Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love and Like by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love and Like

rockstar

Author's note: - Apologize in advance for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Disclaimer: - I don't own Harry Potter and anyone or anything related.

------------------------

Revelation

`I can't wait to see her face in the morning when she would find me in her bed.' Harry thought amusedly, feeling sleepy and soon sleep took over him.

------------------------------

Hermione stirred a bit coming, out of her deep slumber. She was glad that it was Sunday, as she didn't want to get out of her bed until noontime. Last night's party had really tired her out a lot more than she had expected. She had come home around 12 at midnight, and after changing into her nightclothes, she had gone to her bed straightaway.

Leisurely she stretched her body and turned to her side to get into a comfortable position. She almost fell down and realized that she was lying on the edge of the bed. Without opening her eyes, she shifted away from the edge and got herself into a relaxed position.

She could feel the sunlight warming her room, though she didn't remember leaving the curtains open last night. She slowly opened her eyes to take in the glory of morning sunlight, and instead of meeting the bright sunlight her eyes met two twinkling and amused emerald orbs.

Therefore, Hermione gave the most natural reaction one could expect from a human being in such a situation, she screamed.

Harry clamped Hermione's mouth shut with his hand.

"Hermione, stop screaming or you will be thrown out of this building for waking others so early in the morning, that too on a Sunday morning." Harry said in a laughing voice.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and pushed him away from her.

"What the hell are you doing here in my bed?" Hermione shouted.

Instead of cringing Harry smirked at her, his emerald green eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Last night I came here to talk with you," Harry thought for a moment, then said, "or probably this morning since it was already past midnight. You were sleeping, so I got into the bed next to you, waiting for you to wake up, and then I fell asleep as well." Harry said as though if it was the most logical explanation in the whole world.

Hermione covered her face in frustration. "Arghh! Why do I even bother to ask you?" she said frustratingly.

"Good question," Harry agreed solemnly, though his eyes were full of mirth.

Hermione hit him on the arm playfully making Harry grin at her widely, his eyes dancing with hilarity.

Hermione tilted her head on side and looked at Harry curiously.

"You know, Harry, if Ginny found out that you slept with me in my bed, she'll never go out with you." Hermione said mischievously.

Harry looked horrified at this. "But we didn't do anything except sleeping." He said.

"But only we know that. Who's going to believe us? People already believe that we are having a secret affair behind everyone's back." Hermione said with a teasing smile. She was enjoying it a bit too much.

It took a minute for Harry to realize that Hermione was joking. He narrowed his eyes at her.

"You are pulling my leg. Aren't you?" Harry asked in a mock threatening voice.

Hermione started laughing at this. "That's what you get for sleeping in my bed, covering the whole bed, and pushing me towards the edge." Hermione said as her laughter subsided.

"Hey, I didn't take the whole bed." Harry said in a complaining voice.

"Oh yes, you did. I almost fell off the bed." Hermione said pushing the covers off her and getting out of the bed.

Hermione made her way towards the bathroom, hoping that Harry would leave her alone for the day, as she had to finish some of her office work and do some grocery shopping as well.

When Hermione came out of the bathroom, Harry was not in the room, and his shoes were missing as well. Thinking that he had already left, she quickly dressed herself for the day and walked out of the room to prepare some breakfast.

When she entered the kitchen, Harry was there and he was busy preparing the breakfast.

"Hey," He said when he saw Hermione entering into the kitchen.

"Hi," Hermione replied standing on the other side of kitchen counter, in front of Harry.

"It smells good." Hermione said looking at the noodles Harry was preparing in the frying pan.

"Your favorite," Harry said and winked at his best friend. Hermione simply smiled in return.

After Harry finished making breakfast, Hermione helped him in setting up the table and they both sat to eat the breakfast.

"Wow Harry! It's delicious." Hermione said in an appreciative voice after tasting the noodles.

"Thanks," Harry said with a smile and took a sip of his orange juice.

"So, how did it go with Ginny last night?" Hermione asked with a knowing look in her eyes.

Harry smiled widely. "It was nice. We talked about many things like school, work, Quidditch, friends, Ron, and you. Moreover, she didn't even mention that stupid Davies." He said.

"Did you tell her how you feel about her?" Hermione asked, though she already knew the answer.

Harry scratched the back of his neck nervously.

Hermione squeezed his hand. "Harry, you should tell her. You need to take this risk. You can't go on forever like this, pinning for her and hoping that one day she would notice you." She said in a serious tone.

Harry looked at Hermione with a thoughtful expression on his face, contemplating what she had said.

"I think you're right. What do you think she would say?" Harry said.

Hermione thought for a moment. She knew that Ginny had the non-platonic feelings for Harry ever since the day she had met him for the first time on Kings Cross station.

