Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Arithmetic Theory by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Arithmetic Theory

SoraSummers

A/N:

Okay, the training finally begins! A few more surprises are in this one as well, just adds to the overall mystery of the plot…

*****

Chapter 12

Once outside the tower, Harry pulled the cloak off, causing Ron and Hermione (who were the two under his cloak, Luna, Ginny, and Neville were under the other) to gasp loudly.

"What are you doing?!" "We'll get caught!"

Harry laughed at their antics, throwing the invisibility cloak over his shoulder suavely. "Guys, every teacher in the school knows that we are receiving special training from Dumbledore. Even Filch. The cloaks are just to get us out of the common room."

He saw looks of realization dawn over both of their faces, Hermione's accompanied by a blush. She was always embarrassed when she missed something so obvious. Harry thought she looked cute like that though.

Ginny, Neville, and Luna seemed to materialize out of thin air next to them after pulling off their own invisibility cloak. Silently, the sextet walked down to Hagrid's hut, curious and excited for their first night of training.

When they got to the hut, Harry pulled out his wand and muttered, "Point me." The wand spun and pointed to his left, so they headed left for fifty paces, then turned and went left another fifty, so they were now standing where they were supposed to start their training.

"DUCK!" Ron bellowed, and without thinking, Harry grabbed Hermione's robes and pulled her to the ground next to Ron. Neville managed to get down quickly as well, but Luna and Ginny were hit by the stunners that had been fired at the sextet, rendering them unconscious immediately.

Harry made a mental note to never have fun at Ron for his Divination abilities ever again.

Harry jumped to his feet, pulling Hermione up with him, and together, the four remaining students yelled, "Lumos!" And all of their wands lit up, giving them feint visibility of the surrounding woods. They could hear people moving, but couldn't see them.

Sighing, Harry raised his wand at the nearest tree and bellowed, "Inflamare!"

The tree immediately lit fire and around him, Harry could hear the others doing the same thing. Now they could see the shadowy forms of Tonks, Mad-Eye, and Lupin walking towards them, curious smiles on their faces.

"Interesting tactic Potter." Moody growled, and Harry smiled, lowering his wand.

"Expelliarmus!" Suddenly Harry was thrown backwards and his wand sailed into a fuming Alostar Moody's outstretched hand.

"CONSTANT VIGILANCE POTTER!" He bellowed, tossing Harry's wand back to his owner. "Never lower your wand while in a duel! What came over you boy!?"

Harry gaped at him. "But you, you said, and I thought," "Anyone could be trying to trick you Potter! What if I was Lucius Malfoy under a polyjuice potion? What then?"

Harry stared at him, lock jawed, and didn't bother to answer.

"That is quite enough, Alostar." Came the almighty voice of Albus Dumbledore, who had just, with one flick of his wand, ceased the burning of all the trees that had been on fire. He smiled at Harry.

"That was very impressive Harry. All great duelers will use their surroundings to their advantage. I am happy to see that you have already begun to learn that. Also, I am proud that you find such faith in your friends," He motioned at Ron, who blushed, then at the unconscious Luna and Ginny.

"Apparently Misses Lovegood and Weasley are not quite at that level of faith yet. Enervate." He pointed his wand at the two, who awoke immediately and blushed at all the faces around them, realizing that they had obviously done the worst out of the six.

"Now, for tonight, I will leave you with Tonks and Remus, and you may begin your animagus training. Good luck." And with a swish of his cloak, he was gone. Moody mumbled something under his breath and left as well, leaving only Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville, Ginny, Lupin, and Tonks.

"Okay guys, let's make a circle shall we?" Tonks said, plopping down on the ground, Remus following suit. A few seconds later they were all sitting in a ragged circle. All eyes turned on Tonks.

"Okay, now we must find out what kind of animal you will become. Search your souls and fins the animal that is most like you, that you have the most experience with, that you understand the greatest.

Harry sighed and closed his eyes, although he already knew what his animagus transformation would be. By the way Tonks had said it, Harry had no doubt that when he transformed that he would become a serpent. He could speak to them, he had fought them, he understood them well, so he was unsurprised to see the image of a snake running through his mind.

