Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

It had been a long, hot summer. As Harry looked out his bedroom window, he though about how much of a waste his summers really were. He hated being stuck in this house with them; Vernon, Petunia and Dudley, his so called family. No, this wasn't his home, Hogwarts was. He was usually excited to go back to school, but not so much this year. At the end of last year he lost the one person that meant the world to him; Sirius Black. Sirius fell through the Veil at the Ministry of Magic, and Harry blamed himself for his death. If it wasn't for him, Sirius wouldn't have been there. Because of this, Harry had spent most of his summer in his room. Ron and Hermione had written to him quite a bit over the summer, but he'd only written back once or twice to let them know he was ok. Ron seemed to take this in stride, but Hermione knew him better. She knew he would lock himself up with his guilt, and she was worried. A part of him felt bad for making her worry. It was the same part of him that had realized over the summer that he had feelings for her. Unfortunately, the guilty part of him wouln't let him explore these feelings. It was bad enough that Hermione was hurt in the Ministry; he wasn't going to endanger her life further by admitting his feelings to her. If Voldemort found out what she meant to him, she could be used as bait to get to him. No, he'd rather hide his feelings and keep her as his best friend. It just seemed easier that way. His feelings had never mattered before, why should they now?

Today, Ron and his family would be here to pick him up. They were supposed to be here at 10 a.m. to take him to the Burrow. It was now 10:25. Harry was used to them being late, it happened all the time. He was a little nervous about how they would arrive. He was hoping the Ministry would lend them another car so there wasn't a repeat of the floo fiasco. He didn't want to upset Vernon and Petunia any more than necessary.

He heard the doorbell ring and ran downstairs. He opened the door quickly before anyone else could. There in front of him was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. He started at her sandal clad feet up long, tanned legs to a skirt that was just above her knees. Her shirt exposed her stomach, where he couldn't believe what he saw. She had a belly button ring! Hanging from the silver hoop was a small, shiny emerald the same color as his eyes. As he made his way up her chest, he noticed that her breasts had filled out over the summer. He continued up her long graceful neck to her dazzling smile and then her gorgeous cinnamon eyes. Eyes that were looking right back at him, assessing him much the same way. He couldn't really read the emotion that was in those eyes right now. It was one he had never really noticed before. When he was able to pull away from her gaze, he noticed her hair. It wasn't frizzy looking like the last time he saw her. It looked soft and shiny with perfect ringlets going halfway down her back. She had also gotten it highlighted, and it brought out her eyes and tan even more.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked.

"Well, nice to see you too Harry" she said smiling.

"I'm sorry" he said "it's just that I was expecting Ron. I didn't know you were at the Burrow?"

"They came and picked me up before they came to get you" she said "I hope you don't mind."

"No, no it was a great surprise!" 'Way to go Potter! Make her feel unwelcome.' he thought.

"Well, the Weasley's are waiting for us in the car. I volunteered to come help you with your stuff. What can I carry?" Hermione asked

"Well, my trunk is pretty heavy" he said "why don't you take Hedwig's cage?"

"Alright, I think I can manage that" she said "so are you all ready to go?"

"Sure am" said Harry. With that they turned and walked out the door.


Harry walked out to the car, where he saw three redheads waiting for him. He put his trunk in the boot and climbed in the backseat with Ron and Hermione. Hedwig's cage was up front with Ginny and her Dad.

"Alright there Harry?" asked Mr. Weasley

"Fine thanks" Harry replied "Thanks for coming to get me."

"You know it's not a problem, I just wish we could have come to get you sooner" said Mr. Weasley.

Harry looked over to Ron, who was sitting on the other side of Hermione. He was looking at Harry with an unrecognizable look on his face.

"Hey Ron" said Harry.

"Hi" was all Ron said.

'I wonder what's up with him?' thought Harry. 'I guess I'll have to wait and ask him later.'

After Ron's strange reaction to Harry, the rest of the car ride to the Burrow was quiet. Harry really didn't mind though. He was just glad to be out of the Dursley's house for the summer.


They arrived at the Burrow a short time later. As Harry carried his trunk to the front door, Mrs. Weasley ran out the door and grabbed Harry in a huge hug. It was so sudden that it made Harry drop his trunk.

"Oh Harry!" cried Mrs. Weasley "It's so nice to see you again. How have you been dear?"

"Fine Mrs. Weasley, thanks" replied Harry.

Trying to escape an inquiry by Mrs. Weasley, he hurriedly grabbed his trunk and took it upstairs to Ron's room. Just as Harry set his trunk down, he heard the door close behind him. He turned around and saw Ron standing in front of it with that same unreadable expression.

"What's up Ron?" asked Harry hesitantly.

Ron stood there staring at him for a moment, then said "Harry, do you have any feelings other than friendship for Hermione?"

"WHAT?!" shouted Harry. "I've spent my summer mourning Sirius, and the first thing out of your mouth is asking me whether or not I have feelings for our best friend? Ron, I don't feel anything anymore, I'm NUMB!! The only way I've survived so far is by turning my feelings off as much as I could. That way it didn't hurt so bad."

Ron looked embarrassed after Harry's outburst. "I'm sorry Harry. But I really like her. After she got hurt in the Ministry, I decided I didn't want to wait to tell her how I feel. She's all I've thought about all summer, and now that she's here I want to let her know." He continued "I would like to hear you say you're ok with this before I say anything to her."

Harry stood there for a moment just staring at his so-called best friend. This was turning out to be one of the worst summers he's ever had, and here was Ron asking to take away his only ray of sunshine. What was he supposed to say?

"Harry?" Ron said, trying to get his attention.

"Yeah?" Harry said, snapping out of his thoughts. Ron stood there looking at him expectantly. Harry looked down at the floor as he said "Sure Ron, it's fine with me." He swore he heard his heart break a little as he said this.

"Great!!" yelled Ron "Thanks mate!"

As Ron turned and ran out the door, Harry lay down on his bed. He curled up into a ball and wiped the tears from his eyes, wishing he could just go to sleep and not wake up again. It would make things so much easier.