Unofficial Portkey Archive

Story of a girl called Hermione Granger by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Story of a girl called Hermione Granger

rockstar

New Year Ball

---------------------------------------

Hermione burst out laughing at this. "Honestly dad, like that's ever going to happen." She said and left the room, leaving her bewildered parents behind.

Jane smiled and whispered "We'll see."

"What?" Robert asked in a perplexed manner.

"Nothing dear, now come on let's go or we would be late." Jane said, as she left the room with Robert to go to the ball.

---------------------------------------

Luna was already there when Hermione arrived downstairs.

"Hey Luna, when did you arrive?" Hermione asked, coming downstairs. Luna was standing near the stairs as Hermione came down.

Luna was going to the ball with the Grangers. She was going to meet Ron, her date for the evening, at the ball.

Luna's parents, Xenophilius and Avellana Lovegood also had friendly connections with the James and Lily Potter; hence they were also invited for the ball. But due to an urgent meeting about their magazine The Quibbler, they were not going to attend the ball. So they had asked Robert and Jane, if they could take Luna with them.

"I just arrived here a couple of minutes back. Your dad let me in." Luna replied.

When Hermione reached down, to where Luna was standing, she realized that Luna was looking very beautiful. She was wearing a shimmering light blue off shoulder gown, flowing down to her ankles. Her blond colored hairs were gracefully falling down to her waist in the soft curls. She was wearing a simple necklace, which Hermione knew belonged to her Grandmother.

"Luna, you are looking gorgeous." Hermione said in an appreciative voice.

"Thanks Hermione. You are also looking very stunning." Luna said sincerely.

"Yeah, I know." Hermione said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Hermione" Luna said sternly "Why do you always act like this, whenever somebody praises you for your looks? You are a pretty girl. Believe it."

"Luna, let's not talk about it right now. I am looking forward to completely enjoy this evening." Hermione said firmly.

"Okay, but we will talk about it later. You are not getting off this topic, so easily." Luna replied with a determined look on her face.

"Hello Luna dear." Jane said, as she along with Robert came down "I hope you weren't waiting for long."

"Hello Mrs. Granger. I just arrived here a couple of minutes back." Luna said politely.

"Yeah, it was just a couple of minutes." Robert said who had opened the door for Luna.

"So, shall we leave, my 3 dear ladies?" Robert asked playfully.

Hermione just rolled her eyes, while Luna laughed. And Jane…she just smiled at her husband.

"Of course Rob, let's go." Jane said, taking Robert's hand and leading all of them out of the house, where their car, Mercedes-Benz CL550 was parked. Usually Robert had this habit of driving the car by himself on the family excursion, but for the New Year Ball, he had asked Hermione's Uncle, John Smith, to send his driver for the evening.

Robert took the front seat and Jane, Hermione and Luna settled themselves on the backseat. Car was going at normal speed, neither too slow nor too fast. It took them about 45 minutes to reach at the Potters' place. They were just a couple of minutes late from the given time.

As Potter's family was one of the oldest families of London, they owned a very big manor, having an ancient but very well maintained and elegant look to it. It was completely decorated with bright lights and various kinds of flowers, making it look incredibly wonderful. Hermione was simply amazed to see the place.

"Wow, it's beautiful." Jane said with awe, as their car entered the main gates. Rest of her companions agreed with her.

As they reached to the entrance of the manor, Hermione realized that the manor looked absolutely breath-taking, at the closer view. Four of them got out of the car and entered the place. James Potter was already there at the entrance, waiting for them.

"Robert, Jane" he said, contentment laced with his voice, as he looked at them.

"Finally you all are here. I have been waiting for you, for so long, for almost 5 minutes." James said with mock serious tone.

"Oh shut up James. Please don't act like a baby, at least not in the front of these two lovely young teenage girls." Lily said as she joined the group and gestured towards Hermione and Luna. James pouted while Robert, Jane, Hermione and Luna laughed.

