Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

Harry sat by Hermione's bedside for an undeterminable amount of time that day. He sat holding her hand and talking to her about anything he could think of. He watched for any signs that she was waking up, but she just lay there peacefully. After a while he heard a commotion outside the hospital's door and looked up in time to see the doors slam open forcefully.

"What the hell did you do to her!!!" yelled a very red faced Ron. "It's not bad enough you hurt her feelings, you had to physically hurt her too?"

Harry stood up so fast that his chair went flying out behind him. He watched as Ron stormed over to where he was and got right into his face. "Get out Ron" said Harry gritting his teeth and balling his fists trying very hard to control his anger.

"You may be the boy-who-lived Potter" Ron spit out "but you will not tell me what to do, ever! She is my friend too whether you like it or not!"

"Taking lessons from Malfoy are we? Two can play that game Weasley" said Harry snidely as his eyes took on a red glow. Ron saw Harry's eyes flare to life and started backing away.

"What's the matter Ron? Don't want to back up that big mouth of yours?" Harry lifted his right hand palm up and there was a flame dancing there in his hand. Ron's eyes grew wide with fear as he tried to make his way to the doors. "Where do you think you're going? We're going to finish this stupid fight and I'm going to take that ego of yours down a notch!" There was now a fully formed ball of fire resting on Harry's hand that had grown while he spoke. He drew back his hand, and...

"HARRY!!!" shouted Remus as he ran into the room. He ran between the two boys and grabbed Harry's arm before he could do anything. "What do you think you are doing?!"

Harry looked at Remus and saw the disappointed look on his face. His eyes lost their glow and he looked at the floor in shame. "I-I don't know what I was going to do" he said quietly with fear evident in his voice.

"You were going to kill me, you wanker! Do you think we're stupid enough to believe you didn't mean to do that?" yelled Ron becoming angry all over again.

"Ron!" Lupin yelled "You need to leave NOW! I will speak to your father when I am done talking to Harry. You need to go home and calm down."

Ron gave Harry one last hate filled look and stormed out the doors. Remus let go of Harry's hand and noticed it was back to normal. "What is going on with you Harry?" he asked as he sat on the empty bed next to Hermione's. "I've never known you to be that aggressive before. What did Ron say to you?"

Harry walked over and sat next to him. "He yelled at me for hurting her and talked to me the way that Malfoy always does. I'm sick of him acting like this; it's been this way since I arrived at the Burrow."

Remus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and said "you really need to tell Dumbledore what happened just now. I don't know what's happening to you, but if you don't get it under control somehow you may end up killing someone else." Harry just nodded and put his head in his hands. He sat that way for a while going over what he had almost done when he heard Remus leave the ward.

"Harry?" he heard a soft voice say. He snapped his head up to look at Hermione and saw her looking back at him.

"Hermione?" he asked "How are you feeling?"

"My body is really sore" she said "what happened to me?"

Harry sat there for a moment and then said "let me get Madame Pomfrey so she can check you over. I'll be right back." He then walked back to find Pomfrey sitting in her office. "She's awake" is all he said before turning around and walking out the doors into the hallway.


Harry found himself in front of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to Dumbledore's office. He ran through every sweet he could think of until he was finally allowed in. He walked up the steps and knocked on the office door.

"Come in Harry" called Dumbledore. Harry walked into the office and sat in one of the chairs in front of the Headmasters desk. "Remus said that there was another incident in the hospital ward. Care to explain what happened?" he said looking Harry right in the eye. Harry noticed the familiar twinkle in Dumbledore's eyes was no longer present. He told of the events that had transpired and what had happened with his hands again. Dumbledore sat quietly listening until Harry had finished talking. "Harry, I know you are not going to like what I am going to say, but I think that it is time for you to go to Grimmauld Place."

Harry sat there staring at Dumbledore while a mixture of emotions played across his face. That was the last place in the world that he wanted to go. He would rather go back to the Dursley's until school started if it meant he didn't have to go back to that house.

"Why?" is all that Harry could say. "Well, Harry, after what just happened I feel it would be best for you to be separated from your friends for a while." As Harry started to object, Dumbledore put a hand up to stop him. "You need to get your anger under control. That is obviously what is triggering these episodes and you need to be trained on how to stay calm even in the worst of times. Otherwise Harry, I am afraid there are going to be grave consequences."

Harry couldn't say anything. He was shocked that Dumbledore would just send him to Grimmauld by himself. "Sir, will Remus be going with me?" he asked hesitantly.

"Of course Harry. It's not like your being exiled. We just need to sort things out and let everything get back to some semblance of normalcy. Remus has gone to get the rest of your things from the Weasleys and then he will be taking you to the house." As he said this, the flames in the fireplace roared to life and Lupin walked out with Harry's trunk.

"Ready to go Harry?" asked Remus with an unreadable expression on his face.

"As ready as I'm going to be" said Harry as he grabbed some floo powder, walked into the flames and yelled "Number 12 Grimmauld Place!" and disappeared.