Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard


Hermione made it through all her classes, and finally sat down in the Great Hall for dinner. She was surprised to see her parents sitting next to Harry at the table.

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked while sitting down between Harry and her Mum.

"Professor Dumbledore said that it would be ok to eat down here with you tonight in celebration of your birthday" her Mum said.

Just as she said this, a giant cake appeared in front of her on the table with the rest of the food. It was a three tiered cake with white frosting and little Gryffindor crests that were about an inch apart all the way around each layer. On the top there was a giant 16 candle that was lit and sparklers on either side of it.

"Oh my, what a beautiful cake!" Hermione exclaimed, her eyes bright.

"Dobby is making just for Miss" said Dobby, suddenly appearing behind her. "Does Miss like her cake?"

"Yes, Dobby, thank-you so much! It's wonderful!" she said giving him a big smile.

By this time the entire Great Hall was abuzz with gossip about what was going on at their table. Meanwhile, all the Gryffindors were getting as close as they could to try and nab some cake. Ginny walked up to Hermione and handed her a gift. "I was hoping that we could be friends again" she said hopefully.

"I would like that" said Hermione while taking the gift from her. Lavender handed her a present too, along with a couple other classmates. She opened them to find they had gotten her a top notch quill, a new book bag and Lavender gave her a bottle of perfume that smelled incredible. "Thank-you so much for the gifts you guys! This has been the best birthday!" she said looking at everyone around her.

"It's not done yet honey" said her Mum while handing her another present. Hermione took it from her and opened it right away.

When she opened the box she gasped and looked wide eyed at the beautiful necklace inside. "Mum, this is so pretty! Thank-you so much!!" She opened it and saw two pictures inside. On the left side was a picture of her Mum and Dad; the right side held a picture of her and Harry that looked to be taken a couple of years before. She handed it to Harry, silently asking him to put it on. When Harry finally figured out the clasp and had secured it to her neck, she looked down to see it sparkling from the light in the Hall. She saw the four different colored stones and asked "Are these birthstones for the four of us?"

"Yes, and if you ever want to add more you can" her Mum said smiling.

"I have something for you too" said Harry grabbing her attention. He gave her another box, and smiled as she excitedly peeled away the wrapping paper. When she finally got the box open, her mouth fell open at the sight of the bracelet laying there. It was the gold one her mother had picked out in the jewelry store that had interlocking hearts. Harry's name was engraved on one heart and Hermione's was on the other with their birthstone under their name.

"Oh...Harry this is gorgeous!" she cried while leaning over to give him a quick kiss.

"It matches the necklace from your parents and the ring I gave you" he said smiling and taking the bracelet from her. He put the bracelet on her wrist, saying "you sparkle like a Christmas Tree!"

"I feel so...so..." she tried to get out the rest but couldn't because she was crying so hard.

"Hermione..."started Harry, but stopped when she gave him a watery smile.

"I'm ok; I'm just so grateful for all these wonderful presents! I'm so lucky to have such great people in my life!" she said, while trying to pull herself together.

"Can we have cake now?" asked Ron, breaking up the emotional moment.

"I swear, do you ever get full?" Hermione asked, trying to look serious and failing.

"I did once, it was when..." Harry cut him off from what would probably be a very long story by saying "Let's cut the cake and dig in!"

Once everyone had had their fill of cake, they all made their way back to the Gryffindor common room. Before walking through the portrait hole, Hermione said goodnight to her parents.

"So are you coming to our room early in the morning?" her Mum asked giving her a hug.

"Yes, I'm going to have to try to get Lavender and Ginny to come with me somehow. Do you have all the dresses in your room?" Hermione asked.

"All three of them are hanging in our room" said her Dad giving her a hug also. "I can't believe I'm giving away my little girl tomorrow" he said hugging her tighter.

"I'll always be your little girl Daddy" she said hugging him back. "You'll never be rid of me no matter what!" They all laughed and said their good-byes. "I'll be up to your room at six in the morning!" called Hermione down the hall after them. When they waved in acknowledgement, she turned and went through the portrait hole.