Suddenly, Harry felt a quick flash of power, and he swore that he saw a dragon, but didn't know what to make of it. Slowly he opened his eyes, and one by one, everyone else did the same.

Tonks smiled at them all and looked at Ginny. "Let's start with you dear." Ginny smiled slightly. "A kneazel." "No surprise there," Ron muttered, making Harry grin. Ginny had always been quite the cat lover, and she even acted like one on occasion.

Tonks smiled at her and turned next to Luna, who was, as always, wearing a dreamy expression on her face. "A Falcon." Everyone looked at her in surprise, but Tonks said nothing and next turned to Neville.

He scrunched his eyebrows together and said, "A lion, but it wasn't like one that I have ever seen before, it was like, somehow, more powerful." Tonks and Remus exchanged a curious look.

"A Grynx?" Tonks said silently, and Lupin nodded. "That's what it sounds like. Neville," He said, returning his gaze to the once plump, accident prone boy, who now was only slightly overweight. Apparently the summer had been good to him. "You need to find all the information on Grynx's as you can. They are an extinct magical lion, very powerful. I have never heard of anyone ever embodying one as an animagus before. You must be truly brave to have that form Neville." Neville blushed while everyone else looked at him in a mixture of awe and happiness. Harry always knew there was something special about that boy.

Next it was Ron's turn. He smiled broadly. "A fire drake!" Hermione gasped and Tonks looked astounded for a moment, but quickly recovered. "Very powerful, very fast, very dangerous. Of course it does represent you well Ron, with your flaming red hair, your love for flying, and you daring and bravery. You will do well as a dragon."

Harry smiled at Ron, who was beaming with pride. Dragon animagus were very rare.

"And how about you Hermione?" Lupin asked, and Hermione blushed, replying quietly, "A Phoenix." This time everyone gasped, except for Remus, who simply smiled and nodded. "The purest of all creatures, even more so than a unicorn. Also brave, loyal, and beautiful." "Well that describes you perfectly," Harry muttered in her ear, making her blush in delight at the compliment.

"And now for Harry." Tonks said. Harry sighed. "Three guesses what." "A serpent?" Hermione said, and Harry nodded bashfully, but then looked at Remus.

"Yeah, I knew it would be a serpent, but while I was viewing the snake, something strange happened." They all looked at him in curiosity. Harry continued. "For a brief second, I saw a dragon, but it couldn't have been a dragon. I mean, a wizard can only have one transformation, and this wasn't any ordinary dragon, it was gold. As far as I know, no golden dragon exists right?"

Remus and Tonks looked puzzled, as did everyone else. An awkward silence broke over the group, finally ended by Remus. "Well you are correct Harry, on both counts. No wizard can have two animagus forms and as far as I know there is no golden species of dragon. Very strange indeed."

Another uneasy silence swept over the group, only the rustling of leaves in the wind and an occasional stir of a wild animal breaking the silence peacefully from time to time.

Remus checked his watch. "Well, I reckon that's enough for tonight. Why doesn't everyone head back to bed now, and we'll start your actual transfigurations tomorrow. You all are a very talented lot, and I would not be surprised to see you complete your first transformation within the next few weeks."

He nodded to them all and they took that as their leave to go. Harry and Hermione let the others go ahead and they strolled through the forest, hand in hand, Hermione's head snuggled into Harry's shoulder, her bushy hair tickling his chin.

"Harry Potter," Came a low, intellectual voice that Harry recognized. He spun around and smiled.

"Firenze! How are you? I heard that you were allowed back into the forest after Dumbledore came in here to get Umbridge last year! How are things?"

The centaur took a few more steps towards Harry, stopping only when he was within arms reach. Harry, even though he knew that Firenze was nice and harmless, unconsciously tightened his hold on Hermione. Firenze looked to the sky.

"It is beautiful, is it not?" He asked, motioning to the stars that hovered over the world, their beauty calming the night sky. Firenze continued. "The war is coming, Harry Potter. We have seen it in the stars, it is inevitable."

Harry shuddered a little. Where was he going with this?

