Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

Hermione went to her room and changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt right after Harry left. She had grabbed her favorite book and blanket and went downstairs. She curled up wrapped in her blanket on the couch in front of the fireplace. She felt really tired, so she laid her head on one of the armrests and quickly fell asleep. What felt like only a short time later, she felt someone shaking her. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Harry kneeling in front of her looking at her with a concerned look on his face.

"Hermione, love, are you feeling ok?" he asked while tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. He looked so worried about her that she felt her heart swell with her love for him.

"I'm fine Harry. I just got really tired all of a sudden. Madam Pomfrey said that I might feel tired a lot and that it was normal." She put her hands on either side of his face and said "I love that you care about me so much."

"Of course I care for you, and I worry about you and the baby being ok. I don't think I could handle it if anything happened to either of you" he said, leaning down and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"So how did your fitting go with Remus?" she asked, sitting up.

"We really didn't go for a fitting today. I had something I needed to get, and I needed you to stay here." When he saw the slightly put-out look on her face, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the maroon box. "I went and got this for you."

He handed her the box, and watched as she carefully lifted the lid off. When she saw the ring nestled in the box, with light reflecting off of the three gems, her breath caught in her chest. "Harry, it's gorgeous!"

Harry took it out of the box and lifted her right hand up. He slid it on her ring finger and said "I know it's supposed to go on the left, but I think you should wear it on this hand until after the ceremony. Is that ok with you?" When she nodded, he said "You know the sapphire is your birthstone, and the ruby is mine. I'm hoping after the baby is born we can get his birthstone put on there too, on top of the diamond."

She sat staring at the ring on her finger, and her eyes welled up with tears. "You are so sweet Harry. I can't believe you went to all this trouble to get me a ring. I love it; it's perfect!" She hugged him as the tears fell down her cheeks in happiness.

"I got our wedding set too. Do you want to see it?" She nodded yes, and he opened the box to show her. She gasped when she saw the beautiful pair of rings. She couldn't help it; she started crying harder.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, looking at her tear stained faced, worried.

"Nothing is wrong" she blubbered. "How did I get so lucky to have someone as loving and thoughtful as you in my life?"

"I'm the lucky one, love" Harry said while caressing her cheek with his hand. "My life started when I met you on the train before first year. I would not be sitting here right now if not for you. You've saved me in more ways than one."

She wrapped her arms around him and kissed him. She put all the love she felt for him into the kiss, and he returned it equally. They spent the rest of the afternoon snogging on the couch and enjoying each others company.


Harry and Hermione went down to the Great Hall for dinner, and were just sitting down when Dumbledore stood up and raised his hands. "Can I have your attention please?" When he saw most of the students looking at him expectantly he said "I wanted to let you know that a memorial service for Cho Chang will be held here tomorrow afternoon at 2 P.M. Anyone that wishes to attend can. That is all" and he sat down to eat.

Hermione looked at Harry and asked "you're going to go, right?"

"Of course I am. Things may not have worked out between us, but she was a good person that didn't deserve to die so young. I'd like to pay my respects" he said looking down at his plate.

"I'll be there with you Harry" she said grabbing his hand tightly in reassurance.

At two the next afternoon, Hermione was sitting in the Great Hall with Harry and many other people for Cho's memorial service. Dumbledore spoke as did many of her friends, and when it was over they all retired to their common rooms. Harry walked in and flopped down on the couch and Hermione sat next to him. Neville had come in with them and sat in one of the chairs next to the couch.

"I can't believe that's it. A one hour service where friends and family say how much they are going to miss you, then they're supposed to go home and try to start healing themselves. She was alive for what, seventeen years, and that's all summed up in sixty minutes?" Harry had gotten up while he spoke and started pacing in front of the fire place.

"Do you expect them to dwell on the fact that she's gone and never coming home again?" Hermione asked, then realized what she had said. Harry looked at her, anger showing in his expression, then turned and ran upstairs to the boy's dormitory. "Why did I have to say that?" she said more to herself than to Neville.

"Don't worry Hermione, I'm sure he'll be ok in a little while." Neville said, awkwardly reaching over and patting her shoulder.

"Thanks Neville" she said smiling gratefully. 'I hope it's only a little while' she thought, still berating herself for reminding him of Sirius.


