage to get the top position of authority at school when you can't even keep yourself out of trouble?"

He put a hand to his chest, covering his badge and getting the headlights to stop shining on my face if only for a moment. "Hey, for your information I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble finds me!"

"Oh please." I drawled, not believing a single word coming out of his mouth. "You should really carry a toilet around with you, because I don't want my loafers to become a permanent container of shit coming out of your mouth."

"Cute, very cute, Fuzzball. Tell me, how many professors did you have to suck up to in order to get here? Oh Professor Snape your hair looks especially silky today."

"That's disgusting. Almost as disgusting as you."

"Now that hurt." He said mockingly.

"Liar. Because that would imply that you have feelings."

He stared at me for a moment. "Are you insinuating that I'm some sort of robot?"

"No." I said honestly. "I am insinuating that you are a puppet. A puppet that has no mind of his own and only does things to please others. Don't think I can't see through your façade."

"I'd rather be a puppet than an insufferable know-it-all."

"Oh that's original; I haven't heard that one before. Where did you pick up on your insults, the primary playground?"

He glared at me and opened his mouth for another insult (probably not a good one, but one nonetheless) when a small voice from behind me spoke up and interrupted him.

"Excuse me, is this where the Prefect's meeting is?"

I turned around and saw a petite fifth year with short blonde hair and rosy cheeks looking at me with wide eyes. I smiled at her obvious intimidation. I remember when I was like that, and how the Heads helped me on my way to becoming a better prefect. With their kind faces in mind, I smiled at the girl and nodded. "Yeah, this is the place. I'm Hermione Granger, you're Head Girl."

I stuck out my hand for her to shake and her composure seemed to relax a bit. "Jenny Cleary."

"Well it's nice to meet you, Jenny. This is Harry Potter, your Head Boy."

Her eyes seemed to widen to the size of golf balls when she got a good look at him. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as she brushed past me to shake Potter's hand as well, but noticeably more vigorously. "It's an honor to meet you, Mr. Potter."

Potter smiled in what the younger girl must have thought a charming manor. "Call me Harry."

"Okay… Harry." The girl giggled and I suppressed a gag. If this was what I was going to have to deal with all year, I had to invest in some anti-nausea potion from the hospital wing. These girls would be the death of me. The worst part of it was that he actually enjoyed the attention. It was disgusting. He was nothing more than a horny puppet.

The two continued in a conversation that I didn't care to hear the specifics of, so, to save myself, I took a seat in the far corner and prepared my opening speech for when the rest of the returning and new prefects arrived. My hand brushed up against my porcelain box and I resisted the urge to take a letter out and re-read it. I needed to focus on my speech and nothing else. If I didn't review it, I would start babbling again. The last thing I wanted was to be a horrible leader to the prefects. I took out my speech and began to read over my carefully places words. I took out a quill not two minutes after I started and began to scratch out grammar mistakes, horrible syntax, and just plan awful tone. I am never writing a speech at two o'clock in the morning again. Truth be told, I wrote this whilst waiting for another letter. It was one of those nights when neither of us could sleep so we decided to talk to one another. I figured he couldn't live too far from me, because Hedwig always returned within a half an hour. But since I didn't usually bother with watching television to pass the time away like a majority of the human population, I settled with working on my speech. Bad idea.

By the time the rest of the prefects filed in, my speech was hardly legible. I crumpled up the useless parchment and threw it to the ground. I had a good grasp of what I had written, so I would be fine. Just fine. And if I chose to empty the contents of my breakfast on the students in front of me, I knew the charm to clean it right up. I was ready.

Harry was busy mingling with most of the seventh year Prefects so I knew the duty of running the meeting was going to be on me. What a shocker. I clapped my hands together loudly and got the attention of a handful of students. I tried again and got a few more. Sighing, I took my wand out of my pocket and cast a quick alarm charm I had found a few months previous when catching up on some spells. It was mostly used on the field with Aurors when they needed to call attention to their fellow forces. I felt it was appropriate for the occasion.

The loud noise surely made an impact. I saw some jump in midair as others just covered their ears. It was a humorous sight, but being the bigger person required me to contain my laughter. After a moment the chatter finally died down and I removed the spell. All eyes were on me, some not so friendly, and I figured now was the time to speak up before they all jumped me.

"Umm… hi," I started meekly. "Well we all know why we're here-we were all chosen to help bring order to the school in result of our performances with leadership. With your newfound influence over your fellow classmates comes responsibility. Harry and I will assign you all patrol hours in which you must walk the corridors and check for any stray students that should be in bed. Returning prefects, you know that you are only allowed outside of your common room after hours for this reason and if you are caught by a fellow prefect, teacher, or myself and Harry, your punishment will be determined by your head of house and may very well result in the stripping of your position. You also have access to the private bathroom in which you may choose as a getaway when things get a bit hectic. The password this year is spring breeze, so please use it wisely. The date of the next meeting is Wednesday where you will get your patrolling assignments for the week and be asked to bring forth any issues you find taking place in your house that we, as a group, can help fix. Any questions?"

