Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

As Harry sat there breaking down in the middle of the floor holding Hermione, he vaguely heard three pops in the room He looked up through watery eyes to see Dumbledore, Lupin and Mr. Weasley standing there.

"Hermione!" cried Mr. Weasley as he saw who Harry was holding. "Harry, what happened?"

"I didn't mean to do it." Harry said so quietly they almost didn't hear him. "Your son Bill, or who we thought was Bill, attacked us. He was going to kill Hermione, I got upset and something happened with my hands...just help her please!"

"Bill?" asked Mr. Weasley "Where is he?"

Harry looked him in the eye, then looked over at the pile of smoldering ash on the floor. "There" was all he said.

Mr. Weasley looked to where Harry was staring and gasped. "Did you say it was my son, Bill?" he asked fearfully.

"No, we thought it was him. It turned out to be someone pretending to be him. They must have used polyjuice or something to take on his appearance." said Harry.

While they were talking about what had happened, Lupin walked over and examined Hermione. "Dumbledore" he said urgently "she's still alive, but barely. We need to get her medical attention now!"

Dumbledore only nodded and levitated Hermione off the ground. He walked with her over to the fireplace and grabbed a bag of floo powder out of his robes. He took a handful for himself and passed the bag to the others. "Lupin, Harry and I will take Hermione to Hogwarts where Madame Pomfrey can see to her. Arthur, you need to alert the Ministry and gather your family." He turned to the fireplace and said "Incendio!" He then walked into the flames with Hermione floating at his side and said "Hogwarts Headmasters Office!" and was gone. Harry and Lupin followed shortly after and found themselves in Dumbledore's office. "He's taken her to the Hospital wing already, let's go see how she is and on the way you can tell me what happened."

As they walked, Harry explained everything that happened in the shop between him and "Bill". He told Remus how Hermione was hurt and heard him gasp. Harry didn't look at him, he was afraid to see the expression on his face. "Harry" Lupin said getting his attention "you need to tell Dumbledore everything you've told me. I'm sure he will know more about your affliction than I do. I know things aren't the best between the two of you ever since the events of last term, but do you think you can talk to him?"

"Yes, I can tell him just as long as he doesn't keep anymore secrets from me." Harry replied. "What about you Remus; how have you been?"

Lupin was quiet for a few moments, and when Harry looked over at him, he saw a sad expression on his face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring up bad memories." Harry said apologetically.

"No, Harry its ok. I just miss him a lot. He was more like a brother to me than a best friend. After I lost your mom and dad he was all I had left. Now..."

He looked at Harry and smiled sadly. "How about you; how are you coping with everything?" Remus asked.

"I was glad to get out of the Dursley's house and be with my friends again. Unfortunately, we've had a bit of a falling out over the summer and I really don't know what to do to get my best friends back." Harry replied.

"Well, Harry, I'm sure that things will work themselves out. But if you ever need anyone to talk to, I will always be there for you. I know I'm not Sirius, but you're all I have left and I will do anything to help you." Remus said while stopping and looking at Harry directly.

"Marauders 'til the end?" Harry said with a slightly sad smile on his face.

"Marauders 'til the end!" Remus replied with tears in his eyes. "Let's go see if Hermione's ok." After a moment of silence they both turned and continued walking down the hall to the hospital wing.


As they entered the hospital wing, Lupin and Harry saw a bed at the far end of the room closed off from view. Dumbledore was standing there watching Madame Pomfrey bustle around a still unconscious Hermione. Dumbledore looked up at them when he heard them enter. "Harry" he said "would you mind explaining what happened in the shop?" As Harry related the story to him, his face showed the same serene expression he always wore. When he came to the part where Hermione was hurt, he heard Madame Pomfrey gasp. "It's no wonder I can't revive her. That sounds like ancient magic Albus. I'll have to mix up a special potion." She said as she hurriedly went into her office to start work on the potion.

"What does she mean Albus?" asked Lupin.

Dumbledore looked from Remus to Harry and said "Harry, please do not be angry with me, but I'm afraid I am unable to explain anything right now. I have an idea of what Madame Pomfrey speaks of, but until I know for sure what it was that happened to you today I would rather wait to explain everything to you. Is that alright with you Harry?" he asked with a weary expression on his face.

A look of anger crossed Harry's face before he took a deep breath and said "Yes, Professor, I will wait for an explanation. I just don't want to be kept in the dark anymore about anything that concerns me. You will let me know as soon as you find out everything you need to know?"

"Yes Harry, I promise you that I will no longer withhold information that concerns you. I saw how disastrous that can be last term and I don't want you to suffer like that ever again. Your welfare is my top concern right now, and not just because of the prophecy." replied Dumbledore with a small smile and the mysterious twinkle in his eyes once again.

Madame Pomfrey came out of her office with a goblet of steaming liquid. "Remus, will you please hold Ms. Grangers head up while I administer the potion?" she asked.

Nodding, Lupin walked over to the side of Hermione's bed and carefully lifted her head while the nurse opened her mouth and slowly poured the liquid in. As soon as it was all in, Lupin set her head back on the pillow, looked at Pomfrey and asked "how long before we know if it works or not?"

"It can take as long as forty-eight hours." she replied "I just hope I guessed correctly and it heals her properly."

"May I stay with her?" asked Harry "I would like to be here when she wakes up."

Madame Pomfrey was about to object when Dumbledore spoke up and said "that would be fine Harry. You can pull up a chair and sit with her. I will have one of the school elves bring you some food, and you can sleep on the bed next to hers tonight. Remus, can you bring Harry a change of clothes for the next two days?"

"Sure" replied Remus "I'll floo to the Weasley's now to get them and let them know what's going on."

After that Remus left with Dumbledore to go back to the Headmaster's office and after checking on Hermione once more, Madame Pomfrey went back to her office. Harry found a chair and pulled it alongside Hermione's bed. He sat down and reached for her hand as he said "I'm so sorry for what I did Hermione. Please come back to me." As he said this he laid his head down on the bed next to her and let the tears run down his face.