The common room had quite a few students in it, but she noticed Harry and Ron were missing. Seeing as she had to get up so early in the morning, she decided to head up to her room. She made sure she had everything ready for the following day and got dressed in her nightgown. After writing an entry in her journal, she crawled in bed and tried to go to sleep. After a couple of hours of her mind racing with thoughts, she finally relaxed enough to fall asleep.


Meanwhile, Harry and Ron were in the Room of Requirement relaxing and discussing different things. The room was set up like the Leaky Cauldron, and they sat at one of the tables drinking butterbeer.

"This was a great idea mate" said Harry after taking a drink "I don't think I'll be able to sleep anytime soon."

"I figured you might be a little wound up. I know I would be if I was in your shoes" he said smiling.

"Gee, thanks" said Harry grimacing. "You sure you're ok with everything?"

"I've accepted it if that's what you mean. I just want tomorrow to go smoothly for the both of you" said Ron.

"Me too. Hopefully all of this secrecy will pay off and we'll have a peaceful ceremony" said Harry hopefully. "That reminds me, there's a favor I need to ask of you."

"Name it" said Ron in reply.

"Do you think you would be able to be my best man?" asked Harry. He laughed at the shocked look on Ron's face and added "of course, if you don't want to I'm sure Remus would be glad to do it."

"No, no of course I'll bloody well do it!" exclaimed Ron quickly. "You just took me by surprise is all."

"Great! By the way, your parents are coming tomorrow thinking they have a conference with Dumbledore about you." When Ron glared at him, he said "sorry mate, it's the only way to get them here without telling them the truth."

"Just as long as you let them know when they get here that I'm not in any kind of trouble" said Ron. "I don't need the wrath of my Mum tomorrow; I'll be nervous enough thinking about standing in front of all those students."

"You and me both!" said Harry holding up his bottle and clinking it together with Ron's in a silent toast.


The next morning, Hermione's muggle alarm clock went off at exactly six a.m. and she opened her eyes slowly. When she remembered why she was getting up so early, she sat up quickly to get out of bed. Unfortunately, it was too fast and her morning sickness attacked with zeal. She covered her mouth quickly and ran into the bathroom, barely making it in time. After rinsing out her mouth and washing her face, she quickly downed her daily potion to prevent any other bouts of nausea. She got dressed in a pair of sweat pants and a loose fitting t-shirt, then grabbed the things she set out the night before. Making her way down to the common room, she laughed at the sight before her. Harry was sprawled out asleep on the couch, his left arm draped over the back and his right leg hanging off the side. Ron was slouched down in the chair next to him with his mouth open, snoring loudly. She walked over to where Ron was and started shaking him lightly, trying to wake him up. When that was no good, she tried hitting his arm with no result either.

"Ron! Ron! Wake up!" she hissed, trying not to wake Harry. When he continued to snore, she gave up and walked over to Harry. 'I know its bad luck to see each other, but if I don't get him up now he might be late!' she reasoned with herself.

"Harry!" she said while rubbing his arm. When he didn't respond, she leaned over and placed her lips on his. She held them there, adding more pressure, then brushing her lips across his gently. He started to stir and then opened his eyes. She grinned slightly as she took his bottom lip between her teeth gently and sucked on it, eliciting a groan from him.

"Merlin, Hermione, you sure do know how to wake someone up!" he said with a goofy grin plastered on his face.

"Yeah, well, I already tried to wake Ron but he's out like a light" she said while pointing over to where Ron was sleeping.

"You tried to wake him...like you woke me up?" he raised his eyebrows in question.

"No you idiot! I tried to wake him up the normal way! Do you think me a scarlet woman?" she asked in mock indignation.

"No,it's just...I just woke up alright?" he asked grumpily.

"I just wanted to make sure you were up before I leave to get ready. I know it's traditional not to see each other before the wedding, but like I said I couldn't wake Ron" she explained.

"Sorry,we didn't get much sleep. I'll get him up and we'll start getting ready too" he said while he stood up and then helped Hermione up also. "Thank-you for the nice wake-up. I guess the next time I see you is when you're walking down the aisle with your Dad huh?"

