Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love and Like by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love and Like

rockstar

Author's Note: - Apologies for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Disclaimer: - I don't own Harry Potter and anyone or anything related.

------------------------

Can I Cut In?

"Why don't you just go over there and tell her how you feel?" a voice said from behind Harry.

Harry turned around to see the familiar face of his best friend, Hermione Granger. She was standing behind him holding her drink and watching him staring at the redhead beauty.

Hermione walked towards Harry and sat on the empty stool next to him.

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked feigning ignorance. Hermione simply rolled her eyes.

"You very well know what I am talking about. If you won't tell her, she wouldn't know." Hermione said austerely.

"I can't. What if she doesn't feel the same way? Also, she is dating that stupid Roger Davies right now." Harry said dejectedly.

Harry was not surprised that Hermione already knew about his feelings. He hadn't told anyone about his growing feelings towards Ginny, but somehow, Hermione always knew what was going through his mind, even if he never told her.

"Then, just sit here and keep sulking." Hermione said in an uninterested voice and took a sip of her drink.

Harry looked at her with narrowed eyes. "I am not sulking." He said firmly to prove his point.

Hermione just shrugged her shoulders. "Sure, could have fooled me." She replied sipping her drink and looking directly into Harry's eyes.

Harry scowled at her and she scowled back in return. They both glared at each other and then burst out laughing loudly.

"So what are you going to do now?" Hermione asked as she tried to bring her fast breathing to a normal pace.

"What about?" Harry asked though he already knew the answer.

Hermione once again rolled her eyes. She knew Harry was faking ignorance.

"Ginny of course, if you don't tell her now, later on it might be just too late." Hermione said looking at Harry.

Harry didn't answer back. He looked away from Hermione, and turned his eyes back to Ginny.

"I know." he said finally.

They both sat in silence for some time.

"What about you?" Harry asked unexpectedly.

"What about me?" Hermione asked looking puzzled.

"I heard that…Umm…what was the name of that bloke," Harry tried to remember the name.

"Yes Jacob! Ron told me that Jacob asked you out." Harry said looking at Hermione with curious expression.

Hermione just shrugged her shoulders. "I said no to him." Hermione replied nonchalantly.

"Why? I thought you liked him." Harry asked with a confused voice.

"He's a good friend. But I don't feel that way about him." Hermione replied in the same nonchalant manner.

Harry looked at Hermione with surprise. This was the only thing he never understood about her. Ever since they graduated from Hogwarts, Hermione had never dated anyone. Even in the school during their last year, many blokes had asked her out, but she never dated anyone. However, he had once heard from Ron who had heard it from Lavender, that Hermione was secretly in love with someone, though, they never found out who he was and Hermione never told them.

"You still like that secret guy on whom you had a crush on, during our school days." Harry said curiously. All his thoughts were focused on Hermione right now and he had actually forgotten about Ginny for the moment.

Hermione simply smiled at him.

"Yes. But I never felt the same way for anyone else." Hermione replied with a smile. It was the first time that Hermione had acknowledged her feelings for that mystery guy in front of Harry.

"Did you ever tell him about your feelings?" Harry asked seriously.

Hermione chuckled. "No, I didn't." She replied.

"Why not? You advise me to tell Ginny about my feelings and yet you didn't tell your mystery guy about your own feelings." Harry asked with bewilderment.

"Your case is completely different from mine, Harry. Ginny had a crush on you even before she knew anything about the real you. Moreover, there is a very strong possibility that she would reciprocate your feelings. However, in my case that's not possible. I cannot tell him about my feelings because he's already in love with someone else. So there's no possibility that he would ever return my feelings." Hermione said as a single tear rolled down her cheek, though her voice remained detached.

Harry was a bit taken aback by this. He never knew Hermione felt so strongly for that guy. He never liked it when she looked so sad. He reached for her and pulled her in his arms, holding her tightly to shield her from any kind of pain. Hermione hugged him back strongly.

Hermione pulled back after a couple of minutes.

"Thank you so much Harry. It means a lot to me." Hermione whispered softly and sat back on her seat.

"Who was that guy? Did I know him?" Harry asked.

"I am not going to tell you the name, but yes you know him." Hermione replied lightly.

