Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love and Like by rockstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love and Like

rockstar

Author's note: - Apologizing in advance for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Disclaimer: - I don't own Harry Potter and anyone or anything related.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally Smiling

She quickly got into the bed and hugged Harry tightly. After a few seconds, she felt him wrapping his arms around her securely and burying his face in her bushy curls. He was holding on to her as if she was the last drop of water on the whole planet. To Hermione's relief Harry wasn't crying, he just held on to her to feeling assurance, to know that he wasn't alone and that his best friend was there for him and would always be there for him.

--------------------------------------------------------

After what seemed like hours, Hermione pulled back and took a good look at Harry. He looked better than what he looked like when she had entered the room. His eyes looked clearer and focused. Even though, his clothes and body stunk due to the alcohol he had been consuming for quite some time now, his appearance looked a lot better than a those drunken men, who spend a whole night drinking in some grimy pub located in some dingy corner of the city.

Harry looked at Hermione with sleepy eyes and gave her a small smile, although he still looked depressed and overwhelmed. However, Hermione knew the worst was over, and he would only get better from here.

Harry emitted a huge yawn and fell back into his bed.

"Oh, no…no…no, dear," Hermione said in a perfect imitation of Mrs. Weasley. She pulled Harry back into sitting position and then pulled him out of his bed.

"You are not allowed to sleep, Mr. Potter." Hermione said in a stern voice, even though one could see a tender smile underneath the façade of austerity.

"But I want to sleep Hermione." Harry complained, rubbing his eyes to remove the drowsiness from them.

"Sorry Harry, but you are going to take a good hot bath. You are stinking." Hermione said screwing up her nose in disgust to prove her point, "I'll prepare something to eat and then we are going to talk. Okay?" She said giving him a look that said yes is the only option, you have.

"Yes," Harry grumbled.

"What? I didn't hear you clearly." Hermione, despite knowing what he had said, pretended to lean towards Harry to hear clearly, what he has to say.

"I said, yes." Harry said loudly, frustration evident in his voice.

"Good," Hermione said with satisfaction, unfazed by his loud voice.

Hermione left the room, leaving a gobsmacked Harry behind.

"Mental, she is." He said to nobody and made his way towards the bathroom.

Hermione went into the kitchen. She found an old packet of bread and some cheese in the freezer and some milk that smelled unpleasant. She dumped them into the dustbin and decided to make a quick visit to the nearby grocery store. She had gone there many times before to buy things for Harry. She wrote a small note for Harry telling him about going to grocery store and left the apartment.

-------------------------------------------------

After taking a long shower, Harry was feeling better. He came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist, and took out a fresh pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt from the wardrobe. After putting on his clothes Harry looked around his room, which looked like a complete mess with various things scattered around. He picked up his wand from the nightstand next to his bed and started casting cleaning charms around his room. After around 15 minutes, room looked in much better state than it looked earlier. Dirty clothes were in laundry basket, various small things scattered around were back in their places. Only things left were few empty bottles of Firewhisky. With a flick of his wand bottles vanished.

After looking around his room with some satisfaction, he made his way out of the room and into the kitchen, only to find that Hermione was not there. He panicked for a moment. Then, he found the note on the kitchen counter and sighed with relief. He went back to his living room and started casting cleaning spells.

----------------------------------------------------

By the time Hermione came back, whole apartment was clean.

"Good work, Harry." Hermione said appreciatively as she looked around the clean living room.

Harry simply smiled in return. He took the bags filled with grocery things from her hand and made his way to the kitchen, Hermione followed.

"So what would you like to eat?" Hermione asked Harry, once all the grocery things were put in their places.

Harry shrugged in return. "Whatever you like," He said dispassionately.

Hermione sighed at his attitude, but stopped herself from saying anything.

"Why don't you go out and watch TV, and I'll prepare something for us to eat." Hermione suggested. Harry simply nodded, showing no sign of protest and left the kitchen without glancing back.

Hermione was feeling very sad for her best friend. She was shocked that Ginny rejected his feelings so easily. She was also sad that Harry fell in love with someone who didn't return his feelings. Too bad, sometimes it felt like pain of unrequited feelings was worse than a Cruciatus curse.

Hermione had a very good experience in the field of unrequited love. At least this time while comforting Harry she could say that I know how it feels Harry, she thought with an inner chuckle.

She forced all the negative thoughts out of her mind and started working on preparing some sandwiches and two mugs of hot chocolate for her and Harry.