Not a hand was raised and I smiled smugly. Turning to Potter, whose eyes were, surprisingly, on me for once, I asked sweetly, "Anything you want to add, Harry?"

"Why yes, Hermione, there is." He answered. Yet again, a most unexpected occurrence.

He walked to stand to my right, a good inch from my arm. He addressed the room with an air of confidence that I could only hope I presented as I went over the regulations. "This is my first year with a position of this much importance and I must say that I am honored." I rolled my eyes. "I would like to bring up the issue of Quidditch try-outs as well. As Gryffindor Quidditch Captain, I know that in order to hold try-outs, you must go to your head of house before properly assigning a date. Since I know most of you are either captains yourselves or are on your house team, I would like for you to pass around that a sign-up sheet for appropriate dates will be posted in the entrance hall for all captains to see and use for their try-outs after the date is approved by their head. The reason for this is because in previous years, we have always had the issue of conflicting dates and I, for one, would like to save us the hassle and get straight to the game. So get the date approved quickly so you can sign up for it before another team does. Remember, the faster you pick your team, the faster you can start practices."

He ended with a grin and got a round of thunderous applause from a group of girls directly in front of us. I hated to admit it, but he actually made sense. Who would have thought that Potter actually prepared for this meeting?

I clapped my hands together and spoke over the now faded applause. "Well that's it, everyone. If you'll take a look to your right, there is a list of patrol times on the wall for the remainder of the train ride. Remember, it's your responsibility to help the younger students find their way to Hagrid and the carriages."

They all made a beeline for the list except a few who I knew to be Slytherins by the way they were lounging on the seats. Plus, Malfoy was in the middle of them, sneering at the way all of the others were so eager to get their first assignment. I have no idea how he's kept his Prefect position for so long, but if I had anything to say about it, it would be gone within a week's time.

The students returned to their compartments little by little with a few straggling behind to ask a few questions or start their patrols in the nearby cart. I chose to stay in here, as I had no other carriage to go to. My things remained untouched as I pulled out one of the books I had brought to read for leisure, Hogwarts: A History (Revised Edition). Whilst shopping for my remaining books I had to purchase for school, I came upon this little beauty at Flourish and Blott's. The display case alone was so beautifully decorated that it was a no-brainer to buy-besides, I knew my old copy was vastly outdated and I deserved to update it. I had worked hard for my pay, so why not splurge once in a while on things other than necessities? Well, books were kind of a necessity to me anyway, so it wasn't as if I was spending all of my money on useless things like new dress robes. Not that I would need any.

I knew that the Head's were never assigned patrols on the train, so I didn't have to worry about being interrupted by anything or anyone. The only thing I had left to do before getting back to Hogwarts was change into my robes. And, being the only one left in the compartment for small periods of time, I had plenty of opportunities to choose from to change. I was a pretty fast changer and had purposely worn clothes that were easy to take off. Not like that you perverts! It was strictly professional. So, when I knew I would be alone for a good measure of time, I put down my book and grabbed my robes, not bothering to lock the compartment. Bad idea.

I had put on my skirt, socks, and Mary Janes without incident. But as soon as I grabbed my white-collared shirt, the door began to open and I had no time whatsoever to cover myself properly. I tried to come up with something in my head to make me feel better. It was only another fifth year confused about his or her new shift… that was all. Just a fifth year.

Unfortunately, someone up there doesn't like me and I was standing face-to-face with my co-Head. He stood there shocked for a moment and I chose that time to properly cover myself up with the fabric of my shirt. I saw a tiny smirk begin to form on his face and prepared myself for one of his snide remarks.

"Nice bod, Granger."

I scowled at him and turned around so that I could properly button up my shirt without being too scrutinized. Apparently, though, he wasn't done.

"Hey, it was a compliment, no need to shy away."

"You've never once complimented me in all of the time we've known each other, so why now? I know it's just you and your clever little way of insulting me. I'm not stupid."

He was silent and I nodded to myself. That's what I thought.

I pulled my jumper over my head and pinned my Head Girl badge to it. We should be arriving soon, so I looked out the window and saw the gleaming lights of the large castle in the distance. I smiled and turned around to see Potter still standing there, looking at me. I didn't like it when he did that. It made me think he was plotting more ways to make my life miserable.

"What are you still doing here? Don't you have your friends to get to?" I asked icily.

"We're supposed to help with the younger students getting on the carriages and stuff, right? Ron told me the Heads always do it together."

"Oh, right. Well they don't have to."

"You want to get rid of me." I said bluntly.

"Obviously."

"Then I'll stay by your side the whole time."