"Yes, I'm so nervous about doing this in front of the whole school. But I really don't want to think about what people would say if I was walking around six months pregnant and not married" said Hermione looking at their entwined hands.

"Hey, look at me. I love you, and I'll keep saying it until you believe me plus everyday after that" Harry said, squeezing her hand. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know Harry, I love you too no matter what I say or how I act sometimes. This all seems like a very strange dream sometimes and I just keep waiting to wake up". After standing there silently for a while, Hermione squeezed his hand once more. "Well, I better go" she said, then let go of his hand and walked towards the portrait hole. Just as she was about to open it, Harry said "I'll see you soon Mrs. Potter!" Smiling, she blew him a kiss and left.

Hermione had made her way up to her parents room and was currently sitting in front of a mirror while her Mum tried to do her hair. She was impatiently waiting for Ginny and Lavender to show up. She couldn't wait to tell them just what was going to happen today and what role they could play in it. She had been dying to tell someone, anyone really. But she knew for everyone's safety she had to keep her mouth shut. She looked at her hair and couldn't believe how nice it looked! Her Mum had used some kind of muggle gel on it that had defined the curls in her hair. Her Mum had also used curlers on the pieces that were kind of straight so that her hair was just a mass of curls that went just past her bra strap. Two of the pieces that hung down on either side of her face had been pinned up on either side of her head to keep it out of her face.

Now it was time to put her headpiece on and she loved it; it was a wreath of flowers made mostly from baby's breath with baby roses that were the same color as the bridesmaid dress intertwined. She had bought some gold and burgundy ribbon and laced it through the flowers then left two long pieces loose in the back to hang down. She looked from her reflection to her wedding dress and smiled dreamily. It reminded her of a dress a bride would wear during renaissance days. The color was a pure, bright white color and the dress had intricate beadwork from the princess bodice to the very bottom of the floor length skirt. It had a scoop neckline with lacey bell sleeves and was off-the-shoulder. The train of the dress was not very long, and the dress made her feel like she was floating on a cloud when she wore it. She was still staring at it when she heard a knock on the door. Breaking out of her daydream, she called "Come in!"

She watched as Lavender and Ginny walked into her Mum and Dad's room. Their eyes grew wide when they saw Hermione sitting in the chair with her hair done so elegantly.

"Hi guys!" she said with a huge smile on her face "glad you could make it!"

"Hermione, what's going on?" asked Ginny with confusion written all over her face.

"Well... I'm getting married today!" she said and laughed at the shocked looks on their faces. "You know how Dumbledore announced that there would be an assembly today? Well, it's not an assembly, it's my wedding!"

They were still staring dumbfounded at her when Lavender asked "who are you marrying?"

"Harry of course!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, of course!" Ginny said looking really confused. "Hermione, what the bloody hell is going on?!"

"I'll tell you the short version because we really don't have much time to get ready, seeing as it's already nine o'clock. Do you promise not to utter one single word of what I'm going to tell you?" When they both nodded their heads yes, she explained "Harry and I got really close this summer." Her mother made a choking noise when she said this, earning her a glare.

"You're not kidding when you say you got close" her mother said.

Rolling her eyes, she said "with all of us fighting most of the summer, and Ron confessing his feelings for me it was awkward being at the Burrow. I went to stay at Grimmauld Place with Harry and we had a long talk about everything that had been going on. Anyway, things happened and we slept together. About three weeks ago I found out I'm pregnant." Ginny and Lavender gasped at this, looking at her unbelievably. "I was stupid and didn't cast any protection spells beforehand. Right now I'm almost two months along. Harry and I love each other; when he asked me to marry him I said yes. We just had to wait for my birthday yesterday for it to be legal." She looked from Ginny to Lavender waiting for a response, but none came. They looked really shocked, to say the least. "I asked you two here to ask if you'd be my bridesmaids?" She took the bridesmaid dresses down from where they were hanging and showed them. "Mum and I picked these out and they're charmed to fit you automatically. So will you do it?"