"I foresee a great gain for you, Harry Potter, in the near future, but I also predict a great loss. One may not come without the other. It is inevitable, the stars have foretold it, and it is your destiny. Good luck, Harry Potter."

With one last glance towards the sky, Firenze left the two in a shocked silence. Hermione started to pull on Harry's robes. "Come on Harry, you know that Divination is a load of rubbish. No one can predict the future."

Harry eyed her carefully. "The prophecy?" She shifted uneasily.

"Well we can't know that it is true, can we? I mean, there's no proof?"

Harry did his very best not to become angry with her. "Hermione, what about the prediction in my third year?" Her eyes fell to the forest floor.

"I know, it's just," Her eyes welled up with tears. She looked him fiercely in the eyes. "I just don't want it to be true. I love you to much to lose you!" She sobbed and threw herself into Harry's arms. He shhhd her and said that everything would be fine, that Voldemort couldn't touch him if he knew that Hermione was always going to be there, waiting for him.

Finally satisfied, they walked out of the woods, and were heading back towards the castle when Harry felt a strange tugging on his chest. "What the…?"

"What is it Harry?" Hermione asked, eyes filled with concern. Harry shook his head.

"I dunno, it's just, I feel like something is calling to me."

Hermione's eyes widened in fear. "Voldemort?"

Harry shook his head again. "No, not that, this feels…I dunno, like, love, almost, only it's not." Hermione looked at him in utmost confusion. He grabbed her hand and started to jog to the tower. They didn't have the invisibility cloak - Harry had let Ron take it - so they had to hurry inside before a student spotted them outside and started making rumors.

The strange feeling in Harry's chest did not go away as they reached the common room, and suddenly, he knew what it was.

"Hermione!" He said urgently. "The egg! It's opening! Hurry, go get it from your room!"

Hermione didn't say anything, but nodded and ran towards her room, returning a few minutes later with the egg. They sat down on the couch, and Harry took the egg in his hands. It was still, but he could feel the power radiating inside of it.

"Harry," Hermione said skeptically. "The charm isn't going into effect, you know, the one that tells us when the egg will open? So I think we should-"

She was cut off as the egg started to vibrate. Harry smiled at it. "Come on buddy, you can do it. Just a few more shakes and you'll be out of there. Come on, come to me."

Hermione stared, mouth agape, at Harry. "Harry," She whispered. He looked at her to show that he was listening. "Well first of all, the egg shouldn't open for a few weeks yet. Secondly, I know I performed that charm perfectly, so I don't understand why I can't feel the egg opening. But thirdly," She stared directly into Harry's eyes. "Do you realize that you just spoke Parseltongue to the dragon egg?"

Harry was astonished. No, he hadn't realized that. But his thoughts were cut off as the egg started to break apart. Piece by piece, the egg came undone, until finally, the dragon was revealed.

Hermione gasped, and threw a hand over her mouth. "Harry…" She whispered, although it was barely audible. Harry was at a loss for words, he just stared at the dragon.

The baby dragon composed completely of golden scales, with the eyes and tongue of a serpent.

Chapter 13

"How…?" Harry stared at the baby dragon, mouth agape, then realized something. "Hermione, we haven't even given him a name yet!"

Hermione, too shocked to speak, simply nodded. Harry stared at the dragon, its golden scales glistening brightly. It looked just like any other dragon in its features, except for the eyes and the tongue - those features belonged to a snake.

Harry looked at the dragon, who, most incredibly, spoke to him. "Do I have a name, master?" Harry flinched at the dragon - just born and therefore should not be able to speak - and managed to choke out, "N-no, is there any name that you would like?"

The dragon hissed, not viciously, but almost…respectfully?

"I know of no names, I only came into being a few moments ago, I have intelligence, but not a name. Please, master, it is your duty to give me a name."

Harry finally composed himself and shook his head. "First off, don't call me master, my name is Harry." The young dragon nodded his brilliant golden head in response. "As for a name, I will call you…" Harry went deep in thought, wanting to give a proper name to accommodate the creatures appearance and power, which Harry expected to be incredible.