Later on that night, Hermione crept into the sixth year boy's room after lying in bed not able to sleep. Harry hadn't come down since their talk after Cho's memorial service. She was worried about him; she couldn't stand the thought that he might still be upset with her. She opened the door to his room as quietly as possible. She looked over to Harry's bed and saw that his curtains were drawn. She crept up to them and gently pried them open. Harry was sitting on his bed propped against the headboard. He noticed her peeking in and patted the bed next to him. She carefully climbed in next to him and closed the curtains. He grabbed his wand from under his pillow and muttered a silencing charm so they could talk without waking the other guys in the room.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked. "You should be sleeping right now; you need your rest."

Hermione looked at him and leaned in to place a kiss on his lips. She pulled away and ran her hand slowly through his hair. "I love you. You know that right?"

"I know. I'm not mad; what you said just reminded me of losing Sirius. I've just been sitting here thinking of the past and wondering what my future might be like" Harry said giving her a small smile and looking down at her stomach briefly. "So how come your up so late?"

"I got to thinking, and I realized that next year at this time our baby will be here. I'll be trying to take care of our son, take care of you and keep up on homework." She looked down and started picking at a string on the blanket while saying quietly "I guess I got scared."

Harry looked at her and realized how hard next year was going to be for them. 'If I'm here next year' he thought darkly. Shaking that horrible thought out of his head, he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her to him. "I'm scared too 'Mione. There's so much going on right now; I can't imagine what it will be like with a baby to take care of." He kissed the top of her head and said "we'll make it as long as we stick together. I know I'm one to talk after walking away tonight, but I swear I'll help out the best I can." His heart lightened a little when she smiled up at him, and then a thought occurred to him. "You know, we're going to have to start thinking up some names for the little guy."

"We do have just a little bit of time to do that you know" she said laughing.

"I know; it's something fun to talk about instead of all the horrible stuff that goes on around us. I was actually thinking about this a little; what do you think of Harold?" he said trying to look serious.

"Um...Harold? Wherever did you get that name?" Hermione asked trying not to offend him if he was actually being serious.

"Well, I don't really want to name him Harry Potter Jr. and Harold is close to Harry" He looked at her and said "do you realize what he would go through having my name? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy...well, maybe Draco. But he might enjoy the attention..."

"Anyway, back to the name, did you happen to come up with anymore?" When he shook his head no, she said "the next time I talk to Mum I'll see if she still has the baby name book she bought before she had me. Maybe we will find a name we both agree on."

They both laughed and Hermione kissed him, snuggling into his chest. He lay back against his pillow and wrapped his arms around her. "Will you stay with me tonight?" he asked. When she didn't say anything, he said "just to sleep? I don't feel like being without you right now."

A smile crept over Hermione's face. "Of course I will. You're a great teddy bear!" They both laughed at that and snuggled down under the covers.

" 'Night love" said Harry kissing her forehead.

"Goodnight Harry." They both closed their eyes, and in minutes were sleeping soundly in each others arms.

After the peaceful night they had spent together, the next day they met up with Remus and Hermione's parents to start the wedding preparations. Hermione had drawn out a list of what each person would do so that nothing would be forgotten (hopefully!) They were eating breakfast with each other in the Granger's room discussing the tasks for the day and Hermione was showing off the ring Harry had gave her the night before.

"I take it that the two colored stones are your birthstones?" her Mum asked. When Hermione nodded she exclaimed "It's gorgeous!! But it's on the wrong hand!"

"We know Mum, but Harry and I agreed that I should try to deflect some of the attention and questions this ring is going to cause as long as we can. On our wedding day, I will put it on the right hand. Trust me, I would love to shout to the world that I'm Harry Potters fiancee and let all of his groupies know he's off the market." She laughed at the look on Harry's face and said "but that just wouldn't be very smart right now with Voldemort lurking about."

Harry nudged Hermione in the side and whispered something to her. She smiled slyly and looked at the three adults in the room with them saying "you know, I went to see Madam Pomfrey a couple of days ago. I wasn't feeling well so she did a full exam on me. Everything seems to be fine so far, and we know the sex of the baby. Because of Cho's memorial yesterday I didn't get the chance to tell you.'

Mrs. Granger smiled over at her and said "that's great dear. I'm glad everything is ok...wait, did you say you know the sex of the baby?"

Hermione smiled when she saw them all take in the words her Mum had just said. "So, would you like to know what we're having?"

"YES!" they all said looking at her expectantly.

"Harry, do you want to tell them?" Hermione asked.

"I'd love to." He paused a moment to let the suspense build a little and said "we're having a boy!"

Hermione's mother jumped up and hugged her, then Harry. "Oh, a little boy! That's great!"

"You know, Robert is a great name for a boy" he said smiling while he shook Harry's hand.