Once everything was prepared and set in a tray, Hermione levitated the tray out in the living room. She lowered the tray carefully on the table in front of the couch Harry was sitting on. He was sitting there, his eyes closed as though if he was dozing. However, looking at his tensed shoulders Hermione knew that he was doing anything, but sleeping.

Hermione sat next to him, and Harry, feeling her presence next to him, opened his eyes.

Hermione gestured towards the table with her thumb. "Let's eat." She said.

Harry just nodded, albeit reluctantly. He picked up a sandwich from the tray and Hermione handed him the mug of hot chocolate. They started eating in silence.

Hermione waited for him to speak, but when he did not say anything for next ten minutes, Hermione decided to break the quiet.

"So Harry, how are you feeling now?" Hermione asked taking a bite of the sandwich.

Harry didn't reply and continued to eat his sandwich.

"I shouldn't have told her about my feelings." Harry spoke suddenly his voice filled with anger.

"And, why not?" Hermione asked unsympathetically.

Harry looked at her as though if she had gone mad.

"Don't you see what happened? She clearly rejected my feelings." Harry said crossly.

"So what would you have done then, huh? Let me guess you would have pined for her for the rest of your life hoping that one day she would fall in your arms and confess her undying love for you. Isn't it? And, until then you would make yourself and people around you miserable." Hermione said harshly, all her anger and frustration coming forth.

She detested it with a passion to see Harry sad and defeated. His negative attitude had scared her. She remembered the days after the final battle. Harry was living like an empty shell, it was as if he had lost his will to live. Hermione was scared that he might try to hurt himself. Fortunately, Harry finally let her in after her constant attempts to help him. Since then they both had become a lot closer than they were ever before. She never wanted him to go back on that path of depression and hopelessness ever again. She would do anything in her power to make sure that Harry lives a happy life.

Harry looked shocked at her outburst, and then his shock turned into sadness. He looked away from Hermione.

Hermione's eyes filled with tears, she felt guilty at her behavior and for hurting Harry. Harry was her biggest strength, but he was also her biggest weakness. She hated it whenever anybody hurt Harry. And right now, she was loathing herself for hurting him. She took Harry's hand in her own and squeezed it. Harry turned his face to look at her.

"I am sorry Harry." Hermione said with choked voice as tears freely flowed from her eyes. Harry quickly sat straight, looking alarmed at the sight of tears in his best friend's eyes.

"Oh Hermione," Harry said concernedly. He immediately pulled Hermione in his arms, holding her firmly against his body, her head resting on his firm chest. Hermione's arms tightened around him as her body shook with heavy sobs.

"I am so sorry Harry. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." Hermione said in a strangled voice.

She kept repeating her apologies. Harry pulled her on his lap and made soothing voices in her ear until she calmed down a bit.

Once Hermione was sure that she could speak without breaking down, she pulled back from him, but didn't leave his embrace.

Harry wiped her tears away with his thumb and kissed her forehead.

"I am sorry for my insensitive comment, Harry. I didn't want to hurt you. I don't know what came over me." Hermione apologized with her face down. She was looking at his chest, unable to meet his eyes due to shame.

Harry cupped her cheek, forcing her to look into his eyes.

"I don't blame you, Hermione. In fact, it should be me who should apologize." Harry said in a caring voice. Hermione opened her mouth to protest, but Harry shook his head.

"You are right. I can't waste away my life pining for Ginny." Harry said, "You know, I think you are going to get your name in Guinness book of world records for being right for most number of times in the whole world." He added jokingly.

Hermione smiled at him sheepishly.

"What can I say, I have this talent of being right, which comes quite handy most of the times. However, in case of Ron, most of the times I use it at the wrong time on the right place. He has the firsthand experience of it." Hermione said in a laughing voice.

Harry burst out laughing at this, forgetting everything about Ginny. Hermione simply smiled at her laughing best friend. She stood up from his lap and sat next to him on the couch.

Once Harry's laugh subsided, Hermione decided to touch another sensitive subject.

"Neville told me that you have been suspended for two months." Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry said quietly, once again feeling depressed.

Hermione squeezed his shoulder to comfort him.

"Don't get depressed Harry. Look at the positive side of suspension." Hermione said trying to sound cheerful.

"And what could that be?" Harry asked looking confused.

"When was the last time you went to meet Teddy?" Hermione asked with raised eyebrows.