"You are no fun, love." James said teasingly, kissing Lily lightly on the lips.

Lily smiled "I am glad you guys are finally here." She said.

After a brief exchange of pleasantries

"Luna, where are your parents?" James asked, looking at Luna.

"Err…Mr. Potter, they are having a very important meeting tonight, so they won't be able to attend the ball. They have sent their apologies." Luna replied sincerely.

"Oh! Umm...well, it's ok dear. We are very happy to have you here." Lily said in caring tone.

"Thank you Mrs. Potter." Luna said with a genuine smile.

With that Lily and James led all of them inside.

--------------------------------------------

"This is our old family manor. Many Potter generations have lived here in the past. James's parents live here, so we have a New Year Ball here, every year. If you ask me, it's just an excuse for the whole family to gather at one place, at least once in a year." Lily said as they reached the ball room.

"It's a beautiful place." Jane said, looking around admiringly.

They finally reached the ball room. It was huge and was decorated with lots of colorful heart-shaped balloons, white flowers and colorful lights. There were many people, dressed very nicely for the occasion. They were talking, laughing, dancing, eating and drinking. It looked like a very warm and joyful reunion.

"It looks very nice and cozy." Hermione whispered to herself but James heard her.

"You are right Hermione. It's a family time, so there's no place for pretenses." James said, smiling warmly at the brunette. Hermione in return, gave him a genuine smile of hers.

Lily looked at Robert and Jane "We have made some different arrangements here. We have divided the ball in 2 parts. One is for us, adults and one is for our teenage guests. I hope you don't mind if Luna and Hermione join them. It's been organized in our gardens." Lily said, gesturing towards the door which led to the gardens outside.

Hermione was surprised to hear this. She looked at Luna who was positively beaming. Hermione nudged her "It will definitely give you a lots of private time with your dear Ronald, without any interruptions from the adults." Hermione whispered with a playful grin on her face. Luna blushed and shyly nodded.

"You mean a place, full of hormones driven teenagers." Robert asked in a shocked voice.

"Language Robert," Jane said sternly. James started laughing, as Robert turned red because of embarrassment.

"Sorry Lily and we don't have any problem with your arrangements." Jane said with a friendly smile. Then she turned to Luna and Hermione.

"You both can go, but don't go around kissing some random guy." She said jokingly.

"Mum!" Hermione exclaimed, her eyes wide. Everyone started laughing including Robert.

"Hermione when we leave, bring Romilda along with you." Robert said, knowing that Romilda was joining the ball with her friends.

"Yeah dad," Hermione said.

"Hermione, Luna, your party is out in the gardens. I'll just call Harry to escort you both there. And I am sure Ron wouldn't mind to come along." Lily said in amused manner, as she looked at Luna. Luna smiled at her bashfully.

"Umm…no Mrs. Potter, that won't be necessary. We will find our way out. Mum, Dad we'll see you later." Hermione said in a hurried tone and dragged Luna through the door that Lily had mentioned earlier, which led them to the gardens.

-----------------------------------

"Hermione relax." Luna said, stopping Hermione from going any further. They had reached to the gardens. They could see the crowd, a little distance away. As Hermione and Luna slowly made their way towards the party, Hermione realized that most of them were of their age.

"I thought it was going to be very cold out here. But it's quite warm." Luna said as they entered the party area.

"Yeah, they must have taken care of this, as it's December and party is out here." Hermione said absentmindedly, as her eyes looked around for a particular head of messy hair. To her relief she couldn't find it, so she relaxed a bit.

Hermione could see many of her classmates, and schoolmates from different classes. Romilda was already there with a blond guy. Hermione was sure that he wasn't Malfoy, as Potter Vs Malfoy family rivalry was quite famous.

"Oh Hermione look, there's Ronald." Luna said excitedly, pointing towards her left. Hermione looked that side, to find Ron Weasley coming towards them with a wide grin on his face.