Ginny had talked with Hermione many times about her feelings during their Hogwarts' years.

During her third year, Ginny had told Hermione that she had wanted Harry to ask her to be his date for the Yule Ball, and she was unhappy when Harry had started dating Cho Chang in his fifth year. However, at present Hermione didn't know how Ginny felt about Harry. They weren't very close now. Their closeness had faded since the war against Voldemort ended. They kind of had a strained relationship, perhaps because Harry took her with him on the Horcrux hunt instead of Ginny, who had insisted to go with Harry and help with the secret mission.

Hermione knew that Ginny was always a little jealous of her for the closeness and friendship she shared with Harry. Even though Ron too was very close to Harry, Hermione was closer to him and Ginny had always wanted that closeness with Harry.

Hermione was shocked when she heard that Ginny had started dating Roger Davies, who had once dated Harry's ex-girlfriend Cho Chang. She wanted to know what Ginny was thinking when she agreed to go out with Davies, but it wasn't her place to ask Ginny about it, at least not anymore.

"I don't know what to say, Harry. But she had very strong feelings for you during our Hogwarts' years. I think she still feels the same way. Maybe she just gave up on you and started dating Roger." Hermione suggested.

"Yeah," Harry replied dejectedly.

They both sat quietly during the next few minutes and finished their breakfast. After finishing the breakfast and washing up the dishes, they both were sitting on the couch in the living room lost in their thoughts.

"I think I would tell her today." He said unexpectedly.

Hermione looked startled at his sudden words. After composing herself, she nodded.

"I am done waiting. Today I will tell her about my feelings." Harry continued.

"All the best," Hermione wished him luck with a wide smile, feeling glad that Harry had finally decided to work upon his feelings, something she never had courage to do in her final year at Hogwarts.

Harry got up from the couch and made his way towards the front door. Hermione followed him to the door. Suddenly Harry turned around and hugged her tightly. Hermione was shocked for a minute, and then hugged him back.

Harry pulled back a little, but didn't let go Hermione from his embrace.

"Thank you so much for everything, Hermione. I don't know what I would do without you." Harry said in a heartfelt voice.

Hermione was touched by his gesture and caressed his cheek lovingly.

"Well, without me you still would have been in your first year trying to pass your exams." Hermione replied lightheartedly.

Harry laughed at this. "True, very true," He said agreeing with her. Hermione simply smiled at his laughing face, she loved it whenever Harry smiled or laughed without any sign of constant worry on his face.

"Now you better leave. Ginny must be at her home right now." Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry said. He kissed Hermione on her forehead and quickly left the apartment.

----------------------------

It had been more than three weeks since the last time Hermione had seen Harry. The last time she had seen him was the day when he had left her apartment to go and let Ginny know about his feelings.

Hermione also had been busy with her work in her department. Recently, she was promoted to the position of Deputy of Department of Magical Creatures, and head of the department was on an official leave due to some personal matters. As a result, it was Hermione's duty to look after the whole department along with her other responsibilities as the deputy head of the department.

Even though they both worked in the same ministry building, Hermione had not been able to contact Harry for last three weeks. In addition, Harry didn't come to meet her either. She had been expecting him to come to her to talk about what happened between him and Ginny, but she hadn't heard anything from him.

`Today, I am going to talk to him.' Hermione thought as she made her way out of her office and walked towards the lift. After sometime lift opened, Hermione stepped inside and pressed the button showing level two for Department of Magical Law Enforcement, where Aurors' department was located.

Hermione stepped out of the lift and immediately came face-to-face with Neville Longbottom.

Neville Longbottom was a former classmate of Harry, Ron, and Hermione at Hogwarts and a very good friend as well. After graduating from Hogwarts, he had joined the Auror training program and now he was one of the best Auror trainees at the Aurors' department along with Harry.

"Hey Hermione," He said cheerfully as his eyes fell on Hermione.

"Hi Neville, how are you?" Hermione said with a warm smile.

"I am fine. How are you doing? And, congratulations for the promotion." Neville said the last part appreciatively.

"Thank you," Hermione said blushing a bit.

"So what brings you here?" Neville asked.

"I was on my way to meet Harry." Hermione replied.

Neville looked confused at her answer. "Don't you know?" He asked.

Now it was Hermione's turn to look confused. "What about, did something happen to Harry? We haven't been in contact for last three weeks." She asked feeling tensed.

Neville looked a little nervous at her reply.

"Umm…Well, you know, Harry has been suspended from the Auror program for two months." Neville replied apprehensively.

"What?" Hermione said loudly.