"So is Remus" said Lupin smiling and shaking his hand also.

"Robert Remus Potter?" Hermione said while looking at Harry. They could each tell by the others look that they didn't like the name, but didn't want to offend the two male role models in their lives.

"It's better than Harold I guess" said Hermione trying to stifle her laughter when she saw the dirty look that Harry was giving her.

"We'll keep it in mind" said Harry politely.

After their breakfast, they all started in on their lists of tasks trying to get as much done as they could. It continued on like that every day until it was the day before classes were to begin. They had gotten a lot done in that time, but it seemed like there was so much more to do. The only good thing was that Remus and Hermione's parents could still get things done while they were in their classes. Harry and Hermione were in a corner of the common room quietly discussing who would be in their wedding party.

"I was thinking of asking Ginny" said Hermione, looking over a list of people "but I don't know if she will accept after what she said to you when you went to see Ron the first time."

"You said that you worked things out with Ron right?" he asked.

"Yeah, we left things on a good note, so hopefully she won't hold any grudges. I really don't know who else I want to ask. We agreed to have two people stand up with us right?" When Harry nodded yes, she asked "I know you asked Remus, but who else are you asking?"

Harry sat quietly for a moment. When he didn't answer, she looked up at him and was surprised at the sad look on his face. "Harry? What's the matter?" she asked concerned.

"After I found out Sirius was my Godfather, I just took it for granted that he'd always be around. I remember thinking about life after Hogwarts, getting married, and he was always right next to me at my wedding as my best man. And Ron, he's my best mate, or he used to be. If I didn't have you by my side, I...I really don't know what I would do. Ron's just like a brother to me; it's like a piece of me is missing. You two are my family and I miss talking to him and playing chess with him. It's the little things that I miss, you know?" Harry asked her, wondering if he was making any sense.

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes "Harry, I'm sorry to have caused so much trouble between the two of you."

Harry looked at her wondering what she had meant by that. "What are you talking about Love?"

"I knew that Ron had some kind of feelings for me when we were at the Burrow, but I just ignored him and turned to you. I should have known he wouldn't just get angry with me, but with you too. I should have handled things better than I did. I cost you your friendship" she said as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Harry looked at her in wonderment, and grabbed her hand while he asked "Hermione, love, how can you blame yourself? This is between Ron and I, you didn't do anything to cause our friendship to dissolve."

She sniffled a little and said "it's these darn hormones" trying to lighten the conversation a little.

Harry chuckled and squeezed her hand. "As long as I have you standing beside me, I don't need anyone else. I know that may sound corny, but it's the truth. Ron should be here tonight, and maybe he and I can talk things out. I would really like him to be a groomsmen. I can't imagine getting married without him by my side."

"Hey, maybe he can be a bridesmaid instead?" Hermione asked cheekily.

"That would be something to see" laughed Harry, glad that her mood had lightened a little. "So who else are you going to ask?"

"The only other person I can think of is Lavender. We're not the best of friends, but I talk to her more than some of the other girls in our year." Hermione took one last look at the list and said "I think we're actually done with the wedding party!"

"Good, cause it's time for lunch and I'm starved!" Harry said while noticing Hermione scrunch her nose up with a disgusted look on her face. "Please don't mention food right now" she said while adding "I'll just go watch you eat."

After lunch, the two of them went back up to the common room to curl up on the couch. He grabbed his copy of "Quidditch through the Ages" off of the table in front of the couch and got comfortable. Hermione just laid down with her head in Harry's lap. He looked down at her concerned as he ran his hand through her hair. "Still not feeling well?" he asked her noticing how pale she was.

"I'm just really tired all of a sudden and I've got a headache" she said while closing her eyes. Within what seemed like only a couple of minutes she had fallen asleep. Harry opened his book and started reading when Neville came over and sat in the chair next to him.

"Hiya Harry!" he said quietly, noticing Hermione sleeping. "I don't think I've ever seen Hermione nap before" he said with concern "is she sick?"

"You could say that" Harry replied "it's been a hectic couple of weeks for the two of us and she's worn out" Harry explained. "How about you Neville? How was your summer?"

"It was ok, I guess. I was with Gran most of the time. Oh, I got a new wand!" he said pulling it out to show Harry. "Gran wasn't too happy that I broke my Dad's wand, but after hearing everything that happened at the Ministry I think she was just glad I was ok."

Harry's face darkened at the mention of the Ministry. "Yeah, that was a real mess" he said, not looking at Neville.