"Luna" Ron said as he reached the spot, where Hermione and Luna were standing.

"Hello Ronald" Luna said, smiling dreamily at him.

"Hello" Hermione said. Ron nodded in her direction, though his eyes were fixed on Luna only. Hermione smiled inwardly at this.

'I hope this Ron would really do some good for Luna. He seems completely smitten with her.' Hermione thought.

"Wow Luna, you look gorgeous." Ron said, taking Luna's hand and kissing the back of it.

"Thank You Ronald. You are also looking quite handsome." Luna replied happily. Ron beamed at her.

"Nice to see you as well Hermione," Ron said.

'"Same here" Hermione replied.

Ron led them to a table, where 3 of them sat down.

"What would you like to have?" Ron asked Luna.

"Nothing for now, we have just arrived. I am not feeling like taking anything for the moment. May be later," Luna replied softly. Ron turned to Hermione "Hermione would you like to have something?" he asked.

"No thanks" Hermione said.

Ron just shrugged his shoulders and left to get a drink for him.

--------------------------------------

After a couple of minutes he came back with a glass of drink and some cookies. He sat down and started filling his mouth with cookies. He offered cookies to both Luna and Hermione but they both politely refused. Ron continued to eat cookies.

"Is this drink alcoholic?" Hermione asked, eying the drink in his hand suspiciously.

Ron chuckled at this.

"No. Mr. and Mrs. Potter are strictly against underage drinking. All the drinks here are non-alcoholic." Ron replied. Hermione just nodded, but looking at his eating manners, she was getting tad annoyed.

"Can't you eat a bit slowly?" Hermione asked, looking annoyed.

Ron swallowed and asked "Why? What's wrong?"

"It looks disgusting." Hermione said exasperatedly.

Ron was going to retort, but Luna interrupted their argument.

"C'mon Hermione, let him eat the way he wants. He looks so adorable." Luna said languorously, looking at Ron with a lovely smile.

Ron grinned at her and kissed her on the cheek. "That's my girl" he said to Luna who looked pleasantly surprised by the kiss and blushed prettily.

Hermione frowned at her friend's biasness. Ron smirked at her and started eating again. Soon Ron and Luna were lost in their own conversations, whispering softly to each other, leaving Hermione in the world of her own thoughts.

Hermione looked at people around her. They were talking, laughing, eating, kissing, and dancing. Most of them had come to the ball with their dates, making her feel like she was the only one without a date.

'I must be looking so pathetic without a date. I should have never come here.' Hermione thought dolefully.

Luna sighed. Hermione looked towards her, only to find her best friend looking at dance floor longingly. Hermione just shook her head.

'She is not going to ask him and looking at this Ron, it doesn't look like he is thinking about dancing at all. For him it's all about eating.' Hermione thought.

"Ron" Hermione called.

"Yeah" Ron replied

"Why don't you both go for a dance?" Hermione said "It's a ball after all."

"No I won't leave you alone." Luna said, protesting her friend's idea.

Hermione huffed at her statement. "Honestly Luna. I am not a 5 year old kid who would get lost. Just go and dance. I know how much you want to." Hermione said with some sort of finality in her voice.

"Okay. If you say so," Luna said, trying to sound a bit dejected, but Hermione could see the corners of her mouth tugging upwards, leading to a wide smile.

Now that the matter was resolved, Ron got up and looked at Luna "So, can I have a dance with this lovely girl in front of me?" Ron asked in a dramatic gentleman fashion, offering his hand to Luna.

Luna simply giggled at his antics and put her in Ron's hand.

"By all means, oh my great Sir Ronald Weasley." She said in her dreamy voice. Ron chuckled at her response and pulled her out of her seat and led her to the dance floor. Hermione smiled at the couple with red and blond hairs, moving towards the dance floor

----------------------------------------

'Well Hermione you did a very noble thing by sending your best friend to dance, with the boy of her dreams. But what now? You are again sitting alone, just like the day of Christmas and then the Potter Boy joined you, leading to all the complications you faced after that. And here again I am, loosing myself in the nonsensical thoughts of mine. Pathetic Hermione, really pathetic,' Hermione pulled herself out of her musings and once again looked around thinking about what to do now.

