Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Arithmetic Theory by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Arithmetic Theory

SoraSummers

A/N: Here we go with more of the plot again, hopefully the rest of the story will be like this, though I promise I will try and continue the comic relief as the story gets more serious.

On another note, I'm not going to make a sequel to this fic, so instead the final confrontation with Voldemort will happen in this fic, so let's all pretend that the date in the riddle that says something about Harry's seventh year actually means this one instead. A'ight?

On yet another note, I do think I'll be writing another fic after this one, but it'll be post-Hogwarts. I'll use some of the same ideas from this fic in that one, I'll let you know more when I get closer to writing it.

One Fierce Beer Coaster, The Blood Hound Gang, Track One, Kiss Me Where It Smells Funny:

"She's the one that's speechless I'm the one that's tongue-tied, she's thinkin' holy mackerel I'm thinkin' tuna on the side!"

*****

Chapter 45

"What's wrong Harry?" Hermione asked for the thousandth time the next day, when Harry winced at the slightest bit of contact. His back was very raw from the impact he had with the wall the night before, and it was causing him pain with every step.

"Slaczious." Harry muttered in response, testing Hermione's ears in Parseltongue and cunningly trying to change the subject.

"Look Harry," Hermione scolded him. "You may not want to tell me what's wrong - and yes, I do know what you said, 'nothing' - but don't treat me like I am some nobody who can't tell when you're hurting or hiding something. You know you can trust me with anything, and it hurts when you keep things from me, especially when you're in pain because of it."

Harry immediately felt guilty for keeping this information from Hermione, but he couldn't tell her, she wouldn't understand, no one would. If Hermione knew what he was doing…she would go to Dumbledore immediately, and the headmaster would find some way to stop him.

Honestly…it wasn't like he was hurting anyone. It was just a good way to relieve stress and learn about the dark arts at the same time. How else would he be prepared to fight the dark curses if he didn't know them himself?

Hermione took the hint that Harry wasn't going to tell anybody what was wrong so she decided to drop the subject for the time being. Instead they were now in Weapons class, Harry having his ass handed to him on a silver platter by Cloud while Hermione was mauled by Tifa.

Harry knew that he was getting better with a sword, but no one was anything close to the skill level that Cloud was at. Harry figured he was well above-average; but he didn't really care as long as he could beat Malfoy every time, which he could.

Harry also enjoyed the fact that he more or less knew why 'Katrina' was no longer in the class and Malfoy didn't. Anything he one-upped the Slytherin prick on was a good thing.

Although his classes were going fairly well in all subjects, it was March, and that meant Hermione had started to get on both him and Ron to start studying for their end-of-year exams. Ron, like always, told Hermione that she was nutters and ignored her every time that she tried to get him to study.

Harry on the other hand was more than willing to spend time alone with Hermione, whether it be for studying or something different, just for the simple fact that he could be with the woman he loved.

The one class that Harry was needing every last bit of help he could get in was Arithmancy. Though he may have been dealing with a great riddle with a fair amount of success; he had a lot more trouble with the actual in-class practical work.

And that lead him to where he was now; in the library with Hermione, looking over their Arithmancy notes. "Honestly Harry, it just isn't that hard," Hermione told him in the tone she took whenever she couldn't understand why some people were a lot dumber than she was. "Just combine the numbers, interpret the letters and symbols, and it'll be easy!"

Harry, tired of work, resorted to flattery. "Wow Hermione, smart and beautiful. How did I ever land you?"

Hermione blushed, a small smile playing on her lips. "Oh Harry…"

Yes! She's been distracted! Now to put the quaffle through the hoop!

"I love you Hermione."

Her smile broadened as her face flushed an even deeper shade of red. "Oh Harry…I love you more."

Harry grinned. "Yeah…you probably do. I'm so desirable and everything."

Hermione laughed and swatted at Harry's arm playfully, their notes forgotten.

Damn I'm good.

"You know Hermione," Harry began. "We're engaged and all, but we haven't really talked about setting a date. Do you know when you want it?"

Hermione smiled and nodded, seemingly prepared for this question. "Yes Harry, we'll have it as soon as you defeat Voldemort. I want you to have something to look forward to."

Harry decided it wouldn't get him anywhere to point out that he may not be alive that long to get married, so he bit his tongue. Besides, he understood what Hermione was trying to do, giving him something that Voldemort did not have.

A reason to live.

*****

"Slaciete!"

"Mracsienece!"

"Flasacsica!"

Harry was yet again in the Room of Requirement, firing curses every which way in Parseltongue. He was starting to be real damned good at it. Harry had always been one to be modest, but he knew the truth behind his power; he wasn't stupid. He knew that these curses he was shooting would most likely rip a man in two pieces if they connected.

But, he wasn't planning on using them on any men, any time soon.

Well, maybe if he was provoked. That would make it okay, right?

*****

April came with no new developments by Voldemort, which Harry found deeply disturbing. The date on the riddle gave him about a month to figure everything out…or else, well, he didn't know what else.

Harry was walking from Charms to Defense class with Ron and Hermione when they heard a familiar drawl drift their way.

"Look, if it isn't Potter and his pathetic mud blood. Oh - and I almost didn't see you there Weasel - then again your best friends haven't been paying you much attention lately either have they? So I suppose you're used to feeling neglected, especially with a pathetic excuse for a family like yours."

Ron spun so quickly one would have thought he was facing that direction the entire time. But Harry was a bit distracted by what Malfoy had said. Had he and Hermione really been ignoring Ron that much?

Malfoy, knowing there were no teachers around, fired a quick curse.

"Dransienso!"

Hermione gasped - but Harry, thinking quickly jumped in front and bellowed a counter-curse, in Parseltongue. "Prasciten!"

Malfoy's spell rebounded with such force that it threw the blonde boy far across the hallway and through a wooden door, into a seldom-used broom closet.

Feeling rather proud of himself, Harry turned and smiled at Ron, who was looking at him in awe. Hermione's reaction, however, was much different.

"Harry," She said sternly, her eyes gleaming. "Where did you learn to counter a dark curse?"