Suddenly the two girls let out squeals of delight and launched themselves at Hermione. She couldn't really decipher what they were saying because they were both blabbering on and hugging her. "So I'll take this as a yes?" she said teasingly.

"Of course, you twit!" said Ginny, finally pulling herself together. "Why didn't you ask us sooner?"

"We all agreed to keep it a secret until this morning. We didn't want Voldemort to find out ahead of time and ruin it by trying to kill Harry in the middle of the ceremony" explained Hermione.

"Oh yeah, well I could see how that would put a damper on things" Lavender said flippantly.

"Well, let's get you girls ready too!" said her Mum, motioning them over to the mirror. They decided to keep Ginny's red hair down and straight since it was only to her shoulders. Lavender's blond hair was braided and it hung down to the middle of her back. They also had wreaths that matched Hermione's to wear. When it was time to put on the dresses, they just loved the burgundy color and the way they fit. They looked so pretty; it reminded Hermione of a fairytale. When she finally got her dress on, the girls just stood staring with their mouths open.

"Hermione, that dress is beautiful!" said Ginny. "You're absolutely glowing! Harry won't know what hit him when he sees you!"

"I agree; you look wonderful Hermione" said Lavender. Hermione couldn't help it; she looked up with tears in her eyes after hearing their compliments.

"I'm glad we didn't put much makeup on you" said her Mum walking up to her and carefully giving her a hug. "Oh, we almost forgot the bouquets!" said her Mum bustling over to a small closet that sat in the corner. She brought out Hermione's first. It had five silk burgundy roses mixed in with burgundy colored mums and white silk Lily's. They had gotten fake flowers for the bouquets so they could keep them longer. Ginny and Lavender's bouquets were the same, only smaller in size. Hermione's Dad walked in from the bathroom that was attached to their room dressed in a normal muggle tuxedo.

"Wow, you girls look spectacular!" he said, smiling happily. He looked at his wife who was dressed in a beautiful silk dress that matched the bridesmaid dress; the only difference was that it had short sleeves instead of spaghetti straps. "You look wonderful Love" he said, walking over and giving his wife a kiss. "Well, are we all ready to go?"

"Almost, I just need to get the shoes." Her Mum walked over to the bed where they were all lined up and brought them over. They had made sure to get shoes that were the same color as their dresses with low heels that were easy to walk in. Hermione didn't know about the other girls, but she didn't feel like tripping and falling in front of the whole school. While they were walking toward the door, Hermione said "we'll be going down a different way so that hopefully no one will see us. Dumbledore said that the way we are going is hardly used by anyone anymore. When we get downstairs we'll be in one of the empty classrooms until Remus comes to get us."

They all made their way downstairs with only one run-in with a student. It was a third year Gryffindor that Hermione recognized. She just gave them all a strange look and kept walking. They reached the classroom and went in, making sure to close the door and lock it. "Not much longer now" said her Dad smiling.

While the girls were getting ready in her parents room, Harry and Ron were playing wizards chess in the common room. Of course Harry was losing, but today was worse than usual. He just couldn't concentrate on the game at all. After losing for the sixth time, he looked at Ron and asked "Am I doing the right thing?"

Ron rolled his eyes and said "Harry, mate, how many times do I have to tell you? You.are.doing.the.right.thing" emphasizing each word, trying to get his point across.

"Sorry, I'm just really nervous for some reason" explained Harry.

"Maybe it's because once you're married in the wizarding world it's for life. It's not like a muggle marriage where they get devickted all the time."

Harry looked at Ron with a weird expression on his face. "Devickted? Do you mean Divorced?" Ron shrugged his shoulders, not really sure what word he wanted. "You know, I hadn't thought about that part of being married. For life, huh?"

Ron looked up to see that Harry's face had taken on a kind of greenish color. "Are you ok Harry?" he asked concerned.

"Uh, yeah just a small case of cold feet" Harry said getting up and pacing by the table they were playing at.

"Cold feet? It's bloody hot in here, how can your feet be cold?" Ron asked, thoroughly confused.