And then her eyes fell on him, none other than Harry Potter. He was dancing with a girl with the beautiful red hairs. He was looking quite handsome in his black suit without a tie. It suited him perfectly, with his well-shaped body and messy hair and not to forget, his unforgettable emerald orbs.

The redhead also looked very beautiful. She had a slim figure and she fitted well in Harry Potter's arms. Her red hair complimented well to Harry's dark black hair. They both looked quite a couple, swaying very gracefully on the dance floor.

Then she realized. 'They both look like young James and Lily' Hermione contemplated.

Hermione felt a sad feeling making its way into her heart, though she didn't know why. As much as she wanted to, she couldn't stop her musings about what she was seeing and feeling

'That girl must be his girlfriend. Of course, after all they are looking so good together. But why am I feeling sad? It's not as though if I like him. Hell! He won't even give me a second look. He must have already forgotten about me by now.'

Doesn't matter how much Hermione tried, that sad feeling wasn't going away. She had never felt this way before and now it was hurting a bit too much. She didn't know how to stop it. Right now a part of her wanted nothing more than go to home but other part, a bigger one, wanted to dance with Harry Potter, wanted to be in his arms.

Hermione looked away from them and again started to look at the others, enjoying their party time.

"Look who's here." Somebody spoke, from behind Hermione.

Hermione just rolled her eyes. She could always recognize that haughty voice. She turned her face around to look at Cho, Lavender and Parvati. Romilda wasn't with them, Hermione noticed. Her eyes flicked towards the dance floor, where she could see her cousin with her date, not paying any kind of attention towards Hermione.

Cho and her minions came and stood right in front of Hermione. "What are you doing here Granger?" Cho asked arrogantly "Who invited you here?"

"I don't think it's necessary to tell you who invited me here, since this ball have been organized by the Potters." Hermione said coolly.

"Really, but it doesn't seem as if anyone wants you to be here, as you are sitting here all alone. Looks like no boy asked you to be his date." Lavender said with a mock pity voice, then burst out laughing.

"Didn't you know it's a ball and you would need a date?" Parvati added snootily, with a loud voice, to attract others.

Some of the eyes had turned towards them. Hermione stood up and glared at them. "And tell me how come about me not having a date is your business? As far as I know, it has nothing to do with you three." Hermione said angrily, though in a low voice.

Cho stepped forward towards Hermione so that they were just 2 feet apart.

"We are just trying to help you Granger, by showing you where you exactly belongs." Cho said in a too sweet voice.

"Right girls?" Cho said snootily, looking at the girls standing behind her.

"Right" Both Lavender and Parvati said in unison.

Hermione felt mortified, but held her head high. But Cho didn't stop at that. It appeared as though if she was in her full form today, to humiliate others.

"What do you think, by dressing up like this you would all of a sudden turn into a beautiful girl and boys would start liking you?" Then she lowered her voice so that only Hermione, Lavender and Parvati could hear her.

"You are an ugly and pathetic girl, Hermione Granger. Do you think that by changing your looks, you can attract Harry Potter? His taste is far better than looking at something as hideous as you." Cho finished with a smug smile on her face.

Hermione tensed a bit. On any normal day, she would have retorted back to the insults Cho was throwing at her. But this night she felt like her voice was stuck in her throat, struggling to make its way to her lips. She was trying but her lips were not moving at all, as Cho's hurtful words pierced through her mind.

She could feel tears welling up in her eyes, but she controlled her emotions and blinked away her tears, before Cho could notice.

As soon as Cho mentioned about Harry Potter, Hermione immediately understood that Romilda had finally opened her mouth in front of Cho and her gang about what happened at the Christmas dinner party.