Harry tried to guess who could be that person. As far as he remembered, he never really saw Hermione spending her time with any other guy. She regularly hung out with him and Ron. Could it be that it was Ron?

"Was it Ron?" Harry blurted out.

Hermione looked surprised at his insinuation.

"What makes you think it was Ron?" Hermione asked with a laugh.

"In school you spent most of your time with Ron and me. So there was a possibility that…." Harry just trailed off giving a knowing look to Hermione.

Hermione started laughing. "No Harry, it was not Ron." She replied.

"So was it me?" Harry blurted out. Others looked at the pair.

"Harry, keep your voice down." Hermione scolded.

"Sorry," Harry mumbled.

"So was it me?" he asked again with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

Hermione looked at him with amusement.

"I never had a crush on you, Harry." Hermione answered back with a smile. Harry sighed with relief.

"Would it really have been that bad if you were that guy?" Hermione asked imperturbably.

Harry nodded. "Yeah may be. You know it would have been a complete mess. I mean I have feelings for Ginny and then your feelings for me; it would have been a downright mess. I never want to hurt you." Harry responded with a sincere voice.

Hermione merely smiled at his explanation.

"You are a good man Harry Potter. Don't worry. It's my job to solve all your problems and I would never let your life be a mess. And that's because you are my best friend, nothing more nothing less." Hermione said in dramatic voice, trying to sound like an ancient emperor.

Harry started laughing at her tone.

Hermione glowered at him as she finished remaining contents of her drink.

"You know, Harry, you should not worry about me. I am over that guy. I mean only thing that I feel now is disappointment that nothing happened between us. I just got a little emotional remembering the old memories." Hermione said truthfully.

Harry looked at Hermione closely to detect if she was lying. However, he could see in her eyes that she wasn't being untruthful.

"Harry, I am not lying." Hermione stated seeing the searching look on her best friend's face.

"Okay, now if you don't want to tell Ginny about your feelings, at least enjoy this evening with her. Go and ask her for a dance." Hermione said in a gentle voice.

"But I don't know how to dance. Only person who could handle my dancing abilities is you." Harry said despondently.

Hermione huffed with irritation.

"Really Harry, do you honestly think they are dancing. They are just holding each other and moving their legs left, right, up and down." She said.

Harry started laughing at her description.

"Wow! I have heard many poetic descriptions about the dance before. However, this is something I have never heard before. You make it sound like a parade instead of a dance." He said with an amused voice.

Hermione glowered at Harry, but instead of cowering, Harry smiled widely at her.

"Now go and ask her." Hermione said in a mock scolding tone.

Harry got up and turned to make his way towards Ginny. However, he stopped abruptly; Ginny was already on the dance floor with Dean Thomas.

"Well, even Dean is faster than you." Hermione commented, trying to hide her smile.

"You think it's funny. Huh?" Harry said defiantly staring at his best friend.

However, it just made Hermione feel more amused.

"Yup!" She replied teasingly.

Hermione just rolled her eyes when Harry continued to glare at her.

"Oh honestly Harry! You need to grow up." She said exasperatedly. She put her glass down the counter, jumped from her the stool and grabbing Harry's hand she pulled him on the dance floor.

Hermione snaked her arms around Harry's neck and pulled him closer.

"Put your arms around my waist." Hermione commanded and a confused Harry did as she said. They both started swaying on the slow music.

"Why are we dancing?" Harry whispered in Hermione's ear pulling her closer than she already was.

"Do you want to dance with Ginny or not?" Hermione whispered back furiously while glancing at Ginny and Dean who were dancing close to Harry and Hermione.

"Yes," Harry replied longingly looking at the pair dancing next to him and Hermione.

"Look, I am going to ask Dean for a dance, and then you can dance with Ginny." Hermione said and before Harry could reply, she got out of his arms.

------------------------

Dean and Ginny were dancing and talking about something. Hermione tapped on Ginny's shoulder. Ginny turned to look who it was.

"Can I cut in?" Hermione asked sweetly. Dean and Ginny looked confused for a moment and then Ginny stepped aside.

"Of course," She said with a smile.

Hermione immediately grabbed Dean's hand and pulled him away from Ginny.