Harry thought of the only name he could, something that represented the dragon. It was something Harry was always responsible for, as the dragon would be. It was also pure gold, just like the dragon, and it flew quickly and brilliantly, also like this dragon (Harry had no doubt that the dragon would probably become the strongest in the world in no time). And it was also powerful, in a manner of speaking, when in its environment.

Harry smiled at the beast. "Your name will be Snitch."

Snitch gave Harry what he assumed was an approving look, and Harry turned to his girlfriend.

"His name is Snitch," Harry said, smiling at Hermione, who was absolutely speechless - not a common event. "I dunno what kind of dragon he is, but I'd bet all my gold in Gringotts that you won't find it in a book - I think he's an entirely new species."

Hermione gasped, but finally gained her composure, smiling at Harry. "That's not saying much Harry, you don't want any of that gold in Gringotts." Harry laughed and whispered in her ear. "But then I wouldn't have any money to waste on my beautiful girlfriend."

She blushed, but nodded in understanding. Harry turned back to the dragon.

"I don't know why, but I feel strangely drawn to you, Snitch. Do you feel the same way? Do you know why?"

The dragon hissed back his answer, "Yes on both counts, Harry. But I cannot tell you why, you will find out when the time is right, there is no other way. Until then, I will be simply your pet, your friend, and I will help you as much as I possibly can."

Without missing a beat, Harry asked, "What do you mean, until then? What happens when I find out why?"

The dragon made a noise that Harry supposed was a laugh. "All in due time, Harry. Now, please, I am tired, it takes a great deal of energy to break out of an egg, and I need to rest. So let's go to sleep."

Snitch flapped his little wings and flew into the air, coming down on Harry's shoulder, much like an eagle. Snitch dug his talons into Harry's flesh, but amazingly he felt no pain, but rather a slight, tingling, pleasure, as if the dragon was an essential part of who he was.

Harry turned to Hermione, who was looking slightly peeved at being left out. "Hermione, basically Snitch just told me that I am his 'master' and that until I find out why I am so drawn to him - it is a him, I don't know how I know, I just do - he will simply be my friend and help me with everything I do. I dunno how we're gonna explain this to Dumbledore or Hagrid, but that can wait until tomorrow I guess. Right now, since he's only about six inches long and four high, he can sleep in the dorms with us. But once he gets bigger he'll have to move out by Hagrid."

"I will not grow until you discover our connection. I will stay in this form until that time arrives." Snitch hissed, and Harry looked at him in surprise before quickly repeating what he had said to Hermione.

Hermione's eyes lit up in thought. "Harry," She said. "Please, in our free time, let me see you speak with snakes and snitch here, and relate what you and they are saying to me, and eventually, perhaps I could learn the language! I could never speak it, of course, but I could understand it, so you could tell me important things with it and I'd understand. Wouldn't that be grand!"

Harry nodded, never in doubt that Hermione could accomplish this feat, she was the most brilliant witch Hogwarts had ever seen.

Finally he sighed and stretched, just realizing how tired he was. He leaned in and kissed Hermione softly. "Goodnight Hermione, I love you."

She kissed him back and replied, "I love you too Harry. Come get me before you go to Dumbledore tomorrow, I want to tell him this together."

Harry nodded and turned up the Gryffindor stairway, taking the stairs one at a time and very slowly, contemplating going to sleep right on the spot. Stairs couldn't be that uncomfortable, could they?

Finally he reached his room and crashed on the bed, Snitch curling up by his chest under the blankets. Harry smiled at the dragon and pet its head before drifting asleep and dreaming that there was a certain bushy-haired brown-eyed girl laying in bed with him rather than a dragon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry was glad to be the first awake in the morning - although he was still absolutely exhausted - as it gave him amble time to wake up Snitch and throw the invisibility cloak over him before heading to the girls dormitories.

He paused at the bottom step, frowning. He couldn't go up there on his own, and Snitch was probably to weak from the previous day to carry him. He thought for a moment before grinning to himself. "Accio couch cushion!" The large pillow flew to him and he jumped on top of it, smiling at his brilliance.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" He said with a swish and flick at the pillow underneath him, and he drifted up into the air with the pillow, levitating himself up the stairs towards the girls dormitories.