"Looks like my cousin had finally spilled the beans. Huh?" Hermione said, trying to sound indifferent, but inside she was hurting.

"She's a brainy girl and knows, with whom to stick with." Cho replied with conceited look.

For the first time in her life Hermione didn't know what to say. She knew that most of the things Cho said were probably right, but she didn't want those things to affect her. But she couldn't stop herself from feeling hurt. However, she was not going to let it go so easily, not without a fight. She was about to retort, when she felt a hand sliding around her waist. She looked behind her to see who it was, and to her surprise she met a pair of intense emerald green eyes, eyes which haunted her thoughts and dreams these days.

-------------------------------------

Harry James Potter was a handsome 16 year old, young boy. Girls always threw themselves at him. All the girls he had ever met in his life were charmed by his personality and talks. They would do anything to grab his attention.

And today here he was, on the eve of the New Year. He hadn't brought any girl as a date with him and was getting nervous about seeing a particular girl. He was feeling a bit frustrated and puzzled since the day of Christmas. And the thing that his father was teasing him since then, about a certain brunette, wasn't helping the matters either.

Right now Harry was dancing with Ginny Weasley, youngest and only sister of his best friend Ron Weasley. Ginny was talking animatedly about some latest fashion products, in which Harry had no interest. He was just nodding his head whenever there was a pause and in between he kept giving smiles to her.

To others it might have looked like he was very interested in their conversation, whereas in reality his mind was on other matters, matters like Hermione Granger.

Harry felt like his life was going smoothly, like a sports car on a race track and suddenly a rock comes in between, in the form of Hermione Granger and disturbs the whole balance of the car.

Lily had told him that he would have to escort Hermione and her friend Luna to the party, as soon as they would arrive. She was going to call him whenever Grangers were going to arrive. It had been more than an hour since then, but Lily never called him.

'May be she has not come.' Harry thought.

-------------------------------------

After he and Ginny finished dancing, Harry made his way to his school friends, Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas. They were standing at the drinks counter.

"Ron is enjoying himself with that girl. I have never seen her before. She looks quite pretty." Seamus said nonchalantly, sipping his drink.

"Yeah" Harry said, looking over to his best friend at the dance floor, dancing with a blonde.

"Who knew, Ron could dance as well." Dean said and three of them shared a laugh.

Suddenly Harry realized that the blonde was Hermione Granger's best friend.

`She is here then.' Harry thought. However, before his thoughts could go any further, Dean interrupted.

"Who's that?" Dean said, gesturing towards other end of the garden. All of them turned to look that way.

Harry saw a brunette in an emerald green dress. 'Hermione' He thought. She was sitting alone, lost in her thoughts.

"I don't know. I have never seen her before." Seamus replied.

"She's Hermione Granger, from the Beauxbatons. She's the best friend of Luna Lovegood, Ron's date for the evening." Harry blurted out.

"You know her?" Dean asked in a surprised tone.

"Hermione Granger. Oh yes, I have heard about her." Seamus said a bit excitedly."I heard that once she had really pissed off Cho and her gang. She must be something. And she isn't bad looking either. Why didn't we notice her before?" Seamus finished, with a stimulating glint in his eyes.

Harry felt angry at Seamus's words but controlled himself. "She doesn't looks like an easy catch." Harry said, trying to distract Seamus from Hermione.

Seamus looked at Harry with surprise "And since when have girls become a difficult catch for our charming Mr. Potter?" he said in a teasing manner.

"It's nothing like that. I can have any girl I want, on any given time of the day." Harry said a bit arrogantly.

"Of course, but I don't think you can have that same effect on that Granger girl." Seamus said in a mock voice.

"I can. She would be the easiest." Harry said haughtily.

"Ok then let's have a bet. If you could make her fall for you and date her for full 3 months I'll give you 2000 pounds and if you lose the bet you will give me 2000 pounds. What you say?" Seamus said.