I groaned and dropped the conversation. This is why people like Potter shouldn't be allowed to think, it always lead to bad things. Very bad things. Especially to people like me-possibly the only person, besides the Slytherins, who couldn't stand him. He seemed so nice on the first train ride, why did he have to go off and ruin it? Things may have been different. But at least now I had someone to practice my wits on to sharpen them for later use. Sue always said that good wits could get you places. That's how she got her first loan on the shop. She had made friends with the goblin in charge and gotten a great deal on it. Oh Sue, where are you now?

The train came to a slow stop and I grabbed my trunk and Crookshanks. Surprisingly, he hadn't tried to paw his way out of the cage this time. Usually, he reached out a paw and I let him out to wander around the compartment. Odd. I shook it off as nothing and followed Potter out of the compartment in silence. We both emerged onto the crowded platform and started our first assignment together. We took turns giving directions to younger years and making sure the Prefects were doing their job. Not surprisingly, I saw Malfoy get onto the first carriage to Hogwarts, ignoring the calls of his fellow students. At least Potter had the decency to help. Wait, hold up. I was actually considering Potter to be a better influence than Malfoy? Oh, I needed to lie down.

Thankfully, it didn't take long to escort the students to their destinations and soon me and Potter were in the last carriage with a few straggling students, a pair of girls. They gave us a good once over and began whispering to each other, no doubt a rumor in its beginning stages. It was commonly known that Potter and I detested each other. So the news that we were both the chosen Heads was sure to cause quite a stir. I really couldn't wait to see what they came up with. It was easy to laugh off as nothing. Not one person in the school knew me, so who were they to dictate what I did or didn't do in the form of petty rumors? I liked to think of myself as the higher person in the situation. Only once had someone's comments about me really dug deep. But now wasn't the time to dig that up, especially with one of the perpetrators sitting three inches away from me.

The carriage arrived at the school in silence, save for the whispered conversation of Tweedledee and Tweedledum. The breeze outside was light as I laid my trunks down with the others already piled up. I whispered a quiet goodbye to Crookshanks and put him with the rest of the pets. I looked around for a familiar bundle of white feathers but found nothing. I swallowed my disappointment and continued on my way towards the castle.

The Great Hall was exactly the way I remembered it, a night sky painted on the high ceiling almost as bewitching as its counterpart just outside the windows. I took my seat in a less crowded part of the Gryffindor table and awaited the first years to go through their sorting. It came and went quicker than I remembered it as a first year myself and before I knew it, Dumbledore arose for his traditional beginning of term speech. All eyes were on him as he clapped his hands. The silence was almost deafening before he chose to speak.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" He began cheerily. "First, I would like to announce that the summer communication system that the professor's and I cooked up at the end of last term was a huge success so thank you to all who participated. We have all decided to allow the system to continue throughout the school year but ask that you still focus on your studies as well." He gave a meaningful look at the crowd and some chucked. "If all goes well, we are prepared to reward you with a celebratory ball for all participants. But this goal can only be reached if you all keep up with your lessons as well. For those who wish to sign up, I'm afraid we can only offer new match-ups at the end of the year. But for those involved now, I hope that you find your match to be pleasing if you choose to reveal yourselves." At that moment, I swear that he was looking at me. Impossible, my eyes must be playing ticks on me.

"As for other news, I would like to announce our new Head Girl and Boy for this year. Please stand up when I call your name. Remember that your Heads are here to help with order and have every right to punish and take away house points as the professors and I. Take a bow, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger!"

I stood up meekly and the applause was almost overwhelming. I knew it wasn't for me, so I didn't let my head get too big. It was all for him. I could hear whispers similar to the ones I heard from the two girls on the carriage all around me and tried to ignore them as I sat down. Dumbledore continued with his speech, but I wasn't listening. I was too entranced with the whispers. Did that many people have an opinion of me? No, wait. I'm not supposed to care. Their opinions meant nothing. They were like gnats, easy to ignore. Who cared what they thought of me? The only person's thoughts I cared about were Joe Bloggs'. What if he was one of the ones whispering? Is that why I'm being so paranoid? What if he's looking at me right now and making a bet with his friends on when Potter and I would kill each other?

Impossible. He would never do that. He was too kind.

But what if he was only kind to me, Anonymous, but, like everyone else in this school, made fun of bookworm Hermione Granger? The fears I had expressed to Sue were all coming back. If we ever chose to reveal ourselves, would he be disappointed, angry, amused? Oh Merlin, I think I was going to faint. I looked around me and saw twenty guys that could very well be my Joe Bloggs. He could be eating, talking, laughing. He could be blonde, brunette, ginger, or ebony haired. His eyes could be blue, brown, green, hazel, gray, or even purple. He could be anyone. Why did that scare me? I knew him, and I knew that he liked me for me.

Then why, in the pit of my stomach, did it feel like an avalanche just fell. What exactly was I getting myself into?

-->