"It's a muggle expression Ron. It means that the bride or groom start wondering if they really want to get married" explained Harry.

"Oh, alright." Just then the portrait hole opened and Remus walked in. He walked over to where they were and asked "all ready to go Harry?"

"Sure" Harry said unconvincingly. Remus looked from him to Ron with a wondering look on his face. "Harry's feet are cold" was all he said while shrugging his shoulders. Harry couldn't help it, he started laughing and couldn't stop. Remus went over to him and laying a hand on his shoulder asked "are you ok Harry?"

"Ye-Yeah" he said, barely getting the word out because he was still laughing. Finally getting himself under control, he said "thanks Ron, I needed that."

Harry turned and ran upstairs to get his dress robes while Ron and Remus looked after him like he was going insane. He came back down about ten minutes later with his and Ron's robes and shoes. "So where are we going to get ready?" he asked, handing Ron his robes.

"We're using one of the empty classrooms by the Great Hall to get ready in. When we're all dressed, we'll go into the hall to wait. We'll be in the room up by the head table; the one you went in after you were picked for the Tri-Wizard tournament. Thanks to Professor McGonagall the Hall is already decorated. We'll go stand in the front with Dumbledore when he gives us the signal." When the two boys nodded in agreement, he turned and made his way out of the room with them in tow.


After getting dressed in the classroom and going into the great hall, they made their way into the antechamber attached to the front of the Hall. Dumbledore soon joined them and said "well, Harry are you all ready for today?"

"I think so Sir" Harry replied quietly.

Dumbledore smiled while motioning for them to follow him into the Hall and took his place in front of the head table. Harry stood to the right of him with Ron and Remus standing behind him. Harry adjusted his robes nervously; he hoped he looked ok. He chose to wear his black silk dress robes today; he had thought about buying new ones, but figured if his still fit and were in good condition then there was no need. He noticed as Colin came into the hall looking around in bewilderment and motioned for him to join them up front. Harry had sent Hedwig an hour before to deliver a message to him to come to the hall at ten forty-five and to bring his camera. Colin walked up to him and he said "hi Colin! Thanks for coming!"

"Sure Harry, but what's going on?" he asked still looking around in confusion.

"Well, Colin I'm getting married today and I'd like you to be the photographer" Harry said nonchalantly.

"Wha...?" was all Colin seemed to be able to get out.

"Can you do it?" Harry asked trying to suppress a smile.

"Sure I can!" Colin almost yelled in his excitement. "Who's the lucky girl Harry?"

"Hermione" was all Harry said.

"Of course, stupid question. Well, I'm going to walk around and find the best places to take the pictures" he said backing away from the group. "Thanks for asking me to do this Harry" he said gratefully.

The four of them continued to stand at the front of the Hall until eleven o'clock finally rolled around and the students started trickling in. Harry watched as looks of confusion adorned their faces as they sat in the chairs that had been set out.

When the entire school had filed into the Hall, Remus left to get the bridal party and Dumbledore raised his hands to get the students attention. "By now, you have realized that this isn't going to be an assembly. You have all gathered here today to witness a wedding." When all the shocked murmurs quieted down, he continued "this is a ceremony to join Harry Potter and his fiancee, Hermione Granger." The entire Hall erupted with noise as everyone started talking when this was announced and the Headmaster yelled "QUIET!!!" The Hall went silent and he said "Thank you. As I was saying, they have decided to wed today. They realized after the attack on Platform 9 3/4 that they didn't want to wait, and when they approached me with the idea I agreed to it. I know this is unconventional, but there are circumstances that made my decision easier to make. If any of you feel uncomfortable or just don't want to be here, you may leave." As soon as he finished his sentence, what looked to be the entire Slytherin contingent got up and left. After waiting to see if anyone else would go, Dumbledore said "Ok, let the ceremony commence."