As he was chuckling to himself he was suddenly hurled backwards be an invisible ward. Harry landed luckily on the pillow and didn't get hurt from the fall. Apparently the wards were all over the place, not just on the stairs alone.

Harry could have sworn that Snitch was chuckling, or at least as close to chuckling as a dragon could be.

"Grab on," He spoke in Parseltongue to Harry, who complied, frowning. Suddenly Harry felt a great rush of wind, and he was in the sixth year girls dormitory. He gasped in realization.

"You can apparate!"

"In a manner of speaking, yes, I can. Even with the wards on the castle. It is just another power of mine. I have many that will become known to you as we begin our journey to the truth."

Harry was going to ask what the truth was, but decided against it and decided instead to walk to Hermione's bed and gently nudge her awake. When that didn't work, he grew an evil grin and softly pressed his lips to hers, knowing that she would wake up to that.

Hermione moaned a little as she woke up, but gently started to return Harry's kiss as she realized what was going on. She smiled at them as they broke apart. "Mmm, I could wake up like that every day of the week."

Harry grinned at her and pulled her out of bed. "Come on Mione, get dressed and meet me in the common room so we can go speak with Dumbledore."

She nodded and started to head towards the bathroom when it hit her. "Harry, how did you get here? There are wards to stop boys from entering!"

He grinned and motioned to Snitch, who was perched on Harry's shoulder. "Just one of his many talents."

Hermione smiled and waved to Snitch. "Good morning Snitch."

"Good morning Hermione." Snitch replied.

"He said 'Good morning Hermione'." Harry translated, earning himself one last smile from Hermione before she vanished into the bathroom.

Quickly, Snitch disapparated (or whatever it was that he did) back to the common room. Harry swore loudly when he heard a surprised gasp from behind him.

He whirled around and stared at and astonished Mark Evans. It was Harry's turn to gasp. How had he not noticed it before? He had the auburn-red hair, and bright, emerald green eyes.

It hit Harry again. Mark. Mark Evans. Harry's mother's maiden name was Evans. Could Mark possibly be related to him? How could he have never noticed this before?

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Hermione coming down the stairs to meet Harry.

"Hi Harry!" She paused as she saw Mark. "Oh, hello Mark," She said somewhat dejectedly. "What are you doing here?"

Harry answered for him. "I had just come down here with Snitch and he was here." He turned to Mark. "Look Mark, you can't ell anyone what you just saw, okay? Not even your best friends or your parents. Understand?"

Mark nodded weakly. "Okay then," Harry said with a grin, and he spun Mark around so that he was staring directly at Hermione. Harry looked at her. "Mione, is it just me or does he look like someone that neither of us ever got to know?"

Hermione gave him a strange look, then gasped loudly. "Evans, Harry, your mother's name was Evans! And Mark looks just like her! Apart from him being a boy, of course."

This was news to Mark. "Your mum's name was Evans?" Harry nodded slowly. "Well, it is a rather common name, perhaps it's a coincidence?"

Harry shook his head slightly. "I don't know, but we were just going to see Dumbledore, and I think he may be able to clear some things up for us." Harry nodded to Hermione and they started to leave before noticing that Mark was frozen stiff.

"What's wrong Mark?" Harry asked with concern.

Mark was able to stutter out the words, "Dumbledore…greatest wizard…in world…meet him?" Harry and Hermione smiled at each other and dragged Mark to the portrait hole.

"Come on Mark, he's a great guy, he'll be happy to meet you." Not allowing for protests, Harry threw the invisibility cloak over Snitch - Mark was amazed when the dragon simply disappeared, but said nothing - who now flew over their heads, invisible to everyone in the school.

Well not to Mad-Eye, perhaps, but the Defense wing was on the other side of the castle. So Harry didn't think they would have to worry about him.

"Tongue Toffees." Harry said at the gargoyle, and it sprung to life, eliciting a gasp from Mark and knowing smiles from Harry and Hermione.