"I'm sorry Harry, I didn't mean to bring up bad memories" he said, getting up out of the chair. "I have some homework I need to finish up before tomorrow. I'll see you at the welcoming feast" he said leaving hurriedly.

Harry sat brooding quietly when he felt Hermione move suddenly. He looked down at her and noticed she was awake and paler than before. "Hermione, what's wrong?"

"I'm really not feeling very good" she said "my head feels ready to burst..."

Harry watched in fear as she fainted straight away. Scooping her up in his arms, he ran with her to the Hospital Ward. Slamming into the ward he yelled "Help! Madam Pomfrey! Where are you!?"

The nurse came bustling out of her office at the commotion and upon seeing Harry holding Hermione asked "Mr. Potter, what happened to her?"

"I don't know!" he said, his voice full of despair. "She fell asleep after complaining of having a headache and just not feeling well. She didn't eat anything at lunch either. She kind of jolted awake from her nap, really pale and said her head felt like it was going to burst. Then she just fainted!"

"Oh my, well, put her in that bed there" she said pointing one out. Harry went over and laid her down as gently as he could. He grabbed Hermione's hand in his, hoping to Merlin she would be ok. Madam Pomfrey was slowly moving her wand over Hermione's body, muttering to herself.

"Well?!" asked Harry impatiently. "Is she ok? Is the baby ok?" He had never been so scared and worried in his life.

"They're both ok for now, but I really don't like what I see. The baby's magical energy has increased significantly just since I saw her two days ago. Since she's a muggleborn, her body isn't adapting well to the surge of magic coming from the baby. It's kind of like a magical overload, and that's what caused her headache. I'm hoping her body will adapt to the excess magic, because if we can't get it under control..." the nurse trailed off looking sadly at Harry.

"What? What will happen if it's not controlled?" he asked, dreading the answer.

"It could kill her, or both of them actually. There my be something to help her, but I'm going to have to watch her for a few days before I consider it." explained the nurse.

Harry had paled as he listened to Madam Pomfrey; he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Is this normal? I mean, when other witches get pregnant, does this happen to them too?"

"Well, no, not usually. Harry, you are a very powerful wizard, and Hermione is a very powerful witch even though she's muggleborn. I'd dare say that this child has a chance of being more powerful than even Dumbledore if his magic keeps developing the way it is." The nurse stood looking at him thoughtfully. "If her condition worsens in the next couple of days, I'm going to have to give her a weak binding potion. Her magic will decrease for a short time, but it may save them both. I've only had to do it one time before, but it seemed to work pretty well."

He sat there staring at Hermione, who looked like she was just sleeping peacefully. "So last time you tried a binding potion, it saved both the mother and child?"

"Well, yes, you are standing here aren't you?" she asked with a small smile on her face.

Harry looked up at her in surprise. "My mother had the same problem Hermione is having?"

"Yes, you were such a magical baby, even in the womb. Your poor mother had such a time carrying you! I always went to their house to give her check-ups since they were in hiding and couldn't go to St. Mungo's. Her body reacted much the same as Ms. Granger's has. I always wondered if the same would happen if and when you had a child. I guess it runs in your genes." she explained.

"In my genes?" Harry said to himself, while remembering what Lupin had told him. "Madam Pomfrey, there's also something else that might have caused this." When she looked at him questioningly, he said "there's an ancient form of magic that runs in my family; fire magic. My Dad didn't know he possessed it, and I just found out recently that I had inherited it." He went on to explain to her what Lupin had told him, and when he finished, he said "so not only does my son possess regular wizarding magic, but he more than likely has inherited my fire magic abilities also."

Madam Pomfrey just stood there staring at him for a moment, then said "it would have helped me greatly knowing all of that when your Mum was carrying you. I almost lost the two of you and I had tried the binding potion as a last resort. Thank Merlin it worked because you wouldn't be standing here otherwise. I'll go see if there is anything else I may be able to use to get her better. Since I know a little more about your lineage, there may be more possibilities" she said and turned to go to her office.

Harry sat on the edge of the bed next to Hermione. He held her hand in his, while using his other hand to lightly brush the hair off of her face. "I'm so sorry you're going through all of this because of me" he said to her quietly. "I love you so much; please get better." He moved his hand from her hair to her stomach, laying it there gently. "And you, little guy, need to quit giving your Mum such a hard time already" he said smiling to himself as he thought of the little baby growing there. He turned around, laying his head on her stomach and wrapping his arms around his legs. He lay there listening to her steady breathing, his head above where he thought the baby would be and fell asleep.