Harry simply stood at the dance floor looking flabbergasted. He watched Hermione dragging Dean away and realized that Hermione was gesturing him towards Ginny.

Ginny was leaving the dance floor when she heard someone calling her name. She turned and saw that Harry was standing behind her.

"Oh! Harry," Ginny said acknowledging his presence.

"Yeah, would you like to dance with me?" Harry asked nervously.

"Why not?" Ginny replied encouragingly.

Harry grinned at her as they both started dancing together.

Harry was feeling nervous. He just didn't know what to say. It was kind of a laughing matter. During his early years at Hogwarts, it was Ginny, who behaved nervous and shy around him. However, now situations had completely reversed. Now Harry was the one who behaved nervous around Ginny and she looked comfortable around him.

"Party is progressing well. Isn't it?" Ginny said breaking the silence. Harry jerked out of his trance.

"Yeah," Harry agreed looking around the party. Everyone seems to enjoy and have fun at the party.

"Ron definitely knows how to throw a party." He added with a smile, feeling very happy for his best friend.

"It's been quite some time since we had a proper conversation." Ginny commented out of the blue.

Harry looked at her.

"You're right. Ever since the school has ended, we haven't really spent any quality time together." Harry said musingly.

"So how is it going on in the modeling world? If I am not wrong, you are one of the top models of England." Harry asked feeling relaxed.

Ginny blushed at his compliment.

"It's going well, but I have also received an offer from the Harpies to join them as a chaser. I am just so confused right now. I mean I love playing Quidditch, but I never really thought about playing it at the professional level. I just don't know what to do?" Ginny said looking anxious.

"Don't worry, Ginny. If you really want to play Quidditch, then go for it. You would be an excellent chaser and Harpies would be lucky to have you with them." Harry said with a smile.

"Thanks Harry. I am feeling much better after talking to you." Ginny replied softly.

They both danced for next few minutes in silence. Harry looked towards Hermione and Dean. They both were chatting as they continued to dance. Dean whispered something in Hermione's ear, making her laugh softly. For some reason, Harry didn't like that Dean was able to make Hermione laugh so easily. It just became a passing thought when he realized that Ginny was saying something to him.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Harry asked looking apologetic.

"I was asking about your Auror training?" Ginny replied in a laughing voice.

"Oh! Um…It's actually going great." Harry replied.

Ginny just smiled in return.

Song ended, but Harry and Ginny continued to dance on the next song.

Harry felt someone tapping on his shoulder. It was Roger Davies.

"Can I dance with my girlfriend?" He asked politely.

"Yes, of course." Harry said. Roger took Ginny's hand and led her in another direction to dance.

"Asshole," Harry grumbled. He looked around the dance floor to find Hermione. She was dancing with Ernie Macmillan now. He walked towards them.

"Can I cut in?" Harry asked. Ernie gave him an irritated look. Harry simply ignored it. Without waiting for Ernie's answer, he grabbed Hermione's hand and took her a little away from Ernie.

He turned around and pulled an astonished Hermione in his arms, holding her tightly against himself. They both started moving on the dance floor.

"Harry, what was that?" Hermione asked calmly.

"What the hell that idiot thinks of himself?" Harry said irately, "Can I dance with my girlfriend?" he said mimicking Roger's voice.

"Will you be a little more descriptive?" Hermione said sternly, "And what are you doing here with me? You should be dancing with Ginny right now."

"Well, I was dancing with Ginny. We were having a nice conversation until that idiot boyfriend of hers came and took her away." Harry complained.

Hermione heaved a sigh. "Harry, just calm down, okay." Hermione said in a soothing voice, "At least you got a chance to dance with her."

Harry smiled at Hermione. "Yeah, it was really good. I didn't feel awkward, nor did I step on her feet while dancing." He said happily and all of a sudden, he leaned down and kissed Hermione on the forehead.

"Thanks to you," He said. Hermione looked at Harry oddly, but didn't say anything.

"What?" Harry asked perplexedly.

"Nothing," Hermione replied.

"Let's go and join Ron and Jessica." Hermione spoke after sometime, gesturing towards where Ron was sitting with his girlfriend, waving at his best friends to join him.

Harry nodded and left the dance floor with Hermione.

"Hey guys," Ron said excitedly as Harry and Hermione came over to his table.

