Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love and Like by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love and Like

rockstar

Author's Note :- This the last part of this fic. This chapter is from Ginny's pov. I thought at least she deserved a chance to express herself . It might not feel very original, but I wanted to get it out of my system. Hopefully you'd enjoy it.

Apologizing in advance for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Disclaimer :- I do not own Harry Potter and anyone or anything related.

---------------------------------------

The Answer Is No

"No,"…

Such a simple word, but a word that had a power of changing someone's whole world, their beliefs, shattering their dreams, making them feel insignificant, making them feel regrets for the opportunities they lost. So many things, a simple NO could make you feel.

All my life I thought if only I could get a chance with Harry. Luck was in my favour and I got my chance, or at least I thought it was my chance. However, now looking back at everything that had happened, it would have been nothing but an obstacle, before realization the actual destiny.

She remembered the first time she saw Harry. She was shocked. She had always thought and deduced from the stories, her mother had told her, that he would be big, strong and handsome. But he was small, scrawny and wore glasses. However, he was still Harry Potter, so everything was forgiven.

Her nerves were always strung up around him. She could not execute a proper sentence without stuttering. Everyone knew about her crush on Harry and her brothers always made fun of her, which escalated to a new level when Harry joined them at Burrow for the first time.

After she joined the Hogwarts, she became good friends with Harry, thanks to Hermione's guidance. She had started to hang out with Hermione, as they had become very good friends. Over the years, she became a close confidant with the trio. She had even started hoping that maybe one day Harry would notice her. With Hermione's advice, she had started dating other boys and she had become more comfortable around Harry with each passing year.

While Harry dated other girls, she tried to remain optimistic. However, what really shocked were the facts that over the years she had overlooked how close Harry and Hermione grown to each other. She never really thought Harry and Hermione would ever get together. To her they always looked like brother and sister. It was always there right in front of her eyes, she was just too preoccupied with Harry to notice the truth.

It was constantly there in the way they cared for each other, the way Hermione would never leave Harry alone, the way Harry always followed Hermione's words without ever questioning the consequences, the way he completely trusted her, the way Harry broke up with Cho, his long-time crush, just because she was jealous of Hermione. On every step of his life, Harry always looked for Hermione's hand to hold onto, and Hermione she was always there, no matter what.

Then war came and things changed. She was left behind, once again. By now, she was growing tired and irritated with closeness Harry and Hermione shared. They were closer than ever before. It was difficult to explain but it was there, an undercurrent of the things coming. Sadly, she once again failed to see the truth. It was well hidden but still visible to the most observant eyes.

She had started to lose it. All her efforts and Hermione's advice had failed to show the desired results. It didn't work for seven years, and now it was unlikely that it ever would.

Therefore, she tried to divert her mind from Harry, by really putting great energies in other relationship she was getting into. She distanced herself from Harry, although she wasn't sure if he noticed it. In spite of everything, there was always a niggling hope in her heart that someday he'd be hers.

Things went on smoothly in her personal and professional life. She had started to date Roger Davis. She liked him well enough to think about their future. When she had just started believing that she was getting over Harry, he had to go ahead and jeopardize everything in her life once again. He confessed to have feelings for her. It rocked her world to the core, at least that what it felt like when she turned him down.

She had already started to move forward in her life. She wasn't sure how much her rejection had affected Harry. She didn't want to hurt him, but she was at that stage of her life where she was feeling very confused about what to do, hence came her rejection, a thing she knew she'd regret in future. Perhaps that was her only chance to be with Harry.

However, his confession brought her old hopes back to life, just to be dashed again when she heard about the inevitable. Harry and Hermione had started dating. By some means, her hopes didn't deter completely. Harry had confessed to like her (even if he didn't say directly that he loved her). He had chosen her before Hermione.

It was difficult for her to hide the jealousy she felt towards Hermione, of her relationship with Harry. A jealousy that didn't go unnoticed by Roger and in the end they broke up.

Her jealousy was not new. She always felt jealous of everything Hermione shared with Harry. She was just very good at hiding her feelings. Even though Ron was also Harry's best friend and the trio had shared many unforgettable moments in their friendship, Harry and Hermione always had an unusual intimate connection that could not be denied even if they remained friends for so many years.

She had started hoping that after hearing about her breakup, Harry would come back for her. She felt guilty to think that way. She knew if Harry broke up with Hermione, he would break Hermione's heart as well. As she looked back to her years at Hogwarts, she realized there were always unintentional subtle signs from Hermione, which spoke of her love for Harry. She hadn't realized it then but she realized it now, Hermione had been in love with Harry for years.

Nevertheless, she couldn't help how her heart felt. She had wanted Harry for years, since she was a little girl hearing stories about boy-who-lived, Harry Potter.

She tried some times, to tell him about her feelings, but there was never a right time. She knew Hermione suspected her motives. She wanted to believe that Harry regretted getting together with Hermione, that he wanted to be with her, but couldn't breakup with Hermione because he didn't want to hurt his best friend. Hence, she kept hoping and believing that her wishes will come true.

But everything ended. Just a simple No ended it all.

Perhaps confrontation between Jessica and Hermione was the thing that brought the whole thing out in the open, leaving her and Hermione facing each other with Harry in between them. Things just escalated out of control.

She had hoped Harry will come to her, but like always her luckless luck played its part, again where Harry was concerned. He came, but just to make her realize that all her dreams, wishes, hopes, and beliefs were nothing but just a figment of her imagination, that she had been imagining since she was a little girl.

Truth was clear as a mirror, it was Hermione, and it had always been Hermione- the only one he ever loved.

In the end, it was always meant to be, Harry and Hermione that is.

And so today sitting here, looking at Hermione walking down the aisle, she is thinking, could it have been her walking down the aisle to Harry Potter instead of Hermione Granger.

Was it supposed to be her, just like she had always imagined herself to be? Did she lose her chance when she turned down Harry's feelings? Was she meant to be with Harry? Would have they lasted if she and Harry have gotten together? Would Harry have given her Hermione's place in his life? Would he have shared his fears, nightmares, and secrets with her? Would he have trusted her unreservedly, followed her lead without ever questioning her judgement? Would Harry have loved her like he loved Hermione?

So many questions, but only one answer. No.

No. She never had a chance with Harry. She was never meant to be with him. Their relationship would never have lasted. He would have never shared his life with her or trusted her totally. She would have never ever replaced Hermione in Harry's life and…. He would have never loved her the way he loved Hermione.

Hermione was his whole world, inside out, his sole purpose to live, where nothing else mattered but her.

The way he was looking at her and the way she was responding to his smile were for everyone to see and to shine in the glory of their love. As Harry and Hermione said their vows, her eyes could see a golden aura around them. Finally, they were where they meant to be, together forever.

Everyone was happy for the golden couple of the century, the boy who lived and the brightest witch of her age, except her. But being a Gryffindor, she gathered her courage and walked towards them. People were congratulating them, wishing them all the luck in the world, not that they needed it. After all, they had each other.

"Congratulations Harry, Hermione," Ginny said with a smile.

Harry and Hermione were talking to Ron and his date, Luna. They turned and looked at Ginny and her heart decided to try her luck for one last time. She looked into Harry's eyes just for a fleeting second, to see if she could find in his eyes what heart desired to see. And yet the answer was, no. There was nothing but blankness for her. She had tried to hurt Hermione for which perhaps she'd never be forgiven.

Harry didn't reply, just walked away and Hermione said a small thanks with a tight smile and followed him. And she was left behind, staring after them, nursing her broken heart, her broken dreams, and her broken illusions.

-------------------------------------------

Author's Note :- So what do you think? Please read and review.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->