Nodding his head at Professor McGonagall, who was standing in the doorway to the anteroom, she waved her wand and music started playing throughout the Hall. The doors opened and Lavender started walking down the aisle, followed a short time later by Ginny. Hermione stood just outside the doors with both of her parents, who had both decided to walk her down the aisle. Hermione stood just outside the doors to the Hall, looking in amazement at the decorations. Someone, more than likely Professor McGonagall, had transformed it into a beautiful forest setting. The floor was covered in grass, and the aisle through the center of the chairs was dirt. There were trees surrounding the seating area, and where the head table used to be there were rocks and boulders situated around where the wedding party stood. On the right side behind Harry there was a beautiful waterfall cascading down the rocks and ending in a pool just behind Dumbledore.

Where Dumbledore stood, there was an archway made of wood that he, Harry and Hermione would stand under. There were beautiful white lilies and white roses entwined with green vines of leaves all around the arch. Where the walls had been, there was now what looked to be an endless forest and the enchanted ceiling reflected the warm, beautiful sunny day that was right outside. She couldn't believe how wonderful it all looked! She snapped out of her reverie when her Dad wrapped her arm around his and her Mum did the same. She heard the traditional strains of the Wedding March start, and started to make her way down the aisle. She heard clicking and looked over to the corner to see Colin Creevey taking pictures of her as she walked. She looked around as she walked and saw all the stunned students staring at her. When she started feeling really nervous, she looked straight ahead and saw Harry. 'He looks so handsome' she thought wistfully while giving him a dazzling smile and relaxing.

When they finally made it to the front, they stopped in front of Dumbledore and he asked "Do you give your daughter to Harry freely and without prejudice?"

"We do" said her parents in unison, then they kissed her on the cheek and went to their seats. Hermione walked over to stand next to Harry and he took her hand in his. "You look beautiful" he said so only she could hear.

"You look handsome" she said in return, then turned her attention to Dumbledore when he quietly cleared his throat. "We are gathered here today to join together this witch and wizard in matrimony. If there is anyone present that has just cause to object, speak now or forever hold your peace." When no one spoke up Harry and Hermione released the breaths they didn't know they were holding. "Then let us continue. 'Love is patient, love is kind. It does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It does not boast, it is not proud. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.' That is a famous quote from what the muggles call The Good Book, and I think it sums up what love and marriage is all about. Harry; Hermione you are here today to pledge your everlasting love to one another."

Dumbledore looked at Harry and said "Harry, do you take Hermione as your wife freely? Do you promise to honor, love, cherish, protect and respect her for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do" said Harry staring into Hermione's eyes and holding her hands in both of his.

"Hermione" Dumbledore said while turning towards her "do you take Harry as your husband freely? Do you promise to honor, love, cherish, protect and respect him for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do" said Hermione, looking at Harry and smiling with tears in her eyes

"Do we have the rings?" Dumbledore asked, and everyone laughed as Remus hit Ron in the arm to get his attention. He reached into the pocket of his robes and brought out the ring box. He gave it to Dumbledore, looking embarrassed. Dumbledore opened the box, took the rings out and gave them to Harry and Hermione. "Harry, repeat after me: with this ring, I thee wed."

"With this ring, I thee wed" said Harry while slipping the ring on Hermione's finger.

"Hermione, repeat after me: with this ring, I thee wed."

"With this ring, I-I thee wed" stuttered out Hermione while slipping the ring on Harry's finger.

"As Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot and Chairman of the International Confederation of Wizards, I now pronounce you Husband and Wife. You may now seal your bond with a kiss."

Harry smiled down at Hermione and bent down, lightly touching his lips to hers. After lingering for a moment, Harry pulled back and they both looked at Dumbledore as he raised his arms and said "Blessed Be!"

"Blessed Be!" was repeated by every student in the hall, and then they all burst out clapping and cheering. Ron and Remus were patting Harry on the back while Ginny and Lavender were giving Hermione congratulatory hugs. Hermione's parents walked up to give each of them a hug also as Dumbledore proclaimed "Let the party begin!"


*from The Bible:1 Corintheans 13:4-
***To see a picture of the wedding dress, go to:

http://wedding.weddingchannel.com/fashion/popup.asp?type=gown&designerID=228&breadcrumb=/fashion/gown_bride.asp&count=4&large=yes