They entered the office and Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, working on something for the ministry. He smiled at the trio as the walked in.

"Ah, hello Harry, Hermione," He said, intentionally using their first names, and he constantly asked them to call him by his first name as well. "And you, Mr. Evans." He said, nodding his head at Mark, who was looking on in awe.

"Professor," Harry said, getting Dumbledore's attention. "There are a few reasons why we are here, one of them is this," He seemingly tugged at the air above his head, but in reality he was pulling the invisibility cloak off of Snitch.

Dumbledore looked genuinely surprised at the golden dragon. "There's more," Harry said, turning to Snitch.

"Snitch, I'd like you to meet the most powerful wizard in the world, Albus Dumbledore." He hissed in Parseltongue, furthering Dumbledore's surprise.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Albus Dumbledore." The dragon replied, and Harry translated, more for Hermione than for Dumbledore.

"He said it is a pleasure to meet you Professor. Well actually he said Albus Dumbledore."

The aging professor nodded behind his long, white beard. "I assure you, the pleasure is all mine. Now Harry, I expect that there is something else going on here. Am I correct?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, there is." He motioned to Mark. "I have noticed many similarities between myself, and Mark. Is it possible that we are related?"

Harry braced himself for the answer, Dumbledore frowned. "I do not know, I am afraid, but I see where your concerns lie, I will look into it."

Harry nodded again. "Thank you Professor."

As they turned to leave, Dumbledore stopped them. "As far as your dragon goes Harry, you will be allowed to bring it with you around the castle, to all of your classes, and without an invisibility cloak. I daresay that there is something very important about that dragon, Harry, and that it will surface itself when the time is right. I will inform the professors of the situation. You will tell the students the truth, there is no point in lying to them. That dragon is an unknown species, presumably the first of its kind. I hope that you discover just what it's purpose is."

He dismissed them after that, and Harry walked off, wondering just how important Snitch was going to be in his life, and in his fight with Voldemort.

Chapter 13

The next couple of days passed without much action, except for the usual Malfoy taunts (Harry was quickly learning to ignore them) and a great deal of questions about the golden dragon that seemed to be attached to Harry at the shoulder.

The dragon honestly went with Harry everywhere. All of his classes, breakfast, lunch, dinner, it always slept in his bed as well. It wasn't that Harry disliked the dragon, in fact, Snitch was quickly becoming like a brother to him (in a weird, inter-species kind of way), but sometimes Harry just wished that the dragon would give him some time alone.

Finally, Friday night before going to bed, Harry voiced his ideas to Snitch.

"Look, Snitch, you know that you've been a great friend to me, and I truly do enjoy your company, right?"

Snitch replied instantly with, "But you would like more free time to spend with your friends, and it is somewhat annoying to have a dragon constantly following your every move?"

Harry looked at the dragon with a smirk, in only a few days the thing could already read his mind and finish his sentences. It had taken Hermione at least a few months (after the troll) for that.

"You know me too well, I'm sorry, but can you please give me some space?"

The golden beast made a sound that Harry had come to realize was a laugh. "I've been wondering how long it would take before you asked me that. Of course I will give you your space, I will from now on only accompany you when you wish it, I will spend most of my time flying around the forests from now on. Before you protest, please, take this…"

A bright, brilliant, golden light emitted from the young dragon, and Harry was astonished to see an equally brilliant golden orb float into his hand.

Snitch spoke, "This orb will allow you to speak with me telepathically, no matter how far apart we may be. To use it, you only need to touch it and I will be able to hear your every thought, and respond to them. Now…" Another brilliant flash lit the darkened room, and Harry (once his vision was restored) was astonished to see a leather glove with the orb in bedded now firmly attached to his hand.

"How…" Harry began, but Snitch cut him off.

"The bond we share is very strong, Harry, stronger than anything you could ever imagine. When the time is right, you will discover just how strong our connection truly is…"

He let the sentence hang, and Harry knew better than to ask for an explanation. He found out a long time ago that Snitch would never tell him anything about their connection until he discovered it for himself.

