Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love and Like by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love and Like

rockstar

Author's Note: - Apologizing in advance for spelling and grammar mistakes.

This is the last chapter. I would like to thank all those who read and reviewed the story. Thank you so much.

Disclaimer: - I do not own Harry Potter and anyone or anything related.

------------------------------------------------

My Savior

Harry just gave one last look at the door of Hermione's bedroom, before apparating out of her flat.

-----------------------------------------------

Harry groaned as the early sunlight hit his face. He opened his eyes and immediately closed them, grumbling loudly.

"Ughh…" He muttered as he brought himself into sitting position, his body aching due to sleeping in same position throughout the night. He stretched his body with a little difficulty and looked around. He found himself on the couch in the living room of his apartment.

For a moment, he felt confused. What was he doing in his flat? He should have been at Hermione's place, not here. Then he remembered he had been there last night. But then, Hermione had asked him to leave and said something about going to Ginny. But why? Why would she say that? Did Ginny say something to her?

Harry rubbed his forehead tiredly and got up from the couch. He decided to talk with Hermione about what she said, but before that, he needed to freshen up.

After taking a quick shower and dressing up, Harry walked out of his room and into the kitchen to find some unopened owl posts lying on the kitchen counter. Harry went through his mails. Some of them were fan mails, few other letters were from different wizarding newspapers and magazines, perhaps asking for his interviews, and rest were daily editions of the Quibbler of last few weeks, a magazine-cum-newspaper run by father of Harry's school friend Luna Lovegood. It was published on the daily basis.

After the war ended, Daily Prophet, which was then one of the leading newspaper in the magical world, had met its downfall. People had realized that most of the stories run by the Daily Prophet against Harry were all lies. Quibbler, which was once considered as an eccentric and inadequate magazine, had become one of the leading magazines in the magical world.

Harry was going through the daily editions of the magazine when he saw something that caught his eyes immediately. It contained a picture of Hermione, Jessica, and Ron. Jessica and Hermione were glaring at each other and Ron was standing next to them looking angry as well. Harry checked the date to find that it was previous day's edition.

Harry quickly went through the whole article. He was fuming with anger by the time he finished reading. Since it was the Quibbler, Harry believed that they had printed the true story. Now he could understand why Hermione was so upset last night. He felt extremely angry with Jessica for saying all those things to Hermione. And Ron, didn't he do anything to defend Hermione.

Harry rubbed his face, trying to control his anger. Without thinking, he closed his eyes and apparated to Ron's apartment. Since it was very early in the morning, Harry expected Ron to be home and maybe Jessica too.

Harry found himself in the kitchen at Ron's apartment. There was complete silence, which was a little odd since it was Ron's apartment.

"Ron," Harry called. He heard Ron grumbling as he came out of his bedroom, rubbing his eyes. He was still wearing his cloths from the last evening that Harry recognized due to the picture printed in the Quibbler.

Ron looked tired, Harry noticed. There were light brown circles under his eyes and his hair were a mess, even more so than Harry's. It looked like he had not slept at all during the night.

"Harry," Ron said looking surprised. He smiled at his best friend, but his smile faded when he saw the angry expression on Harry's face and magazine he was holding in his hand.

"I…I am sorry mate." Ron apologized. He didn't know what else to say.

Harry calmed down a bit. "What happened?" He asked.

Without wasting any second, Ron told him everything, from Jessica's accusations to Hermione's magical outburst that happened in the Diagon Alley.

"What I don't understand is that why did Jessica say that you loved Ginny?" He asked looking confused.

Harry felt uncomfortable, but decided to tell the truth. He told him about his feelings for Ginny, about how he had confessed his feelings to her and how she had turned him down.

"But if you loved Ginny, then why did you and Hermione get together?" Ron asked. "Don't you think it'd been unfair to Hermione, that you'd been using her to forget Ginny?"

Harry smiled wistfully at Ron. "I liked Ginny, Ron, but I love Hermione. I am in love with her." He said. Ron looked surprised at his confession.

Harry didn't know how to tell Ron in a more detailed way about what he felt for Hermione. Only thing he knew was that realization of his love for Hermione was sudden. However, more he thought about it, more he realized that he had loved her the whole time, even when he had a crush on Ginny, it was Hermione he loved and cared about all the time.