"Shhh…" Neville gestured Hermione to bring her voice down. He looked around if anyone was listening to them and sighed with relief when he realized that nobody was there near the lift. He took Hermione's hand, steered her to the side of the lift, and started speaking.

"Three weeks back Auror department was planning to raid some of the empty warehouses on the outskirts of London. Two teams were prepared for this mission. Some of the trainees were also part of these teams and Harry was one of them. When he had come to the office that morning, he was looking dejected and moody, and he had almost jeopardized the mission due to his lack of attention." Neville said and took a deep breath before continuing.

"Ricardo was in-charge of the mission and he immediately suspended Harry after the mission was over. I haven't seen Harry since that day." Neville said despondently.

Hermione was shocked, would have been an understatement. She was beyond being shocked, she felt like crying. She was angry with herself for not talking to Harry sooner, but she was also mad at Harry. So much had happened in last few weeks and he didn't feel like telling her.

"Hermione, are you alright?" Neville asked tentatively, disturbing Hermione's thought process.

Hermione sighed and looked at Neville. "Yeah, I am fine." she replied gloomily, "I should better leave before Ricardo finds me here." She said with a fake laugh and without waiting for Neville's reply, she walked back towards the lift and pressed the button to open the lift.

-------------------------------

Hermione was standing outside Harry's apartment contemplating about what to do next. It was 6:30 PM, and she was hoping that Harry would be at home.

She was feeling very anxious about seeing Harry. She wanted to apprate straight into his apartment, but she wasn't sure how he would react. Thus, she decided to enter from the front door with his permission.

Gathering all her Gryffindor courage, she rang the bell. She waited for five minutes, but there was no answer from other side of the door. She once again rang the bell, but to no avail. Finally, when she was done waiting, she decided to apprate straight into the apartment. She looked around to see if anyone was there and found out that whole corridor was empty. She closed her eyes and disappeared with a soft `POP'.

Hermione appeared back in Harry's living room. Room was completely in disorder. Various things were scattered around the room including cloths and some empty Firewhisky bottles. Now she was sure Harry was at home.

She walked towards his bedroom and softly knocked on the door. When there was no answer, she slowly opened the door.

Harry was lying in the bed, his legs tangled with the covers. Hermione walked inside the room. She found Harry's broken spectacles on the floor and picked them up. With a quick swish of her wand, she repaired them. She walked towards the bed and put the repaired glasses on the nightstand.

Harry was a complete mess. His cloths were dirty and completely wrinkled as though if he hadn't changed out of them for last few days. His eyes were half closed and he was murmuring some unintelligible words to himself, definitely the aftereffects of Firewhisky.

Hermione sat on the edge of the bed and shook Harry lightly.

"Harry," she called in a soft voice. But Harry didn't reply, he just closed his eyes at her touch.

"What are you doing here, Hermione?" He asked, surprisingly in a clear voice.

"Harry, I want to talk to you and please, get out of this bed." Hermione said.

Harry turned away from her. "Just go away, Hermione. I don't want to talk to you right now." Harry replied in a depressed voice.

Hermione knew Harry was a very stubborn person and wouldn't come out of the bed without putting up any resistance. However, she wasn't going to let it go so easily. He was going to come out of the bed and talk to her.

"Harry, get out of the bed right now." Hermione commanded. But Harry didn't say anything. Hermione tried a few times to talk with him, but he didn't say anything in return.

Hermione was running out of her patience. She got up from the bed and conjured at bucket filled with chilled water in the mid air, and next second, Harry was completely soaked in icy water.

Harry yelped in shock and quickly sat up. Cold water was dripping all over him as he glared at Hermione, even though he couldn't see her clearly.

"Why the hell did you do that for?" Harry yelled at her angrily, "Just get the hell out of here."

Hermione was shocked at his outburst. Angry tears filled her eyes at his angry tone.

"I did this because I want to talk to you and you are acting like a complete jerk." Hermione shouted back as a tear rolled down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away.

Harry's shoulders slumped down a bit. He looked crushed and defeated as he stared down at his lap in shame for hurting his best friend.

"She said she doesn't feel the same way for me, as I feel for her. She said she's very happy with Roger Davies." Harry replied desolately.

"Oh Harry," Hermione said in a concerned voice. She could practically feel the pain and burden of his unrequited feelings.

She quickly got into the bed and hugged Harry tightly. After a few seconds, she felt him wrapping his arms around her securely and burying his face in her bushy curls. He was holding on to her as if she was the last drop of water on the whole planet. To Hermione's relief Harry wasn't crying, he just held on to her to feeling assurance, to know that he wasn't alone and that his best friend was there for him and would always be there for him.

------------------------------

Author's note:- So what do you think? Tell me through your reviews.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->