'But how strong can a connection be?' He pondered to himself, walking out to the forbidden forest with Ron and Hermione, ready to begin their first ever attempts to transform that night. 'I mean, it can't be any stronger than me and Hermione's bond, but I feel like it may be, but only in a different way. It's almost like he's a part of me, he knows me so well. But Hermione's like that as well. So what gives?'

Harry banished his thoughts quickly as they reached the meeting area. He smiled at the nervous faces around him. Everyone was nervous but excited to have their first go at becoming an animal.

"Good evening all," Tonks said pleasantly, smiling at all of them. Everyone returned her smile, then turned to Professor McGonogall, who would be supervising them tonight, seeing as she was a kneazle animagus herself.

"Well let's not beat around the bush here, and get straight to it. Miss Weasley, you first."

Ginny gulped and stepped to the center of the circle that they had formed. The moonlight was shining brightly on her face, and Harry had to admit that she looked fairly beautiful. He grinned when he noticed that Neville had realized the same thing, although his reaction was a little different, his mouth opening slightly.

"Now remember Ginny, just imagine being the cat. Bring up all of the feelings and thoughts that revolve around your animagus form and bring them to mind. Nothing else should matter. Just focus on the kneazle, and the kneazle alone. Imagine the fur growing on your body, the shrinking down to size, get the picture of the cat in your head, then allow your body to conform to that image."

Ginny nodded, taking all of the information in. Her eyebrows scrunched in concentration, she seemed lost deep in thought.

Then, she began to change. Hair started to sprout up all over her body, and she began to shrink. A tail sprouted from behind her, and then suddenly, it all stopped.

Ginny fell to the ground, exhausted, still in the middle of transformation. Harry couldn't help but laugh aloud at the sight, soon joined by all of the others.

Ginny's face was mostly covered in red fur, but a different, lighter shade than her normal hair, and it clashed horribly. She was hunched over as her spine was in mid-transformation when she had stopped, making her look somewhat like a hunchback. Her tail was only a few inches long, and looked horribly misplaced.

This was all not to mention that her clothes had not successfully melded into the fur that was the kneazle, so there were blotches of black robes and red fur all over her body.

McGonogall smiled at her and transfigured her back to her natural self.

"How are you dear?" She asked, slightly concerned.

Ginny managed a weak smile. "Tired, I felt like…just, like…drained."

Lupin stepped forward and handed her a piece of Honkeyduke's chocolate. "Eat this Ginny, it'll make you feel better."

She hurriedly took the chocolate and stuffed it in her mouth. "Fanks Froesscor." They all giggled at her lack of manners, but no one said anything.

"Okay, you next, Mr. Longbottom."

Neville nodded, and taking a deep breath, he stepped forward.

The effect was immediate. Neville's arm and legs became powerful legs with strong paws and razor-sharp nails. His face flushed out in a bushy mane, and his clothes were replaced by brilliant golden fur.

His nose bulged outward, and the mane grew even larger. His eyes grew, and his teeth became like knives.

In less than a minute, Neville stood in front of them all on all fours, a fully-fledged Grynx.

Harry was stunned, as was everyone else. Neville, the shy, accident prone boy of years past, had just become the first of them to transform successfully. True, only one other person had tried it so far, but it was a great feat nonetheless.

After a few seconds in his form, Neville became very shaky and slowly returned to his normal self, a collapsed heap on the ground. He was sweating profusely, and looked like he could hardly move.

Moony hurriedly shoved a Honkeyduke's in his mouth, and Neville started to come around.

McGonogall was shocked, to put it lightly.

"V-very impressive Mr. Longbottom." She was clutching her chest tightly, Harry was afraid she may have a heart attack. "If only you put forth that much effort into my class I daresay you would be one of my better students, as it is obvious that you are already one of the most talented."

Neville gave her a weak smile, and Harry was sure that he was blushing, but it was impossible to tell as his face was already red from the effort he had put forth.

"And you now, Miss Lovegood."

Luna took center stage and started to concentrate…and concentrate…then she concentrated some more.

After ten minutes, she had only turned her hair slightly darker and her nose had become elongated. McGonogall gave her a reassuring smile after she saw the young girls dejected face.