"Hey Ron, Jessica," Hermione said nodding towards her best friend and brunette sitting next to him.

"You sure know how to throw a party, mate." Harry said appreciatively as he and Hermione sat down. Ron beamed at his best friends feeling pleased with the appreciation.

"Hey," Ginny said as she joined them as Roger had left the party due to some urgent work.

"Hi Ginny," Jessica said looking at her friend.

"What are you doing here? Where's that boyfriend of yours?" Ron said sarcastically. He had never liked Roger since the Hogwarts' days and watching his only sister dating him, irked Ron to no end.

Ginny glared at Ron. She was about to retort, but Hermione interrupted her.

"Leave her alone, Ron. Ginny, why don't you join us. There's an extra chair next to Harry." Hermione said.

"Thanks," Ginny replied sitting next to Harry. Five of them talked for some time, though Ron and Ginny avoided talking with each other and soon time was close to midnight. Guests were starting to leave. After all the guests left, Ron, Jessica, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Fred, George and Lee Jordan were the only ones left behind.

Ron was ecstatic. "Wow! Finally, it's over." He said, "Thanks to you both, party was so amazing." He said to his twin brothers.

"Anything for you, dear brother," George said.

"This is the last chocolate frog I am left with. Would you like to have it?" Fred asked casually offering the chocolate to Ron.

"Yeah sure," Ron said lost in his euphoric mood. He popped the chocolate frog in his mouth and started eating it without thinking.

"What?" Ron asked astonishingly when everyone started laughing including Jessica. Instead of `what', a strange sound came out of his mouth. A laughing Hermione took out her wand from her jeans pocket and conjured a mirror in front of Ron.

Ron's eyes widened as he saw his reflection. His skin color had changed to red, yellow feathers were sticking out of his hair, and in the place of his mouth he was having a small beak, making him look like some eccentric bird. Looking at his reflection, he started making noises like a duck.

"You sound like Donald Duck." Hermione said with a chuckle.

"Who?" Twins asked in unison.

"No one," Hermione said dismissively. She was in no mood to explain twins about the cartoons in the muggle world.

Ron was getting very agitated and furious with himself for becoming an easy target for twins.

"Calm down Ronnikins. Here, take this, it will change you back." George said in a laughing voice giving another chocolate to Ron. Ron eyed the chocolate suspiciously, and then put it into his beak. After a couple of seconds, he was back to normal. He was furious with his brothers.

"How dare you use that thing on me, what if I would have looked like this forever?" Ron yelled.

"Relax, Ron." Jessica said lovingly. Ron looked at his girlfriend's lovely face and calmed down a bit.

"We should better leave before our dear brother start attacking us with his pointed beak." Fred announced cheekily and before Ron could retort twins vanished along with their best friend, Lee. Ron made a huffing sound, but others ignored him.

"I think we should leave as well." Hermione said tiredly. Everyone agreed with her.

"Harry, would you mind taking Ginny home since Ron seems a little drunk right now?" Hermione said innocently.

"Hey, I am not drunk." Ron grumbled, though he could feel the effects of alcohol he consumed throughout the party. He had started to feel lightheaded.

"It's not necessary." Ginny said.

"It's Ok, I don't mind." Harry said trying to sound casual.

"Jessica, can you do the side-along apparition with Ron?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, no problem," Jessica said.

"Hey Tom, your drinks were great." Ron shouted out of the blue. Tom simply smiled at him and went back to his work.

Hermione took a deep breath and said, "Let's go then."

After saying their goodbyes, five of them apparated to the destinations where they were planning to go.

-------------------------

Around 12:30 A.M. Harry silently apparated into Hermione's apartment. He assumed that Hermione was already in her bed as all the lights in the apartment were switched off.

Harry made his way towards her bedroom and slowly opened the door. Hermione was in her bed sleeping peacefully. Harry smiled at her sleeping form and entered the bedroom. He went to the other side of the bed and sat down. After kicking his shoes off, he got into the covers with Hermione.

`I can't wait to see her face in the morning when she would find me in her bed.' Harry thought amusedly, feeling sleepy and soon sleep took over him.

-----------------------------

Author's Note: - Looking forward to the reviews.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->