Harry's eyes widened with realization. "Oh," he said guiltily.

"Yes, oh," Hermione said with a smirk, and then she continued, "Yesterday I was in Diagon Alley due to some office work. There I ran into Mrs. Tonks. She said that Teddy misses you a lot." She said.

Harry rubbed his temple tiredly. "Some godfather I am," he said dolefully.

"You know what, Harry, get your butt out of the pit of your self-pity. Go and meet Teddy. You still have… what….umm…around five weeks of suspension or more like vacation left, before you have to report back to the Auror department. Spend it with your godson and friends. Do whatever you want to do. Go to Hogwarts to relive the old days, go to Quidditch matches, get a new girlfriend, have one-night stand," Hermione stopped for a moment to think, "Umm…no cancel the one-night stand part…but you know what I am trying to say. Just have fun." Hermione said passionately, "And you are the best godfather." She added.

She stopped and looked at Harry who was looking back at her grinning widely, his eyes sparkling with her favorite mischievous glint.

"What?" She asked suspiciously.

"What's wrong with a one-night stand?" He asked cheekily.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and looked ready to attack him any moment. Harry quickly got up from the couch.

"Okay, okay. Just relax, I was just teasing." Harry said defensively.

"Fine," Hermione said calmly. Once Harry was sure that she wouldn't attack him, he sat back on the couch next to her.

After that, both of them finished the remaining sandwiches and hot chocolate, which Hermione had reheated. They both slumped on the couch, their eyes closed, their stomach full and feeling sated.

"Harry," Hermione called drowsily, without opening her eyes.

"What?" Harry replied sluggishly.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked at her best friend. "You didn't congratulate me for my promotion." She said sleepily.

Harry looked shocked at his own stupidity. "Oh shit," He cursed.

"I am so sorry Hermione and congratulations." Harry said pulling Hermione in his embrace.

He gave her a tight hug and pulled back. "I am sorry. I completely forgot about it. I'll make it up to you. I promise." He said.

"It's alright Harry." Hermione reassured him with a smile. Harry smiled in return, relief written on his face.

Then, Hermione thought for a moment and spoke, "If you want to make up for your forgetfulness, let me sleep here for the night. It's already dark outside and I am too tired to apparate to my flat." She said, her eyes filled with amusement.

"But this is a one-room apartment and there's only one bed." Harry said looking suspicious of his best friend's intentions.

"So," Hermione said innocently.

"So? I am not going to sleep on the couch." Harry said stubbornly.

Hermione pouted at him. "So are you going to make a girl sleep on the couch, Harry?" She asked in a child-like voice.

Harry knew Hermione was teasing him, so he decided to play along. "No, we can always share the bed." He replied playfully and winked at her.

Hermione's eyes widened at this. She wasn't expecting it. "No thanks," she grumbled feeling disappointed for not having a witty retort, "I would very much prefer to sleep in my own bed, alone." She said emphasizing on the last word, and then she got up to leave. Harry was laughing by now. He grabbed Hermione's wrist to stop her and got up from the couch.

"I was just joking, Hermione. Come on, let's get you changed in some comfortable clothes and then I'll even tuck you in." He said amusedly and pulled Hermione along with him towards his bedroom.

Harry opened his wardrobe and took out his old Gryffindor Quidditch team's jersey and an athletic-style boxer for Hermione to wear. He handed them to Hermione, and then he took out another pair of boxer and t-shirt for himself and closed the wardrobe.

"But Harry, I don't want you to sleep on the couch. It would be very uncomfortable. I was just joking. I can apparate to my flat. I have no problem, really." Hermione said in a sincere voice.

"Hermione, did you forget I am a wizard? I can always transfigure the couch into a comfortable bed." Harry said in a laughing voice.

Hermione blushed and gave a small smile to Harry. "I guess, I forgot." She murmured.

Harry simply laughed in return. "Now go to sleep. I'll see you in the morning." He said and turned to leave.

"Harry, aren't you going to tuck me in?" Hermione said teasingly, just when Harry reached to the door.

Harry turned around to look at his best friend. He stared at her curiously for a second and then rolled his eyes at her.

"Good night, Hermione, sleep well." He said with a smile and closed the door.

Hermione smiled dreamily. She was happy that Harry was smiling again.

"Good night, Harry," She whispered into the room and made her way towards the bathroom to change out of her work clothes.

-----------------------------------------------

Author's note: - Please tell me through your REVIEWS what you think of this chapter.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->