"Do not fret about it, Miss Lovegood. Very few witches and wizards have the ability to become animagus. You have the ability, surely, but it will take some time to completely assume your form. I took at least a dozen tries myself before I got it right."

Neville's chest welled up in pride at the remark, but he tried to look like he wasn't to excited that he had bested his head of house at her own game.

Luna took some chocolate and ate it while staring at Ron, a dreamy expression on her face.

Ron didn't need to be told, he simply walked to the middle of the circle, which was now considerably larger due to the enormous form of his creature.

Ron closed his eyes in concentration, and he began to change. His face went dark red, and a snout and tail began to form. Ron's hair seemed to meld in with his head, becoming dark, red scales.

His eyes began to change, they became the fierce red of the fire drake. Ron began to grow, larger and larger, until finally, he collapsed to the ground, completely spent, halfway through his transformation.

It took a few minutes for him to wake up, and he was greeted with concerned looks from his friends, but an appraising one from Minerva. He also got some chocolate from Lupin. Tonks was just smiling at him proudly.

"Very good, Mr. Weasley. It takes a great deal of energy and power to transform into a dragon. For your first attempt, you preformed admirably."

Ron beamed at her, or at least he gave her as close to a grin as possible in his condition.

"You next, Miss Granger."

Hermione shakily moved into the middle of the group, and looked at McGonogall nervously. "Um, Professor McGonogall, I was uh wondering, because my animagus is so completely pure and innocent, and only a pure and innocent person can become one…well I mean, I guess what I am trying to say is," She gulped, blushing brightly. "Not that we would do it any time soon, because we're so young, but,"

Harry shuffled his feet in nervousness as he realized what Hermione was going to ask.

"But, well, um, me and Harry love each other, and well, one day, well actually probably night, we'll show each other how much we love each other, and well, um, would that affect me being able to turn into a phoenix? I mean, when I lose my innocence, do I lose my animagus form as well?"

Tonks and the rest of the sextet - excluding Harry - fell on the ground in hysterical laughter, while Lupin looked at Harry very uncomfortably. Harry and Hermione were both blushing, but staring at McGonogall who seemed at a loss for words.

"Well," McGonogall started, sternness evident in her tone. "I expect that when you 'lose your innocence' it will be away from Hogwarts grounds." Harry and Hermione blushed even brighter, while the others rolled around on the ground in laughter.

"But no, it will not effect your animagus transformation. Now, with that aside, please assume your form, Miss Granger."

Hermione nodded, and without further ado, she began to change.

She shrunk to the ground rapidly, her skin and robes quickly turning to brilliant, red and gold feathers.

Her face immediately grew red and into a beak, more feathers forming all around her.

Within a few seconds, she had completely transformed into a phoenix. She tried flapping her wings a few times, but to no avail.

After a minute or so she transformed back into herself, smiling slightly, but a bit dizzy and she fell into Harry's arms, who caught her.

"Thanks Harry," She said with a seductive smile, forcing Harry to lean down and kiss her tenderly. Ron stifled a laugh while the others just gave them knowing smirks.

McGonogall decided against saying anything and motioned to Harry.

"You next, Mr. Potter."

Harry nodded and took center stage, forming the image of a serpent in his head.

He felt the ground raise up at him as he transformed, taking an amazing amount of energy with it.

He experienced an eerie sensation of his arms and legs melding together and his ears melting into his skull.

He suddenly went blind, although he could taste the air with his tongue.

Before he knew it, he was shooting upwards again at a rapid pace, but he kept his snake form.

'What was going on?'

He continued to rise, until he was sure that he was at least fifteen feet tall, and that his body was a further fifty feet long after that.

He felt massive fangs two feet long grow in his mouth, and suddenly he could see again.

He would have screamed if it was possible when he realized what happened.

He wasn't just a snake, his animagus form was a basilisk.

And he had been staring Hermione dead in the eye when he transformed.

A/N:

Heh, sorry, cliffhanger huh? That's just how the chapter's are pread out I guess.

Preview - A new animagus idea, a dream, a death…