He still remembered when Hermione had come to his place for the first time after he had confessed his feelings to Ginny, and was turned down in return. Something had changed that night, Harry was sure of that. It was like something in his heart had fallen just into its right place. Hermione had stayed at his place for that night. In the morning, Harry had gone to his room to wake her up, but she was sleeping. He didn't know why he hadn't realized it before, but a sleeping Hermione looked so vulnerable. Looking at her peaceful and vulnerable sleeping form, he had a very strong urge to protect her from all kinds of hurt in the world, something that he had never felt ever before.

That was just the beginning of those weird yet heart-warming feelings. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't get rid of the feelings he was having for his female best friend. He had started to feel very possessive towards her. It was like a completely new world was opened in front of him. It was completely new, yet felt so familiar. Sweet warmth he had started to feel in his heart while thinking about Hermione was something he realized, he had always felt about her. He had never felt this way while thinking about Ginny.

When he saw Ginny with her boyfriend in the Diagon Alley next day, to his surprise he felt no jealousy towards them. It was like his heart and mind were cleared of some kind of foggy thing, and it was refilled with a bright light, which made him feel the presence of Hermione in his heart.

Harry felt scared of what he was feeling. It was so strong and so intense than what he used to feel for Ginny that he didn't know how to handle it. Only thing he could do was keeping himself away from Hermione. However, that didn't work either. It just increased his longing to see Hermione, to have her near him, to hold her…to love her.

Then came the night when Hermione kissed him. Only two words could truly describe that night…Truly Magical…a magic so different and so beautiful from what he had learned at Hogwarts. He also couldn't help but think that how adorable a sloshed Hermione looked. Not only she had kissed him, but she had also said him those three magical words, that he had never really thought about while crushing on Ginny. In fact when he had confessed his feelings to Ginny, never once he had said to her that he loved her…now he realized that he didn't say it because he didn't feel that way.

He had to leave Hermione that night. He wasn't sure how she would have reacted had he stayed. He wanted to think she'd have been happy. But Harry didn't want to take the risk, at least not that night.

From thereon he couldn't deny his feelings anymore. He wanted Hermione with a passion. He loved her…there was no denying to it anymore.

He didn't see Hermione for next three months, a very long time for him. He had started to believe that she regretted their kiss or she had completely forgotten about the kiss that happened in her drunken state. Former option seemed more appropriate as Hermione hadn't contacted him at all. And he couldn't bring himself to talk to her either. He had really started to hate the uncertainties he was feeling.

But after Neville was hit with a spell during the mission, Harry didn't realize when and how, but he found himself standing outside Hermione's apartment. With a jolt, he gathered that he had always done that. Hermione was his only source of comfort and feeling safe. If Harry Potter was the savior of the world, Hermione Granger was the savior of Harry Potter. That night had given him the strength to embrace the feelings he was having for Hermione and act on it. From then his life had just been all about Hermione.

Harry had hoped that Hermione didn't believe it when Jessica said that he loved Ginny. But, looking at her reaction last night, he was sure she believed that.

Of course, she would be upset with it. You never really told her that you have no feelings for Ginny. A voice said in Harry's mind.

But, I thought she knows that I love her, not Ginny. Harry thought back, feeling stupid for talking to his own mind.

She's Hermione. She always overthinks and overanalyzes everything. You should've known that. Voice reprimanded him.

Harry closed his eyes for a moment, guilt of hurting Hermione overwhelming him.

"Harry, are you all right?" Ron asked, bringing Harry out of his reverie.

"Huh?" Harry said looking disoriented, "Oh yeah, I am all right." He answered.

Suddenly, he remembered something and once again felt his anger rising.

"Where's Jessica?" He asked looking around the flat.

Ron looked at little comfortable at his question. "She's not here." He replied in a small voice.

Harry looked at him, giving him a look (which said I-know-you-are-not-telling-me-everything), expecting him to continue.

"I broke up with her last night and then I sort of kicked her out." Ron said nonchalantly, his face turning red, due to anger or embarrassment, Harry couldn't tell for sure.

Harry was shocked. Whatever answer he had expected, this wasn't on the list.

"I…I don't know what to say." Harry said helplessly.