Harry knew he was trapped in his own words. If he backed out of this bet Seamus would tease him for the rest of his life. He was Harry Potter. He had never backed down from a challenge. He had a reputation to live up to. He knew he would have to go on with the bet. He looked towards Hermione who was still lost in her thoughts.

Harry noticed Cho and her friends, making their way to Hermione. He could see that Hermione was looking a bit distressed. Harry felt like he should go to her and save her from Cho and her minions.

"Fine, I will go ahead with this bet. Keep the money ready, Seamus. You have 3 months." Harry blurted out and confidently made his way towards Hermione.

"Why did you have to make this bet? You know Harry would never lose. He always has his way with the girls." Dean said.

Seamus chuckled "Not this time Dean. That girl stays away from the boys. She avoids them like plague. I have heard a lot about her from Lavender when we used to date. Hermione is a complete bookworm; know-it-all and a very bossy girl. She isn't very easy to tame. Harry is going to have a very hard time." He said. Dean just rolled his eyes. It was always like this between Harry and Seamus. They always competed with each other, but it was always a friendly competition.

-------------------------------------

Harry was making his way to Hermione. He was pretty close to her. But neither Cho nor her gang noticed. Hermione's back was turned to him. He heard Parvati saying that "Didn't you know it's a ball and you would need a date?" hearing this statement, Harry felt the rage surging through his mind and body, though he didn't know why, but then he controlled himself, with great difficulty.

Harry saw Hermione standing up and retorting back to them. Then he saw Cho stepping closer to Hermione and saying something in a low voice. He could see Hermione getting a bit stressed, but she replied back to whatever Cho said to her. Cho again said something. But this time Hermione was quiet.

Harry finally decided what he needed to do that moment. He stepped forward and slid his hand around Hermione's waist.

Hermione looked behind her to see Harry Potter. He smiled at her charmingly. He was standing very close to her, his hand holding her tightly around her waist.

"Hi Hermione" Harry said softly, looking into her chocolate-brown eyes.

"H…Hi" Hermione stammered a bit.

"Hi Harry" Cho said, trying to sound a bit shy, but failed miserably.

"Hello Cho, Lavender, Parvati, so nice to see you all. Looks like you have already met my date for the evening." Harry said, gesturing towards Hermione with his other hand.

"What?" Both Hermione and Cho shouted at the same time. Cho looked at Hermione with disgust.

"She's your date. You must be joking." Cho said tossing her dark hair back.

Hermione was speechless. She was beyond shocked, to give any kind of reaction. She just stood there looking at Harry.

"And what do you mean by that?" Harry said in a low, but dangerous voice.

Cho stepped back feeling the change in Harry's demeanor. "N...Nothing." she replied.

Soon Ron and Luna joined them. They both were surprised to see Harry and Hermione together, especially with Harry's arm around her waist.

"Hey guys." Ron said cheerfully.

"Hi Harry" Luna said.

"Hi Luna" Harry replied.

For next couple of minutes nobody spoke, as they all stared at each other, waiting for others to speak. Then silence was interrupted with a horrible shriek.

"What are you doing with her?" Lavender shrieked, looking at Ron and gesturing towards Luna.

Ron and Lavender had dated for a short period of time in the past, but soon had broken up. Lavender was still pinning for Ron and was trying to convince him to date with her again. And now seeing him with Luna was a shock of a lifetime for her.

"What do you mean?" Ron asked furiously.

Lavender ignored his tone and continued

"I mean, what you are doing with this Loony Lovegood. Is she your date?" Lavender said looking at Luna with hatred. This made Hermione angry. She was about to reply but Ron beat her to it.

"Yes she is my date. She is perfect and a lot better and beautiful than you could ever be. And don't you dare call her Loony again." Ron growled. Lavender got scared at this.

Ron was still glaring at her when Cho spoke "You both have gone mad, bringing these wretched creatures as your dates. I thought you both had a better taste than that" She said, motioning towards Hermione and Luna. And before anyone could reply, Cho marched away, with Lavender and Parvati following her.