Ron simply shrugged. "Don't say anything. It's been a long time coming. Jessica always had problems with Hermione even if she didn't show it upfront. I thought it would go away with time, but I was wrong. Last night she asked me to choose between her and Hermione. Well you can see whom I chose." He said with a smile.

"Ron, I…" Harry started, but Ron interrupted him.

"Harry, you and Hermione are my best friends. You both are a very important part of my life and Jessica refused to understand it. She hurt Hermione, and in that she hurt you and me as well." He said in a serious voice.

Harry stared at him for a second and then he just burst out laughing. Ron looked startled.

"Wow! That's probably the longest emotional speech I have ever heard coming out of your mouth." Harry said in an amused voice.

Ron looked horrified, but then he grinned at his best friend of more than a decade.

"Do you think Hermione will promote my emotional range from tea spoon to say, probably a tea cup?" He asked with a cheeky smile.

Harry and Ron shared a good laugh at this.

"Have you talked to Hermione yet?" Ron asked after a couple of minutes.

"No," Harry said gloomily. "But I'll talk to her soon. Before that there's something else I have to do." He said.

Ron nodded absentmindedly. Harry was about to leave when he recalled something.

"Hey Ron," He said.

"Yeah," He said looking up at Harry.

"Would you be my best man?" Harry asked unexpectedly.

Ron simply gawked at Harry as his mind absorbed what exactly his best friend had asked.

"Sure mate," He replied with a wide smile.

"Are you sure she'll say yes?" He asked looking curious.

"She has no choice." Harry replied with a mischievous grin.

Ron just laughed heartily as Harry disapparated from his apartment.

---------------------------------------

Harry apparated directly outside the Burrow. He walked towards the front door and knocked. After some time Molly Weasley opened the door.

"Hello Mrs. Weasley," Harry said with a polite smile.

"Hello Harry dear, please come in." Molly said smiling as she stepped aside to let Harry enter the house. She closed the door once Harry was inside.

Molly walked towards the kitchen and Harry followed her. Harry was sure that Mrs. Weasley had already read the news about what happened in the Diagon Alley last evening, as she didn't welcome him with one of her trademark bear hugs.

When Harry entered into the kitchen, Ginny and Jessica were already sitting there.

Harry stiffened for a moment as he looked at both the girls. He saw, as Ginny tensed a bit and Jessica looked a little fearful.

"Hi Harry," Jessica said timidly.

However, Harry completely ignored her and looked at Ginny.

"Ginny, can I talk to you, privately?" He asked. He could feel Mrs. Weasley's concerned eyes on him. He was surprised that she hadn't said a thing since he had entered into the kitchen.

"Sure," Ginny said smiling nervously.

Harry simply nodded and walked out of the kitchen. Ginny followed him.

They both were standing in the sitting room. Harry was thinking about how to say what he wanted to say, without being too much rude.

"Harry," Ginny said shyly, lightly touching his hand. Harry looked at her and immediately pulled his hand away from her.

"Don't get wrong ideas in your head, Ginny." Harry said in a cold voice, "I am not here to create a love story." He said.

Ginny looked stunned. "I…I am…I am sorry. I thought…" But Harry interrupted her.

"I am not interested in knowing what you thought. I am here to tell you that I love Hermione, and if you and your friend, Jessica, have any problem with my relationship with Hermione, then just stay away from us. This time I am letting it go, but next time if you or Jessica tried to hurt Hermione, I won't be so lenient." Harry said in an intimidating voice.

Ginny's eyes filled with tears. "I am sorry Harry. I didn't know Jessica would do something like this. She's already feeling bad for what she did. I apologize to you and Hermione on her behalf." She said looking repentant.

Harry simply nodded and turned to leave. He reached to the front door and opened it. He was about to step out, when Ginny called him.

"Harry," Ginny said.

Harry turned around to look at her.

"Yes," He said.

"Did you ever love me?" She asked softly, looking at Harry with a hopeful look in her eyes.

"No," Harry said without hesitation, looking at her sadly.

She simply nodded and turned around to hide her tears from Harry.

Harry didn't speak anymore. He simply walked out of the house, leaving a dejected Ginny behind.

----------------------------------------

The moment Hermione opened her eyes her head started throbbing badly. Rubbing her temple, she checked her alarm clock, which showed that she was already late for her work. So she decided to take the day off.