"Dumb Heads" Ron mumbled. He looked towards Luna. "Are you alright?" He asked.

Luna just nodded and next moment threw her arms around at Ron, hugging him tightly. Ron was stunned at first, but then hugged her back. Luna pulled back few seconds later.

"Thank you Ronald. Thank you so much. Nobody had ever said such beautiful things about me before." She said, smiling at Ron gratefully.

Ron looked a bit baffled at what she said. "But whatever I said is true." He said feeling confused about why Luna was thanking him.

"Ron, you are the densest person I have ever met." Harry said, laughing at Ron's thick mindedness. His hand was still around Hermione. Though, both of them seem to forget about it.

"But I like him for it, my dear clueless Ronald." Luna said with dreamy smile, kissing Ron on the cheek. Ron turned a bit red, however, gave a small heartfelt smile to his date.

Ron's eyes travelled to Harry's hand around Hermione's waist and looked Harry in the eye.

"I thought you were not going to bring any date with you?" Ron asked Harry with a knowing look.

"You are here as a date for Harry." Luna exclaimed, looking at Hermione. "Why didn't you tell me that you both are dating?" Luna said in a hurt voice.

Hermione didn't know what to say, as she still wasn't able to contemplate what exactly was happening with her.

"Looks like, cat is finally out of the bag now." Harry said with a chuckle.

Hermione glared at him and pulled herself out of his arms. "We are not dating." She said with a forced calm voice.

"Come on Hermione, there's no point in hiding it now." Harry said with an amused smile. Hermione scowled at him.

Harry found it very adorable. Having a closer look at her he realized that she looked beautiful. Her hairs were shining in the soft glow of the lights in the garden. There were different shades of golden and brown color in her eyes. She wore a simple dress but it looked very enticing on her.

Harry held his hands up in defense. "Ok...Ok. No need to get angry. Guys we are not dating. She was just having some troubles with Cho. I thought she needed to be rescued, so here I was." Harry said with a laughing voice.

"Oh" Luna said disappointedly.

"Well if both of you are dateless, why don't you become each other's date for the evening." Ron suggested.

"What? No way," Hermione said cogently. Harry didn't say anything. He just looked at Hermione.

"What? You think it's a good idea." Hermione said, looking shocked.

"Oh c'mon Hermione, it's just for this evening. I don't want to leave you alone. Please do it for me. I am sure Harry won't mind." Luna said, looking at Harry with hopeful look in her eyes.

"Oh no, I don't have any problem." Harry said, throwing a smirk towards Hermione.

"I am sure you can bear my company" he said, looking at Hermione "for just one evening for Luna." He finished, emphasizing more on 'for Luna'.

"Please. Please. Please Hermione. It would be so much fun." Luna pleaded like a child.

"Ok." Hermione said in a defeated voice.

"Great. Let's go to the dance floor then." Ron said with enthusiasm in his voice.

----------------------------------------

Four of them started moving towards the dance floor. Harry again slid his hand around Hermione's waist pulling her a bit closer. Hermione glowered at him.

"Well you are my date for the evening." Harry said, as though if it was obvious.

Hermione didn't say anything as they reached to the dance floor. Everyone around them was gawking at them. Hermione felt uncomfortable under everyone's stare but acted as though if she hadn't noticed.

Harry turned towards her and pulled her a bit closer. Ron and Luna had already started dancing on the fast music.

"I can't dance on this song." Hermione said nervously looking at Harry. He looked a bit amused, but then his eyes softened at her uneasiness.

"No problem. We don't have to dance as per the song. We can sway a bit just like we did on Christmas day. I hope you remember that." Harry said gently.

Hermione nodded "How can I forget that?" she mumbled.

"Did you say something?" Harry asked.

"Huh? Um...no," Hermione replied as she put her hands on Harry's shoulder. But Harry took her both hands and put them around his neck. Harry held her by waist and pulled her closer. They both started to sway slowly not caring about the music.

As Harry was trying, not to blatantly stare, at the tempting girl in his arms, Hermione was trying not to step on Harry's toes.

-----------------------------------

Hermione was still a bit peeved at Harry, but was now in a slightly better mood.

"Why did you say to Cho that I was your date?" Hermione asked in low voice.

"I was just trying to help you." Harry said.

"Help me?" Hermione said with frustrated voice "Pray. Tell me how were you helping me?"

Harry just shrugged his shoulders "She was saying hurtful things to you about not having a date. So I thought ..."

However, before Harry could finish his sentence Hermione interrupted him "So you thought let's help the poor dateless Granger." Hermione said sarcastically.

Harry just rolled his eyes. "Can't you accept it for once, that somebody might actually want to help you, without aiming any harm towards you?" he said derisively.

Hermione looked away from him. "People don't usually help me; they just mock me for my intelligence and the knowledge." She said while still looking away from him.

Harry didn't know what to say so he remained quiet. For rest of the dance they both were quiet lost in their thoughts or more specifically Harry was lost in his thoughts about Hermione and Hermione was lost in her thoughts about Harry. But of course they both didn't know it.

They were so lost in their thoughts, that they danced 3 songs continuously, without stopping. They didn't realize in until Ron tapped on Harry's shoulder. Harry and Hermione jerked out of their thoughts.

"What?" Harry asked with a puzzled look on his face.

"Mate I know you are a good dancer, but three songs in a row are bound to make you tired as well." Ron said.

"3 songs!" Harry said with astonishment. He looked at Hermione who also looked quite surprised.

Ron nodded with a pleased smile on his face. "Luna and I are going to eat something. Want to join us?" Ron asked.

"Yeah sure," Hermione replied.

She was astounded that she had already danced 3 songs with Harry and didn't realize it even.

After eating and drinking four of them were back on the dance floor. Hermione danced with Ron while Luna danced with Harry. But of course, Ron and Hermione were more focused on the arguing with each other, instead of the dancing.

For the next song, Hermione was back in the arms of Harry. They again danced for a very long time, as nobody came to disturb them. But this time they both were aware of it and made no inclination of leaving each other's company.

Hermione was surprised that Harry showed no signs of letting her go. He just held her and swayed with her. She had finally admitted to herself that she liked to dance with Harry and it felt very good to have his arms around her waist.

On other hand Harry's mind was filled with the similar thoughts. He liked holding Hermione close to him. She was soft and her hair smelled amazing. Also her nervousness made her look very cute.

Time passed quickly for both of them. When the clock struck 12 everyone shouted Happy New Year. Whole manor was bathed in the lights of fireworks. Everyone was in an elated mood, happily wishing each other. Atmosphere was completely euphoric. People were kissing, drinking, dancing and shouting with the joy.

Hermione was looking at the fireworks in the sky while standing next to Harry. She felt a tug on her right hand. She looked to her right, to find Harry staring at her with an odd expression on his face.

He was looking a bit tensed. It looked as though if he was going through some kind of inner struggle. Then Hermione noticed a determined look on his face. Before she could mull over what was happening, Harry leaned towards her and kissed her on the corner of her mouth.

"Happy New year Hermione," He said softly staring in her eyes. Hermione almost fainted but replied.

"Happy New Year," She replied, her voice quivering a bit.

--------------------------------------

Hermione didn't know how and when did she reached back home. All she remembered was the kiss and the Harry Potter, before going to sleep at 2 AM in the first morning of the New Year.

--------------------------------------------

Author's note: - Wow, finally New Year Ball is here. So what do you think? Was it okay? Did you enjoy it? Please tell me through your reviews. Don't forget.

And I need a beta reader. So if anyone could give me some suggestion, please let me know.

Disclaimer: - I don't own any character.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->