She slowly got up from her bed and took a step forward, when her right foot hit something on the floor. She looked down to find the bag of books she had purchased the previous day in the Diagon Alley. And just like that, all the things that had happened the day before came back rushing to her mind. She staggered and immediately grabbed the edge of her bed to keep herself from falling. Hot tears of anger burned her eyes. She composed herself and picked up the bag filled with her new books. She put the bag on the nightstand and made her way out of the bedroom, with a quill and a parchment in her hand.

She sat down on the couch in her sitting room to write a letter to Annie to tell her about taking the day off. Since she didn't have an owl, she decided to send the letter through floo network. She was set to write the letter when doorbell rang.

Frustrated, Hermione got up from the couch and walked towards the front gate.

She opened the door. Harry was standing on the other side. Before Hermione could say anything, he walked straight past her and into the apartment. Hermione closed the door and turned around to look at Harry.

"What are you doing here?" She asked looking at Harry who was staring back at her. Harry didn't say anything. He just crossed his arms across his chest and stared at Hermione with a secret smile.

Hermione frowned at his lack of response.

"Harry," She said in a loud voice, "I asked what you are doing here. Shouldn't you be with Ginny right now? Does she know you are here?"

Still Harry didn't say anything. Hermione was getting very frustrated with his lack of response.

"Harry, say something," She said in a loud frustrated voice.

Finally, Harry stepped forward, towards Hermione.

"Are you done with your tantrums?" He asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Hermione was taken aback by his question and the look on his face. "Umm…huh…what?" She said foolishly.

Harry simply rolled his eyes and before Hermione could realize what was happening, he threw her over his shoulder and walked towards her bedroom.

For a second Hermione was left shocked and breathless at the sudden movement. But she gained her senses soon.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione yelled, "Put me down this instant." She ordered.

However, Harry just ignored her as he walked inside her room and closed the door. Moving towards the bed Harry lowered Hermione on the bed gently, and sat on the edge of the bed next to her.

Hermione didn't move at all. She simply stared at Harry who was looking at her tenderly.

Hermione couldn't look into his tender eyes anymore as those eyes just reminded her of the most precious thing she had lost last evening. She closed her eyes to stop the tears from coming out.

She felt Harry's warm hand on her cheek, caressing slowly and lovingly.

"The guy that you were in love with while we're in school, that was me. Isn't it?" Harry asked in a soft voice.

Hermione's eyes snapped open. She didn't need to say anything; Harry already saw the answer in her eyes. He leaned down and kissed her fully on the lips.

He realized why that day Hermione had said that `I never had a crush on you, Harry.'

It was never a crush to begin with. Crush happens and fades with time, but love simply evolves and only grows with time. What he felt for Ginny was nothing more than a mere crush. It lasted as long as it did, because it was easy to hang onto that feeling. Somewhere in part of his sub-conscious mind, he knew that this feeling would not have lasted long, because there was no foundation for that feeling to stand and survive for long.

He pulled back and looked into Hermione's surprised eyes.

"I love you." He whispered with a grin.

Hermione grinned back. "I love you too."

She brought herself into sitting position.

"But what about Ginny?" Hermione asked.

Harry took her in his arms and kissed her lightly on the lips. "I never loved Ginny. It was just an infatuation, nothing more. I am in love with you." He said the last part affectionately.

"Oh Harry," Hermione wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. In return, Harry tightened his arms around her. They stayed like that for next few minutes.

"Oh yes, I forgot to tell you about something." Harry said pulling back from Hermione.

"What?" Hermione asked with interest.

"I am getting married soon." He said in a serious voice.

Hermione felt confused. Harry was getting married.

When Hermione didn't speak, Harry continued.

"Ron has agreed to be my best man, but I still need a bride. So would you like to fill the spot of bride in my wedding?" Harry said with a roguish grin.

Hermione looked dumbfounded. "Are you proposing me?" She asked with a slight frown on her face.

Harry made a thoughtful face, tapping his chin with his index finger.

"You can consider it as a proposal." He said wistfully. But grinned next moment, when Hermione hit him playfully.

"You are crazy." She said amusedly.

Harry just grinned at her, before pulling her back into a passionate kiss.

------------------------------------------

Author's Note; - So what do you think? Does it remove the disappointments from the last chapter? Please tell me through your reviews.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->